PDA

View Full Version : 7th Disney Trip in the can! Highlights

k10
06-06-2013, 12:54 PM
Disney. May 28 - 31 2013. Stayed at the Pop Century. Here's some highlights...

Best Parts:

-Had really good dinners at Chefs de France & Hollywood Brown Derby. Excellent quick service in Morocco and Mexico.

-Enjoyed the heck outta EMHs at night. Spent them all at MK, doing rollercoasters at night. So fun and terrifying to ride Thunder Mountain in the dark of night. And the Jungle Cruise seems even funnier when it's nearing 11pm and the Cast Members are starting to lose it.

-Tower of Terror 2 times in a row. Not my record, but still pretty thrilling.

-Got to do Soarin' back to back with little to no wait. Unheard of!

-Walked around DTD the night we arrived and I actually enjoyed it. As I got into my late 20s and now early 30s, I started to hate DTD. Who cares about Planet Hollywood and all the shopping? I'm not at Disney to buy Legos or eat at a Rainforest Cafe. But it was nice to have no plans that night and just wander. Ended up at Paradiso 37 for some chips, dips and tequila. Live music was fun, as well.

Weird Parts:

-I got screamed at by a Cast Member at Star Tours for reaching out for a pair of 3-D glasses that were not near my Gate. "NO! I didn't tell you go grab glasses! I told you to go to Gate A, row 4!".

-We had a bus driver w/ apparent road rage. She was honking and flashing lights at people non stop from Epcot to POP. She'd even left the bus at Epcot to yell at some guest about something. I was a little worried that she was going to get us into an accident. Needless to say, I let Disney know about that one and scored 12 Fast Pass tickets for my September trip.

-Saw a family flip out on Cast Members by the Studio Catering bar at DHS. It was so un-magical, it really made all the guests in line for the bar really uncomfortable. The father was yelling at Cast Members as they were going behind the scenes, discarding of trash, just doing their job. It was really, really aggressive and rude. I wish they'd picked a better place to sit. And/or kept their mouths shut.

Overall, I'd say I had a good trip. I wrote a separate review of POP in the Accommodations thread and of the Hollywood Brown Derby in the dining thread.

Looking forward to my next trip in September!

faline
06-06-2013, 01:05 PM
Glad you had a good trip!!

Butters
06-06-2013, 02:15 PM
sounds like fun, we'll be in POP in 9 days!!! :thumbsup:

thads
06-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Disney. May 28 - 31 2013. Stayed at the Pop Century. Here's some highlights...

Best Parts:

-Had really good dinners at Chefs de France & Hollywood Brown Derby. Excellent quick service in Morocco and Mexico.

-Enjoyed the heck outta EMHs at night. Spent them all at MK, doing rollercoasters at night. So fun and terrifying to ride Thunder Mountain in the dark of night. And the Jungle Cruise seems even funnier when it's nearing 11pm and the Cast Members are starting to lose it.

-Tower of Terror 2 times in a row. Not my record, but still pretty thrilling.

-Got to do Soarin' back to back with little to no wait. Unheard of!

-Walked around DTD the night we arrived and I actually enjoyed it. As I got into my late 20s and now early 30s, I started to hate DTD. Who cares about Planet Hollywood and all the shopping? I'm not at Disney to buy Legos or eat at a Rainforest Cafe. But it was nice to have no plans that night and just wander. Ended up at Paradiso 37 for some chips, dips and tequila. Live music was fun, as well.

Weird Parts:

-I got screamed at by a Cast Member at Star Tours for reaching out for a pair of 3-D glasses that were not near my Gate. "NO! I didn't tell you go grab glasses! I told you to go to Gate A, row 4!".

-We had a bus driver w/ apparent road rage. She was honking and flashing lights at people non stop from Epcot to POP. She'd even left the bus at Epcot to yell at some guest about something. I was a little worried that she was going to get us into an accident. Needless to say, I let Disney know about that one and scored 12 Fast Pass tickets for my September trip.

-Saw a family flip out on Cast Members by the Studio Catering bar at DHS. It was so un-magical, it really made all the guests in line for the bar really uncomfortable. The father was yelling at Cast Members as they were going behind the scenes, discarding of trash, just doing their job. It was really, really aggressive and rude. I wish they'd picked a better place to sit. And/or kept their mouths shut.

Overall, I'd say I had a good trip. I wrote a separate review of POP in the Accommodations thread and of the Hollywood Brown Derby in the dining thread.

Looking forward to my next trip in September!

Thanks for sharing the Weird Parts in the format you did. I actually have come to enjoy hearing about cast members out of character like that. Let's face it, when you hire like Disney does, you are going to hire a few bad eggs, or folks will just have an off day. We are all just human.

When you have tons of positive experiences, events like these really stand out. In downtown urban USA, these events would be normal, but at Disney they are outstandingly obvious. I have begun to look for them on my vacations like the are hidden Mickey's. Maybe I will start taking pictures of cast members behaving badly and start wearing them around like pins.:thumbsup:

Katzateer
06-07-2013, 08:59 AM
Sounds like most of your trip was fun. Thanks for sharing!:mickey:

January-2007
06-07-2013, 09:33 AM
Thanks for reporting.

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-07-2013, 09:39 AM
thanks for the report

k10
06-07-2013, 10:45 AM
Thanks for sharing the Weird Parts in the format you did. I actually have come to enjoy hearing about cast members out of character like that. Let's face it, when you hire like Disney does, you are going to hire a few bad eggs, or folks will just have an off day. We are all just human.

When you have tons of positive experiences, events like these really stand out. In downtown urban USA, these events would be normal, but at Disney they are outstandingly obvious. I have begun to look for them on my vacations like the are hidden Mickey's. Maybe I will start taking pictures of cast members behaving badly and start wearing them around like pins.:thumbsup:

brilliant!!!

hoping my review of my September trip will be completely different!!!

DonaldDuckUSA
06-07-2013, 04:37 PM
Yeah! Big Thunder is a BLAST at night! :number1: BDF actually doesn't love BTR (so weird), but he really enjoyed it at night. It's like night and day, right? :funny:

I feel the same way about Downtown Disney. I never really liked it until recently. Now I love to stroll, window shop and buy a little appetizer or snack somewhere.

DisneyDawgette
06-13-2013, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the report! Your short, quippy style made it a lot of fun to read! :)

yjgirl32
06-14-2013, 08:41 AM
Thanks for sharing.

vizsla
06-15-2013, 06:53 AM
Thanks for the report.

princessgirls
06-17-2013, 10:29 AM
Glad you had a great vacation!!!

Thanks for sharing!
Julie:mickey:

emerzmom
06-17-2013, 11:58 AM
Thanks for sharing your trip. I have never been to WDW in the really hot months and I can only imagine that the heat and crowds wears cast members and guests down a little. I am glad your trip overall was magical.
:tink:
Julie

pdrlkr
06-21-2013, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey: