PDA

View Full Version : Big ship to smaller ship

Gayle
06-06-2013, 12:21 PM
We my DH and I went on our very first cruise. On the Disney Fantasy. Looking to book a cruise Oct 2014, Looking at the Disney Wonder or Magic. How much of a let down would it be. The Fantasy was fantastic, words cannot say how wonderful it was. I just am having a hard time deciding what we should do. Thank you:mickey:

Scar
06-06-2013, 01:08 PM
I went on The Wonder first, then The Dream a few years later. I would have no problem doing the smaller ship again. I found both equally enjoyable.

Kenny1113
06-06-2013, 04:51 PM
As far as DCL goes, we did the wonder first. We had done larger ships through other cruise lines. We have done the larger ships since. I personally like the smaller ships better.

BrerGnat
06-06-2013, 05:21 PM
I am a "large ship" person. The bigger, the better, IMO. I like the excitement, and the crowds that others speak of don't ever bother me.

We went on the Dream and I did not feel it was a large ship, really. My main gripe with it was that there really wasn't much to DO other than the pool deck, Aquaduck, mini golf, etc. During the day, the ship was rather quiet, and dare I say, boring. :blush:

I can't imagine going on one of the classic ships for more than a few days at most. I am thinking about the Magic after its drydock, as it looks like the additions will make the ship much more fun. However, I really do wonder what people DO all day on the ships, when the "scheduled activities" don't appeal to them. The adult only bars/clubs are not open until evening. We spent a fair amount of time in our cabin, watching movies. I did like the full sized theater on the Dream, and think that is great! I don't think the smaller ships have as large of a theater, do they?

I always hear about the smaller ships being more "intimate", but what do people really mean about that? Less passengers? More crew? What? I'm not interested in being "intimate" with strangers. ;)

DizneyRox
06-06-2013, 07:45 PM
All the public spaces are really much smaller than on the new ships. For example, I thought I was looking in a mirror at Topsiders you could easily see one end to the other, I'm guessing the Dream/Fantasy is at least twice as large. Same with the theaters, dining rooms, etc.

The dry dock isn't going to do much about that I think, but I'd still be interested in seeing the classic ships after the redo.

I don't think I'd go on them again before the work though. While not falling apart, they were really showing their age

BrerGnat
06-07-2013, 02:06 PM
I don't think I'd go on them again before the work though. While not falling apart, they were really showing their age

I agree with this. The photos of the cabins are just...I don't know. Very 90's looking, I think. Totally outdated and they just never appealed to me. The cabins on the Dream are just gorgeous: high end finishes, high quality linens, beautiful furniture, etc. I really felt like it was "luxury". In fact, the whole ship felt that way to me.

From pictures and videos of the classic ships, they really do look quite well worn and outdated in the rooms and public areas.

The drydock for the Magic seems to be addressing a LOT, so it will probably feel like a whole new ship afterwards.

thejens
06-08-2013, 01:18 AM
What do I do...? I read a book on my balcony while the kids are in kids club. ahhh... Heaven!
But that is just me! :)