PDA

View Full Version : Sitting in the hospital

disney obsessed
06-06-2013, 10:22 AM
I went to visit my mom yesterday and she had a stroke sometime between breakfast and 11:30 when I got there. The location effected language, so her speach is garbled. She has improved but I doubt it will get much better. At least she can now follow direction and communicate.

I have a strange feeling of being overwhelmed, stressed, sad, and numb all mixed together. You know that state of autopilot when you go through the motions but feel very detatched?

I dont like the hospital.

princessgirls
06-06-2013, 11:32 AM
Sending prayers your way!!!

Julie:mickey:

TheDuckRocks
06-06-2013, 11:51 AM
My prayers are with you.:hug:
Personally I hate the hospital.

emerzmom
06-06-2013, 02:17 PM
So sorry for you, your mom, and your family.
Prayers and Pixie Dust
:tink:
Julie

faline
06-06-2013, 02:53 PM
I'm sorry. It can be quite overwhelming. Do try to find some time to take care of you - that's so important when you are in the midst of such difficulties.

SugarMagnolia
06-06-2013, 02:58 PM
My mom had a massive stroke when she was 62. My advice to you is keep pushing your mom to talk/understand, etc. I found out later (after it was too late) that the brain can re-learn a lot of things through other (brain) channels. Please know that she has improved very much from the days and weeks right after her stroke. It WILL get better than it is right now.

Praying for you and your mom!
Angela

Zippy 1
06-06-2013, 03:47 PM
A friends mom recently had a stroke. Her speech was also affected. Doctors didn't think it would get much better. They started singing familiar hymns to her and to their surprise she started singing along with them. Could not ask for a glass of water but could sing her church hymns. Within 2 weeks she was slowly starting to say other words. So don't give up hope her speech may return. We will be praying for you

DVC2004
06-06-2013, 04:21 PM
I'm sorry to hear this! I will be thinking of you and your mom, and sending good thoughts and prayers. Strokes are scary. We have a family history on my mom's side so I am all too familiar. My mother had a bleed in her brain, followed by a pulmonary embolism, followed by a stroke about 9 years ago. They took her on a flight for life to Milwaukee- we did not expect good news. She was in her early 60s. She had an amazing recovery and lost no speech, no movement, etc. She was very lucky. Catching it early is the key and it sounds like that is the case with your mom. Keeping you in my thoughts. I hate hospitals, too.

MNNHFLTX
06-06-2013, 05:37 PM
I'm sorry. :( I can imagine how scared and stressful everything must seem right now. :hug:

Your mom has a long road to recovery ahead of her, but there will be many people to help along the way--therapists (especially speech and occupational therapists), nurses, case managers. Write down questions to ask the doctors (they tend to slip in and out of the room pretty fast) and don't be afraid to get involved in your mother's care.

With time and patience, things will get better, I promise.

DizneyFreak2002
06-06-2013, 07:58 PM
Sorry to hear... I know this is a very stressful time.. I went through the same thing with my father in December.. 12 hours in the ER... only his speech was affected, but since then his speech has gotten much better...

Stay strong!!!!!

SBETigg
06-06-2013, 07:58 PM
Oh no, I'm sorry. Beth had good advice. I'm thinking of you.

kakn7294
06-06-2013, 10:48 PM
I'm sorry you have to go through this! I hate hospitals too (and I work in one!).

My advice to you is to designate one person as the person who will speak with the doctors and nurses and then pass that information on to the rest of the family. As a nurse, I have found that doctors are much more receptive to answering questions and providing information when they only have to do that once rather than repeat it to a dozen people.

KODABEAR
06-06-2013, 11:18 PM
:old::knit: So sorry to here of your mother's illness. My DH had a stroke last year. It was origanilly called "massive" but he is doing great. REhab, rehab, rehab. He had speach, occupational and physical therapy, each 2-3 times per week. It is a very stressful time. Let your family and friends be your support. All our prayer's to you.

TinkerbellT421
06-07-2013, 07:09 AM
I'm so sorry to hear. Sending prayers and pixie dust. My mom had a stroke yesterday too. I know what you are going through. :magic::hug:

BriarRose0708
06-07-2013, 09:00 AM
Very sorry to hear about this! My thoughts are with you and hope you can find some comfort in good news from the hospital staff soon!

hoop de do
06-07-2013, 10:09 AM
PA Pixie Dust and prayers for you and yours.

:tink::pixie::tink::pixie:

minnie04
06-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Sending prayers your way & :pixie:. Remember taking a moment for yourself right now is very important too. Step back and take a deep breath get out some of your emotions, so you will be stronger for your mother when she needs you in her recovery.

disney obsessed
06-08-2013, 04:25 PM
Thank you to everyone. I really appreciate the support. The decision our family has made is for comfort care. Not quite hospice, she really isn't elegible for ir right now. They found several things they want to treat. Mom doesn't want that. She wants her life to play out to the end without medical assistance. She is 86. She has an advanced directive from several years ago. Still hard to follow through even though I know it is what she wants. Also, the dr was very unpleasant and made me feel horrible for refuseing treatment.

As I am having these conversations with people about this I feel more like I am watching a movie than doing it myself. It is really amazing what the brain does to protect itself.

She is back in her assisted living community and much happier. She really hates the hospital. When i saw her this am, her speach was greatly improved.

Its time for a deep breath and a relaxing day.

Mrs Bus Driver
06-09-2013, 11:19 AM
Your mom is still with you, give her lots of love and support and you will find your way through this. Are there anyone family/friends that you can talk to? Don't try to be a hero and do this alone you'll feel better if you get some support for yourself. The hospital may even know of some support groups you can join. :mickey:

Maggie T
06-09-2013, 12:54 PM
So sorry to hear. Pixie dust for you and her. Hospitals are not fun.

Disney4us2
06-10-2013, 04:30 AM
Prayers and pixies for you, your mom and family. :pixie::pixie::pixie:

We did the same with my father. He had comfort care.