PDA

View Full Version : Information on Shades of Green

barbiegirl314
06-04-2013, 10:29 AM
Hi everyone :mickey:

I was hoping to get some feedback from folks on the Shades of Green, pros and cons.

My son just enlisted in the National Guard and we would love to be able to take advantage of this "perk" to plan a WDW trip next year (even though we just got back from this trip less then a week ago :blush:)

We've always had such magical times on our past trips that I don't want to go into something blindly that could end up ruining the magic for us.

Thank you for your input.

Capt_redshirt
06-04-2013, 10:47 AM
With my dad being in the Air force we took advantage of it back in 92,96,2000 trips. While i'm sure things have changed here are a few things that i remember. military ids are needed to do a lot of things on resort property... if they are full they will put you in another hotel but the odds that it will be disney owned are hit or miss (92 we were at the cabins of fort wilderness 96 the now long gone disney institute but in 2000 we were at a hotel that was walking distance from DTD but it wasn't disney owned). I've also heard that now if you are going back to shades of green you'll need military id to go on the bus (so you'll be sticking to your son all the time) the only thing i can't add to this is what the rooms are like ive never had the ability to stay there I hope this helps

Tigger's Mom
06-04-2013, 01:01 PM
I have stayed here several time and brought family with me, reserving separate rooms for them. We last went to WDW in 2011. Other than check-in, I was never asked to show my government id. I had to be present for everyone's check-in, but that was it. We sometimes walked from the Polynesian back to SOG and were never stopped at the entrance for proof of id. If that rule has changed, it did so in the past 2 years.
Our experience at the hotel has been great! The rooms are some of the biggest on property which is awesome. You have a small fridge that comes in handy too. We ate in the Mangino's restaurant and Evergreen's. We use the Express Cafe a lot too.You can ask at the bellhop stand for a ride on the Shady Shuttle. They will ride you to the end of the property. Cross the street and you're on the Polynesian property. We would do this depending on where we were going. It was quicker sometimes to walk and hop the monorail to MK. There's a store on property for snacks and souvenirs. If the Disney meal plan is a must for you, SOG won't work then. You get to use some of the benefits, but not all. You are eligible for Extra Magic Hours and package delivery to your hotel; no Magical Express or dining plan however. We plan to go back, just don't know when that trip will be yet.
Happy planning!!

T-Belle
06-04-2013, 05:28 PM
I love SOG, have stayed many times and will most definitely stay here again. The rooms are some of the largest on property. And each room has it's own balcony or patio. There are a couple of restaurants and (my favorite) a Starbucks! And remember no tax!!! You truly can't beat the price for all that you get.
I really like the bus system too. The busses are timed so you know exactly what time they'll be picking you up. Love that. Also, the atmosphere is so family friendly and the guest are always so nice.
They have begun checking ID's when you get on the bus and when you walk from the Poly. I don't know if something happened or if this is preventative. This started, I believe, right after the Boston bombing. To me, it's no big deal. I won't let something as trivial as showing my ID keep me from my happy place.

This from Shades of Green:
Good afternoon all! A few updates, as well answers to your frequently asked questions that arose in the discussion about upcoming ID check on Shades of Green busses:
*The 100% ID check has been changed to take effective Monday, May 20, 2013.
*Day use of the resort and its amenities-such as the spa, restaurants, tickets, and AAFES- is still allowed and encouraged to any guests who have a military ID, or the resort ID received at check-in + photo ID.
*In testing a 100% ID check, we have not experienced delays. We expect the same success when it is fully implemented though there may be minor delays during peak periods. We ask that all of our guests have their ID’s out and ready to show the bus driver prior to boarding the bus to help avoid those delays.
*If staying at SOG, and you have guests visiting you from other resorts who do not have a military ID, you may call our security gate and put them on the guest list.
*An ID check for the walking path onto Shades of Green is also part of our plan for increasing security in the very near future.
*The motivation for these decisions has been and always will be to maintain the safety of our guests and employees. The safety of you and your families is always our priority.

Melanie
06-04-2013, 07:22 PM
Joan is correct. The change in having to show your resort ID and another ID (preferably military) just started a month or so ago. Of course, not everyone staying there is going to have a military ID.

pcoleman
06-08-2013, 09:47 PM
My understanding is they are returning to the old method of checking Id on buses. When we went in past you showed your resort Id card and the bus driver could and sometimes would ask for picture ID. It isn't just a military ID since you can book several rooms. Last two times they did not do this. I to prefer the SOG buses, you know exactly when they will drop off and pick up and they are never filled like Disney buses.

CHIPSTER
06-15-2013, 02:49 PM
We have stayed there several times with my sister and her husband who are both retired from the Air Force. Love it. Rooms are huge and they all have a balcony. It is great to go out in the morning with a cup of coffee and watch the wild turkeys and deer. We usually only eat there for breakfast - their buffet is well worth it and much cheaper than any Disney resort. You can also order ala carte which is very reasonable. Rooms are spacious and clean. Prices - you can beat the room prices. Buses run on time. Many times though we will take the Shady Shuttle to the street and cross over to the Polynesian if we are going to the Magic Kingdom. I would never hesitate to stay there.

brownie
06-17-2013, 05:10 PM
:welcome:

CHIPSTER, welcome to INTERCOT!