PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Brown Derby Review - 1st timer's perspective

k10
06-04-2013, 09:40 AM
I might as well just let you know now that my review is a rave. Absolutely loved the HBD. As a 1st timer, it totally lived up to my expectations.

For starters, Julie, our server, was excellent. Super friendly, informative and all around what you'd hope for in a place that is supposed to be Magical. She was probably the best server I've ever had in the parks. She also made my signing of our Dining Plan receipt super easy. I didn't have to figure out anything on my own, as far as our cocktails and our "extras" that were not included in our plan. That is huge! No thinking for me? Only adds to my good time.

As I mentioned, we used the Dining Plan. That allotted my sister and I each a dinner and a dessert. But we had to try the the Cobb Salad. And when it arrived I wondered, "Where is all the lettuce?". It had a different visual for me than a Cobb you'd order at your local home venue. It looked a lot better, honestly. More appealing to the eye, and the taste buds, thusly. It was really good and really light. I enjoyed trying it.

Entrees? Whoa baby. Here's what we had (copied right from their menu) with my notes following the description:

Duck Two Ways - sauteed confit with swiss chard over an herb and goat cheese polenta cake finished with a pan-seared maple bourbon duck magret with a sun-dried cherry sauce. ***This was my sister's meal. Ordering duck was a no-brainer for her. And she ate the entire thing. She kept poking the polenta asking what it was. I guess she'd never had it before. But she ate the whole thing. The entire plate was wiped clean.

Charred-glazed Filet of Beef - with a red wine reduction, topped with a cabernet and roasted shallot butter, over white truffle oil wild forest mushroom mashed potato, sauteed haricot verts and golden beets ***I don't recall any beets being on my plate, but I just didn't care. I was too busy stuffing my face. Filet was perfect, the reduction was sweet and not too heavy. Everything was soo good on this dish that I, too, cleaned my plate.

Strawberry Champagne Cheesecake with macerated strawberries and dark chocolate caviar crisps ***I never liked cheesecake until I ate this. The menu description fails to mention that there are also little strawberry crisps in the bottom layer of the cake. Off the hook.

Double Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee - with Dark Chocolate-dipped Biscotti $8.00 ***My sister said she didn't' really like it. I was too busy eating everything in sight on my side of the table that I didn't have time to care. This in no way diminished our good time or our rave of the HBD.

Cocktails were had, coffee and cappuccinos were had. Over all, a really good time was had. I can't wait to go back!

Tekneek
06-04-2013, 09:44 AM
While we're vegetarian and won't be able to enjoy the same food items, I appreciate the positive review of HBD. We'll be eating there once on our next trip.

Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for sharing your experience!

Mickey'sGirl
06-04-2013, 09:50 AM
We've always enjoyed the food at the Brown Derby, and I'm glad to read that you did as well. We have been hit and miss with the servers, but I just love the restaurant! Thanks for sharing!

Scar
06-04-2013, 09:59 AM
Good to hear the positive review. This place gets its fair share of bad reviews, but I don't get it. I enjoy everything about it.

MOJoe
06-04-2013, 10:31 AM
We've tried a bunch of them, and the Brown Derby has become my family's favorite signature dinner. We go back every trip. Glad you enjoyed it.

Dulcee
06-04-2013, 11:21 AM
I'm glad you guys had a nice meal!

We use to love the Brown Derby but the last time was a real disappointment. Nice staff but the atmosphere and the food was a far cry from some of the other signatures on property. We won't be back...

Hammer
06-04-2013, 11:47 AM
Double Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee - with Dark Chocolate-dipped Biscotti $8.00 ***My sister said she didn't' really like it. I was too busy eating everything in sight on my side of the table that I didn't have time to care. This in no way diminished our good time or our rave of the HBD.

Glad you enjoyed Brown Derby. It is our favorite place in the Studios to have lunch. Surprised at your sister's assessment of the Creme Brulee. My family eats Creme Brulee at many different restaurants (not just WDW) and we rank the creme brulee there one of the best we have ever had anywhere.

I'm glad you guys had a nice meal!

We use to love the Brown Derby but the last time was a real disappointment. Nice staff but the atmosphere and the food was a far cry from some of the other signatures on property. We won't be back...

It is not a good use for signature dining on the Dining Plan. Personally, I don't think any dining in one of the parks is worthy of signature designation, only at resorts. I still think the food is very good and is one of the better park restaurants.

MNNHFLTX
06-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Glad to hear that you liked the Brown Derby! I've been there twice for lunch and love the Cobb Salad. Actually that and the grapefruit cake are the only things I've sampled on their menu--they are both so good that I've never had the desire to try anything else. :blush:

#1donaldfan
06-04-2013, 12:28 PM
UUHMMM.....maybe worth a shot !!! Thanks for the review !!:cool:

AllDisney
06-04-2013, 03:32 PM
Glad you liked HDB. It's one of our favorites. The food is always wonderful. The atmosphere good. The servers- hit or miss but never enough to discourage us from going back:thumbsup:

January-2007
06-05-2013, 12:38 AM
Thanks for reporting!

VWL Mom
06-05-2013, 06:09 AM
So glad you enjoyed your meal. I love the Cobb Salad and since we don't do DDP have used it as an entree before.

As others have said I too am not sure why HBD get's such a bad rap, we enjoy our meals there.

Katzateer
06-05-2013, 08:03 AM
Glad you enjoyed- I love having lunch there. :mickey: the steak and desserts are wonderful.

DisneyDawgette
06-06-2013, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the review! Haven't seen a positive one in a while! We haven't been in years, but I think it's one that we will be adding to the itinerary for December! :)

Ms. Mode
06-07-2013, 10:20 AM
I have enjoyed all your reviews and had to look up what you thought of HBD because it is one of our favorites! We too get the Cobb Salad regardless of the DDP. The only thing you missed is the grapefruit cake...it's EXCELLENT and I had never heard of it before until HBD!

k10
06-07-2013, 10:47 AM
We almost ordered the grapefruit cake! I am so sad we didn't take the plunge now!

Maybe when I go in September I can try to weasel a purchase to go!!! :mickey:

VWL Mom
06-07-2013, 04:39 PM
We almost ordered the grapefruit cake! I am so sad we didn't take the plunge now!

Maybe when I go in September I can try to weasel a purchase to go!!! :mickey:

They use to have the grapefruit cake next door at Starring Rolls Bakery, you may want to check there.

k10
06-10-2013, 10:02 AM
They use to have the grapefruit cake next door at Starring Rolls Bakery, you may want to check there.

thank you for the tip!!!!