PDA

View Full Version : Walking to Parks?

AllDisney
06-03-2013, 07:11 PM
What parks are walkable from the Poly? What other means of transportation to other locations (Boardwalk, Epcot etc) is available?

Thanks!

Melanie
06-03-2013, 07:13 PM
No parks are walkable from the Polynesian. In the MK area, the Contemporary is the only one you can walk from.

At the Poly, you can take the monorail (or walk) to the Ticket & Transportation Center to get the monorail to Epcot.

Polynesian Dweller
06-03-2013, 09:06 PM
What parks are walkable from the Poly? What other means of transportation to other locations (Boardwalk, Epcot etc) is available?

Thanks!

From the Poly, none. You cannot to MK with the canal blocking the west side and the water bridge the east. The other parks are too far and their are no walkways along the roads making it far too dangerous even if they were close.

Monorail or boat launch to MK, Monorail to Epcot then walk to Boardwalk, and bus everywhere else.

Scar
06-03-2013, 09:20 PM
Ahhhhh!!!!

I never have been able understand this delusion. You can, in fact, walk from the Poly to DisneyLand if you really wanted to. I have walked from the Poly to the Magic Kingdom. It was a pleasant and safe walk. Less than an hour.

Pirate Granny
06-03-2013, 10:49 PM
Details please! Legal walking ??? We've been picked up by security walking from ticket center to Contemporary

joonyer
06-03-2013, 11:26 PM
Ahhhhh!!!!

I never have been able understand this delusion. You can, in fact, walk from the Poly to DisneyLand if you really wanted to. I have walked from the Poly to the Magic Kingdom. It was a pleasant and safe walk. Less than an hour.

Yes, of course you can (and you could swim across the lagoon too, if you really wanted to). But the point is, there are no sidewalks or walking paths to MK from Poly.

Melanie
06-04-2013, 06:45 AM
Ahhhhh!!!!

Of course you CAN walk. It's not encouraged though. ;)

Polynesian Dweller
06-04-2013, 07:28 AM
Ahhhhh!!!!

You say this every time this comes up but it's not true that's it's pleasant and safe. There is no way on a busy road, very busy, that it is safe to walk under the water bridge. And there are no walkways along the roadway and it should not be encouraged. So OP, no there is no safe way to walk to MK from the Poly.

Scar
06-04-2013, 09:46 AM
Details please! Legal walking ??? We've been picked up by security walking from ticket center to ContemporaryI'm curious to know where and why security "picked" you up, and what they said. If It's true that Disney does not allow this, then I will cease and disist.

There is a sidewalk that goes along World Drive. It begins where the monorail crosses World Dr., goes under the aquaduct, and ends across the street from the Contemporary. I've walked it and it can be clearly seen on Google Earth. If going to the Contemporary, World Dr. does have to be crossed. Yes, it can be busy, but certainly not impossible. Between the sidewalk and the TTC, the walk is on (cut) grass, just follow the monorail.

Now at almost 2 miles, it's not the most effecient way to get there, but I enjoyed the walk when I did it. Oh, and I saw about 3 or4 other people along they way doing it too.

JerseyDad
06-05-2013, 10:05 PM
Yes, of course you can (and you could swim across the lagoon too, if you really wanted to). But the point is, there are no sidewalks or walking paths to MK from Poly.

....I guess the gators need to eat sometimes ...too.:D

mechanic
06-06-2013, 04:40 AM
Im trying not to laugh out loud reading this. i sense some preexisting hostility here?
we walked from poly to gf with no problems, stopped to check out wedding chapel along the way. got on monorail at gf. Don't know if we could have went further but i always enjoy a little exploration close up.
regarding swimming, it should be noted that people in Florida often swim in the lakes and streams of the state.
not sure why this thead sounds so angry?

Ms. Mode
06-06-2013, 03:42 PM
I read somewhere that you really DON'T want to swim in the ponds in Florida...some kind of disease of something....

And, I DID laugh out loud! :blush:

BrerGnat
06-06-2013, 05:33 PM
Im trying not to laugh out loud reading this. i sense some preexisting hostility here?
we walked from poly to gf with no problems, stopped to check out wedding chapel along the way. got on monorail at gf. Don't know if we could have went further but i always enjoy a little exploration close up.
regarding swimming, it should be noted that people in Florida often swim in the lakes and streams of the state.
not sure why this thead sounds so angry?

Yes, you can definitely walk from Poly to GF. You can't walk from GF to MK, though. There is a canal, and there isn't a bridge to cross it.

When we stay at the Contemporary, I go jogging. I once tried to jog to the Polynesian. There IS a sidewalk on World Drive, but it ends shortly after you go under the water bridge. I turned around at that point. It is definitely NOT safe to continue walking or running along World Drive after the sidewalk ends (a LONG way from the Poly, BTW). There is no shoulder for the lanes either, so it's road and then immediately dirt/grass. There is nothing prevening a car from sideswiping you. Not safe.

And, swimming in the lakes isn't permitted due to the brain eating amoeba that lives in the sediment. Splashing around in shallow water is more dangerous than swimming in deep water. That is why you can still water ski on Bay Lake, but you can't play on the water near the beach.

BrerGnat
06-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Between the sidewalk and the TTC, the walk is on (cut) grass, just follow the monorail.

I don't know for sure, but might this be considered trespassing? This is an area not marked for public access.

mechanic
06-06-2013, 06:31 PM
Poly to gf is about as far as i would want to walk in florida in july. but i looked at map and saw the canal you were talking about.
as we are all paying guests on property i think all areas would be open to walk or explore except those that are specificaly posted keep out or employees only.
the shallow water bacteria or parasite thing is very real. i was more making a comment on how differently the locals see the gators as opposed to vacationers.

Jforrest2
06-08-2013, 08:31 PM
[QUOTE=Scar;2356394]

You can, in fact, walk from the Poly to DisneyLand if you really wanted to.

I actually got what you were saying...

In other news... The man who tried to walk around the world drowned...

Patricia
07-22-2013, 01:00 AM
I try walk wherever I can. I always use Google before I take off and make sure I won't end up on a freeway off ramp. :blush: I have even asked security for the best routes and have had them tell me exactly how it can be done or if it shouldn't be done. They are very helpful. Some other concerns would be the wildlife.. The gators are not animatronic outside the pearly gates.

I do walk from CBR to Epcot and MGM (this was one of those "security helper" walks). I have not tried the Poly to MK, but that's only because I like the monorail.

Some day I am going to make it my mission to create maps for the walkers of the world.

steamboat willy
07-22-2013, 10:14 AM
we walked from poly to gf with no problems, stopped to check out wedding chapel along the way. got on monorail at gf. Don't know if we could have went further but i always enjoy a little exploration close

You CAN walk from TTC to the Poly :tikki:
You CAN walk from Poly to the GF. :wine:
You CAN walk from GF toward MK to the Light Show Channel, but no further. :nono:
You CAN walk from Poly to TTC to MK. :ambal:
But NOT recommended. :skull:
You CAN swim to MK BUT ...:swim::gator:

There plenty of Great Places at DISNEY to walk, but unless your at the Contemporary Resort, the MK is not recommended by Steamboat Willy.