PDA

View Full Version : Increase in Ticket Prices, Parking, and AP's

Maleficent's Dad
06-01-2013, 01:13 PM
On Sunday, June 2, prices are increasing:

WDW is increasing the cost of admission, primarily to the MK. For the first time, the MK will have a higher admission cost than other parks. A single day Magic Kingdom ticket will be $95 for an adult, with the other three parks costing $90 for an adult single day ticket. Child prices are $89 for the Magic Kingdom, and $84 for the other parks.

AP's are going up by $35 to $609.

Parking goes up by $1 to $15.

Mickey'sGirl
06-01-2013, 02:47 PM
That's a lot of money!

I come from a family of 6. I can honestly say that I never would have gone to Disney as a child if prices were in that kind of range. I would cost a family of 6, the bettet part of $1000 for ONE day!

Thank goodness for the DVC discount on annual passes!

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-01-2013, 03:06 PM
I agree! Wow!

On our first trip to Florida, we spent 2 days at Disney, and 1 at Universal. No way we could have afforded that now ... the single-day tickets are way too expensive!

Tekneek
06-01-2013, 05:06 PM
On one side, I think it is a good thing that Disney is acknowledging that all of the parks do not represent equal ticket value. I still don't believe this is sustainable, but that's not my problem.

Dulcee
06-01-2013, 05:19 PM
I agree! Wow!

On our first trip to Florida, we spent 2 days at Disney, and 1 at Universal. No way we could have afforded that now ... the single-day tickets are way too expensive!

My assumption would be this is done to try to deter guests from one and two day trips. Everything disney has done in the past few years has been pushing longer vacations, spent entirely on property.

Mickey'sGirl
06-01-2013, 06:56 PM
My assumption would be this is done to try to deter guests from one and two day trips. Everything disney has done in the past few years has been pushing longer vacations, spent entirely on property.I think you are absolutely correct.

Jennifer_and_Chris
06-01-2013, 07:01 PM
What is the current price of the dvc annual pass? Is that price going up too?

caryrae
06-01-2013, 07:15 PM

Read this in the blog, " the price will be $464 for the DVC Annual Pass."

Yo Mickey!
06-01-2013, 08:26 PM

hoping they offer the same deal they did last year for the premium AP. that was awesome.

Gator
06-01-2013, 08:34 PM
$95/day???? Disney is trying to price itself out of family plans.

Polynesian Dweller
06-01-2013, 10:00 PM
$95/day???? Disney is trying to price itself out of family plans.

No, for one day ticket only. By the time you get to a 7 day ticket it works out to about $45 per day. Not nearly so drastic a ticket price that doubt very many people use that everyone seems to be focussing on . Even locals would more likely use the discounts available to FL residents.

Price increases on everything are a fact of life although we'd all like no increases. For many years we did not go to Disney because it was too expensive. Now we can so we go. If it gets too expensive we won't again. It's the kind of decision you have to make about every non-essential expense.

Tekneek
06-02-2013, 05:37 AM
No, for one day ticket only. By the time you get to a 7 day ticket it works out to about $45 per day. Not nearly so drastic a ticket price that doubt very many people use that everyone seems to be focussing on . Even locals would more likely use the discounts available to FL residents.

$45 a day, for 7 days, is still $315. Sure, you pay less per day, but you still pay a lot. Even if you find a room somewhere around $35 a night, you're out another couple hundred plus taxes/fees. We're talking about total expenditure. It doesn't matter that staying for 10 days gets you the best value/day if you can't afford, or are unable, to stay for 10 days. Then you have to eat something during that time. You could try to subsist on puffed wheat the whole time, but your body might not approve.

Some people don't get a week of vacation in the US, so they can't realize these value buys anyway. The average worker in America gets 12 days of vacation+sick time per year, so a good few are going to fall a bit under that. Europeans could make out like bandits on these things though, with nearly a month of vacation per year.

DizneyFreak2002
06-02-2013, 10:55 AM
I think people are miscalculating just how many guests buy a 1 day ticket... it is much more than you may think...

Hammer
06-02-2013, 11:37 AM
I think people are miscalculating just how many guests buy a 1 day ticket... it is much more than you may think...

While that might be true, that shouldn't be taking into consideration when setting prices.

Polynesian Dweller
06-02-2013, 12:31 PM
$45 a day, for 7 days, is still $315. Sure, you pay less per day, but you still pay a lot. Even if you find a room somewhere around $35 a night, you're out another couple hundred plus taxes/fees. We're talking about total expenditure. It doesn't matter that staying for 10 days gets you the best value/day if you can't afford, or are unable, to stay for 10 days. Then you have to eat something during that time. You could try to subsist on puffed wheat the whole time, but your body might not approve.

Some people don't get a week of vacation in the US, so they can't realize these value buys anyway. The average worker in America gets 12 days of vacation+sick time per year, so a good few are going to fall a bit under that. Europeans could make out like bandits on these things though, with nearly a month of vacation per year.
All interesting, but for anything you buy any discretionary product anywhere it comes down to deciding whether you can afford it. If you can't you don't. Price increases will occur and the only real choice is how you deal with it.

There were many years in our early married life that we evaluated those Disney related costs and decided we couldn't afford it. So we did something else and had a great time. There are great non-Disney trips out there. And really, that's all price increases mean, evaluating whether you do that or do something else that can easily turn out great for what you can afford.

DizneyFreak2002
06-02-2013, 01:54 PM
While that might be true, that shouldn't be taking into consideration when setting prices.

I am not sure what my comment had to do with setting/raising prices? People argue that Disney does not sell many one day tickets, so the price rising won't affect many guests when the opposite is actually true... This will affect MANY guests...

Tekneek
06-02-2013, 05:45 PM
All interesting, but for anything you buy any discretionary product anywhere it comes down to deciding whether you can afford it. If you can't you don't. Price increases will occur and the only real choice is how you deal with it.

I'm just pointing out the flaws in the "over X number of days this isn't much of an increase" argument because there are going to be many people that are unable to spread it over those days to realize that value. It's apples and oranges, not apples and apples like some portray it as.

VWL Mom
06-02-2013, 06:05 PM

hoping they offer the same deal they did last year for the premium AP. that was awesome.

With tax the DVC AP will be $494.16 1st time// $419.61 renewal. The premium AP will be $621.96 1st time //$552.74 renewal.

I'm hoping they run another special this year, too. It not only saved a bit of money but the ability to buy and have to the end of 2013 worked well too.

disneydeb
06-02-2013, 06:54 PM
What is the minimun # points one has to buy to get the DVC AP rate?

ChipNDale79
06-02-2013, 08:16 PM
Price increases on everything are a fact of life although we'd all like no increases. For many years we did not go to Disney because it was too expensive. Now we can so we go. If it gets too expensive we won't again. It's the kind of decision you have to make about every non-essential expense.

I think most of us are ok prices going up on things, it is a fact of life, my issue is that pricing has gone way beyond the rate of inflation.

You have to wonder when enough is enough, at some point there is going to be a bubble that pops and Disney is going to see a downfall in attendance. But what do the current decision makers care? They don't, because by the time their bad decisions come back to hurt Disney, they will be long gone.

My wife and I were just talking about maybe only taking our kids once instead of going every single year. At some point you have to say, enough is enough.

We didnt visit Disney this year........

VWL Mom
06-02-2013, 08:44 PM
What is the minimun # points one has to buy to get the DVC AP rate?

I think the smallest resale contract I've seen is 25 points. There is no minimum required, as long as you own you are entitled to purchase one.

epceddie
06-02-2013, 10:08 PM
The $95 price does not include the 6.5 percent tax, which pushes the final price to $101.18. So, Disney has finally crashed the century mark.
So glad that the only time we plan on going back to the MK in the future is for MNSSHP.

minnie04
06-03-2013, 12:04 PM
WELL!! I'm just glad I bought the AP for this year. Because at these prices we won’t be doing Disney much longer. I have a family of 5 and with everyone buying adult tickets that's just way to much when you factor in food, hotel, gas etc. Even if you stay on property with the little perks that offers you are still paying way too much for food for a family (breakfast, lunch & dinner) my youngest if 9 (10 in Jan) it's just not worth it anymore. I’m going to run these AP passes into the ground and get every penny out of them this year and really have to think about going in the near future. My kids are at the point where for the first time on our last trip they were getting bored (the older ones 21/17). It was so sad to hear them say they were bored with Disney. I can see it since we have been there so many times they have had enough. Nothing is new to them and exciting any more. Maybe I should have spread out our trips more when they were young. It’s funny they always ask to go, but now maybe they are tired of the same ole same ole. ANYWAY my point being I’m not going to pay $95.00 (with tax) for them to be bored.
We are weekend (3-4days) Disney vacationers, so dining plans don’t fall under what we need. We do get Florida Rates, but they are now with blackout dates, so that’s no fun
I know we will be back, but we will have to rethink the worth of the trip. I plan to do Universal passes next year so they might be a better deal for the older ones to enjoy Orlando again..:mickey:

caryrae
06-03-2013, 12:55 PM
What do people pay for a Disney trip these days including travel for your family? We went last year but my parents payed for the whole trip as a surprise not sure what the total was for the trip. If it wasn't for them we would not have been for a long time. Even just my wife and I it is just getting to expensive with all the exspenses, place to stay, travel, food, park tickets, etc.

Elias1901
06-03-2013, 01:42 PM
Now I'm glad that I purchased our Disneyland 5-Day Park Hopper passes for our upcoming August trip early, before the increases hit. We were going to wait to purchase and print our eTickets the night before our vacation... I'm sure glad my excitement got to me and we didn't wait! This is getting insane! Premier Pass almost reaching $1,000.00? Uh, yah... I DON'T THINK SO!! :mad:

I do agree that the Anuual Passes should be increased or some how limited or something at the California property, the locals out there really flood the parks for everyone else. :(

ChipNDale79
06-03-2013, 02:05 PM
What do people pay for a Disney trip these days including travel for your family? We went last year but my parents payed for the whole trip as a surprise not sure what the total was for the trip. If it wasn't for them we would not have been for a long time. Even just my wife and I it is just getting to expensive with all the exspenses, place to stay, travel, food, park tickets, etc.

For a family of 4, with tickets, hotel, food, and travel expenses, I doubt it can be done for under $3,000 - $3,500 for a full week anymore.

Our honeymoon in 2008 was $2,500, that same exact trip is now $3,200.

DizneyRox
06-03-2013, 02:26 PM
... You have to wonder when enough is enough, at some point there is going to be a bubble that pops and Disney is going to see a downfall in attendance. But what do the current decision makers care? They don't, because by the time their bad decisions come back to hurt Disney, they will be long gone.

By most account I've heard, attendence IS down. This increase is to make up for increased costs as well as reduced attendence. Disney as a company can't have lower profits because attendence declines, so those that go end up making up the difference.

It's actually advantageous to drive down attendence; the maintenance costs go down overall (less rooms to clean, bathrooms to clean, etc).

Again, those that go end up paying more, which is probably where Disney wants to head.

... We didnt visit Disney this year........
This will be our 3rd year without our "yearly" Disney Park trip. Cruising has been a better vacation value for us, and looks like it may be for the near future at least...

Dulcee
06-03-2013, 02:34 PM
For a family of 4, with tickets, hotel, food, and travel expenses, I doubt it can be done for under $3,000 - $3,500 for a full week anymore.

Our honeymoon in 2008 was $2,500, that same exact trip is now $3,200.

Our 2012 honeymoon 8 nights, 9 days moderate resort with deluxe dining came to about $5000. $3500 of that was on the package (which coincidentally was a free dining that we upgraded), the rest was flights, car rental, extra food/alcohol costs, massages and souvenirs. Without the free dining tack on another $800 or so.

minnie04
06-03-2013, 02:40 PM

We pay at least $1,500 or more for a 3-4 day vacation between gas, food, hotel, and tickets. Thankfully the kids don’t really ask to buy anything at the parks. It’s all outlet shopping. That was the main reason I got the AP passes this year to at least have some cushion on the money we will spend while there. We have pretty much out grown the hotels on property (5) to many in a room. I have found great places to stay off property and with good deals on that and cooking at least one or two meals in the condo. We can really enjoy our time there. I WILL not go to Orlando with the thought of not being able to buy something or eat somewhere because of money. I budget things out leading up to the trip so we are able to do whatever everyone wants to do because the room and tickets are paid in advance. I would rather not go if I couldn’t buy a $4.00 bottle of water ...lol. I make it work, but it’s getting harder and harder every year. :mickey:

We went once on a very tight budget and I couldn't deal with it. When the kids wanted something we had to make sure we were ok on money. We were a young family at the time. I know millions of people do it everytime they go, but for me I would rather stay home and wait till I have enough money to really have a blast!! and thankfully we have been able to do that ever since then. (thanks to my crazy ways of making it work & I won't max any credit cards in the process) lol.

BhamWriter
06-03-2013, 04:55 PM
You have to wonder when enough is enough, at some point there is going to be a bubble that pops and Disney is going to see a downfall in attendance.

I'm there. My AP is expiring; my wife's expires soon. We won't be renewing. I've probably visited WDW 50 times, thrice since last August. My most recent trip, last month, was my least enjoyable.

Not everything at WDW is over-priced. On the low end, Earl of Sandwich comes to mind; on the high end, Victoria and Albert's is worth the price to me. But the mass in the middle, from drinks and trinkets to some signature restaurants and rooms and tickets, reduce the "value" to virtually nothing.

BTW, in one article I read on this topic, a Disney spokesman defended the "great value" of a ticket because of, in part, "the special moments guests experience with our cast." I'm curious how this spokesman quantifies these experiences. What part of the ticket price do these "special moments" represent? If I have fewer such moments than someone else, do I get a refund? Is this what Disney "magic" is reduced to?

DNS
06-03-2013, 05:09 PM
My assumption would be this is done to try to deter guests from one and two day trips. Everything disney has done in the past few years has been pushing longer vacations, spent entirely on property.

Very good point!

DizneyFreak2002
06-03-2013, 06:52 PM
By most account I've heard, attendence IS down. This increase is to make up for increased costs as well as reduced attendence. Disney as a company can't have lower profits because attendence declines, so those that go end up making up the difference.

It's actually advantageous to drive down attendence; the maintenance costs go down overall (less rooms to clean, bathrooms to clean, etc).

Again, those that go end up paying more, which is probably where Disney wants to head.

This will be our 3rd year without our "yearly" Disney Park trip. Cruising has been a better vacation value for us, and looks like it may be for the near future at least...

We will find out tomorrow about attendance since TEA releases their data... I honestly expect the theme park attendance to be slightly up in WDW... Hotel occupancy is what is killing them the most... They love 90% or more, and usually the hotels are at 85%... But the last two years, occupancy has been reported to be down to about 65% maybe 70% as more people flock offsite to better deals and nicer rooms...

DizneyFreak2002
06-03-2013, 06:57 PM
BTW, in one article I read on this topic, a Disney spokesman defended the "great value" of a ticket because of, in part, "the special moments guests experience with our cast." I'm curious how this spokesman quantifies these experiences. What part of the ticket price do these "special moments" represent? If I have fewer such moments than someone else, do I get a refund? Is this what Disney "magic" is reduced to?

There is no Disney magic.. The only magic Disney provides anymore is, as you pass the gates, your wallet disappears into the animated rat's white gloves... Oh, and your bank account is magically drained, your credit card balance magically increases, and your children's college fund is magically depleted...

The new special moments will be created when you are given a MOUSE ARREST band that magically locks you into WDW prison, cause if you try to pass the walls, they will fry you!!!

No, MK is not worth $95 a day... No, not one WDW park is worth $90 a day...

DisneyDawgette
06-03-2013, 07:10 PM
There is no Disney magic.. The only magic Disney provides anymore is, as you pass the gates, your wallet disappears into the animated rat's white gloves... Oh, and your bank account is magically drained, your credit card balance magically increases, and your children's college fund is magically depleted...

I feel like there is a huge sway based on individual perspective. We know that prices will increase around this time every year, yet we continue to complain like this is a novel incident... In addition, it's not just Disney that is increasing, but everywhere else as well. You can't blame it all on the greed of the company as there is the poor economy driving business and unfortunate financial strain on parks and guests to consider.

Yes, it's annoying to dish out that extra $35 for an AP, but unlike some, I feel like there is still Disney magic that makes it worth every cent.That "animated rat" is still responsible for creating some of the most enjoyable vacations that I've been on, and I can't see myself losing sight of that.

Melanie
06-03-2013, 07:17 PM

Totally personal opinion, Freak. I've had my doubts lately, and this ticket increase is kind of disturbing, but there is plenty of true Disney magic left for me. Thankfully, I don't go to Disney for just a day and I have significant savings opportunities for tickets.

These new increases and changes are more reason for my hubby telling his 'Mickey Mouse white glove' funny. You know, why does Mickey wear white gloves? So he doesn't leave fingerprints on your wallet. But we still love it! :mickey:

Tekneek
06-03-2013, 07:42 PM

It's all marketing. "Special moments" and "Disney magic" are things that once were real, and now becoming legend. That they still do things better than others has more to do with how bad the other operations are than how good Disney is. I truly believe they've stopped trying to set lofty standards and have settled for trying to stay just above the rest of the pack. They're vulnerable to a competitor suddenly upping their game, like Universal has.

We're only doing this trip because we promised it to one of our daughters nearly 3 years ago. It has virtually nothing to do with anything Disney has done. Without that promise, I don't know when/if we would ever be going back. We've talked much more about going down and visiting other things in central Florida, and future trips in later years may not involve ever entering a Disney park.

VWL Mom
06-03-2013, 09:00 PM
You know, why does Mickey wear white gloves? So he doesn't leave fingerprints on your wallet. But we still love it! :mickey:

:haha: I have to remember that one!

minnie04
06-04-2013, 10:22 AM
I truly believe they've stopped trying to set lofty standards and have settled for trying to stay just above the rest of the pack. They're vulnerable to a competitor suddenly upping their game, like Universal has.

I think this has to do with people trying to beat the Disney System" Disney has always been a place where if something goes wrong they fix it right away. Examples: you don't like the room they gave you, complain and they will change it no questions asked. You don't like the food; they take it off the bill. You have to return something you bought AND used for the day and returned it by the end of your day in the parks. They return it no questions asked (have seen this happen) you say you need the GAC when your really don't and they give it to you again no questions asked. This last one is the one that bothers me more than the GAC one. When a ride has a problem and you sit for more than FIVE minutes and go and DEMAND they give you a free ticket for another day :thedolls: I have seen people do this as well. All this being said. I think is the reason things have changed in the way they do business. cast members, guest relations etc. are probably so tired of "GUEST" trying to BEAT the system..YES we pay a lot of money to be there and we will keep doing it WHY because we love the feeling you get when you pass the gates. The memories out way all the complaining and craziness that goes into a vacation at Disney. I don’t really understand why people feel so entitled when they are there.

SO is the Magic lost? I think it depends on who you ask. If your one of those people that think everything should be given to you just because you pay a higher ticket price. Then maybe you’re the one that has lost the Magic and become one of those who DEMANDS everything at the slightest problem or the people who pay the ticket price and go with no cares and no worries just to enjoy their vacation If a problem arrives they know it will be taken care of and you just move on…

Tekneek
06-04-2013, 10:57 AM
I hope the rant wasn't directed at me. If it was, you are very much mistaken by lumping me in with this group you don't like.

Great customer service means never having to ask for any consideration when things are going awry.

We've not seen much sign of that in a while, and seen CMs putting on bad show quite a lot more.

Aurora
06-04-2013, 11:07 AM
Disney isn't targeting everyone for price increases. They are increasing prices mainly for:

-- One-day guests to the Magic Kingdom. (A $1 one-day increase to the other parks is negligible if you're already OK with buying a one-day ticket.)

-- Annual pass holders.

So, they're mostly targeting locals, DVC owners and other regular visitors. It's obvious they're trying to price some people out of annual passes -- these are the tickets that are seeing the biggest increases. (Regular AP has gone up $90 over the past two years!)

For everyone else, you're looking at almost no increase. A 5-day adult park hopper increased by $4. That's right. Less than $1 per day. And a family of five buying one-day tickets can go to Epcot, DHS or AK for the day for $5 more than last year.

The only people who are really taking a hit on this are AP holders.

Tekneek
06-04-2013, 11:18 AM
“Product expertise can be duplicated, so any competitive advantage based on products will eventually go away. But customer expertise is competitively defendable, unique and permanent.” –Martha Rogers

What is Disney spending the most money on? Product or guest service? I think they spend more on product than guest service (in terms of new dollars), or at least the impression is given that they do so. Guest service is not poor, but it isn't continually amazing anymore. Spending on ride tech is like preparing an amazing meal at a restaurant, and neither can save poor guest service ultimately. While making a bad meal, or breakdowns in ride tech, can be saved by amazing guest service.

Dulcee
06-04-2013, 11:24 AM
Spending on ride tech is like preparing an amazing meal at a restaurant, and neither can save poor guest service ultimately. While making a bad meal, or breakdowns in ride tech, can be saved by amazing guest service.

I really don't think so... what gets people back into the park? What draws new attention to the parks? New attractions or in your terminology new "product."

One of the biggest gripes you'll see from repeat disney guests is the lack of new rides and attractions or outdated technology on rides.

Tekneek
06-04-2013, 11:39 AM
One of the biggest gripes you'll see from repeat disney guests is the lack of new rides and attractions or outdated technology on rides.

Maybe Disney is making the right play then. Maybe people care more about bells and whistles than guest service.

I care more about guest service and have seen it trending in the wrong direction. I know when I go to Six Flags that I'm not going to be wowed by guest service, but then I'm paying a price where I can accept that fact (plus, there is no past experience of amazing guest service that frames expectations). I could go to Walt Disney World with all the same attractions from 10 or 20 years ago, with amazing guest service, and have a great time. Amazing guest service could be worth $100 a day at a theme park. The odd thing is that the experience probably was under-priced in the past, if I think about what they actually delivered. I think it is over-priced now, though, because they've replaced great customer service with apologies and higher prices.

Donald Duck
06-04-2013, 12:07 PM
I know the Park Hopper Option went up tp $59 but how much did the 7 day Magic Your Way pass go up ?

:mickey:

BhamWriter
06-04-2013, 12:27 PM
What is Disney spending the most money on? Product or guest service? I think they spend more on product than guest service (in terms of new dollars), or at least the impression is given that they do so. Guest service is not poor, but it isn't continually amazing anymore. Spending on ride tech is like preparing an amazing meal at a restaurant, and neither can save poor guest service ultimately. While making a bad meal, or breakdowns in ride tech, can be saved by amazing guest service.

I really don't think so... what gets people back into the park? What draws new attention to the parks? New attractions or in your terminology new "product."

Actually, I think the "whiz bang" new technology and rides are for the new guests, not those who have gone to Disney for years. The newbies compare Disney to its competitors, such as Universal; those who are regulars value the service more than the technology, the overall experience more than the thrill, the "magic" more than the shine. Of course, this is a generalization, but I believe the reason there are fanatics and aficionados who return year after year is because of the little things, yes, even the "value." What value? The value of knowing that Disney planned to the tiniest detail; that even as you stood in a long queue, you weren't cattle; that Disney viewed you, not as customers, but as guests; and that Disney didn't start from the perspective of the ride or the show, but from the perspective of the guests: What was OUR experience, OUR viewpoint, OUR sense of endless possibility. There are places at Disney this is still found, but less than before, and the value is far less. I can buy whiz bang at Best Buy; I can't conjure up a special moment of whimsy or wonder as Disney once could.

DVC2004
06-04-2013, 12:36 PM
What are you going to do? Either you go and pay more or you don't. I know these days we are not spending our entire vacations to Disney (World Or Disneyland) or Universal at the parks. In fact we have cut it down to a couple days then go do other things the rest of the time like visit other areas, go to beaches, spend time at the pool or waterparks etc. Cost is one factor for us but also the fact that we have been going for more than ten years and just want to try other stuff. Even though we can take advantage of the DVC AP discount, we don't. This year we did visit Disney and did only 3 days in the parks then are going to Aulani. Last year we went to Aulani, Disneyland and Universal. We don't go to the parks enough to make AP discount worth it for us.

Aurora
06-04-2013, 01:05 PM
Disney isn't targeting everyone for price increases. They are increasing prices mainly for:

-- One-day guests to the Magic Kingdom. (A $1 one-day increase to the other parks is negligible if you're already OK with buying a one-day ticket.)

-- Annual pass holders.

So, they're mostly targeting locals, DVC owners and other regular visitors. It's obvious they're trying to price some people out of annual passes -- these are the tickets that are seeing the biggest increases. (Regular AP has gone up $90 over the past two years!)

For everyone else, you're looking at almost no increase. A 5-day adult park hopper increased by $4. That's right. Less than $1 per day. And a family of five buying one-day tickets can go to Epcot, DHS or AK for the day for $5 more than last year.

The only people who are really taking a hit on this are AP holders.

Oops -- amending my original post. The 5-day hopper went up by $23. (About $4.50 a day) I was looking at the child price for this year.

Soooo ... my point is a little less relevant.

Aurora
06-04-2013, 01:09 PM
I know the Park Hopper Option went up tp $59 but how much did the 7 day Magic Your Way pass go up ?

:mickey:

$21, to $309.

minnie04
06-04-2013, 02:15 PM
I hope the rant wasn't directed at me. If it was, you are very much mistaken by lumping me in with this group you don't like.

Great customer service means never having to ask for any consideration when things are going awry.

We've not seen much sign of that in a while, and seen CMs putting on bad show quite a lot more.

My "RANT" was not directed at anyone. I just saw something in your comment and gave my opinion on it. Cast members as well as Customer relations in Disney have never given me anything but respect, because that is what I give them in return. I have witnessed over many many visits people taking advantage of the cast members and guest relations people
Whether it is in the hotels, parks, stores, restaurants etc. And unfortunately they are going to change the way they serve the guest. Not all, but some.. Guest try and get above and beyond because they know Disney will accommodate them. It’s just sad THEY have to put up with rude and demanding guest. In the real world I would like to see how far that would get them :ack:

Next time you’re in a place in Disney just watch how "some" people treat the CM & GR people. It really makes me sick when people can't even muster up a THANK YOU or PLEASE. It's like they are entitled and that makes me so angry. I guess I was just raised in a different time. My parents would never allow us as children or even now to talk to people the way some of these kids and adults talk to the CM.. Sad very sad :( GIVE RESPECT AND YOU WILL GET RESPECT is all I'm saying. And you can't tell me they don't try.

DizneyFreak2002
06-04-2013, 02:19 PM
I think this has to do with people trying to beat the Disney System" Disney has always been a place where if something goes wrong they fix it right away. Examples: you don't like the room they gave you, complain and they will change it no questions asked. You don't like the food; they take it off the bill. You have to return something you bought AND used for the day and returned it by the end of your day in the parks. They return it no questions asked (have seen this happen) you say you need the GAC when your really don't and they give it to you again no questions asked. This last one is the one that bothers me more than the GAC one. When a ride has a problem and you sit for more than FIVE minutes and go and DEMAND they give you a free ticket for another day :thedolls: I have seen people do this as well. All this being said. I think is the reason things have changed in the way they do business. cast members, guest relations etc. are probably so tired of "GUEST" trying to BEAT the system..YES we pay a lot of money to be there and we will keep doing it WHY because we love the feeling you get when you pass the gates. The memories out way all the complaining and craziness that goes into a vacation at Disney. I don’t really understand why people feel so entitled when they are there.

SO is the Magic lost? I think it depends on who you ask. If your one of those people that think everything should be given to you just because you pay a higher ticket price. Then maybe you’re the one that has lost the Magic and become one of those who DEMANDS everything at the slightest problem or the people who pay the ticket price and go with no cares and no worries just to enjoy their vacation If a problem arrives they know it will be taken care of and you just move on…

I'm someone who feels the magic is lost and I am not in that group you described... Before lumping people into a classification, research a bit... Most people who feel the magic is lost are the ones with open minds who see the decline in product and services, stale parks, cut entertainment, broken animatronics, less than show ready attractions... Essentially, over the last 10 years, you are paying more for less... I can justify the price increases if they actually are doing something with the parks... They aren't.. Sorry, the Fantasyland addition does not cut it...

ChipNDale79
06-04-2013, 02:25 PM
I'm someone who feels the magic is lost and I am not in that group you described... Before lumping people into a classification, research a bit... Most people who feel the magic is lost are the ones with open minds who see the decline in product and services, stale parks, cut entertainment, broken animatronics, less than show ready attractions... Essentially, over the last 10 years, you are paying more for less... I can justify the price increases if they actually are doing something with the parks... They aren't.. Sorry, the Fantasyland addition does not cut it...

Let me add to your post as to why I can't put up with some of the things going on at Disney. I live less than 2 miles from Carowinds, it's a regional thrill park owned by cedar fair. They've got a ton of roller coasters and things like that. The quality of theming is bad and the customer service is horrible, but you literally get in the door for the entire season at Carowinds for less than what Disney charges me for one day. Knowing what to expect when I walk through the gates at Carowinds, I'm ok with that.

When I go to Disney I expect the bar to be raised, I expect things to be in working order and I expect CMs to have smiles on their faces and be happy to help you.

I don't want Disney to turn into a Carowinds, if they do, I wont go.

End of rant.

DizneyFreak2002
06-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Actually, I think the "whiz bang" new technology and rides are for the new guests, not those who have gone to Disney for years. The newbies compare Disney to its competitors, such as Universal; those who are regulars value the service more than the technology, the overall experience more than the thrill, the "magic" more than the shine. Of course, this is a generalization, but I believe the reason there are fanatics and aficionados who return year after year is because of the little things, yes, even the "value." What value? The value of knowing that Disney planned to the tiniest detail; that even as you stood in a long queue, you weren't cattle; that Disney viewed you, not as customers, but as guests; and that Disney didn't start from the perspective of the ride or the show, but from the perspective of the guests: What was OUR experience, OUR viewpoint, OUR sense of endless possibility. There are places at Disney this is still found, but less than before, and the value is far less. I can buy whiz bang at Best Buy; I can't conjure up a special moment of whimsy or wonder as Disney once could.

I agree with what you said... It it the little things that separate Disney from everyone else... But Disney is no longer about the little things.. At least not in WDW... All WDW to them is a cash cow, milk it for all it is worth... And how do they milk the property? By milking the guests... The new NextGen nonsense is NOT a way to make the guest experience more pleasant.. it is a program designed to milk more money from you...

WDW views their guests as ATMs... You are no longer important to them... Service has declined, product has declined... The value has declined... Wonder why three of Disney's parks are not priced at the same level as MK? Well, MK has a new area with a C ticket ride (which I read comments every day on, something is always broken or off already), a restaurant which already jacked priced and cut menu items (oh and will be going Signature in the fall so expect more price gouging), a meet and greet, and a ride taking 3 years to build which has been cut down in size, scope, show scenes, and length... There is a difference between substance and style... The new Fantasyland area has the style, but no substance... What do you have in the other three parks? A park with no direction and is a mess, a park dedicated to animals with a broken animatronic which they still sell as the major point to Everest, and Epcot, where the future is now the past, updates have been lackluster, and the park gets more and more stale by the day...

minnie04
06-04-2013, 03:00 PM

I think if you read my post again. You will see I said "it depends on who you ask" not putting everyone in the same category.

DizneyFreak2002
06-04-2013, 03:06 PM
Let me add to your post as to why I can't put up with some of the things going on at Disney. I live less than 2 miles from Carowinds, it's a regional thrill park owned by cedar fair. They've got a ton of roller coasters and things like that. The quality of theming is bad and the customer service is horrible, but you literally get in the door for the entire season at Carowinds for less than what Disney charges me for one day. Knowing what to expect when I walk through the gates at Carowinds, I'm ok with that.

When I go to Disney I expect the bar to be raised, I expect things to be in working order and I expect CMs to have smiles on their faces and be happy to help you.

I don't want Disney to turn into a Carowinds, if they do, I wont go.

End of rant.

Which is why this year's D23 is make or break for WDW... If nothing major is announced, and by major I mean something huge for the theme parks which ADD to the guest experience (major attractions, major expansions) not more NextGen garbage, then WDW is done... All hope would be lost... Give us something to be excited about again... They have failed in this for 13 or so years...

And even if they do announce something big (and they just might), they still have to follow through with it... Not announce it, and then hope people forget... DHS would be my guess for something HUGE... They are last in attendance in WDW and need the boost to a sagging, lagging, and decaying park... And IOA/UNI is primed to over take DHS in attendance in 2 years...

cer
06-04-2013, 03:18 PM
I agree with what you said... It it the little things that separate Disney from everyone else... But Disney is no longer about the little things..

Service has declined, product has declined... The value has declined... Wonder why three of Disney's parks are not priced at the same level as MK? Well, MK has a new area with a C ticket ride (which I read comments every day on, something is always broken or off already), a restaurant which already jacked priced and cut menu items (oh and will be going Signature in the fall so expect more price gouging), a meet and greet, and a ride taking 3 years to build which has been cut down in size, scope, show scenes, and length... There is a difference between substance and style... The new Fantasyland area has the style, but no substance... What do you have in the other three parks? A park with no direction and is a mess, a park dedicated to animals with a broken animatronic which they still sell as the major point to Everest, and Epcot, where the future is now the past, updates have been lackluster, and the park gets more and more stale by the day...

:(

It breaks my heart, but I believe you are right.

If the parks aren't the draw, it has to be the service/cast members. If the service goes away, what is to keep me coming back? The memories and excitement we once experienced here? It is a scary position for Disney to be in.

Or is it me? Am I jaded? I just find myself not getting excited about it. I am excited about the vacation, excited about my family time, but not wanting to spend any more than I absolutely have to.

Right now, though, it seems RunDisney is pretty much doing everything right, although Christine reported that even the Everest Challenge had cutbacks in that run this year.

:confused:

DizneyRox
06-04-2013, 03:59 PM
They still haven't fixed the Yeti?

Weren't we talking about this same time last year, they were planning on taking the ride offline for a little while, they had a solution, etc?

So, I'll guess the fishing nets are still up at Tough to be a Bug?

DVC2004
06-04-2013, 04:53 PM
They still haven't fixed the Yeti?

Weren't we talking about this same time last year, they were planning on taking the ride offline for a little while, they had a solution, etc?

I was there about 5 weeks ago and Yeti was still not fixed. And the falcon/bird where the tracks end does not appear anymore. You still hear the sound effect but no bird.

caryrae
06-04-2013, 05:26 PM
Is there a point where Disney will be just to big for itself (talking more the Theme Parks/Resorts areas) are they there now or close to it or can they really not be to big for themselves?

Tekneek
06-04-2013, 05:34 PM
I was there about 5 weeks ago and Yeti was still not fixed. And the falcon/bird where the tracks end does not appear anymore. You still hear the sound effect but no bird.

They should be embarrassed, and close it out of shame. Yet, they pretend it was meant to be like this.

TinkerbellT421
06-04-2013, 05:34 PM
I'm having dejavu from this thread about this time last year. Just sayin.

And if I'm paying a premium, I expect premium. The end. Will I still go? Am I going again in January? Yes. Will we eventually start spending more time at the room and less in the parks, probably. Time will tell. But disney should think better than to expect us to pay top dollar for subpar service. And lately, not to be a Debbie downer, but while I still love the world and everything involved, it's starting to be stagnant. Take the money from these increases and put it to good use, my two cents.

DizneyFreak2002
06-04-2013, 05:50 PM
Is there a point where Disney will be just to big for itself (talking more the Theme Parks/Resorts areas) are they there now or close to it or can they really not be to big for themselves?
I think WDW is already too big for its britches...

Most of the problems with the size is they do not staff accordingly... Poor staffing numbers leads to more stress on the CMs... Leads to less than stellar service Disney is known for...

Wait until the DVC bust happens... And it will... DVC is becoming too saturated... The demand is waning... And not just that but DVC members, you know those visitors who Disney thought would spend every day in the parks or on property spending money, are NOT doing that... More and more DVC members are going off property to dine, to visit more local attractions and night spots... And, gasp, Universal... I know, come October of this year, Disney may see my face checking into BLT and SSR, but they won't be getting one dime from me, not in their restaurants or in their theme parks... But guess where my hard earned money WILL be spent?? Up the road on I-4 and in other restaurants off site...

DizneyFreak2002
06-04-2013, 05:56 PM
what is to keep me coming back? The memories and excitement we once experienced here?

This is what WDW is relying on.. past experience... past magical moments... Nostalgia.. But that only goes so far... People aren't as dumb as they sound half the time... They will wake up one day and say WDW is just not worth the cost and stress you will be under trying to book that "magical" vacation... When that happens? Dunno... But they are getting dangerously close...

Or is it me? Am I jaded? I just find myself not getting excited about it. I am excited about the vacation, excited about my family time, but not wanting to spend any more than I absolutely have to. Jaded? no... You are a realist... You are seeing exactly what I have been posting for a while now... You are seeing the decline in offerings but the jacking of the prices... For what? Remember, something that is expensive is supposed to have the perception of being top notch... While WDW is not in the gutters, the place has seen a decline in service and product, and for sure does not justify huge increases....

I'm having dejavu from this thread about this time last year. Just sayin.

And if I'm paying a premium, I expect premium. The end. Will I still go? Am I going again in January? Yes. Will we eventually start spending more time at the room and less in the parks, probably. Time will tell. But disney should think better than to expect us to pay top dollar for subpar service. And lately, not to be a Debbie downer, but while I still love the world and everything involved, it's starting to be stagnant. Take the money from these increases and put it to good use, my two cents.
There is a theme park, well 2 actually, giving the guest their bang for their buck, with improved, actually, much improved service and state of the art rides, attractions, expansions... You know, things you expect from a theme park... not tracking devices and MOUSE ARREST bands Lindsay Lohan would feel at home in... :)

Wayne
06-04-2013, 07:51 PM
WDW lost me and my family a few years ago and I've been a regular guest since 1978. The decline started with Eisner's insistence to overbuild onsite lodging (including DVC) instead of focusing on show in the parks. For several years now, the steady increases in pricing coupled with the lack of any real updating and the failure to maintain what they already had has lowered the value to me. As a former theme park professional, I used to be able to visit Disney and feel like I was in another place. The last time I was there, there were so many little things that were neglected that I couldn't enjoy my visit.

Bottom line for me is this, the current pricing structure greatly exceeds the value that I see in the Disney experience as it exists today. And with the current attitudes at the corporate level, I don't see that changing anytime soon.

DizneyRox
06-04-2013, 07:59 PM
... And not just that but DVC members, you know those visitors who Disney thought would spend every day in the parks or on property spending money, are NOT doing that... More and more DVC members are going off property to dine, to visit more local attractions and night spots... And, gasp, Universal... I know, come October of this year, Disney may see my face checking into BLT and SSR, but they won't be getting one dime from me, not in their restaurants or in their theme parks... But guess where my hard earned money WILL be spent?? Up the road on I-4 and in other restaurants off site...
That's the plan in July... Using our DVC points for accommodations, but we're visiting Universal. It's been since we got married (incidentally at the wedding pavillion) that we have been to USF/IOA. We're quite looking forward to it.

dnickels
06-04-2013, 09:34 PM
The TEA report that was out today showed 2.2-2.3% attendance growth at each of the 4 Florida parks so the price increases aren't pushing too many away.

I think people like DisneyRox, etc. are in the minority as far as actually putting their money where their mouth is so to speak. You could probably go back through the price increase threads since the inception of intercot and find many "that's it I'm done" or "If they keep doing this I'm done" posts from people who interestingly keep adding upcoming or recent trips in their sig lines. A lot of folks are just plain Disney addicts, they'll complain, but go back, they'll swear off Disney and then post a new thread less than 48 hrs later talking about the great deal they got to go back to Disney (saw that actual scenario on here awhile back).

I realize they have reached that breaking point for some people, but the attendance numbers in the aggregate show that they haven't reached it on a large scale yet so I imagine we'll continue to see prices rise faster than inflation. The only way that changes if enough people take their $$ elsewhere.

Mendelson
06-04-2013, 10:48 PM
dnickels, you clearly don't understand. It's the worst place on the planet, which is exactly why people post on here multiple times a day. To remind us of that fact! :mickey:

ChipNDale79
06-05-2013, 08:20 AM
The TEA report that was out today showed 2.2-2.3% attendance growth at each of the 4 Florida parks so the price increases aren't pushing too many away.

What's not noted here is that both Universal parks in Orlando grew more by percentage points than all 4 of the WDW parks, in a few years with all the attractions that Universal is adding, I believe both Universal parks will surpass either or both of DHS and DAK in attendance.

How do you fix that problem? It's pretty simple, take a look at DCA, a 22% growth doesn't lie. Radiator springs is a major success. I'm not saying that's what they should do, personally I think WDW should focus on Star Wars, and if they do, I think you'll see a lot less complaining from us.

I'm not sure I agree that this D23 is make it or break it for WDW, but I do think we'll find out what priority level DHS is and if they are really ok with it's current state.

BhamWriter
06-05-2013, 09:30 AM
The TEA report that was out today showed 2.2-2.3% attendance growth at each of the 4 Florida parks so the price increases aren't pushing too many away....

I realize they have reached that breaking point for some people, but the attendance numbers in the aggregate show that they haven't reached it on a large scale yet so I imagine we'll continue to see prices rise faster than inflation. The only way that changes if enough people take their $$ elsewhere.

Attendance may be up, but I'd like to see statistics for how many are first-time guests or guests who are at WDW for the first time in many years vice how many are regular attendees. Is the percentage going up for multiple-repeat visitors? If the number of one-and-done guests increases, and the number of regulars decreases, then Disney will have to attract more and more first-time guests, perhaps eventually reaching a tipping point leading to declines rather than increases.

There are people who will go to WDW no matter what, at least, until they can no longer afford it. But there are many who DO reach a point of no return (literally) or who simply lose interest. Lack of belief that Disney represents value will add to that latter category.

Dulcee
06-05-2013, 09:39 AM
Sure Universal attendance (IOA) increased in 2012 to a whopping 7.9 million, which is a 4% increase over 2011. I'd imagine it has a huge amount to do with the Harry Potter World.

But, it doesn't even begin to compete with the Magic Kingdom's 126 million. It only just begins to compete with HS 9.9 million. And the 6 million seen by Universal Studios pales even more in comparison.

I think as a few people above said, a lot of people say thats it I'm done but the reality is 1) many of you go back and 2) you aren't the bulk of Disney's guests. At the end of the day the vast majority of disney's profit come from the once or twice in a lifetime trips. Many are also coming from overseas where these prices don't price them out.

Plus with the expected opening of Shanghai Disney in a few more years Disney as a whole will continue to show growth and hold the number one position without much issue.

Tekneek
06-05-2013, 09:53 AM
I don't think anybody is really saying that WDW is a terrible place to be, or that Disney is terrible. Many are saying that it isn't what it used to be, they know it, and they don't like it. Predominantly first-time guests have a great time. They have no other Disney experience to compare it to. Many newcomers probably have little or no idea how it used to be, and so they don't compare Disney to themselves. The toughest competitor Disney still has is themselves. The harshest critics of Disney that I know are those that have been fans the longest and appear to get more and more ambivalent, even apathetic, about the company (and WDW) as time goes by.

Unless we're just amazed and blown away on our next trip, I can't see us going back again. If we decide, ultimately, that we want to maintain the tradition of each child being able to celebrate a birthday at WDW, we will probably go back once over the next 6 to 9 years. We certainly haven't made up our minds on that yet either. She's only 6 months old at the moment, so that gives us a long time to decide.

minnie04
06-05-2013, 10:15 AM
How do you fix that problem? It's pretty simple, take a look at DCA, a 22% growth doesn't lie. Radiator springs is a major success.

That's what I have been saying. They should close down the speedway and make that whole area about Cars. The kids would love it. I have to say the whole 'Fantasyland" is not cutting it. I would think when the new roller coaster opens it might be really good something new, but I thought that area was going to be way bigger then it is. Not a fan, but I know the little ones like the Mermaid and Belle attractions. My question is WHY beauty and the beast? And did they really need another restaurant in the park. To me it’s a waste of space. I thought that area was going to be all about the Princess’s is there something I missed. I think it would have been better to leave 20,000’s leagues and make that into a mermaid under water ride or Nemo.:mickey:

TheVBs
06-05-2013, 12:28 PM
We typically go every other year for 9 or 10 days. We usually have one waterpark day and we no longer do park hoppers. So, overall, we'll likely feel less impact from the price increase.

However, you know who I think this really drives away the most? The families that have never been to WDW, but would like to just get a taste of it for one day to see if they like it. If you've never been there and you're not sure you'll like it you might want to just go to the MK for one day and see what it's like before you make more of a commitment. My b.i.l. and his family did this. Obviously they hated it because they spent so much money on just one day, then tried to cram everything in and were absolutely exhausted.

We'd like to try Universal, but are not ready to commit a lot of time and money. If we wanted to just spend one day and go to one park, that's over $350 just to get in. So far, we haven't been willing to spend that much on one day. Ditto with Legoland, which would be $300 just to get in. And then what if we didn't enjoy it? It's a hard leap to make.

As far as the magic and the value goes, that's always going to be an individual opinion. We continue to have really wonderful trips there and have loved every one. We've had magic on every trip. If that changes, or we can't afford to go for some reason, that's when we simply make a different choice. Only you can decide where your money goes.

Tekneek
06-05-2013, 12:37 PM
The thing about Universal is that you can buy that FlexTicket and for 14 days you can go to the Universal parks, the Sea World parks, and Wet n' Wild. So, let's say you're going to be in town for two weeks, you can go to 1 of 5 parks each day at a cost of about $20 a day including taxes. Spend around $24 a day and you can add Busch Gardens Tampa into that park rotation.

That's a deal that Disney doesn't even try to compete with, and one we will probably take advantage of in a future non-Disney vacation.

A lot of people can't take advantage of it because of time, but if you had transportation and time, it is a strong one to consider.

DVC2004
06-05-2013, 12:39 PM
The thing about Universal is that you can buy that FlexTicket and for 14 days you can go to the Universal parks, the Sea World parks, and Wet n' Wild. So, let's say you're going to be in town for two weeks, you can go to 1 of 5 parks each day at a cost of about $20 a day including taxes. Spend around $24 a day and you can add Busch Gardens Tampa into that park rotation.

That's a deal that Disney that doesn't even try to compete with, and one we will probably take advantage of in a future non-Disney vacation.

Very good point! We have down this before and added Busch Gardens. You certainly can get alot for your money doing this.

DizneyFreak2002
06-05-2013, 03:09 PM
I don't think anybody is really saying that WDW is a terrible place to be, or that Disney is terrible. Many are saying that it isn't what it used to be, they know it, and they don't like it. Predominantly first-time guests have a great time. They have no other Disney experience to compare it to. Many newcomers probably have little or no idea how it used to be, and so they don't compare Disney to themselves. The toughest competitor Disney still has is themselves. The harshest critics of Disney that I know are those that have been fans the longest and appear to get more and more ambivalent, even apathetic, about the company (and WDW) as time goes by.

Unless we're just amazed and blown away on our next trip, I can't see us going back again. If we decide, ultimately, that we want to maintain the tradition of each child being able to celebrate a birthday at WDW, we will probably go back once over the next 6 to 9 years. We certainly haven't made up our minds on that yet either. She's only 6 months old at the moment, so that gives us a long time to decide.

This, 1000 times this...

I love the people who flock to the site to try to bash people who actually see a decline... Then they get mad when they are called dusters... There is no denying, for the last 10 years or more, WDW has been in decline in service and product... There is no denying many attractions are NOT show ready... There is no denying many entertainment offerings were cut without replacements... That is a decline in product...

Maintenance has been poor... Decline in product... many CMs today have nasty attitudes... Decline in service...

I can only speak for myself but I always mean what I say... When I say I won't be back until they WOW me again, I mean it... I'll be in Orlando in October... Not one day planned for WDW... Not even a restaurant... Nothing... Universal is getting my hard earned money since they are working harder for it... Disney is resting on laurels and not working for anything... They just EXPECT it... So I stick to my word... Maybe others don't, but I don't speak for them, they have to speak for themselves...

Again, WOW me Disney... WOW me like you used to WOW people...

I' glad Tek understands... We are all fans and only want to see the best from Disney... Hey, Disney held themselves to a higher standard... We need to keep holding them to that standard... Lowest common denominator does not work for me like it works for some other WDW fans...

TheVBs
06-05-2013, 05:16 PM
Thanks for that info Tekneek! If we're ever in that situation we will definitely look into that pass. Usually, the scenario is that we're going down to see family (on a non-Disney trip) and would really just like to take one day to get a taste of Universal to see what we think. But just a day is cost prohibitive. :(

DizneyFreak, I hope that my post didn't make you feel that I was dismissive of your opinion. I only wanted to express our own trip experiences. I don't doubt that others have experienced things that disappoint them.

DizneyFreak2002
06-05-2013, 07:13 PM
DizneyFreak, I hope that my post didn't make you feel that I was dismissive of your opinion. I only wanted to express our own trip experiences. I don't doubt that others have experienced things that disappoint them.

Not at all.. I enjoy other people's opinions, especially when they are honest... Just too many people defend Disney at all costs without even putting any thought behind it... It's Disney so therefore it is perfect mentality has allowed TDO to cut things left and right in the parks... That was never the Disney way...

I never said the place wasn't fun, and I seriously hold nothing against people who do enjoy it... I'm glad they do.. I just simply point out how there has been a steady decline in the place that is charging extraordinary amounts of money... I just believe in holding Disney to their own standards (which have been set extremely high)... They no longer do, at least in WDW...

People obviously see value... I don't... I don't hold grudges against people who want to visit... Have fun! But, I no longer see the value... I don't think WDW is worth the price of admission anymore... not until they WOW me again... I was there a few years ago, felt the parks are too stagnant.. Nothing new... Did that, done that, not going back... However, I was WOW'd by the theme park up the road... And their plan is something new every year for the next 10 years while we wait for anything from Disney... Universal will be a completely different park by time Disney gets around to opening ANYTHING, including Avatar which is now 2 years since the announcement and not one piece of concept art or any information/construction... See where my money is going? New and exciting, not the same old, same old..

That is why I said this D23 will be extremely important to WDW... The attendance won't always be carried by foreigners, especially when the U.S. dollar gains in value and exchange rates do not benefit the foreign traveler...

I like you VB... Keep posting your excellent and fun to read posts! :)

I do want to add one thing: We are ALL fans here.. Just some of us want to see Disney be the best, others accept any garbage Disney throws at them... The other difference? Those of us who hold Disney to the Disney standard are growing in numbers and getting a larger voice...

Jared
06-05-2013, 09:40 PM
Blah. Ticket increases. Whatever. The ticket prices will increase every summer for the rest of our lives, and that's just the reality of it. Accept it. It won't change. The same goes for Universal. If eventually they price you out, you'll have to stop going. That stinks, but it's life. It's where we are.

I still go to Disney. I still buy an annual pass. I still think it's worth it. People might call me a "pixie-duster," but I don't think that would be fair. I have a pretty good sense of the state of the parks. I continue to go because they continue to make me happy -- stagnant or not.

There is a perception in some corners of the fan community that Disney is engaged in some sort of conspiracy -- that they have intentionally decided to sabotage the parks and make us unhappy. That isn't the case. Disney behaves in the way that it behaves because it is still making insane amounts of money. For all of our talk about market share and declining by degrees and fear in the halls of Burbank, let's face it: Disney still rules Orlando. Universal isn't making nearly of a dent as perhaps some think it is. I guarantee to you that Disney would react if they felt a threat to their business. I guarantee. They still don't think it's necessary.

So if you think it's no longer worth it to your family, stop going. If enough people agree, things will change. I want to Disney return to its former glory, too -- and yet I enable the problem. What does that say about the current state of affairs?

Mendelson
06-06-2013, 09:02 AM
Many are saying that it isn't what it used to be, they know it, and they don't like it.

That's certainly what some are saying, and with justification.

I was more referring to people who apparently have reached that point and then continued on, developing what comes across as an odd fan-hostility toward WDW. There are people who post frequently and with every single comment are aggressively and unremittingly negative. If they looked back through their last 100 posts and absorbed the tone of those comments in the aggregate, it might surprise them. But maybe not.

There is a tinge of schadenfreude anytime they hear of someone having a bad experience, they spin good news as bad, and they set up a strawman argument about people who post on here who think Disney can do no wrong (I have personally encountered very, very, very few of those people on Intercot).

This is a message board and there's room for all of that and I understand that what's really driving it is a long-ago deep love for WDW and a wish for it to return to a (perhaps overly romanticized and never actually realized) wonderful state.

I should say that I usually find their posts very entertaining, and sometime even informative.

Mendelson
06-06-2013, 09:03 AM
There is a perception in some corners of the fan community that Disney is engaged in some sort of conspiracy -- that they have intentionally decided to sabotage the parks and make us unhappy.

Fascinating.

And what do such people say is the business decision behind this?

Tekneek
06-06-2013, 09:58 AM
I was more referring to people who apparently have reached that point and then continued on, developing what comes across as an odd fan-hostility toward WDW.

No doubt I can be negative and cynical. I have fundamental disagreements with Disney over the direction of some things, specifically all of Epcot and Tomorrowland at MK. I think the evidence speaks for itself with these. There is less to do at Epcot today than there was in 1990, and what there is to do has almost nothing to do with what Epcot was supposed to be about. I'm not even being cynical here, I think anybody would have a hard time refuting that.

I am pretty certain I'm not the demographic Disney cares to appeal to any longer. Perhaps they reserve the superior guest service for their deluxe resorts, of which I have never stayed and likely never will. I don't know if the declining guest service in the parks is due to business decisions, but it hasn't been a one or two year cyclical condition. It has been ongoing for a while now.

If you ever read the book called The Disney Way, you will see how there are some companies that were once inspired by the Disney guest service and now are certainly leaps and bounds ahead of Disney (this part isn't what the book is about, it is my opinion). I can remember that Disney level of guest service. I am stunned when I go through an area and see Castmembers being openly sarcastic, rude, and unhelpful. Being a bit of a Disney fanatic, I almost never need to ask a CM for anything, but I watch and listen to their interactions with other guests. It was a longstanding concept that they would never leave you with "I don't know" as an answer, but it seems routine these days. I can only surmise that the culture is in decline due to neglect, or specific business decisions to lower the quality. Regardless of how it is happening, it is a change in a wrong direction.

For me, the magic was always in the service. All of the rest was just the setting for the magic to take place. I think Disney might now believe that all the attractions and intellectual property actually are the magic. I can believe that because that supports what I see. That is what I see is going on. Not that they want us to be unhappy. More a fundamental difference between what the magic really is. Disney of today thinks it is ride tech, promotions, magic bands, etc, that are magical. I think it is CMs that amaze you at every turn and a forward-thinking guest service attention to detail that doesn't simply apologize for bad show.

waymickey
06-06-2013, 10:59 AM
Prices on all the menus seem to be going up too. It is sad that they charge more and have idle buildings and maintenece that sits untouched. But like so many others I will go again and over look these things. I still think Disney is better than most theme parks but their lead is getting smaller and smaller.

Tekneek
06-06-2013, 11:26 AM
I still think Disney is better than most theme parks but their lead is getting smaller and smaller.

Me too.

ransam
06-06-2013, 01:21 PM
Look at it this way.
if you go to worlds of fun in kansas city, it's $45, if you wanted to add fast pass it's another $40.

at six flags it's $52 for a single day ticket and another $35 for a fast pass.

so a day at MK isn't that much more expensive considering for the admission you get fast pass.

Tekneek
06-06-2013, 02:33 PM
so a day at MK isn't that much more expensive considering for the admission you get fast pass.

Those other "fast pass" things you're talking about are actually express/front-of-the-line access, right? That is not what FastPass is.

FastPass is the scheduling of a ride time. FastPass+ is about scheduling your ride times up to 60 days in advance, which even further diminishes the value of a 1 day ticket. Families who find they have free time and want to try Disney for a day will be paying the most for the worst Disney experience possible (though, they may not know what they are missing with the inability to schedule FP+ times or get into table service restaurants).

seanyred
06-07-2013, 12:00 PM
Those other "fast pass" things you're talking about are actually express/front-of-the-line access, right? That is not what FastPass is.

FastPass is the scheduling of a ride time. FastPass+ is about scheduling your ride times up to 60 days in advance, which even further diminishes the value of a 1 day ticket. Families who find they have free time and want to try Disney for a day will be paying the most for the worst Disney experience possible (though, they may not know what they are missing with the inability to schedule FP+ times or get into table service restaurants).

At Six Flags their Flash Pass works very similar to Disney's Fast pass. You don't go to the front of the line you just get to wait less. But it is an add on feature and it has multiple options depending how much you want to pay. Let's face it everything is expensive and the cost of most everything goes up every year.

Ian
06-07-2013, 12:46 PM
Ian talks about his reaction to this round of price increases on the INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Episode 52. ;)

Some of you may be surprised .... :party:

Aurora
06-07-2013, 12:57 PM
Ian talks about his reaction to this round of price increases on the INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Episode 52. ;)

Not anymore. ;) <...but still runs to listen to the podcast anyway...>

Oh, wait.

Tekneek
06-08-2013, 08:39 AM
Let's face it everything is expensive and the cost of most everything goes up every year.

I don't necessarily agree that this is an absolute rule, but are service declines just as inevitable? We are destined to pay more for less until the end of time?

Melanie
06-08-2013, 12:49 PM

Don't you love when people refer to themselves in third person? ;)

We all discuss, it's not just Ian talking to himself. lol! But yes, episode 51 isn't up yet, so it will be a bit til episode 52.

VWL Mom
06-08-2013, 01:09 PM
Don't you love when people refer to themselves in third person? ;)

:thumbsup:

ransam
06-11-2013, 03:32 PM

Not true.
I haven't been to Six Flags, but to to WOF all the time. it is basically the same thing as fast pass.
and as far as service, the experience, and how clean the parks are, WDW is worth it.

ransam
06-11-2013, 03:46 PM
No doubt I can be negative and cynical. I have fundamental disagreements with Disney over the direction of some things, specifically all of Epcot and Tomorrowland at MK. I think the evidence speaks for itself with these. There is less to do at Epcot today than there was in 1990, and what there is to do has almost nothing to do with what Epcot was supposed to be about. I'm not even being cynical here, I think anybody would have a hard time refuting that.

I am pretty certain I'm not the demographic Disney cares to appeal to any longer. Perhaps they reserve the superior guest service for their deluxe resorts, of which I have never stayed and likely never will. I don't know if the declining guest service in the parks is due to business decisions, but it hasn't been a one or two year cyclical condition. It has been ongoing for a while now.

If you ever read the book called The Disney Way, you will see how there are some companies that were once inspired by the Disney guest service and now are certainly leaps and bounds ahead of Disney (this part isn't what the book is about, it is my opinion). I can remember that Disney level of guest service. I am stunned when I go through an area and see Castmembers being openly sarcastic, rude, and unhelpful. Being a bit of a Disney fanatic, I almost never need to ask a CM for anything, but I watch and listen to their interactions with other guests. It was a longstanding concept that they would never leave you with "I don't know" as an answer, but it seems routine these days. I can only surmise that the culture is in decline due to neglect, or specific business decisions to lower the quality. Regardless of how it is happening, it is a change in a wrong direction.

For me, the magic was always in the service. All of the rest was just the setting for the magic to take place. I think Disney might now believe that all the attractions and intellectual property actually are the magic. I can believe that because that supports what I see. That is what I see is going on. Not that they want us to be unhappy. More a fundamental difference between what the magic really is. Disney of today thinks it is ride tech, promotions, magic bands, etc, that are magical. I think it is CMs that amaze you at every turn and a forward-thinking guest service attention to detail that doesn't simply apologize for bad show.

this is a very interesting post. I have read the Disney Way and everyone in my company is requred as well to read it.

you know i have heard people say over and over that guest service is diminsihing and maybe i just have pixie dust in my eyes but i haven't seen it. i am a 50 year old disney geek, and one of the reasons i keep coming back is that once you enter the park it's a whole new lifestyle.
I go a couple times a year, once just as a touch up for a day or two, and another as a longer vacation. Each time as i return to the real world, i am saddened by the way people are treated outside Disney.
this past february i was fortuante enough to take my 3 year old son (who might, we are stil checking have autism) for the first time and his mother. She hadn't gone in about 4 years. At least a couple times she complained about a ride missing or long ines, but she also stated over and over how happy she was that the customer service is still as great as ever.
i could give tons of examples (from when my son was crying about waiting in line, and a lady who worked at a concession stand from accross the street came over w/ a ice cream bar for him. to when waiting for Buzz and Woody he was getting impatient and the lady in charge of the line took my number down and said she would text us when our place in line since he wouldn't sit still. as we were leaving i messed up the a flight and a lady at the All star sports spent literally 2 hours fixing it, and then gave us all pens and notebooks for having to wait!, i could go on)
now having said this, we have had a couple bad examples over the last few years, but considering how many times we've been and how many cast members i have come into contact with and i can think of only 2, that is a pretty good number.

Anyway,it ***** that not everyone has been as fortunate as I have, but for me, there is still no experience as awesome as Disney, and none where i feel treats me better.

DizneyFreak2002
06-11-2013, 07:00 PM
Not true.
I haven't been to Six Flags, but to to WOF all the time. it is basically the same thing as fast pass.
and as far as service, the experience, and how clean the parks are, WDW is worth it.

Six Flags' Flash Pass works similar to FastPass...

From the Six Flags Great Adventure in NJ website:

Pack in all the thrills and excitement you can with THE FLASH Pass. Six Flags Great Adventure's virtual ride reservation system holds your place in line electronically, so you can spend more time having fun and less time waiting for our most popular attractions. When it's almost time for your turn to ride, an alert is sent to THE FLASH Pass. It's that simple.

A Regular THE FLASH Pass allows you to enjoy your day at Six Flags by avoiding long lines at your favorite rides. With a Regular THE FLASH Pass, you wait as long as everyone else is waiting, but not in line—you can enjoy your free time elsewhere in the park.

With a Gold THE FLASH Pass, you enjoy a significant reduction in wait time allowing you to ride more rides with less wait.

Platinum THE FLASH Pass allows you to enjoy riding our rides with the least amount of waiting! Consecutive Riding allows you to WAIT ONCE and RIDE TWICE. Quantities are limited.

MarkC
06-12-2013, 10:18 AM
Everytime I see an article about ticket prices increasing, I know a long thread is coming about how Disney is getting too expensive and service isn't the same. This is called capitalism. If you don't like it or it's too expensive-- don't go. None of us are guaranteed the right to go to Disney. I've been 25 times in the past 16 years (haven't noticed any drops in service either). I consider myself very blessed. Most people can never go. I'm guessing if you are reading my post you've also been to Disney several times. Just remember Disney is a business just like Ford or Verizon. Sometimes things work and sometimes they don't. We answer with our wallets. It's as simple as that. I realize most of us are very passionate about Disney and for good reason, but unless we are on the board of directors we have very little say in how they run their business unless enough people stop going. I don't see that happening.

ransam
06-12-2013, 11:07 AM
Everytime I see an article about ticket prices increasing, I know a long thread is coming about how Disney is getting too expensive and service isn't the same. This is called capitalism. If you don't like it or it's too expensive-- don't go. None of us are guaranteed the right to go to Disney. I've been 25 times in the past 16 years (haven't noticed any drops in service either). I consider myself very blessed. Most people can never go. I'm guessing if you are reading my post you've also been to Disney several times. Just remember Disney is a business just like Ford or Verizon. Sometimes things work and sometimes they don't. We answer with our wallets. It's as simple as that. I realize most of us are very passionate about Disney and for good reason, but unless we are on the board of directors we have very little say in how they run their business unless enough people stop going. I don't see that happening.

great post and i agree.
I am all about customer service and i work for a major architect firm. when we are setting up fees and proposals, the partners have to constantly remind me that we are a business, and we are here to make make money.
Disney is the same way, I have no problem w/ them making money. The parks are getting bigger, technology is getting better, and that cost money.
and you're right, we all have the option of not going or going.
I'm in a place in my life that i can go pretty anywhere i want (not rich by any stretch of imagination, but i am stable) i often think to my self when i get home from a WDW vacation that i should go somewhere else next time.
but i keep coming back. there is a reason for that.
Most on this board i would think feels the same way.