PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: American Idol Experience on the way out?

PirateLover
05-31-2013, 04:03 PM
Some people are buzzing about the fact that Disney may be looking to ditch AI Experience. I know many on here would rejoice at that prospect! When it first opened, I took more of the "Wait and see" approach, as I was still a big fan of the show at the time. I visited twice, and enjoyed it, but not as much as I had hoped to. Looks like the naysayers were right this time, as the show has since taken a major ratings nose dive and the attraction is not getting much traffic, either.

What is spawning the rumors is the fact that the latest AI winner, Candice Glover, is the first winner since the attraction opened to not get a motorcade and performance at Hollywood Studios or film an "I'm going to Disney World" commercial after her win. She did go to the park to film new segments for the attraction.

Could this signal that Disney is beginning to distance themselves from the brand, and that the attraction is possibly on the way out? What would you like to see in its place?

Melanie
05-31-2013, 04:30 PM
An updated Superstar Television. :D

Celakip
05-31-2013, 04:36 PM
Bring back Who Wants To Be A Millionnaire - Play It!:mickey:

Quadstriker
05-31-2013, 04:56 PM
What would you like to see in its place?

Anything else.

Make it a large dole whip stand.

Anything.

Fangorn
05-31-2013, 06:05 PM

I'm with Mel. Superstar Television was a lot of fun and each show involved lots of guests in the show. A far better interactive experience.

Steve

Ian
05-31-2013, 07:52 PM

Bring back Who Wants To Be A Millionnaire - Play It!:mickey:

Either one of these would be cool, although I doubt they'd happen. I used to absolutely LOVE Millionare!

But really couldn't they do with another top quality dark ride in the Studios? Maybe the Monsters attraction from DL?

DizneyFreak2002
05-31-2013, 08:04 PM
**cough cough** Lucas/Star Wars **cough cough**

TinkerbellT421
05-31-2013, 08:46 PM
A giant arena that just sells margaritas!!! :marg: :mickey:

Anything would be good, ANYTHING

PirateLover
05-31-2013, 09:54 PM

This would be my preference ;)

FLKatie912
06-01-2013, 12:11 AM
Some people are buzzing about the fact that Disney may be looking to ditch AI Experience. I know many on here would rejoice at that prospect! When it first opened, I took more of the "Wait and see" approach, as I was still a big fan of the show at the time. I visited twice, and enjoyed it, but not as much as I had hoped to. Looks like the naysayers were right this time, as the show has since taken a major ratings nose dive and the attraction is not getting much traffic, either.

What is spawning the rumors is the fact that the latest AI winner, Candice Glover, is the first winner since the attraction opened to not get a motorcade and performance at Hollywood Studios or film an "I'm going to Disney World" commercial after her win. She did go to the park to film new segments for the attraction.

Could this signal that Disney is beginning to distance themselves from the brand, and that the attraction is possibly on the way out? What would you like to see in its place?

The previous season's winner Phillip Phillips also did not get an "I'm Going to Disney World" commercial. I personally love the AI Experience, but know that it doesn't have the crowd pull that it could. I would LOVE to see something like SuperStar Television come back. It's an old idea, but think about how much better it could be with new technology.

DizneyFreak2002
06-01-2013, 01:29 AM
This would be my preference ;)

Honestly, I'm not sure any Star Wars expansion in DHS would swallow up American Idol... I recall reading the plan, if they followed through, would swallow up a large area by Echo lake (which would include Indiana Jones)... I don't think AI was part of that honestly...

caryrae
06-01-2013, 09:39 AM
How bought some kind of Marvel thing since they bought it not long ago?

DizneyFreak2002
06-01-2013, 10:29 AM
How bought some kind of Marvel thing since they bought it not long ago?

Cannot use Marvel in WDW... Universal owns the theme park rights...

Tekneek
06-01-2013, 05:09 PM
I'm sure there is some other fad they can ride into the swamp yet again. The more they try to catch the next wave, the smaller the waves are. Stop trying to catch waves, Disney, and start making some instead.

Dulcee
06-01-2013, 05:17 PM
Anything but Idol would be great. Never been a fan of that one.

kakn7294
06-01-2013, 07:35 PM

I LOVED Superstar Television! Phil and I talk about how much fun it was and how much we miss it every trip.

#1donaldfan
06-04-2013, 12:45 PM
I agree that it should go and anything new, maybe a monsters inc. theme would be nice....:thumbsup:

PirateLover
06-04-2013, 01:23 PM
The previous season's winner Phillip Phillips also did not get an "I'm Going to Disney World" commercial.

Thanks for the info. I was providing second hand info. It appears that Phillip did not perform live in the park either as he was not available after his victory. He did make an appearance later when they were in town for the American Idol tour.

Speaking of, apparently a large chunk of this year's tour dates have been cancelled.

princessgirls
06-04-2013, 02:11 PM
The studios...Otherwise known as the "Lost Park".

I was kind of surprised that the Idol experience was so involved...I hadn't done it previously, and my girls enjoyed it last year.

Julie:mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
06-04-2013, 02:46 PM
I agree that it should go and anything new, maybe a monsters inc. theme would be nice....:thumbsup:

Do you mean the Monsters Inc ride (a roller coaster themed to the door scene in the movie) that was all but announced (it did appear on the HUB for a short time) but then TDO, in their wisdom, decided they didn't want to spend the money building it as part of a Pixar Place expansion, and now DCA will be getting instead? That Monster's Inc? :)

Ms. Mode
06-05-2013, 12:33 PM
Do you mean the Monsters Inc ride (a roller coaster themed to the door scene in the movie) that was all but announced (it did appear on the HUB for a short time) but then TDO, in their wisdom, decided they didn't want to spend the money building it as part of a Pixar Place expansion, and now DCA will be getting instead? That Monster's Inc? :)

You mean WDW isn't getting the Monsters Inc coaster? What's going in the building that used to be Sounds Dangerous then? I could have sworn they told us it was being built there when we went on the Back Stage Tour in Jan 2011.

Tekneek
06-05-2013, 12:46 PM
You mean WDW isn't getting the Monsters Inc coaster? What's going in the building that used to be Sounds Dangerous then? I could have sworn they told us it was being built there when we went on the Back Stage Tour in Jan 2011.

My understanding is that the previous plan was cancelled.

bruin1344
06-05-2013, 01:24 PM

yes

tikiman
06-05-2013, 02:57 PM

Yes it will be part of Star Wars land along with the Indy show and the lake between them.

DizneyFreak2002
06-05-2013, 03:00 PM
Read mine and tikiman's posts... Star Wars will be swallowing up AI, if they go along with the current proposed plans...

Never listen to CMs.. they are the worst for news and rumors...

The rumor/plan was for a Monsters Inc coaster in the back of the park, included in Pixar Place... I forget the soundstage, maybe SS 1? But that plan was knocked down rather quickly after being posted on the employee site, The Hub...

tikiman
06-05-2013, 03:19 PM
Read mine and tikiman's posts... Star Wars will be swallowing up AI, if they go along with the current proposed plans...

Never listen to CMs.. they are the worst for news and rumors...

The rumor/plan was for a Monsters Inc coaster in the back of the park, included in Pixar Place... I forget the soundstage, maybe SS 1? But that plan was knocked down rather quickly after being posted on the employee site, The Hub...

Well said :thumbsup:

mcjaco
06-05-2013, 04:36 PM
I also don't recall any news about it being at DCA either. I'm not sure any of the rumors of it had any traction.

DizneyFreak2002
06-05-2013, 07:17 PM
I also don't recall any news about it being at DCA either. I'm not sure any of the rumors of it had any traction.

Part 2 or Phase 2 of the DCA makeover calls for one of the desolate areas, I forget where I'll need to check up on that, to become Monstropolis, and be anchored by the Monster's Inc door coaster and the current Monster's Inc dark ride... This is expected to be announced at D23...

DizneyFreak2002
06-05-2013, 07:19 PM
Well said :thumbsup:

tikiman, you better be right LOL... I need to be WOW'd again for WDW to get me back... A huge, well done Star Wars land would be a great start... :thumbsup: Unless it is just the typical, value engineered TDO design: DVC cart, merchandise, over priced restaurant and a meet and greet with a C ticket they try to pass off as an E LOL.. :)

Melanie
06-05-2013, 07:57 PM
So they are proposing the Monsters, Inc. dark ride from DCA to come to Florida? I wish they'd do something original. It can be done, as there is a different (along the lines of Buzz Lightyear) Monsters, Inc. attraction at Tokyo Disneyland. Come on WDI....WOW us. ;)

DizneyFreak2002
06-05-2013, 10:05 PM
So they are proposing the Monsters, Inc. dark ride from DCA to come to Florida? I wish they'd do something original. It can be done, as there is a different (along the lines of Buzz Lightyear) Monsters, Inc. attraction at Tokyo Disneyland. Come on WDI....WOW us. ;)

Nope... I believe the door coaster was part of the plan in expanding Pixar Place with a watered down version of Carsland, but that proposal seems to be off the table in favor of Star Wars land... of course, this is Disney, things will change daily... and be cut, reduced, and budgets will explode LOL...

tikiman
06-06-2013, 09:56 AM
tikiman, you better be right LOL... I need to be WOW'd again for WDW to get me back... A huge, well done Star Wars land would be a great start... :thumbsup: Unless it is just the typical, value engineered TDO design: DVC cart, merchandise, over priced restaurant and a meet and greet with a C ticket they try to pass off as an E LOL.. :)

Car’s land was going to be too expensive to build because they were unable to dig down into the Florida ground like they did in DCA. To build it all above ground is what made it too expensive so they shifted to making Star Wars land. I guess the center of it will be Star Tours and it will stretch out to the Indy show and the lake. It sounded as if AI was going to be engulfed also because the big rid going it was going to take up some space. They seem excited about the project which is more than they can say about Avatar.

Melanie
06-06-2013, 10:09 AM
I'm all for a Star Wars land and keeping CarsLand exclusive to California. I like the parks having their own unique things. :thumbsup:

mcjaco
06-06-2013, 10:59 AM
Nope... I believe the door coaster was part of the plan in expanding Pixar Place with a watered down version of Carsland, but that proposal seems to be off the table in favor of Star Wars land... of course, this is Disney, things will change daily... and be cut, reduced, and budgets will explode LOL...

This.

For months a few years back there were meetings about Beastly Kingdom gaining traction again. I heard that from multiple sources.....then, poof. Gone.

A year later, Avatar land was announced. Which I believe will turn into Beastly Kingdom ten years laster, after no one remembers what the heck Avatar even is.

Goofster
06-12-2013, 04:51 PM
This.

A year later, Avatar land was announced. Which I believe will turn into Beastly Kingdom ten years laster, after no one remembers what the heck Avatar even is.

Or Rainforest Land...which is probably what people will call it when it first opens as Avatar is already a distant memory for everyone.

DizneyFreak2002
06-12-2013, 06:50 PM
Car’s land was going to be too expensive to build because they were unable to dig down into the Florida ground like they did in DCA. To build it all above ground is what made it too expensive so they shifted to making Star Wars land. I guess the center of it will be Star Tours and it will stretch out to the Indy show and the lake. It sounded as if AI was going to be engulfed also because the big rid going it was going to take up some space. They seem excited about the project which is more than they can say about Avatar.

Thanks tiki!!! Guess they couldn't value engineer their way out of this one... I'm actually glad Carsland won't be making its way to DHS, at least in the form it is in now at DCA... I'd much rather have Star Wars... They still better WOW me with this... I am a huge Star Wars fan but still won't accept just any garbage...

Septbride2002
06-14-2013, 10:58 AM
Anything else.

Make it a large dole whip stand.

Anything.

I wish I could "like" post. Because this one would be a major :thumbsup:

This was a waste of space for us. I get some people liked it - just wasn't for us.

Hope something cool go is in here.

Dopey's Girl
06-20-2013, 01:34 PM
With the decline of AI's popularity, I'm not at all surprised about this buzz. It's just not 'the' show like it once was. Disney got in on that one way, way too late.

I'd like to see them capitalize on the Star Wars franchise too. They spent all that scratch on it, it's time to make it the money making commodity it should be. Adding a Star Wars Land to DHS, as long as it's done right, could make that a park to spend a whole day in, rather than just hopping into and out of to see a few things.

I also like the idea of not bringing Carsland stuff to FL. By allowing each coast to have unique, individual identities, it increases your profits. If I can see Carsland in FL, why am I going to spend the money to go to CA? By keeping things special to each coast, now I'm planning trips to see each park!

tikiman
06-20-2013, 05:30 PM
I was hoping for Battlestar Galactica land so they would have a place to put the Starbucks and it would not seem out of place. ;)

DizneyFreak2002
06-20-2013, 07:07 PM
With the decline of AI's popularity, I'm not at all surprised about this buzz. It's just not 'the' show like it once was. Disney got in on that one way, way too late.

I'd like to see them capitalize on the Star Wars franchise too. They spent all that scratch on it, it's time to make it the money making commodity it should be. Adding a Star Wars Land to DHS, as long as it's done right, could make that a park to spend a whole day in, rather than just hopping into and out of to see a few things.

I also like the idea of not bringing Carsland stuff to FL. By allowing each coast to have unique, individual identities, it increases your profits. If I can see Carsland in FL, why am I going to spend the money to go to CA? By keeping things special to each coast, now I'm planning trips to see each park!

If Cars Land does come to WDW, it will not be the same Cars Land as in DCA... Would be a completely different version, some call it value engineered... But it would be part fo a Pixar Place expansion, and the ride would not be Radiator Springs Racers, at least not the same version DCA has.. WDW already have that version... It is called Test Track... I can see an indoor dark ride though, themed to Cars as part of "Cars Land"...

DizneyFreak2002
06-20-2013, 07:08 PM
I was hoping for Battlestar Galactica land so they would have a place to put the Starbucks and it would not seem out of place. ;)

As long as we can become Cylons and can destroy each Starbucks on property... :)

We have to be allowed to recruit Starbuck though... She was my favorite character in the new version...

Tekneek
06-20-2013, 10:16 PM
I vote for Buck Rogers. What we really need at Disney World is Erin Gray circa 1980.

Dopey's Girl
06-21-2013, 10:18 AM
If Cars Land does come to WDW, it will not be the same Cars Land as in DCA... Would be a completely different version, some call it value engineered... But it would be part fo a Pixar Place expansion, and the ride would not be Radiator Springs Racers, at least not the same version DCA has.. WDW already have that version... It is called Test Track... I can see an indoor dark ride though, themed to Cars as part of "Cars Land"...

I'd still rather they don't bring it out at all..It's good to have major differences. Keep Cars stuff in CA, let FL have Star Wars. FL has enough value engineered stuff...

tikiman
06-21-2013, 10:53 AM

They value engineered Tower of Terror when they brought it out to DCA. I had people in line for that ride that wanted to hit me just because I said the one in Florida was way better.

DizneyFreak2002
06-21-2013, 03:52 PM
They value engineered Tower of Terror when they brought it out to DCA. I had people in line for that ride that wanted to hit me just because I said the one in Florida was way better.

Is the one in DCA better that DHS?

PirateLover
06-22-2013, 12:49 PM
Is the one in DCA better that DHS?

No. There are some big differences in the ride track. This made for a great first ride, because we had no idea and were so used to the DHS version that we did not expect the drop to occur when it did, which made it legitimately frightening (in a fun way)! However it doesn't have the randomized aspect and overall, it is not as good as the original.

firefan43
06-26-2013, 01:01 PM
I had huge hopes for the Studios when it opened way back, and was really excited that a "Universal Studios" type park was going to be added to WDW. I really only go there for two things now...the Brown Derby and Midway Mania.

Stu29573
06-26-2013, 06:45 PM
DHS is my least favorite park.....and the most unfocused. I really dont think Star Wars Land is gonna change that.

DizneyFreak2002
06-26-2013, 06:53 PM
DHS is my least favorite park.....and the most unfocused. I really dont think Star Wars Land is gonna change that.

A Star Wars land is not meant to get the focus back... The park will not be Hollywood Studios once the remake is complete, so maybe there will be a focus again... A focus on ADVENTURE.. Hey, can't build rides to beat IOA, just take part of their theme park name and add it to yours... LOL...

In all seriousness, DHS has no focus... You are right... Star Wars is meant to help where the park is lagging the most: attendance and merchandise sales... DHS is the worst as far as sales go, and as for attendance, let's just say many in Orlando laughed at the figures TEA put out regarding DHS as they were estimated way too generously...

mcjaco
08-14-2013, 02:31 PM
No. There are some big differences in the ride track. This made for a great first ride, because we had no idea and were so used to the DHS version that we did not expect the drop to occur when it did, which made it legitimately frightening (in a fun way)! However it doesn't have the randomized aspect and overall, it is not as good as the original.

Then there's the exit hall between the elevator doors and the ride car...that makes it really immersive....oy.

DHS' is still the best overall. Theming, ride, all trump the other versions.