PDA

View Full Version : Driving cross country (and update)

Disney4us2
05-31-2013, 01:53 AM
It looks like Jessica (the dog) and I will be on a long road trip from Los Angeles to WDW.

It is just me driving so I plan on only driving for about 4 to 5 hours. With that amount of driving, will I make it in 7 days?

Our first stop is at the Grand Canyon, and then on to visit relatives in Phoenix. That will take up 2 days right there.

Bridges???? I have a phobia with bridges. I know I will have to cross the Mississippi River. Is that a high bridge? (for those who have crossed it). I will be taking the southern route going through Texas and on to the other states after the river.

My sorta update: The packing has well begun. I can't believe how much STUFF I have after 21 years in this house. Most of it is going to the Salvation Army or Goodwill. I have three households of things to go through. My parents things, my grandparents (both sets) and my items. It is enough to make your head spin. Down sizing is really hard.

I plan on getting a 2br apartment on arrival to Orlando. I found one in Winter Haven and they should have openings the begining of Sept.

I am planning to leave around August 11th. This is one move I am not really excited about. It is a whole new life for the 3 of us.

Need to get busy and call the movers for quotes. I know it will cost going cross country. Wish I could find something in my limited budget here in CA. Everything is just so high priced here.

WRWDisney
05-31-2013, 09:09 AM
Good luck with your move.

As for making the drive in 7 days, driving 4-5 hours a day...not sure you can do that. You will have to average 360 miles a day, which means if you drive 5 hours a day you will have to maintain an average speed of 72mph. With traffic, gas, food and rest stops, that is a pretty aggressive average to be able to maintain. I would either allow another day, or plan that you might be spending closer to 6 hours a day in the car.

Here are some pics of the bridge over the Mississippi (https://ssl.panoramio.com/photo/11871852). Compared to the Mackinaw Island Bridge in Michigan, no big deal, but the Mississippi is a big river, so it is fairly large. I am sure you will be ok.

Good luck on the move. With lots of driving and an animal in the car (hot August weather), just pace yourself.

Mickey'sGirl
05-31-2013, 09:16 AM
I just wanted to wish you well, and safe travels Marci! I agree that you will have to up the time in the car to make your target in the time you have allowed.

azcavalier
05-31-2013, 09:32 AM
It looks like Jessica (the dog) and I will be on a long road trip from Los Angeles to WDW.

It is just me driving so I plan on only driving for about 4 to 5 hours. With that amount of driving, will I make it in 7 days?

Our first stop is at the Grand Canyon, and then on to visit relatives in Phoenix. That will take up 2 days right there.

Bridges???? I have a phobia with bridges. I know I will have to cross the Mississippi River. Is that a high bridge? (for those who have crossed it). I will be taking the southern route going through Texas and on to the other states after the river.

My sorta update: The packing has well begun. I can't believe how much STUFF I have after 21 years in this house. Most of it is going to the Salvation Army or Goodwill. I have three households of things to go through. My parents things, my grandparents (both sets) and my items. It is enough to make your head spin. Down sizing is really hard.

I plan on getting a 2br apartment on arrival to Orlando. I found one in Winter Haven and they should have openings the begining of Sept.

I am planning to leave around August 11th. This is one move I am not really excited about. It is a whole new life for the 3 of us.

Need to get busy and call the movers for quotes. I know it will cost going cross country. Wish I could find something in my limited budget here in CA. Everything is just so high priced here.

I've done the cross country thing a time or two. If you drive five hours a day, you should be able to get there in seven days. But if you're stopping in Phoenix and the Grand Canyon, then it might take a day longer.

As for bridges, if you're heading to the Grand Canyon, and then from Phoenix you'll head through Tucson and take I-10 across the country, then there are a few high bridges you'll take:

1. Hoover Dam outside of Vegas. This bridge is really high, but I've heard that it also has high sides, so you can't really see much.

2. San Jacinto River Bridge in Houston. Not sure how high it is, but it's a good sized river. You'll be across in 30 seconds or less though.

3. Old River Lake Bridge. This is just a few miles farther on, and pretty long. Sorry.

4. Lake Charles Bridge, LA. Sorry, but this is a high bridge at the mouth of Lake Charles.

5. As you get into the Gulf Coast, you may run into a few really long, low bridges, such as the one across Lake Bigeaux.

6. Mississippi River, Baton Rouge, LA. Yep. Big bridge. Because the Mississippi is big.

7. Lake Ponchartrain. There are two of these...one as you come in to New Orleans, and a bigger one when you leave. In fact, the second one is at least 5 miles long. And the first one isn't short. I hope this doesn't freak you out, but it's better that you know this going in. This will probably be your worst bridge.

8. In Mississippi, there is another one of those long, bayou bridges that's fairly low. But after Lake Ponchartrain, this is nothing.

9. Mobile, AL. Here you have an actual tunnel under a large river, and then another long bridge over the Mobile Bay. Like, Lake Ponchartrain long. But you've survived the first one, right? So, you can do this. You've got this.

10. Escambia Bay, FL. Hey, not as long as those last few (but still pretty long/high). But you're in Florida! Home of WDW! You'll be too excited to care about the bridge!

That's it! I mean, there will be little bridges in some places, but those are the big ones. But after Escambia Bay, I-10 takes you to I-75, which takes you to FL-91, which drops you into Winter Garden!

I know that change is hard, but enjoy this! You're going to see a lot of beautiful and historic country. Take in the sights! And you get to start fresh in a new place...all of the good people you are about to meet, the new opportunities that await, it's exciting! I have moved five or six times in my life, three times in my married life, and while it's hard to say goodbye to old friends, I have always met wonderful people wherever I've gone and made new, lasting friendships.

clausjo
05-31-2013, 09:45 AM
Hi Marci, while I have no advice regarding driving cross country, I wanted to wish you well. Enjoy the drive and the opportunity to see our beautiful country. Keep us updated on your adventure!

Best of luck to all of you!

dnickels
05-31-2013, 09:53 AM
You might also check the school starting date for the school your daughter will be attending and try to plan around that. For Polk county it looks like there's a student orientation day August 15th and the first day is August 19th. Being a completely new student it might be easier for her to be there in time to get settled prior to those days rather than arriving a few days after school starts. :twocents:

MizMissy
05-31-2013, 09:57 AM
7. Lake Ponchartrain. There are two of these...one as you come in to New Orleans, and a bigger one when you leave. In fact, the second one is at least 5 miles long. And the first one isn't short. I hope this doesn't freak you out, but it's better that you know this going in. This will probably be your worst bridge.

Really good summary. I guess I never thought about crossing rivers/bridges but there are a lot of bridges along I-10 between Houston and Florida.

However, she actually will not travel across Lake Pontchartrain while traveling across the state of Louisiana. That's only if you are going to New Orleans and she will by-pass New Orleans by taking I-12 in Baton Rouge to Slidell (almost to Mississippi) (a straight shot and cuts a couple of hours out of the trip). However, the long Atchafalaya Bridge between Lafayette and Baton Rouge is about the same as any Lake Pontchartrain bridges (long, low, with some high parts). There are also two bridges at the beginning and end of Louisiana (Sabine and Pearl Rivers).

To Marci - good luck on your travels! I'm sure you will handle the traveling fine, just keep the end goal in mind.

AvaNellMouse
05-31-2013, 11:46 AM
Regarding your bridge phobia - I have a work friend that I travel with and she FREAKS OUT when we pass big trucks on the freeway. :paranoid: I suggested that she embrace the fear and "AAAHHHHHH!!!" scream when we went around them. It became a silly game for us - I would remind her to "AAAHHHHHH!!" as I passed the semi's. Not only did it make it less stressful for me, the driver - but it helped her deal with the anxiety she was putting on herself. :thumbsup:

Great good luck to you on your journey! The end will be so worth all of the effort you are making now and on the drive.

cer
05-31-2013, 12:00 PM
Wishing you the very best as you ready yourself and your family for this big adventure!

Mrs Bus Driver
05-31-2013, 12:04 PM
How exciting for you, if you have a laptop or smartphone maybe you could keep us updated on your travels. :mickey:

princessgirls
05-31-2013, 01:52 PM
Marci,

Good Luck to you on this new chapter in your life!

It's scary and exciting all at the same time. I know it will be great, once you get here, and get settled.

I think you may need to up your driving hours a day and try to do 7 or 8. It's going to take you a month to get out to Florida if you only drive 4 hours a day.... YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

Keep us updated!
Julie:mickey:

TheDuckRocks
05-31-2013, 03:26 PM
Hi Marci,
I drove from Anahiem, CA to Waynesboro, PA 11 years ago and wish I could be with you for your trip. I had a ball! BTW I was 60 at the time. The only thing I would have changed was driving less hours per day. I drove 10 to 12 per day. Just too much.
According to AAA website Phoenix to Orlando is 30 hours and 46 minutes. You might want to think one more day could be needed.
Also going across the MIssissippi was not difficult. My impression was "is that all it is???"
Have a safe journey.

DVC2004
05-31-2013, 04:19 PM
I have not driven across the county (just northern IL to the Keys was the longest stretch) but I just waned to give you all my best wishes. Good luck! We'll be thinking of you.

I hate bridges too and the Mississippi - not bad. You will be fine, no worries. I 've crossed that many times and it was pretty OK.

disney obsessed
05-31-2013, 06:37 PM
Sounds like a great adventure. Make the most of it!

As an aside, I am also nervous about driving overbridges. Here we have very long bridges with tunnels under the bay. They have a person at the booth that will drive you. My guess is that after doing it two or three times you'll be fine, but you can always check to see if its an option. It will add a significant amount of time to your travel day.

Keep us posted!

Disney4us2
05-31-2013, 08:18 PM
My thing about the bridges came after the 1971 earthquake here in the valley. We were in the epi-center and had a lot of the freeway bridges/over passes come down... with cars on them and under them. Again we were the epi-center of the 1994 earthquake. More overpasses down.

It was quite a sight a couple of years ago when we went to San Francisco. I had to go over the Bay bridge and Golden Gate several times during the girl scout trip there. Luckily, I was not driving so I could bury my head and not look when crossing. Jessica on the other hand...loved it. She and her troop "bridged" walked across the Golden Gate.

I know I will just have to bear with it and move ahead. Hopefully I won't get a speeding ticket..lol:car:

azcavalier
05-31-2013, 09:43 PM
Sounds like a great adventure. Make the most of it!

As an aside, I am also nervous about driving overbridges. Here we have very long bridges with tunnels under the bay. They have a person at the booth that will drive you. My guess is that after doing it two or three times you'll be fine, but you can always check to see if its an option. It will add a significant amount of time to your travel day.

Keep us posted!

I hate the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Talk about freaking out! I can handle most bridges...even the longer ones in the Gulf area. But a 20 mile bridge that sometimes goes under the water so boats can pass over? I'm uptight the entire drive across.

tinkwest
06-01-2013, 12:56 AM
Sounds exciting Marci. This will be a busy summer for you that's for sure.

No advice for the trip other than try not to rush yourself. Enjoy it!

I'm not crazy about bridges either (same reason as you) but it is tunnels I really hate.

MNNHFLTX
06-01-2013, 08:01 AM
However, she actually will not travel across Lake Pontchartrain while traveling across the state of Louisiana. That's only if you are going to New Orleans and she will by-pass New Orleans by taking I-12 in Baton Rouge to Slidell (almost to Mississippi) (a straight shot and cuts a couple of hours out of the trip). However, the long Atchafalaya Bridge between Lafayette and Baton Rouge is about the same as any Lake Pontchartrain bridges (long, low, with some high parts).
I agree, this is the route to take. The Atchafalaya is indeed long but as it primarily passes over swampy land, hopefully it won't seem that daunting to you.

IMO , 7 days will not be enough time, especially if you are only driving 4-5 hours a day. Heck, it would take more than two days just to drive through Texas! Throw in traffic and construction delays and I think you would need an additional two days (or to increase the number of hours you drive each day).

I wish you the very best as you plan this big move, Marci. What an exciting new beginning for you! :)

BrerGnat
06-01-2013, 07:43 PM
I'm going to agree with everyone and say that I think 8-10 days is more realistic, given the amount of time you intend to drive each day.

DH drove So Cal to Virginia two years ago when we moved and it took him three whole days of driving over 12 hours each day, and barely stopping except for food and gas.

Also, regarding the school situation, you might have a hard time registering Jessica for school until you have a permanent address. Check with the school district to see what the requirements are for enrollment (vaccines, physicals, etc.). When we moved to VA, we needed to provide proof of our address (utility bills, copy of lease, etc. and the district also required in state driver's license as ID, but we were able to use our CA ones since we are military) in order to enroll our kids. In any event, it won't be the end of the world if she misses the first couple weeks of school. It might be more stressful for you all to try and rush over there just to be there in time for start of school. Take your time. The process for enrolling in school these days is ridiculous. Paperwork upon paperwork!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Disney4us2
06-01-2013, 08:01 PM
I agree Natalie... I am willing to have her miss a little bit of school. I home schooled her the last two years. I can always do that until she is in a regular school. I already have the 8th grade lessons.

I would rather leave a little earlier and take my time driving. As long as we are going cross country, it is a good learning experience for Jessica. I would love to take some back roads (like route 66 type). There is so much to see on the way. I still remember when we moved from Chicago to CA. I was 13 at the time, and so it will be for Jessica as well.a

OK... my fellow intercotees.... if you live along I10. What is interesting to see?

Hammer
06-01-2013, 09:29 PM
I agree Natalie... I am willing to have her miss a little bit of school. I home schooled her the last two years. I can always do that until she is in a regular school. I already have the 8th grade lessons.

I would rather leave a little earlier and take my time driving. As long as we are going cross country, it is a good learning experience for Jessica. I would love to take some back roads (like route 66 type). There is so much to see on the way. I still remember when we moved from Chicago to CA. I was 13 at the time, and so it will be for Jessica as well.

I'm going to take the opposite viewpoint and say that I think it would be easier on Jessica if she was in regular school at the start of the school year. This is coming from someone who also had to start at a new school when she was 13 like you did Marci. It's harder to make friends in school once the school year has started and the "groups" are somewhat established for the year. Add to it that I sounded different than the kids in South Jersey (I had a slight southern accent when I moved from Florida) so it was even tougher for me. I have nothing against homeschooling, but in this situation I think it will make the transition to the area and for making friends easier if she was around many kids throughout her day.

Just my :twocents: and you will obviously do what is best for Jessica. Good luck with the drive!

joonyer
06-02-2013, 09:30 AM
The shortest route from LA to Orlando including a visit to the Grand Canyon, and then down through Phoenix, totals just over 2,900 miles.

2905 miles in 7 days means 415 miles per day.
IF you average 60 mph, this will take 6.9 hours of driving per day. That's your average speed, which means that to make up for fuel stops, potty breaks, and food stops (going 0 mph), you will have to be rolling about 75 mph all the time while you are on the road. Never mind travel jams and construction delays. It's very difficult to average 60 mph on long trips unless you are rolling 10-12 hours per day, with light traffic and very short stops.

If you are driving just 5 hours per day, and IF you can average 60 miles per hour, that's 300 miles per day. In 7 days (2100 miles), that's going to leave you 800 miles short of Orlando. (even more if you only drive 4 hours per day). That's TWO MORE 400 mile days to get there. Simply stated, you can't get there in 7 five-hour driving days, unless you drive 90-100 mph while on the road.

You need to plan on a longer trip, or to increase you driving time if you only have 7 days to get there. It would take at least 7 driving hours per day, and probably 8 to make it in 7 days, under the best travel conditions. With your intended pace, I'd give myself 10 days for the trip, which would give you plenty of extra time for sight-seeing along the way. I agree, make it an adventure!