PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Day at Disney World

Piglet27
05-26-2013, 07:22 PM
We are thinking of going to Disney for Christmas. Does Disney do something special on Christmas Day at the parks? Or is it just another magical day in the world? :mickey:

MickeysBestPal
05-27-2013, 06:55 AM
We are thinking of going to Disney for Christmas.

1- Does Disney do something special on Christmas Day at the parks?

2- Or is it just another magical day in the world? :mickey:

1- Nothing other than the things that happen the rest of that week:
MK-Christmas Parade(s) in the afternoon. Christmas Wishes fireworks, etc.
DAK-Jingle Jungle Parade,
DHS-Osborne Lights, etc.
Epcot- IllumiNations Christmas Finale, Santa Claus' around the World, etc.

2- A day that can see up to 2-3 of the parks so full of guests that they must close the gates to further admissions for an extended time that day (that week, too.)
Same goes for the parking lots.
It's a busy week.

DizneyRox
05-27-2013, 07:29 AM
The day is much like any other during the holiday season. But the crowds as mentioned are insane.

The vibe around the house holidays is great. It was one of my favorite timbres the year to visit. The Halloween party was always my favorite, but it's just the party, the Xmas holiday is festive throughout the whole resort. Since the cutbacks, it's not as decorative, etc, not like they don't decorate, but it's noticeable to some of us. I wouldn't bother with the Xmas party anymore, it's not worth the cash anymore, especially if you're going to be the week of.

MickeysBestPal
05-27-2013, 07:48 AM
I wouldn't bother with the Xmas party anymore, it's not worth the cash anymore, especially if you're going to be the week of.

Just to bring that into sharper focus, the last MVMCP will be (in 2013) Friday, Dec. 20.

After that date, the "special things" that are normally party-exclusives, like the Christmas Parade and Christmas Wishes, etc., will move to regular days at MK.
The crowds are so heavy near Christmas (either side of the date) that they don't want to close MK early enough to offer the parties.

Piglet27
05-27-2013, 11:15 AM
Thanks everyone! If you had your choice would you go to the World for Thanksgiving or Christmas?:mickey:

LudwigVonDrake
05-27-2013, 11:32 AM
If given that choice I'd go during Thanksgiving. If really given the choice I wouldn't go either time :D

buzznwoodysmom
05-27-2013, 01:50 PM
We were in Disney for Christmas in 2011. We did Animal Kingdom that day and it wasn't bad at all. The park was packed with people, but what they were all doing....I have no idea. The lines weren't bad at all, just lots of people to move through. I don't recall all that we did, but I specifically remember being surprised that we were able to ride Everest several times with the wait time never exceeding 20 minutes!

If I had to pick between Christmas and Thanksgiving I think I would go with Thanksgiving. I've been for Thanksgiving twice and it was great. The crowds are more manageable, and you get the same feeling of the holiday. And actually, if you are interested in purchasing any Christmas items you'll have far better luck Thanksgiving week. By Christmas week pretty much everything was gone. I couldn't find a Christmas coffee mug, or Christmas t-shirts for my kids to save my life. There were several other things I had seen online that we couldn't find in the parks.

DisneyEpcotDad
05-31-2013, 08:43 AM
I did Christmas Day at Magic Kingdom in 2005 or 2006. Crowds were large even though it was raining. If you want a less crowded experience, go in early December!