PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

disneymomma2010
05-23-2013, 11:25 PM
I have always had the mind set that I want to experience as many of the resorts that I can. But for the last three years we have had to stay at POR because we brought our MIL with us (making us 5).

This year I told my SIL that she needed to take her so we can stay at a different moderate. I really wanted to stay at CBR because I think my boys would love the pool, but I've been waiting for a refurb because A. I do not want to be stuffed in a full size bed and B. I do not like the room decor at all and it seems dated.

So I was thinking about staying at the CSR but DH says he really doesn't like the mexican theme but he will stay there if I want to. He has fallen in love with POR. He loves the country feel and the music and he feels relaxed there.

Well, my SIL refuses to stay at POR because she hates it and wants to stay at her favorite, POP. She wants her mom to just stay there with her even though they will be a party of 5. Her smallest is 6 years old. Her travel agent told her people do it all the time. :secret: I think it's wrong and so does my MIL. It really makes her feel uncomfortable, and me too really. She is really hoping that I change my mind and book POR.

I love POR, I just always wanted to try something new. But I have researched and researched and I don't know if I would like another moderate better. I'm torn because although I would like to try something new, I also like the thought of the known. I know everything about POR so I'm comfortable there. Plus on our check in night we will be eating at DTD so the boat ride would be nice.

The number one reason why I did not want my MIL to stay with us this year is because she gets up like 6 times a night and I am a light sleeper and she wakes me up everytime.

I just can't make up my mind!:confused:

stephicakes
05-24-2013, 06:32 AM
Have you considered a split stay? You could do the first half of your trip at POR and then the second half at CSR. That way, you have the familiarity of the resort you love with access to DTD for dinner, but then you can be adventurous and also try something new! I think variety is the spice of life! You never know - your DH may love CSR :D

It sounds like you have been more than generous having your MIL stay with you all the trips in the past. Don't feel guilty about wanting some time to yourselves too.

Good luck deciding :)

catasaid
05-24-2013, 07:16 AM
Perhaps your SIL can book 2 connecting room at POP...then MIL can have her own room but still stay with them. Two rooms at the value resorts don't cost much more than one room at a Moderate and then there are 2 bathrooms available and more privacy too. That would free you up to try a different resort. I liked CSR but it is a very large resort, so I prefer PO French Quarter...my favorite resort! POP is a fun resort...we stay there when we take the grandkids...they love it.

caryrae
05-24-2013, 08:48 AM
We did a split stay at CSR and POFQ. We loved POFQ a lot, it is small so you are close to everything and you still have the boat ride to DTD and there is a walkway along the river to POR. CSR was nice, big but nice. It didn't seem Mexican to us at all

disneymomma2010
05-24-2013, 09:35 AM
We will only be staying 5 nights so I feel tthat a split stay will be too hectic. I would never ever get dh to agree to it.

I don't think I would ever stay at POFQ again because the food court freaks me out!

disneymomma2010
05-24-2013, 09:42 AM
SIL priced two rooms at POP and is not willing to pay the extra cost. She said it was about $1000 more. We never charge MIL extra for the room because we would be paying that price for a mod anyway and she couldn't afford to pay.

Mrs Bus Driver
05-24-2013, 10:01 AM
While planning my vacation for 3 of us, DD BF and me. One of the things I have been dealing with is they want their own room. One option I have looked into is the Cabins at FW. Not sure when you are going but it is not much more then a mod and free dinning discount makes it very affordable. MIL could sleep on the Murphy bed in the front room the bathroom is in hallway not the bedroom. There are lots of things for the kids to do at the resort. Also you would have a full kitchen and a grill. Best of all its a different resort and you would have more room. Hope this helps :mickey:

PlutoLover
05-24-2013, 10:26 AM
not to be a grinch but I would be all set with the vacation time after time. your SIL sounds like a "princess" who always gets what she wants and her trip is perfect and she isn't willing to budge for anyone. And it's nice that your MIL goes along but it would be nicer if she paid her own way and took care of herself. It is not up to you to take care of and accommodate all the in-laws and their needs at the cost of you own happiness, wants & needs (and $). This is YOUR vacation too!! (and you need good sleep)

For the sake of this vacation I would just go along and do the same ol' same ol' but I would be making it known that this is the LAST time you are doing this. Next time you want to try something new and either your SIL steps up to the plate and helps out with your MIL and is flexible with her side of the trip or you are taking the trip without all of them. This also gives your hubby time to get used to the idea of a different resort (Istayed at CSR once years ago and I loved it, I didn't think it felt over the top Mexican) I know it sounds mean and fresh but this is how they are treating you too and don't seem to mind so it's time for you to stand up for yourself, it's your $ and vacation too! And they will continue to do this (mostly your SIL) if you don't stand your ground.

:soapbox: :mickey:

cajundisneyfreak
05-24-2013, 11:41 AM
Have you considered staying at AOA in a suite? It sleeps 6.You have a seperate bedroom with a queen bed and a bathroom.They also have a murphy bed and a sleeper sofa with a bathroom.Your boys would love the theming.Also you would be across the lake from your SIL who is staying at POP. They also have family suites at All-Star Music and they are cheaper. :mickey:

disneymomma2010
05-24-2013, 12:48 PM
While planning my vacation for 3 of us, DD BF and me. One of the things I have been dealing with is they want their own room. One option I have looked into is the Cabins at FW. Not sure when you are going but it is not much more then a mod and free dinning discount makes it very affordable. MIL could sleep on the Murphy bed in the front room the bathroom is in hallway not the bedroom. There are lots of things for the kids to do at the resort. Also you would have a full kitchen and a grill. Best of all its a different resort and you would have more room. Hope this helps :mickey:

That is a good idea but we are from the country so the cabins do not appeal to us at all. It seems too much like any vacation that we can take here.

#1donaldfan
05-24-2013, 12:50 PM
Have you considered staying at AOA in a suite? It sleeps 6.You have a seperate bedroom with a queen bed and a bathroom.They also have a murphy bed and a sleeper sofa with a bathroom.Your boys would love the theming.Also you would be across the lake from your SIL who is staying at POP. They also have family suites at All-Star Music and they are cheaper. :mickey:

I never thought of this !! GREAT idea !! :mickey:

disneymomma2010
05-24-2013, 12:52 PM
not to be a grinch but I would be all set with the vacation time after time. your SIL sounds like a "princess" who always gets what she wants and her trip is perfect and she isn't willing to budge for anyone. And it's nice that your MIL goes along but it would be nicer if she paid her own way and took care of herself. It is not up to you to take care of and accommodate all the in-laws and their needs at the cost of you own happiness, wants & needs (and $). This is YOUR vacation too!! (and you need good sleep)

For the sake of this vacation I would just go along and do the same ol' same ol' but I would be making it known that this is the LAST time you are doing this. Next time you want to try something new and either your SIL steps up to the plate and helps out with your MIL and is flexible with her side of the trip or you are taking the trip without all of them. This also gives your hubby time to get used to the idea of a different resort (Istayed at CSR once years ago and I loved it, I didn't think it felt over the top Mexican) I know it sounds mean and fresh but this is how they are treating you too and don't seem to mind so it's time for you to stand up for yourself, it's your $ and vacation too! And they will continue to do this (mostly your SIL) if you don't stand your ground.

I know I know! I keep telling myself and my husband too. That's one thing about going as a group every year. I always have to compromise. I would love to go on a trip just the 4 of us and do it all my way. I'm dreaming for that day. The rest of the family just can not comprehend a seperate vacation, including my DH because it's his family.

I'm just too nice of a person I guess. But honesly I like POR too, so much so that I'm considering it. Maybe if I do go with POR I can drug my MIL and I with tylonal PM every night lol.

disneymomma2010
05-24-2013, 12:54 PM

Yes I would like to stay there, but it would cost as much as staying at my dream resort, AKL! If I could afford it I would be staying there! We really can't afford the option of a family suite this year. That's why my options are so limited.

#1donaldfan
05-24-2013, 01:23 PM
I like the tylenol idea !!! :blush: :cool: I would not be able to stand that, year after year.

I know what you mean by POR being so darn nice. The first time we ever went to Disney we stayed there and have gone back to it so many times thereafter. We have gone several times and not stayed there, and every time, we go over to "visit" and we all say how much we miss it, even when we go to AKL, which is INCREDIBLE !!!

:mickey:

PlutoLover
05-24-2013, 01:53 PM
Maybe if I do go with POR I can drug my MIL and I with tylonal PM every night lol.

:rotfl:

that sounds like a good plan!

gerald72
05-24-2013, 04:09 PM
SIL priced two rooms at POP and is not willing to pay the extra cost. She said it was about $1000 more. We never charge MIL extra for the room because we would be paying that price for a mod anyway and she couldn't afford to pay.

It doesn't sound like you would "be paying that price" anyway. I'd have MIL pay the difference or not go, like anyone else. It's creating an inconvenience for you.

minnie04
05-24-2013, 04:39 PM
If you do decide to stay where you want and your SIL stays where she wants, then just have your MIL split the days with each of you. I know people are saying to have your MIL "pay her way", but I would not and could not ask my MIL (or my mother) to pay for anything she does with us. I don't know about yours, but mine does so much for our family. I could NEVER ask her anything like that. I only wish I could do more for her.

Hopefully your MIL won’t get wind of this and feel bad about going.. that would hurt :(

THIS is one of the reasons we end up booking off property. Great resorts with 3 bedrooms to accommodate everyone’s needs :mickey:

disneymomma2010
05-24-2013, 06:26 PM
I'm watching princess and the frog with my kids right now. Not helping! It makes me miss POR! :crazy: I'm starting to see why others stay at the same resort year after year. Maybe.....I might....stay there again this year and find to to visit cbr and csr to see what its like. If I do I definitely need to bring some sleeping pills:plot:

JoDisney
05-24-2013, 10:44 PM
We have never liked Coronado Springs. We cannot stand the food court. We have been there 3 times. (It was what was available last minute.) We love Riverside! Best moderate in my opinion. Caribbean Beach is nice except for the full beds and the absent of a boat to DTD. Riverside cannot be beat in moderate category.

Eric87
05-26-2013, 10:03 AM

I am in agreement with the above post, but I also think your husband needs to step up here. Sounds like you have stayed at his favorite resort plenty of times and now it's your turn. He needs to understand the awkwardness of the pickle you're in. He either needs to tell his Mother you're changing resorts or tell his sister she needs to take some responsibility. I've planned a few multi family trips and have been in similar situations about "hurting" a family member's feelings, and they'll get over it, or it's not as big of a deal as you thought.

Mrs Bus Driver
05-26-2013, 10:17 AM

I am in agreement with the above post, but I also think your husband needs to step up here. Sounds like you have stayed at his favorite resort plenty of times and now it's your turn. He needs to understand the awkwardness of the pickle you're in. He either needs to tell his Mother you're changing resorts or tell his sister she needs to take some responsibility. I've planned a few multi family trips and have been in similar situations about "hurting" a family member's feelings, and they'll get over it, or it's not as big of a deal as you thought.
05-24-2013 08:44 PM
I agree, don't be a doormat or they'll keep on walking all over you.

disneymom2000
05-26-2013, 05:41 PM
Wow - doesn't sound like you are enjoying this situation at all. Vacation shouldn't be like that. Hope everything works out.:magic:

disneymomma2010
05-27-2013, 12:18 AM
Ok guys, I thought long and hard and I'm booking the Coronado! I might love it and I might hate it but I will never know until I try. I'm tired of wondering. It's my vacation and I need to stay where I want to. :mickey:

I just hope that SIL ends up changing her mind so they will be legit and MIL won't be uncomfortable.

Thanks for listening and all of the advice! I hope it all turns out well!

PlutoLover
05-27-2013, 12:23 AM
Good for you :thumbsup: way to stand your ground and have a vacation with good sleep :sleepin: