PDA

View Full Version : Why does Disney site say jacket for dinner on a 4 night cruise?

janebanks
05-23-2013, 05:12 PM
A coworker is leaving for a 4 night cruise on the Dream this weekend. He and his party are freaking out over the Disney website suggesting men and women dress up one of those nights -- a so-called formal night. I didn't experience anyone dressing this way for dinner at any time on a 4 night cruise. I told him the only requirement I knew of was a jacket for Remy's (and Palo, too?) Can anyone clarify this issue for us quickly?

Thanks in advance!

Celakip
05-23-2013, 05:59 PM
We've been on 3 cruises and I have never worn a jacket or coat and tie. There are some folks who do, but not everyone. Being from Texas, I usually just wear a nice pair of unfaded blue jeans and a nice shirt.:mickey:

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
05-24-2013, 03:26 AM
A dress shirt and slacks are fine. You are eating at a fine restaurant, jeans are really not appropriate.

BrerGnat
05-24-2013, 08:39 AM
It's a suggestion, as the theme that night is "Formal Night".

There WILL be people onboard in tuxedos and evening gowns. Some people like to go all out.

It's totally OPTIONAL though. In lieu of dressing formal, guests are welcome to dine in clothes that meet the dining room dress code every night of the cruise. (No jeans, cutoff shorts, tank tops, or swim attire, no flip flops)

We didn't go to the dining room on Formal Night. We were not in the mood to dress up and didn't want to feel out of place. We ate dinner elsewhere that night.

Jackets are only required at Remy, from what I recall.

DizneyRox
05-24-2013, 01:13 PM
From a recent communication from Disney regarding a 4 night cruise aboard the Dream...

Formal Attire: Your voyage does not include any formal evenings. However, if you'll be dining in one of our adults-only restaurants, we recommend a dress or pantsuit for women and a jacket and tie for men. You may also want to consider a tux, which is available for rental during your cruise.

Disney doesn't really enforce a dress code in the main dining rooms. This is NOT true for some of the other cruise lines, but Disney does not.

MarkC
05-29-2013, 09:52 AM
We cruised on the Disney Magic last spring, and on formal night we wore jackets and sport shirts (no ties). One of the guys in the group forgot to bring a sportcoat and just wore a sport shirt and slacks and no one said anything to him. For semi-formal night it was a polo shirt and slacks. We didn't see any tuxes and I don't think even a lot of nice suits.

We are leaving on the Disney Magic out of Barcelona in 3 days (yay us) and I called since Europe might be a little more formal. What they told me was they prefer slacks for dinner but they won't turn anyone away wearing shorts. In other words, Disney wants people to enjoy their vacation and return. I'm bringing a sportcoat for formal night but I told my boys (23 and 21) just to bring slacks and a dress shirt. We'll be fine.

GoldenDreams
06-09-2013, 11:18 PM
You definitely don't need to dress up. We got back from port later than expeted and didn't have time to go up to our room before dinner so we went in shorts on formal night. No one said a word. I was embarrassed and apologized, but the waiter said I was on vacation and not to worry about it. They much prefer you to be on time for dinner. The tablecloths hide what youwearing too. I wouldn't recommend going in shorts, but I we don't bother packing heels and suits anymore.