PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for Disney to offer "quiet" rooms?

Aurora
05-23-2013, 10:01 AM
Reading through the "Never, ever again!" thread, I wondered whether Disney has ever considered offering "quiet" rooms to guests who want to avoid children at the resorts.

Most of the complaints seem to revolve around children or teens running around, screaming, crying or making other noise. It would seem to me they could offer these rooms to adults at a premium and people would pay it.

There are adults-only areas on cruise ships -- why not accommodations?

What do you think? Would you like the option of a "quiet" room and would you pay extra for it?

Ms. Mode
05-23-2013, 10:32 AM
You know, except for a few times when people have been going into their rooms late at night I don't remember a time when we were bothered by noise at WDW. :blush:

Itchy
05-23-2013, 10:50 AM
I really don't know how to vote with the selections offered.

When at WDW resorts you are always going to have kids running shouting, crying, laughing, and in general just having fun.

I have had situations where adults have stood outside our door laughing and talking loudly at about midnight. I had to get up and ask that they please quiet down, they left as they were not anywhere near their rooms.

I know it can be bothersome but it can be short lived and you can go back to sleep.

Don't worry be happy...:mickey:

Mrs Bus Driver
05-23-2013, 11:07 AM
I really don't see how you could enforce people staying in the quite area to be quite. And how can you stop people from staying in the quite rooms? Are you going to tell a couple with a baby they can't rent those rooms? Maybe they don't want anyone disturbing the baby in the middle of the night. How about families in general we all know how those teenagers can be. Or are these rooms going to have so much insulation in the walls that you can't hear any outside noise, like a fire alarm? I voted for staying away from the pool area. When I go to Disney I expect some noise. Usually its those darn kids/teenagers/adults who go running by my room at 6am, who just can't contain their excitement.:trio: I have taken to wearing ear plugs, using white noise, and occasionally getting up and joining in the excitement :mickey:
BTW last 2 times I stayed at CBR I had a courtyard view, it was lovely and very quite. I would get up early and take my phone, go sit on a bench for a while and make my calls. Then go for a walk around the resort and enjoy the scenery. I tend to get up early while others sleep in, so I know all about enjoying the quite. It is really peaceful at 6am in the courtyard :mickey:

BrerGnat
05-23-2013, 11:10 AM
Some hotels DO offer quiet rooms. We are staying at the Hyatt in MCO for one night this August and I was surprised to see a room option that is basically a "quiet room." The description indicates these rooms have enhanced soundproofing features so you can get work done or rest well with limited disturbance from noises. They cost $20 more than standard rooms.

I would welcome something similar at Disney Resorts. Adult Only areas would not necessarily be any more quiet. It's often rowdy adults that cause noise problems at hotels in my experience.

Figment104
05-23-2013, 12:02 PM
The only thing I ever really notice is when the door sort of slams shut behind someone (and I know I'm really guilty of it too at times). Wish there was a quieter way to shut the room door.

barnaby
05-23-2013, 12:18 PM
I voted yes and would pay for it, just because I don't think it would be a bad option.
However, I haven't had any issues with the "normal" noise at resorts so probably wouldn't use the option at this time.

Dopey's Girl
05-23-2013, 01:36 PM
I would totally pay extra for a quiet room. However, not because of any kid noise we have ever encountered, but because of adults who have a few too many :beer: and think that gives them the right to disrupt everyone elses enjoyment of the resort!

ransam
05-23-2013, 01:40 PM
i hate to come off sounding like a jerk. But you're at Disneyworld. It's an amusmemt park. i expect noise. I want noise. I want kids running around, and going swimming late at night, and coming in at all hours.
I know it can get out of hand, but i guess in all my visits, i have just learned to go w/ it.

ANG
05-23-2013, 01:57 PM
I have no choice haha. My kids are young and will make noise.

Having an ASD child, I have a lot of noise tolerance.

However, I find a huge difference between irresponsible parents and a bratty child vs. a sick child, special needs child, or even just too young to console.

We vacationed to a time share in Williamsburg last year and our then 1 year old son got sick. He woke up crying multiple times a night and I tried everything I could to console him. He was just in pain. People called about us, complaining about the sound of footsteps because the only way he would rest is if I held him and paced the floor. I felt badly for our neighbors but some things you cannot control.

vicster
05-23-2013, 02:16 PM
My kids are grown and no longer go to WDW with us, however, I still enjoy the young ones enjoying themselves there. Yes, we have been woken up early with noise in the hallways because people do go to the parks earlier than we do but deal with it. If you expect to not hear children being noisy you're vacationing in the wrong place.

ginny57
05-23-2013, 02:35 PM
I have no choice haha. My kids are young and will make noise.

Having an ASD child, I have a lot of noise tolerance.

However, I find a huge difference between irresponsible parents and a bratty child vs. a sick child, special needs child, or even just too young to console.

We vacationed to a time share in Williamsburg last year and our then 1 year old son got sick. He woke up crying multiple times a night and I tried everything I could to console him. He was just in pain. People called about us, complaining about the sound of footsteps because the only way he would rest is if I held him and paced the floor. I felt badly for our neighbors but some things you cannot control.

I agree! I understand children being noisy - it is what they do - especially in Disney where excitement levels run so high. Parents who do nothing to control children who are acting up is another story.

I guess they COULD provide adults only sections in some of the resorts (at a price for sure) but even that won't help when the grown ups are clueless.

Kenny1113
05-23-2013, 05:24 PM
I agree with others...how would this be guaranteed. What I expect from "quiet" may be different than the next persons "quiet". In other words how quiet. (Including wildlife, mouse keeping carts etc?)

For me the only truly bothersome noise is the slamming of the doors and the flushing of the toilets. (But that's also mild as well, either that or Im just used to it...or more willing to put up with it. ;) )

1DisneyNut
05-23-2013, 06:31 PM
The only resorts I have ever considered noisy were the value resorts we stayed in a couple of times. In particular All star Movies and Music. The way the buildings are built, voices echo off of them and the place is full of families with noisy kids and teens. I despise the value resorts and haven't stayed in them in over 10 years and never will again so it is a non-issue.

I don't remember ever having noise bother us at any of the Deluxe resorts but of course we usually don't get back to the room until late, often after midnight; and we leave by 9:00 AM in the morning.

faline
05-23-2013, 06:57 PM
As I think back to the times when I've been bothered by noise, more often than not, the issue has been with adults rather than children. I remember the couple in the next room at the Poly who came home very late into the evening and promptly got into an argument loud enough and long enough that we needed to call security to end the noise. There was the family on the other side of the connecting door that found the game of open and slam their side of the connecting door to be a wonderful game. Of course, there were adults present there as well who couldn't figure out that those in the room next door might not enjoy this game as much. There were the grandparents in the room next to us at the Contemporary who seemed to think the kids were only having a wonderful time if they were literally bouncing off the walls, on the beds and screaming their joy at the top of their lungs without considering that others in the hotel might not enjoy the volume of their exuberance.

There has been the occasional crying baby but that's what babies do so I don't hold that against anyone. There is the occasional child who screams donw the hallway despite the parents best efforts to tone down the excitement - again, that's what kids do.

jennsky
05-23-2013, 07:16 PM
The only time I've had a "noise" problem was our final night at Pop Century one trip. Some irresponsible person pulled the fire alarm in our building. Oh my gosh those things are deafening! The alarms obviously do their job because there is no way on Earth you can stay in your room when that thing is going off. Anyways, quiet room or not, if the fire alarm was going off, you'd be disturbed. Besides that, I guess I have just been lucky and not been near noisy guests.

TheVBs
05-24-2013, 07:23 AM
I don't think Disney will ever offer something like this due to the enforcement issues people have mentioned above. I completely agree with the person who said that if you're expecting not to hear noisy children (and adults for that matter) then you've picked the wrong vacation spot. ;) Not saying there aren't times when management needs to be called. Some people do create noise by behaving irresponsibly. But, I think that's the minority. Most noise is kids being kids or the whole family just enjoying their vacation.

c&d
05-24-2013, 08:27 AM
I look at it as I'm in Disney and there will be noise. I've never minded the noise of the excitement of the children being there. That goes with the territory. What I do mind are the rowdy adults late at night after a few too many :marg::beer::wine:

Tekneek
05-24-2013, 09:42 AM
The only hope for "quiet rooms" would be for Disney to build some soundproof rooms/doors/corridors. I had a very non-Disney thought and considered the possibility of an adults-only resort, but no doubt that might bring about an entirely different level of noise annoyance.

I propose that those who have problems with the noises produced by families, from infants to teenagers, might be better served vacationing somewhere other than Walt Disney World. There are plenty of quiet vacation locales, some in which you might not see other human beings at all. It is all part of the deal, to me, and I shouldn't be entirely surprised to find it at WDW. Hell-raising by a bunch of adults is not what I would expect at WDW.

Aurora
05-24-2013, 10:27 AM
It's interesting that most of the comments so far are about not minding noise, or expecting it, or liking it, but most of the poll answers at this point show more people wanting the option than not. ;)

Melanie
05-24-2013, 10:37 AM
It's interesting that most of the comments so far are about not minding noise, or expecting it, or liking it, but most of the poll answers at this point show more people wanting the option than not. ;)

I wouldn't mind a quiet area in some resorts. There, I said it! :D

barnaby
05-24-2013, 12:45 PM
The only hope for "quiet rooms" would be for Disney to build some soundproof rooms/doors/corridors. I had a very non-Disney thought and considered the possibility of an adults-only resort, but no doubt that might bring about an entirely different level of noise annoyance.

Could give new meaning to Pleasure Island if they reopened it ;)

Count me as one of those giving a wobbly answer. :D
Going to a place like WDW, I expect the noise and actually look forward to it. But it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a quiet room option. Especially since WDW does target adults only trips.

#1donaldfan
05-24-2013, 01:13 PM
I'm with Ransom, and know that it's Disney, there will be kids.....I'm 45 and I'm a kid !! I'm running to the pool at midnight with my kids and although we're not loud or obnoxious, we are out, we will talk, our door may shut too loudly, but it's a second or two and the noise goes away. We're not going to be standing outside your door, screaming, cutting up and causing you ill feelings !! I have been going to Disney for a long time, with the kids, and I cannot remember one time, even at a Value where we were repeatedly disturbed by noisy neighbors .... do I hear people walk by, yes, do I hear their door shut, or a flush of the toilet, yes, at times, but it's not such as it has me running to the manager.......so, no for me, I will pay extra for a Savannah View room, but never extra to have a room that is deemed a quiet room....because, inevitably, someone will make a sound that I can hear, at which point gives me a free card to complain to management about it, which I don't want to do.....I want to have fun, spend money I don't have and eat crazy for a week or so......Don't we just all love Disney !!! :cool:

tinkwest
05-24-2013, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by Aurora
It's interesting that most of the comments so far are about not minding noise, or expecting it, or liking it, but most of the poll answers at this point show more people wanting the option than not

Poll answers vs comment answers may vary when some cannot find a poll answer they like so decide to comment only. Some may find a poll choice they like and not have time to comment.

As idyllic as a "quiet" room may sound it just couldn't be monitored effectively, IMO. It could be an adult area but that would not guarantee "quiet". My kids at elementary school age were more quiet and considerate than some adults I know. And where would the adult cut off be? During college I was considered an adult but my friends and I were by no means "quiet". Once again, I can't imagine how this could be governed to everyone's satisfaction.

Tekneek
05-24-2013, 04:37 PM
\It could be an adult area but that would not guarantee "quiet".

Indeed. I would expect an 18+ hotel would just turn into party central. Younger adults, maybe 18-25, would likely feel less inhibited when there was no chance little ones might be around. Disney can't get into the game of guaranteeing quiet without spending on the infrastructure (soundproofing) and other restrictions on who can have access to that area.

mrte62
05-25-2013, 07:14 AM
Count us in as looking for a quiet area ... but that leads into a whole separate discussion.

DW and have four children and the youngest is now 20. So of course, our needs and wants have changed drastically. What we can afford and the number of people we have to pay for have changed as well.

DW and I have spent a week the last two years at the Food & Wine Festival - truly Disney for Adults. We really do enjoy seeing little ones enjoying themselves and understanding about meltdowns, teen angst and bad days. We get it - it is WDW.

But to have a quiet place to sleep and relax now is more of a priority - older gives a new perspective. :mickey:

Katzateer
05-25-2013, 07:41 AM
Would be great to have quiet rooms but I don't think it could be enforced. On Amtrak there is always someone that sits in the quiet car that is on their cell phone or talking the entire trip while others try to sleep. Some people would just ignore the quiet part of the resorts and unless an employee is enforcing it......wouldn't work.

Most of the time I have had luck getting a fairly quiet room by asking for top floor away from elevator at values.

divinedi
05-25-2013, 08:32 PM
I think most of people's complaints stem more from inconsiderate people rather than regular noise. We stayed at ASSports in December, and the only complaint I had was the neighbours, who yes did have children, would leave the bar lock in the door opening so that they didn't have to use their key each time. I have done that admittedly, sometimes, but was careful to hold the door so it didn't bang against the door jam. Unfortunately they would go in and out of the room, and allow the door to slam against the door jam, over and over and over, it was very noisy and jarring in our room, at all hours.

GrmGrninGost
05-25-2013, 11:33 PM
We really haven't had much trouble with noise. Usually so tired it doesn't even register!

MNNHFLTX
05-26-2013, 01:26 AM
I wouldn't mind a quiet area in some resorts. There, I said it! :D

Me too. Not that I don't understand that children make noise and that it's exciting for them to be at Disney World--that's to be expected. But at the end of the day (or early in the morning) I really just want peace and quiet. Requesting a room away from the activity is a good start, but if Disney could add extra soundproofing features, that would be even better.

Someone mentioned that adults often make more noise than the kids. This has not been our experience at WDW, although I'm sure it is possible.

It's a tough call. I run into the same situation on airplanes. I totally understand that travel is stressful on children, especially infants and toddlers whose routines have been altered. But having been on several overseas flights with children crying non-stop, it becomes very difficult to tolerate. What makes it so hard is that it is so ingrained into our makeup as parents to do something when we hear a baby/child crying. Of course, as it is not our child, there is nothing we can do. And I do feel badly for the parents having to try and comfort their child.

Carol
05-26-2013, 07:30 AM
Hmmmm. I don't find all adults "quiet" while at Disney. I know I travel quite often with friends and we can be very silly and loud.

I'm thinking areas with children might be quieter at times. :party:

Melanie
05-26-2013, 08:13 AM
Hmmmm. I don't find all adults "quiet" while at Disney. I know I travel quite often with friends and we can be very silly and loud.

Hey, I resemble that remark! :blush::beer:

brownie
05-26-2013, 10:29 AM
Hey, I resemble that remark! :blush::beer:

It's a good thing you ladies let us know where you're staying so the rest of us can pick a different resort. :D

Melanie
05-26-2013, 11:20 AM
It's a good thing you ladies let us know where you're staying so the rest of us can pick a different resort. :D

You got it, Steve! :secret:

LudwigVonDrake
05-26-2013, 09:47 PM
For the most part the only noise that I've heard coming from other rooms is the flushing of toilets. Disney's toilets are the loudest I've ever heard! :D

Aurora
05-27-2013, 10:42 AM
For the most part the only noise that I've heard coming from other rooms is the flushing of toilets. Disney's toilets are the loudest I've ever heard! :D

Haha -- I know what you're saying. This might be weird, but I actually don't mind when I start to hear that sound in the early morning. It tells me other people are starting their day, and it's time for us to get up and get going!

Tekneek
05-27-2013, 11:35 AM

I think I remember them having those tankless toilets, at least in the values, and those things are loud because of the way they work. Most commonly seen in industrial applications where sound is not an important aesthetic.

EJS-Houston
05-31-2013, 03:10 PM
Reading through the "Never, ever again!" thread, I wondered whether Disney has ever considered offering "quiet" rooms to guests who want to avoid children at the resorts.

Most of the complaints seem to revolve around children or teens running around, screaming, crying or making other noise. It would seem to me they could offer these rooms to adults at a premium and people would pay it.

There are adults-only areas on cruise ships -- why not accommodations?

What do you think? Would you like the option of a "quiet" room and would you pay extra for it?

I think they already do offer "quiet" rooms. You just ask for a room on the other side of the hotel building away from the pool. I've been doing that for quite some time now, and have never had any problem with noise...and the rooms that aren't pool-adjacent are generally considered "standard" rooms, so not only can you request them, you actually pay less for them.

MNNHFLTX
05-31-2013, 04:02 PM
Then I would want a "quiet" room away from me too! :silly:

mom2morgan
05-31-2013, 10:07 PM
Children aren't the problem - it is the adults and teenagers! We like to go to bed early and hit the parks early, so it is the rowdy, loud and sometimes drunken adults that make me nuts shouting and running back and forth outside the room after 10:00 at night.

SandmanGStefani24
06-01-2013, 01:02 PM
Some hotels DO offer quiet rooms. We are staying at the Hyatt in MCO for one night this August and I was surprised to see a room option that is basically a "quiet room." The description indicates these rooms have enhanced soundproofing features so you can get work done or rest well with limited disturbance from noises. They cost $20 more than standard rooms.

I =.

this is AWESOME!! :number1:

I would LOVE to have a quiet room at WDW. There is so little sound insulation, you know right away when it's 6am on the dot. Everything from crying babies, to multiple doorslams for breakfast (at 6am???) and rolling luggage all seems to start up like clockwork. Never known why everything starts so early when people are supposed to be on vacation, but I would definately pay extra for a nice quiet room.

Luv4WDW
06-05-2013, 10:13 AM
I voted that I would pay extra for it. Yes, it is Disney and yes, I expect noise and kids (though, my husband and I do joke that "they shouldn't allow kids at Disney"). However, I'm pretty sure I hold the record for the world's lightest sleeper. I understand it is not reasonable to expect everybody to be as quiet as I would like them to be. Especially kids... I'm sure as a child getting ready in the mornings I was extremely loud! Have a room that is a little bit quieter would just be helpful for me to sleep. Yes, I sleep with ear plugs, but I'd still be willing to pay a little more to get my sleep at night so I can have lots of energy for bouncing through the parks during the day. :cloud9:

Dulcee
06-05-2013, 10:49 AM
We've only encountered a noise problem once (on our last trip) and that was due to some extremely obnoxious adults. What I learned from that is one phone call to the front desk and it was quickly taken care of.

So no, I wouldn't pay for it because for me it really hasn't ever been a big issue.

disneynarula
06-14-2013, 10:29 AM
It's not just the kids who are causing noise. I have had my "magical stay" ruined by other adults as well.

Usually we just try to get a room away from the main pool. We also request not to be on the bottom floor.

I did not vote in the poll because I would pay more for a quiet room but we would have kids with us. We tend to put the kids to bed early and would appreciate the quiet.

On another note we found that the values do tend to be a lot louder than the others. A few years ago we stayed at Saratoga Springs and it was quiet all day and night. Last October we stayed at Art of Animation and it was loud by the main pool all day and night.