PDA

View Full Version : FastPass Plus Testing has begun for Counter Service

BriarRose0708
05-17-2013, 10:58 AM
Interesting! Heard from an acquaintance in the Magic Kingdom yesterday that her family was chosen to test the FastPass Plus system for counter service locations. She was given a card for Be Our Guest. From what she described, random families are given a card with instructions. Here's what she said:

1) Log onto the website they give you and enter the ID pin number on the card
2) Select a time window (I don't know what the intervals are, but I'd guess half hours?) and select your meals.
3) Bring the card to Guest Services (I don't know why, and I didn't think to ask. Perhaps to activate it? Pick up FastPass tickets? Will have to ask later)
4) When the time window comes up, it works just like FastPass for attractions. She said there is a FastPass entrance at Be Our Guest.

She said they got to bypass the long line, get a table and their food was brought out quickly. I don't know any more than that, so hopefully others will be able to chime in if they have also been selected to test the new system. No one in her party wanted to change their selections so I don't know how that may work if you order in the morning and then want to make an adjustment or even cancel. I also don't know if they were on DDP or when they had to pay. I'll try to ask her when she comes back next week, I didn't want to bother her with minutiae on her vacation.

We've known this was on the horizon for some time now, but with this it all seems more and more real. I have ambiguous feelings about it until I can see it for myself.

Melanie
05-17-2013, 11:01 AM
1) Log onto the website they give you and enter the ID pin number on the card
2) Select a time window (I don't know what the intervals are, but I'd guess half hours?) and select your meals.
3) Bring the card to Guest Services (I don't know why, and I didn't think to ask. Perhaps to activate it? Pick up FastPass tickets? Will have to ask later)
4) When the time window comes up, it works just like FastPass for attractions. She said there is a FastPass entrance at Be Our Guest.

Exhausting!

BuddyL4
05-17-2013, 11:26 AM
Fast pass for counter serve meals? Next we will need adr's 180 days out....:thedolls:

k10
05-17-2013, 11:33 AM
Fingers crossed that all these FP "improvements" prove to be unpopular and they'll just leave everything as it is. I'm fine w/ the current FP system, in regards to the rides. As for eating? I'll predict right now that I'll never use it. Sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen.

buzznwoodysmom
05-17-2013, 11:42 AM
Like it's not bad enough we plan some days around our TS meals. I can't imagine being on a schedule for all meals every day. We like being able to have our QS meals when we are actually hungry and not work our day around yet another scheduled meal.

Ugh, I agree with whoever said "Exhausting". Seems like way to much trouble for a meal that should be quick and easy. I don't see us every using this either.

caryrae
05-17-2013, 11:44 AM
So you pick your meals ahead of time then when you show up and they scan the card they start making your food without you ordering it from someone?

Capt_redshirt
05-17-2013, 12:02 PM
So you pick your meals ahead of time then when you show up and they scan the card they start making your food without you ordering it from someone?

I didnt get that from the post but you know that wouldn't be a bad idea (like the deli computers at supermarkets) would make life easier then waiting in line behind people who just stand in line and don't know what they want....

caryrae
05-17-2013, 12:05 PM
Guess that's what can to my mind when I read,

BriarRose0708
05-17-2013, 12:13 PM

Essentially. In practice it's unclear weather you can order from home in advance (like scheduling an ADR for counter service plus ordering food) or if it's only when you get to the park.

Let's keep in mind this is only a test...

caryrae
05-17-2013, 12:20 PM
Guess the CS part wouldn't for me since I don't even know what I feel like eating on the day I'm at a Park, let alone what CS place we may want to go too. Unless you don't choose this stuff until your at a Park

BuddyL4
05-17-2013, 01:15 PM
Some day when you walk into your resort they will hand you your itinerary for your entire stay complete with your scheduled ride times, meal times, maybe even potty breaks. Sounds like a George Orwell novel yuck!

Dopey's Girl
05-17-2013, 02:00 PM
I need a nap just reading all those steps! I wouldn't even want to test that, much less have to actually work that way all of the time. Too much work...

Butters
05-17-2013, 02:30 PM
Eventually if you don't have your CS fast passes in place you'll be stuck with limited choices for lunch, like you are now if you don't have your ADRs in place 180 days out.

I'm still open to giving this Fastpass+ a try but if after one or two trips it has diminished my experience, I will most likely be selling my DVC and trying new vacations yearly.

Mgcamp
05-17-2013, 04:53 PM
As I mentioned in another thread where there was a great deal of teeth knashing and wringing of hands over the new fast pass. Lets remember a couple of things.

1) Nothing is final and it is still in testing mode.
2) No one will force you to do it.
3) You are always the master of your wallet no one will force you to spend 1 cent at Disney
4) There have been many changes over the years. Many of the changes that you or someone else loved someone else hated just as much and visa versa. There are enough things at Disney for everyone to have fun
5) Relax you are at Disney! Have fun! Speaking from personal experience my worst day at Disney is still better than my best day at work

Keep calm and carry on

BigB
05-17-2013, 10:51 PM
Next is Fastpass for bathrooms.

stephicakes
05-18-2013, 07:18 AM
Exhausting!

Yes - my thoughts exactly! Seems like way too much work for a "quick" CS meal. We like to eat spontaneously while in the parks.

If this is how CS meals have to be used for FP+, I can see myself eating more meals in the room, packing a sandwich for lunch, or eating by the pool back at the resort...

:eat:

AgentC
05-18-2013, 08:01 AM
I don't know. It is definitely not something I would want to do but I some people are really regimented about when they eat and it might work for them. For me me I like to avoid a big rush at meals but there are days at MK where everyone seems to want to eat lunch between 11:30 and 1. I suppose if eating at 12 is really important to you, this will make you very happy.

What I find interesting is all the different places they plan on rolling out Fast Pass+. We knew they planned on ride, parades,shows and firework viewings. Now we have CS.

If the rumors are true and people will be given 3 fast passes + for the day (or even if they add a few more), it will be interesting to see how people use their allotment. I think we all assume that everyone would use them the way "we" would use them and we tend to think of the rides. Now I could see a family with young kids deciding to use 3 on Peter Pan, a lunch at 12 and reserved seating at the early parade.

I'm not saying it is good or bad because I really don't know. Just interesting.

wildernesslady
05-18-2013, 08:29 AM
If this does happen, it may be impossible to even get into some popular spots like BOG for CS. We all know how hard it is to get a dinner ADR there, now this. I don't get it.

We generally do one ADR a day. That is hard enough to plan ahead. Too much planning for me.

BrerGnat
05-18-2013, 09:39 AM
I can almost guarantee that this sort of thing will only be same day meals. There is NO way they are going to staff CS locations and premake meals based on the "X" number of people who ordered meals from home for any random day 6 months ago. I bet you will only be able to do this while you are INSIDE the park you want to order from, and probably can only order meals a couple hours (at most) in advance. I look at this like any other "take out" places that you can do online ordering from. I can use an app on my phone to order a burrito from Chipotle, but I can't place an order that I want to pick up tomorrow.

I assume once this is live and functional, it will be a matter of simply using a smart phone to "order online" from a selection of CS locations geographically near your current location.

Honestly, this sounds great to me. I always know what I want to order and the worst part of eating CS (for me) is the waiting in line to order, then waiting at the counter for the food. People are so disorganized in these situations and it stresses me out. I'd love to just place my order, walk up to a counter, pay and get my food all at once.

BigB
05-18-2013, 09:52 AM
I like doing ADRs but to pick your food too?? I like planning but this is getting to be much. How do you know that they'll still have the item and that you'll want to eat it? I'm not knocking the idea or the concept but this seems a little over planned.

Melanie
05-18-2013, 10:01 AM
I'd love to just place my order, walk up to a counter, pay and get my food all at once.

If it works that smoothly.

If they don't remove the step of having to go to Guest Services, what is the point?

Jared
05-18-2013, 02:00 PM
I love the idea of being able to order counter-service meals from my phone while in the park. I'm not following the system Nikki described in the original post, though. That sounds overly complicated for what should be a pretty simple process.

It shouldn't be any different than the Chipotle smartphone app, for instance. With that, you can place your order and pay with a credit card, and you then walk up to a special window in the restaurant to pick it up with minimal wait. Instead of waiting in that massive Be Our Guest line, I'd love to be able to order and pay for my meal while waiting in line at Peter Pan's Flight.

Tons of chain restaurants already do this. It doesn't seem like a big deal. But why would anyone have to go to Guest Relations for this to work? That seems more difficult than necessary.

Melanie
05-18-2013, 02:16 PM
The more I think about all this, the more I realize I just don't have faith in Disney and their websites, apps, etc. With their track record in this department, I think it's justified to feel this way. I hope I'm proven wrong, and this (and all this + stuff) will be a smooth operation that greatly enhances the park goers day. :tink:

Jared
05-18-2013, 02:21 PM
The more I think about all this, the more I realize I just don't have faith in Disney and their websites, apps, etc. With their track record in this department, I think it's justified to feel this way.
Yeah, that's the problem. This should be so simple and helpful for people. But you know there's no chance it will work that way. How can a company as integral as Disney be this inept at applying technology?

PirateLover
05-18-2013, 02:40 PM
I'm with Mel... Color me skeptical.
I'm not against it per say. It sounds like some kinks need to be worked out, though.

If a lot of people choose this method, perhaps it will make the lines at peak times more manageable for those of us who aren't regimented, and don't know hours in advance at what precise time we will be hungry...and what we will be hungry for.

BriarRose0708
05-18-2013, 06:06 PM
But why would anyone have to go to Guest Relations for this to work? That seems more difficult than necessary.

:shrug: You got me there. Perhaps it's just for the test phase? There is a picture of the card on another website and this is clearly listed as step 3.

Sylvia
05-18-2013, 07:34 PM
This is too much work. It reminds me of the "real world" where everything is ruled by the clock. I don't want that when I'm on vacation. And I don't want to plan today what I'll want for lunch in August.

We'll probably continue to do what we've always done. Schedule CS meals in "off times" and enjoy ourselves. We also don't plan TS meals weeks in advance; we take our chances and always have a back-up plan if we can't get seated in a reasonable amount of time.

On our upcoming trip, we'll plan 4-5 TS meals in advance, but the rest of time time, we'll take our chances. I should mention that we're not planning meals at the top favorites, so we shouldn't have any problem eating at the TS's of our choice.

BrerGnat
05-19-2013, 09:32 AM
:shrug: You got me there. Perhaps it's just for the test phase? There is a picture of the card on another website and this is clearly listed as step 3.

I bet the Guest Relations step is just for testing. It's a way to keep track of how many people are actually doing it, vs. those that agreed to do the "test" but just never did it. I'm sure it's a data collecting step.

When you ask people to participate in a test of something, but then you send them on their way, there is always going to be a percentage of people who simply don't participate.

Janmac
05-19-2013, 07:52 PM
IF this system would work, we would use it, no questions. We always order the same things at the same counter services because that's what we like. At Flametree we get the chicken and rib combo which is a huge amount of food, but works out perfectly for me, DH and our grandniece. And we get to have lots of choices - chicken, ribs, beans, cole slaw. It's all good.

Same with Cosmic Rays - we always order the same thing.

On our last trip - in February of this year - we looked into Cosmic Rays just after noon and it was packed. We left. Went to the Contemporary CS. (Which caused no little problem because then DH and our grandniece had to figure out something to eat from a strange menu - bit of a melt down there until some fuel and fluids melted the attitudes away.) If we could have ordered ahead, we'd have probably eaten at Cosmic Ray's,

Since several in our extended family group have hypoglycemia issues, we usually eat at certain times, rather than when we feel hungry. Waiting til we feel hungry is a recipe for disaster.

Do I have faith in this working - no. Not even. Are their recent "enhancements" working yet? Thoe enhancements that overbooked BOG all summer?

:(

Jan

Mrs Bus Driver
05-20-2013, 01:18 AM
I can almost guarantee that this sort of thing will only be same day meals. There is NO way they are going to staff CS locations and premake meals based on the "X" number of people who ordered meals from home for any random day 6 months ago. I bet you will only be able to do this while you are INSIDE the park you want to order from, and probably can only order meals a couple hours (at most) in advance. I look at this like any other "take out" places that you can do online ordering from. I can use an app on my phone to order a burrito from Chipotle, but I can't place an order that I want to pick up tomorrow.

I assume once this is live and functional, it will be a matter of simply using a smart phone to "order online" from a selection of CS locations geographically near your current location.

Honestly, this sounds great to me. I always know what I want to order and the worst part of eating CS (for me) is the waiting in line to order, then waiting at the counter for the food. People are so disorganized in these situations and it stresses me out. I'd love to just place my order, walk up to a counter, pay and get my food all at once.

I agree sounds good to me to. Why is it the biggest argument against this is "you'll have to order 6 months in advance" when this has never been stated anywhere that I know of.
Its okay if you don't want to use your smartphone and don't want to look at the menu until you get there it just means that there will be fewer people in line with you. I as see it, it will be better for everyone. :mickey:

Melanie
05-20-2013, 05:37 AM
I agree sounds good to me to. Why is it the biggest argument against this is "you'll have to order 6 months in advance" when this has never been stated anywhere that I know of.
Its okay if you don't want to use your smartphone and don't want to look at the menu until you get there it just means that there will be fewer people in line with you. I as see it, it will be better for everyone. :mickey:

The "ordering 6 months in advance" wasn't my argument, and I agree there is no way that would work. I just think it seems like a lot of work for a simple CS meal, and am not convinced it will all play out as well as conceived. If all it is is a few taps on a smartphone and walk up to a window and receive our meal in a timely manner, I'm all for it. I just don't have faith it will go that smoothly.

BrerGnat
05-20-2013, 08:22 AM
If all it is is a few taps on a smartphone and walk up to a window and receive our meal in a timely manner, I'm all for it. I just don't have faith it will go that smoothly.

Negative Nancy. :drama: ;)

Actually, this is my only hangup with this ENTIRE system. The MyDisneyExperience App stinks to high heaven. It was horrible on my phone last year. We'll see if it's improved any come August.

I am optimistic about the premise of the whole thing, but not so much about the actual implementation considering Disney's awful track record with computer based programs.

Melanie
05-20-2013, 09:02 AM
Negative Nancy. :drama: ;)

I've been called worse. :D

But yes, I am about this entire Magic+ stuff. I think it's the worse thing Disney has come up with in years.

sharli
09-01-2013, 01:21 AM
I received my Magic Bands and was told that if you have them you can get a fp to BOG. Is that true? I went to the site but it won't let me type the letter parts of my confirmation number. Also, I saw a fp available when I go thru dining reservation. But when I go thru the steps, I can't find it again! Help! :confused:

Kenny1113
09-01-2013, 07:30 AM
No thank you!

Sounds OK on paper, but I fear what a pp said -we will need ADR 180 days out for CS.

Tekneek
09-01-2013, 07:39 AM
This is just silly. I hope the goal isn't for people to use up one of their 3 FP+ allotment to get chicken fingers. Of course, those people would probably win the silliest use of FP+ award, in direct competition with anyone who wastes one on any attraction that is consistently walk-on or less than 5 minute wait all day every day. Of course, there is nothing in MDE that warns you about making dumb/wasteful selections.

Dulcee
09-01-2013, 07:48 AM

I agree, if this was to come to pass I'd imagine it would be a lot like this. And to be honest if I know I've just walked on to an hour long line at Test Track and I can spend some of that time looking at the menu at sunshine seasons via my phone, walk off the ride and right into my order, I'm ok with that.

I'm even more ok with not having to deal with a cranky DH when we have to stand in line for 45 minutes to get lunch...

Katzateer
09-01-2013, 08:11 AM
Ugh, I agree with whoever said "Exhausting". Seems like way to much trouble for a meal that should be quick and easy. I don't see us every using this either.

I agree. :(

2MuchWDFun
09-01-2013, 09:08 AM
I can almost guarantee that this sort of thing will only be same day meals. There is NO way they are going to staff CS locations and premake meals based on the "X" number of people who ordered meals from home for any random day 6 months ago. I bet you will only be able to do this while you are INSIDE the park you want to order from, and probably can only order meals a couple hours (at most) in advance.

Yep...I agree. You took the words right out of my mouth.
It will definitely have to be a same day feature for the reasons you stated.
I actually like it, too--especially for seasoned WDW travelers that know what they want to eat at each CS location. We always travel with 2-3 people in our group so this would be both an easy and convenient option for us.

Anthony007
09-01-2013, 09:38 AM
After experiencing fastpass+ my opinion has changed, I liked not having to run for fastpasses first thing in the morning. As long as it is not too far in advance, I think it will be great. Remember you can now choose when you want to return, we don't have to worry about a fastpass conflicting with an ADR.

Fastpass+ for CS? At first my thought is no, but why not, sure beats waiting in the sun for an hour. And to the argument that only people in the know will do it, only people in the know wait in line for an hour. Others go for lunch, see the line, go somewhere else. Again, as long as its not too far in advance, I say lets give it a try.

Lindsey310
09-01-2013, 09:54 AM
I wouldn't mind trying it especially since the lines for Be our Guest have been hour plus waits. I def don't feel like getting in line for lunch at 10:30. :eat:

48 days!!!!!!! :joy:

joonyer
09-02-2013, 12:02 PM
Let's see, with this option, I could:

1) choose to to wait in a line for 30 minutes (or more) to get up to the counter, then decide what to order, place my order then, and wait another 5 minutes (sometimes longer) to get my family's lunch.

OR

2) Use my phone to look at the menu ahead of time (maybe while waiting in an attraction line), order what we want in advance, then walk over to the CS location, and pick up our food within 5 minutes of walking in.

And people have a problem with this choice???
Then wait in the long line by all means. Suit yourself. Of course then those people will be complaining about those guests who got their food without waiting in line. Wahhhhh.

What's really amazing is that it's taken Disney so long to do this. For years we have been doing this several times a week at my office. We order lunch on the telephone (or internet), then drive down the street to pick it up and guess what? It's already waiting for us when we get there. Amazing! :rolleyes:

It's not exactly a new idea. People have been using telephones to order lunch ahead of time for what, at least 50-60 years or more? Duh. It's about time.

Arielfan98
09-03-2013, 01:11 PM
I agree with everyone else except I think maybe FP+ for BOG for dinner would be great. Like many, no matter how hard I try I cannot get a reservation for there even for 2 people. I think as a loyal Disney customer, people staying on property should get the advantage to make reservations there for dinner before off-property guests.

hubbyofadisneyholic
09-03-2013, 09:29 PM

They better not limit me to 3 a day...:blush:

ANG
09-04-2013, 08:15 AM
I didnt get that from the post but you know that wouldn't be a bad idea (like the deli computers at supermarkets) would make life easier then waiting in line behind people who just stand in line and don't know what they want....

I would at least be on board for this considering my son has allergies and his meal must be ordered like 20 minutes before the rest of us.

LVT
09-04-2013, 07:36 PM
I like the idea. Counter service waits are big time wasters.

DonaldDuckUSA
09-05-2013, 11:39 AM

We're going to schedule when the paper towel dispenser activates.

I guess my only fear at this point is that all these changes will affect those who don't participate. If I don't want to schedule my meal times, fine. I don't have to. But how will planning CS meals interfere with my non planning. Does that make sense?

I just want to enjoy my vacation, y'all.

JerseyDad
09-07-2013, 03:03 PM
.....I heard that Disney will soon be experimenting with the placement of a micro-chip in the base of the brain of potential WDW visitors. All potential food choices, ride and attraction preferences, bathroom use frequency, times of greatest hunger pangs, etc, .....will be placed on said chip. Then everything will be planned ....pre-planned, over-planned to the likes of the corporate Disney control freaks .....giving them even greater perceived power.

....non conformists or those that choose change their mind and have fries instead of onion rings for a meal ...will be sent to Universal ...where they will enjoy themselves in unheard of ways.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

disneynarula
09-09-2013, 07:37 AM
I wonder if you will be able to do this with food allergy requests? That always tacks about 30 minutes onto our counter service experience.

If it's a matter of ordering an hour or so in advance from a phone I don't think it's a terrible idea.

However... I don't think I would do it days in advance.

I am so tired of WDW throwing all their energy at technology and less on improving the parks themselves.