PDA

View Full Version : SW and AirTran - assigned seats?

mousetrapper
05-13-2013, 11:02 PM
How does Southwest's acquisition of AirTran affect checkin? We booked through SW but our flight down to WDW is on AirTran. Do we get assigned seats? When do we choose if so -- when we check in online 24 hours ahead of time? Anything else we should be aware of?

wildernesslady
05-14-2013, 07:38 AM
I called before booking. You will have your seats assigned 24 hours before flight. You check in the same as you would for SW and instead of boarding numbers you should have seat assignments.

Hammer
05-14-2013, 11:52 AM
I called before booking. You will have your seats assigned 24 hours before flight. You check in the same as you would for SW and instead of boarding numbers you should have seat assignments.

This is the problem I have with taking an AirTran flight. Airtran will assign you a seat 24 hours out. You have no control where they'll put you. I'm fine if I can choose the seat from a map or pick it based on my line position like Southwest, but don't choose where I'll sit without my input. It will be better once the two airlines are fully integrated next year, but for this year it is a big pain!

fanofdisney
05-14-2013, 11:47 PM
Just as a side note, something we took into consideration when booking, is that AirTran is charging $25 for a checked bag. I was a bit surprised about that since SW doesn't, at least that is what we found unless someone else comes along with different info.

stephicakes
05-15-2013, 07:01 AM
When flying AirTran out of ROC, DH always paid the $5 extra per seat, per trip leg, ahead of time to pick our seats together.

wildernesslady
05-15-2013, 09:51 AM
Just as a side note, something we took into consideration when booking, is that AirTran is charging $25 for a checked bag. I was a bit surprised about that since SW doesn't, at least that is what we found unless someone else comes along with different info.

As long as you book your AirTran flight through SW there is no luggage fee. Our confirmation says 2 free bags.