PDA

View Full Version : Snake Repellant--Really Work?

mickeys_princess_mom
05-11-2013, 08:46 PM
Do any of the products out there really do work to repell snakes? Concerned about deck area, live by a canal, have seen several in the yard, even by the house, through the years. Worried about the grandbabies, and I'm reading conflicting reports about the effectiveness of the repelling products. Plus many of them seem to be a toxic danger, as well. Any advice?
I read all the stuff, too, that says just to learn to live with them. Not an option! I myself am terrified of them!
:hide2:

Itchy
05-12-2013, 11:55 AM
Do any of the products out there really do work to repell snakes? Concerned about deck area, live by a canal, have seen several in the yard, even by the house, through the years. Worried about the grandbabies, and I'm reading conflicting reports about the effectiveness of the repelling products. Plus many of them seem to be a toxic danger, as well. Any advice?
I read all the stuff, too, that says just to learn to live with them. Not an option! I myself am terrified of them!
:hide2:

Here is some information I got off a good web site.
Warning

Using snake repellents can be dangerous to just about everyone other than snakes. Some ingredients in commercial snake repellents, such as naphthalene, may be poisonous to children and pets. Very strong smells from home remedies such as moth balls, sulfur, cedar oil, artificial skunk scent, coal tar and liquid smoke not only smell badly to people, but can make them ill. Strong scents can even trigger migraines in some people, according to "Migraine: Manifestations, Pathogenesis and Management."

Alternatives

Because snake repellents generally do not work, it is better to physically remove a snake from a home and then seal up all cracks or entrances that the snake crawled through. Never approach an unrecognizable snake because it could be venomous. Call a professional animal handler to remove the snake. For non-venomous snakes, sweep them into a bucket and take outside. Snakes follow their prey, rodents and insects, into buildings and yards. Cleaning up trash, brush piles and mowing the lawn prevents rodents, insects and snakes from moving into a home or garden.

Hope this helps...:mickey:

mickeys_princess_mom
05-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Here is some information I got off a good web site.
Warning

Using snake repellents can be dangerous to just about everyone other than snakes. Some ingredients in commercial snake repellents, such as naphthalene, may be poisonous to children and pets. Very strong smells from home remedies such as moth balls, sulfur, cedar oil, artificial skunk scent, coal tar and liquid smoke not only smell badly to people, but can make them ill. Strong scents can even trigger migraines in some people, according to "Migraine: Manifestations, Pathogenesis and Management."

Alternatives

Because snake repellents generally do not work, it is better to physically remove a snake from a home and then seal up all cracks or entrances that the snake crawled through. Never approach an unrecognizable snake because it could be venomous. Call a professional animal handler to remove the snake. For non-venomous snakes, sweep them into a bucket and take outside. Snakes follow their prey, rodents and insects, into buildings and yards. Cleaning up trash, brush piles and mowing the lawn prevents rodents, insects and snakes from moving into a home or garden.

Hope this helps...:mickey:

:thanks: I read some of the same about the dangers of the repellants! I'm actually allergic to a lot of strong scents, too...And thankfully never had one in the house! I would die! DID have one crawling into a weephole, but couldn't get in. I was freaking out. Husband spotted him from the semi as he pulled in, hopped down and got him. He keeps the grass cut short but we have several acres, edged by woods, so....Always on the watch. He just took down pool and deck and rebuilt deck out in the yard. Talked about throwing repellant underneath to head them off, but now I'm thinking that could be nearly as dangerous! Ugh!
Maybe a mongoose?....;)

BrerGnat
05-13-2013, 08:41 AM
I agree you have to be very careful with repellents. As for under the deck, we had snakes under our deck in New Jersey often when I was a kid. There's really not too much you can do about it. The good thing is, if they are under there, they aren't in your yard just hanging out. They like the cool, dark areas. You could maybe try installing some kind of mesh screening to prevent critters from going under the deck.

As for the safety of the kids, all I can say to that is that you should check the yard before you let them out there to play, and you should stay out there with them at all times until they are old enough to know to stay away from snakes.

We have snakes around here too. The ones in our area are harmless, but they are no less creepy to me! :eek:

Dulcee
05-13-2013, 09:47 AM
Repellants can be noxious to humans, if your fear is keeping your grandkids safe ditch the toxic chemicals. (They aren't good for the rest of the environment either!)

Do some research, you didn't list the area you live in but if you live in an area without venomous snakes try to let the concern go. Snakes really aren't all that bad. They'd far rather hide then attack, even the species that get a bad rap. Anything bigger then them (unless you live in the Amazon!) and they'll run and hide. Keeping the underneath of the deck clear of debris, leaves and anything handy to hide in will create a less favorable home for them.

If you live in an area with venomous species make sure older kids are educated to stay away and tell adults if they see any snakes. Know what your dealing with and if the level of concern you have is warranted. Having other critters around can keep snakes at bay. Domestic dogs and cats do a great job of marking territories and their presence really provides a less then hospitable home for snakes.

At the end of the day, snakes are a very important park of your local environment. They are so misunderstood! Even working in a biology department in a world renowned university, surrounded by scientists, it took a lowly graduate student to rescue a baby rat snake that made it into our lab. So your fear of them is in good company.

My biggest suggestion to those with a fear of snakes is get to know them! Take you and your grandkids to a local nature center where your bound to learn about the local reptiles. Knowledge is a great way to dispel the fear. While you may never love them knowledge of what they do for you may make you appreciate them just a little bit. Snakes control local rodent populations and thus help to control disease levels. Without snakes your local ecosystem would be in a whole lot of trouble.

mickeys_princess_mom
05-13-2013, 10:24 PM
I agree you have to be very careful with repellents. As for under the deck, we had snakes under our deck in New Jersey often when I was a kid. There's really not too much you can do about it. The good thing is, if they are under there, they aren't in your yard just hanging out. They like the cool, dark areas. You could maybe try installing some kind of mesh screening to prevent critters from going under the deck.

As for the safety of the kids, all I can say to that is that you should check the yard before you let them out there to play, and you should stay out there with them at all times until they are old enough to know to stay away from snakes.

We have snakes around here too. The ones in our area are harmless, but they are no less creepy to me! :eek:

My granddaughter is getting used to me being about a foot away from her at all times, :blush:. She waits for me if I fall behind. Definitely checking all the time. My son pulled his wagon to uncover a water moccasin when he was small. Haven't gotten over that. We blew that thing into a million pieces. And then I broke down!

mickeys_princess_mom
05-13-2013, 10:32 PM
Repellants can be noxious to humans, if your fear is keeping your grandkids safe ditch the toxic chemicals. (They aren't good for the rest of the environment either!)

Do some research, you didn't list the area you live in but if you live in an area without venomous snakes try to let the concern go. Snakes really aren't all that bad. They'd far rather hide then attack, even the species that get a bad rap. Anything bigger then them (unless you live in the Amazon!) and they'll run and hide. Keeping the underneath of the deck clear of debris, leaves and anything handy to hide in will create a less favorable home for them.

If you live in an area with venomous species make sure older kids are educated to stay away and tell adults if they see any snakes. Know what your dealing with and if the level of concern you have is warranted. Having other critters around can keep snakes at bay. Domestic dogs and cats do a great job of marking territories and their presence really provides a less then hospitable home for snakes.

At the end of the day, snakes are a very important park of your local environment. They are so misunderstood! Even working in a biology department in a world renowned university, surrounded by scientists, it took a lowly graduate student to rescue a baby rat snake that made it into our lab. So your fear of them is in good company.

My biggest suggestion to those with a fear of snakes is get to know them! Take you and your grandkids to a local nature center where your bound to learn about the local reptiles. Knowledge is a great way to dispel the fear. While you may never love them knowledge of what they do for you may make you appreciate them just a little bit. Snakes control local rodent populations and thus help to control disease levels. Without snakes your local ecosystem would be in a whole lot of trouble.

I do understand and appreciate your response. I just really have a big fear of them. Even taught biology a few years. During field trips I would take my group to the zoo, but would dash through the snake building as fast as I could, eyes averted, and meet them on the other side, lol. It's that bad.
Unfortunately we live in an area where many venomous snakes are prevalent. Big ones. I feel like my fears are amped up more than usual because of my toddler granddaughter, and soon-to-arrive grandson. I'll just have to be as vigilant as I can. The snake repellants just sound like a really bad idea from all that I'm reading.
Not a dog person, but have seriously considered just for this reason....

Dulcee
05-14-2013, 09:29 AM
Unfortunately we live in an area where many venomous snakes are prevalent. Big ones..

Ah, I can see the venomous aspect definitely increasing the fear. An outdoor cat would help too!

BigB
05-14-2013, 10:41 AM
My family has found the best rodent/snake any small animal repellant is an outdoor pet. We had two female Dobermans when I was a child. The one would patrol the yard and kill anything that wasn't a family member. It took years after she passed for a squirrel to even think about coming into the yard.