PDA

View Full Version : New Bus Policy at Shades of Green

T-Belle
05-10-2013, 06:23 PM
Just saw this on SOG website.

Effective Sunday, May 19, 2013
There will be a 100% ID check on the buses on your return trips from the parks back to Shades of Green. All adults will need to have their room key or resort ID along with a photo ID card; military ID cards are preferred.
Upon your return trip, please have your ID’s out and ready to show the bus driver prior to boarding the bus.

buzznwoodysmom
05-10-2013, 08:14 PM
I guess I can understand this since you have to show ID to get on property at SoG, but who wants to mess with getting all that out at the end of a day in the parks????? I can just imagine the back up in the lines because of clueless people searching for their ID, holding up the line while all I want to do is get back to my room as quickly as possible!

I guess this is another reason to add to why we don't take advantage of the great rates available to us here. Don't get me wrong it's a great resort for the price, but the bus service as it was, was one of the things we didn't like about this resort to start with.

Melanie
05-10-2013, 08:34 PM
Well, people have apparently abused this somehow, which is unfortunate.I agree that it will cause delays, but I guess really no different than getting behind someone who doesn't know what they want or can order on the dining plan.

One thing I will give the SoG bus system is that it's prompt and extremely predictable. It leaves when the schedule says it will. Whether the times are convenient to all is another story. Sometimes I'd rather know when I'm leaving/could be leaving as opposed to sitting at the CBR bus stop for 25 minutes waiting for a MK bus while 3 Epcot busses come by.

It will be interesting to see what reasons are given for this and how it works.

Goofy4TheWorld
05-10-2013, 08:58 PM
How were the SOG buses being abused to warrant this policy?

buzznwoodysmom
05-10-2013, 08:58 PM
Well, people have apparently abused this somehow, which is unfortunate.I agree that it will cause delays, but I guess really no different than getting behind someone who doesn't know what they want or can order on the dining plan.

One thing I will give the SoG bus system is that it's prompt and extremely predictable. It leaves when the schedule says it will. Whether the times are convenient to all is another story. Sometimes I'd rather know when I'm leaving/could be leaving as opposed to sitting at the CBR bus stop for 25 minutes waiting for a MK bus while 3 Epcot busses come by.

It will be interesting to see what reasons are given for this and how it works.

Mel, I agree that it's probably due to abuse of the system in some way. And I also agree it will be just as anything else in WDW, getting stuck behind guests who don't know how to use their card to enter the park, don't know what they want to eat, don't know what they can get on dining plan. plan But it's still another aggravation I don't want to deal with.

And my issue with the bus was the frequency. While the buses were always on time coming and going the hour they are spaced out wasn't convenient for our family. Our own fault, since we weren't ready in time to make it to the bus stop, but having to wait another hour or find another way to get there wasn't to our liking. It works great for other folks, just not for our family.

But with increasing resort rates we may see ourselves giving SoG another try in the future. You really can't beat the price and location.

Melanie
05-10-2013, 09:40 PM
It works great for other folks, just not for our family.

But with increasing resort rates we may see ourselves giving SoG another try in the future. You really can't beat the price and location.

Exactly! I know it's not for everyone. The times we've stayed there and missed our opportunity, we just walk to the Poly. We don't mind the stroll.

And truly, SoG is a great deal for what you get. At even the highest rate, which is $129 TOTAL, you are hard pressed to ever find a moderate resort at that price. Even if you do, after taxes and fees it's closer to $200.

But again, I agree the bus system is the biggest drawback for this resort. Of course, most everyone staying there is military, and showing our IDs are part of daily life, so this really shouldn't be that big of a deal, if you are notified in advance. Hopefully this will be stated to everyone at check-in so folks are aware. I am interested in how those non-military who are staying there with a sponsor will be treated though. It better not be an issue!

T-Belle
05-10-2013, 10:29 PM
How were the SOG buses being abused to warrant this policy?

I'm confused by this too. I guess it's just for security. I can't think of any other reason. You have to show ID to get on grounds and pay to park. And to be quiet honest I've never been that impressed by the food choices but I guess some people might want a free ride to the restaurants. Why else would someone want to ride to the hotel from the parks? So maybe because it is leased by the government and caters to military they are trying to take precautionary measures against any threat. This is just my opinion.

buzznwoodysmom
05-10-2013, 10:59 PM
Of course, most everyone staying there is military, and showing our IDs are part of daily life, so this really shouldn't be that big of a deal, if you are notified in advance. Hopefully this will be stated to everyone at check-in so folks are aware. I am interested in how those non-military who are staying there with a sponsor will be treated though. It better not be an issue!

We are national guard military so we rarely use our IDs, but I guess you are right that the majority of guests staying there are used of showing IDs as part of daily life. I would think as long as non-military guests show their room key and drivers license they are good.

mechanic
05-10-2013, 11:34 PM
Makes sense. You don't want trouble makers sneaking into resort.

pcoleman
05-12-2013, 09:36 PM
Haven't been in awhile but we always had to show id in the past. Don't know when they stopped. It never slowed down anything. Everyone new to have it out. I have always preferred SOG buses, they were never packed, you knew what time they would arrive and drop off and we received many good tips from the drivers.

BrerGnat
05-13-2013, 08:25 AM
This is likely for security purposes. As a government run establishment, it is a potential target, as is any other government building. Hotels are not immune to terrorist attacks. In fact, American based hotel chains are usually the ones targeted in over seas attacks. You don't want to let in anyone with bad intentions, and if it's easy to just hop on a bus and get to the resort, that becomes more likely.

T-Belle
05-13-2013, 08:35 AM
This is likely for security purposes. As a government run establishment, it is a potential target, as is any other government building. Hotels are not immune to terrorist attacks. In fact, American based hotel chains are usually the ones targeted in over seas attacks. You don't want to let in anyone with bad intentions, and if it's easy to just hop on a bus and get to the resort, that becomes more likely. This is exactly what I was thinking and the only thing that makes sense to me. Like the saying goes..."it is better to err on the side of caution". It may not be a complete and fully effective solution but at least it's something. If a car thief wants to steal your car most likely he will. All you can really do is put time consuming obstacles in place and slow him down and hopefully make it not worth the trouble.

T-Belle
05-14-2013, 05:24 PM
Thought I'd share this update from Shades of Green.
Good afternoon all! A few updates, as well answers to your frequently asked questions that arose in the discussion about upcoming ID check on Shades of Green busses:
*The 100% ID check has been changed to take effective Monday, May 20, 2013.
*Day use of the resort and its amenities-such as the spa, restaurants, tickets, and AAFES- is still allowed and encouraged to any guests who have a military ID, or the resort ID received at check-in + photo ID.
*In testing a 100% ID check, we have not experienced delays. We expect the same success when it is fully implemented though there may be minor delays during peak periods. We ask that all of our guests have their ID’s out and ready to show the bus driver prior to boarding the bus to help avoid those delays.
*If staying at SOG, and you have guests visiting you from other resorts who do not have a military ID, you may call our security gate and put them on the guest list.
*An ID check for the walking path onto Shades of Green is also part of our plan for increasing security in the very near future.
*The motivation for these decisions has been and always will be to maintain the safety of our guests and employees. The safety of you and your families is always our priority.

mechanic
05-14-2013, 05:45 PM
Seems very reasonable. My son just joined Navy and says he will take us there on his first long leave. Looking forward to it.