PDA

View Full Version : Help! Planning for the Fourth of July!

edwards2301
05-10-2013, 06:11 AM
Tradition has it that we go to MK on our first day, EPCOT second, then HS, then AK (Maybe). But this year we arrive on the 2nd so we would be going to the MK on the 3rd and EPCOT on the 4th. We have not been for two years and last trip we really enjoyed hanging out at the pool in the morning and then going to a park. My party consists of me, DH, DD (8), DD(4), DM (70"s), and DF (75). We could go to MK on the third not stay real late, get up and swim on the fourth, visit EPCOT for a bit and then take the monorail to MK for the fireworks. If so, when should we arrive for fireworks. How packed?? How often have they closed due to high volume??? Me oh my don't want the girls to miss the Fourth of July fireworks. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks

VWL Mom
05-10-2013, 07:08 AM
Since they will also be showing the 4th fireworks at MK on the 3rd, I would probably stick with your original plan of MK on the 3rd and Epcot on the 4th. That way they could see both sets and you may avoid (albeit slightly) the MK crowd on the 4th.

DizneyRox
05-10-2013, 07:20 AM
Last time I tried MK fireworks on the forth, we arrived about an hour before hand, and only made it to one of the pass throughs under the train station (on Main Street)... It was wall to wall people, and only really got to see flashes of light because of the obstructed view.

If you want to see anything meaningful at MK on the forth, I suggest getting there real early.

Epcot holds crowds better, I would stay there on the forth.

This year, they may be celebrating the forth all week at MK which means you might see the forth of July fireworks every night that week, making catching them much easier.

vicster
05-10-2013, 11:28 AM
We were at the MK one year on the fourth and it was a nightmare. They did close the gates because it was filled to capacity and then it rained w/lightening. Imagine everyone trying to leave or head to the shops. We learned our lesson - not fun at all.

edwards2301
05-13-2013, 06:25 AM
I think we might just try the MK on the third and then catch EPCOTS Fourth show! Thank you for your suggestions. :mickey:

wdw_bound
05-18-2013, 10:06 PM
Last year, we did Mickey's Backyard BBQ at Ft Wilderness on the fourth and stayed for the MK fireworks (viewed from the beach). It was great! Visibility for some of the lower fireworks was obscured, but we saw about 85% of the show I the sky. They piped the music in. Their was a crowd, but it was nowhere near as crowded as any of the parks, and dinner was great with some wonderful character interaction. After the fireworks, we caught a bus directly back to our hotel (they put them on for HDDR). I would recommend it over dealing with park craziness.

minnie04
05-20-2013, 10:49 AM
@ wdw_bound. That sounds like a great idea. I’m going for the 4th and don't really want to deal with the craziness of the crowds. I'm going to look into doing that dinner and just watch from there. What time do they do the fireworks?? Regular time or is it different for the 4th? :mickey:

cuteduck223
05-21-2013, 12:31 PM
we've got 7 pm reservations at Ohanas for the 4th...then down to the beach for fireworks (9:15).

VWL Mom
05-21-2013, 03:04 PM
What time do they do the fireworks?? Regular time or is it different for the 4th? :mickey:

Fireworks on July 3 and 4 will be at 9PM.

andmomlau
05-27-2013, 07:17 PM
I hate to be a doom and gloom person, but we arrived on the fourth a few years ago, just myself and DH. Went to EPCOT where the outside show in "America" was amazing. We left to be sure to get into MK for fireworks.....never, ever again! We placed ourselves on Main Street at least 90 minutes early and we could not move! It was intimidating if not scary! You could not budge..and we were two adults! I would never attempt it with children or older parents!!! I'm a Disney veteran and know all of the tricks and tips, and this was terrible! The cast member at the bus told us the only night that its worse is NYE! July 5th was great!

edwards2301
05-28-2013, 06:15 AM
Thank you for all of your suggestions! I am pretty sure we are going to avoid MK on the Fourth. I am thinking EPCOT for the Fourth and MK for the Third. I doubt my little ones want to fight crowds and my whole group trying to stay together won't be fun in a mess like that. Once again thank you for all of your help. :mickey: