PDA

View Full Version : Big Cedar Lodge, near Branson, weekend

Janmac
05-08-2013, 01:41 PM
My sister invited me to go along with her granddaughter and her on a weekend to her time share at Big Cedar (actually Wilderness Club). My sister loves this place so I was interested in checking it out.

My grandniece made up schedules for each day, and they were eye openers. This 8 year old has been all over Branson and Silver Dollar City but what does she put in her 3 day schedule? Pool, pool and pool. Interspersed with board games and trips to the resort's gift shop.

So if you're wanting a less expensive trip to the Branson area with your kids, perhaps all they need is plenty of pool time.

Even tho the weather was chilly and a bit drizzly, we walked to the Clubhouse daily and really enjoyed the shuttle back to our building. My sister's car stayed parked the whole weekend. The only downside was that we had a studio instead of a one bedroom, so no fireplace. :(

I did enjoy the stay at Big Cedar - the molasses cookies brought by the Cookie Lady on our second day were so yummy - but I'm not as hooked on it as my sister is.

However, if she were to ask me to go along again, I wouldn't turn her down. :thumbsup:

Jan

buzznwoodysmom
05-08-2013, 01:56 PM
Jan,

You need to go back during the holidays! We fell in love with Big Cedar last Thanksgiving. We are hoping to go back soon, but I must admit I am not sure I would love it as much without all the holiday decor and that feeling you get around the holidays. I am sure we would still love our time there, but I know it won't be as spectacular.

Our little cottage had a lot to do with it also. It was so perfect and cozy with the really cold weather out. Anytime we were in the cottage we had our fireplace lit. Not sure a studio without a fireplace would have had the same impact on us.

We are considering spending 4th of July there next year. My hubby has to do another 2 week military school and we are thinking of doing the one in Wisconsin next year (this year we are doing the New Jersy class). Big Cedar would be about half way from home to his class location next year. I can't wait to go back!

mdricks
05-08-2013, 04:32 PM
I've been a couple of times and it is a really great place! The best trip by far was in January when we got snowed in one weekend. Fire in the fireplace, Snow coming down softly, Prime rib delivered to our cabin hot from the restaurant.

Big Cedar is a rare gem.

:number1:

buzznwoodysmom
05-08-2013, 04:36 PM
I've been a couple of times and it is a really great place! The best trip by far was in January when we got snowed in one weekend. Fire in the fireplace, Snow coming down softly, Prime rib delivered to our cabin hot from the restaurant.

Big Cedar is a rare gem.

:number1:

That sounds like my kind of weekend!!!

Janmac
05-09-2013, 08:58 AM
Holiday decorations really do make a difference. After many Decemeber trips to Disney, a January trip felt odd - the parks seemed empty. Good luck with your Fourth plans, Denise!

Yeah, snowed in with prime rib delivered - priceless.

My sister likes the rustic ambiance - she stopped at the Rusty Moose (maybe it's called?) and ordered a sectional couch for her apartment, she's that hooked. And she likes just hanging out at the resort - all inclusive.

But I think another big draw for her is the parking lots - she checks out all the cars. There are an amazing number of out of state plates at Big Cedar. On an unseasonably chilly weekend in early May we saw cars from Georgia to Texas, Louisiana to Minnesota.

Lotsa validation. :thumbsup:

Jan