PDA

View Full Version : Bring your own stroller or rent?

Mr. Disney
05-08-2013, 12:23 PM
At the time of travel to WDW my little one is going to be 11 months. So, would it be easier to rent a stroller or just bring one? Also, if we rent a stroller, is that rental good for all parks (for park hopping) or do we have do a separate rental for each park? If it is good for all parks, then can we take the stroller from MK on the bus to AK?

snuggs30
05-08-2013, 01:01 PM
I always rented a stroller. Especially if riding Disney buses. They were always in the way on the buses. If you rent a stroller at one park, just save the receipt and then when you park hop just show them a receipt and they will give you another stroller. The ones at the park do not fold up, they are hard plastic. So either way would work. But I prefer renting. :mickey: Have fun

azcavalier
05-08-2013, 01:03 PM
At the time of travel to WDW my little one is going to be 11 months. So, would it be easier to rent a stroller or just bring one? Also, if we rent a stroller, is that rental good for all parks (for park hopping) or do we have do a separate rental for each park? If it is good for all parks, then can we take the stroller from MK on the bus to AK?

We haven't rented a stroller in years. If they haven't changed, then no, you can't take the stroller from park to park. You pick it up at the stroller rental inside the gates, and return it there on your way out.

I do not remember if you can "park hop" your stroller rental. I *think* you can.

We used to just buy a $20 WalMart umbrella stroller once we got to Orlando. It's cheap, it's light, folds up easily, and you can take it from the gates to the WDW transportation (or your car). When your child is asleep, you don't want to take them out of the stroller to give it back to the rental place. Far cheaper and more comfortable than the park strollers, too.

Strmchsr
05-08-2013, 01:06 PM
Renting strollers at the parks now is ridiculously expensive. You could buy one of the nicest strollers on the market for the price of a 2-3 day rental from WDW. So, if you're going to rent one, definitely go with Strollers and Groceries (look on the left side under the Icot Sponsors column). Much cheaper.

If you're flying down, renting one that way would probably be best so you don't have to hassle with the stroller on the plane or with baggage claim. If you're driving it's up to you whether you can fit the stroller in the car.

Madame Leona
05-08-2013, 01:07 PM
I prefer to bring a stroller. My boys napped in the stroller at that age where I don't think the hard plastic would have been comfortable. Plus, there are so many places outside the park where we needed a stroller including the airport, the resort, Downtown Disney, etc. I don't know how much strollers rent for now, but I will admit the cost scared me off also.

mcjaco
05-08-2013, 02:09 PM
I've been looking into this for the past few months. I've been told, and read in multiple places, that it is better to rent, or buy your own cheaper umbrella stroller.

We're going to buy a couple of cheaper umbrella strollers (Chico has a $35 model with a shade and a pouch) for our visit in August.

ANG
05-08-2013, 02:25 PM
I've never rented only brought our own.

Veterans, don't you need your own for DD?

AgentC
05-08-2013, 02:39 PM
I have brought my own big stroller, rented a WDW stroller, brought my own cheap umbrella stroller and rented from two different offsite stroller companies.

For an 11 month old I would recommend renting an off site stroller.

The Disney strollers are hard and expensive. There is no recline so they are not the best for younger children. They also don't have much storage space.

I brought my big stroller when my children were younger and the umbrella for my daughter at 3 & 4. Even though we drive and it is not a long distance, I found bring a stroller to be a bit of a hassle. The cheaper umbrella type might also not be great for an 11 month old especially if you think he will want to nap in it. If you want to save money, bringing your own is the best option.

The last time I rented was about 6 months ago and I rented from Strollers & Groceries. They rent City Mini and Mini GT Strollers. Their rates are really reasonable. $45 for 7 days on the City Mini. They drop and pick up at your hotel. The strollers are a great quality and come with a rain guard. I was extremely happy with my rental experience.

buzznwoodysmom
05-08-2013, 03:17 PM
A 11 months I brought our really nice umbrella strollers from home. I don't recall the name of the ones I had, but they reclined, had a sun shade, a decent sized basket under the seat, nice big wheels that were easy to roll, folded up quickly and had a carrying strap. They were not to difficult to get on and off the buses. There was a time we had two small children, two strollers, and diaper bags, and we managed just fine getting on and off buses.

However, as soon as my kids were a bit older (2ish) I was all about renting in the parks and not having to deal with them on the buses at all. I know it's expensive, but it made life easier.

kakn7294
05-08-2013, 07:02 PM
At 11 mo, I'd bring my own but I'd look for a small, lightweight umbrella-type that reclines, has a sunshade, and has some storage.

BuddyL4
05-08-2013, 07:23 PM
If it were me i'd bring my own.We usualy drive so transportation is not an issue. This summers trip we will have a "joging" stroller for the 2 yo grandson, although I doubt i'll be joging :D

Tekneek
05-08-2013, 08:29 PM
I've always felt that the Disney strollers were much better for kids 2 years old and up. They can handle the rough aspects much better and can use the room for sleeping. A little one would have a rough time in something that should be providing them comfort.

I would recommend bringing your own or renting from off-site, preferably a service that would deliver the stroller to you and pick it up at the end of your vacation.

Janmac
05-09-2013, 09:29 AM
We've brought a better stroller (MacLaren Triumph) that was not difficult at all on buses. And other trips we've rented Disney strollers in the parks. I agree with posters who like the parks strollers for older kids, toddler and worn out five and six year olds.

One difficulty with only renting in the parks is that some resorts are large. Having your own stroller - perhaps rented from a service that will deliver to your resort - is very handy. Especially with an 11 month old, getting bigger and not yet walking a lot.

Jan

Figment104
05-20-2013, 12:24 PM
We just got back with my 17.5 month old DS and we took our Chicco Liteway stroller. Best decision we could have made. It's pretty light weight (not as light as the really small umbrella strollers), folds up quickly and compactly. It fit on the buses great, and even fit on the small boat launches that take guests from the Wilderness Lodge, Poly, and Grand Floridian to the Magic Kingdom. It has three different recline settings, plus a decent size shade and a nice smallish basket underneath (worked just fine at the parks for us). It isn't the cheapest stroller out there, but in my opinion you really get your monies worth out of it. We got a past model year color so ours was a bit cheaper and came in around $100. I plan on us using this for quite a few future trips for DS (it has a high weight limit as well), and any other children we might take to Disney.

It was so nice having it for us to use at the hotel, and in the airport (we gate checked it, and it worked great).

I love the citi mini strollers and saw a lot of them when we were in the parks, but they do seem a bit cumbersome, but that could just be my impression. They sure look comfy for little ones though. I wouldn't recommend renting a stroller from the parks though for an 11 month old. As others have said, they are hard plastic, and don't recline at all. DS did most of his napping in the Liteway with no issues as all.

BrerGnat
05-20-2013, 01:05 PM
I just had my 11 month old niece over to visit. There is NO WAY a WDW rental stroller would work for that age. They are hard plastic chairs, essentially.

Bring your own, or rent one from Strollers and Groceries. They use City Mini strollers, which is are great!

KylesMom
05-23-2013, 04:31 PM
I'm with Nat - either bring your own or use our INTERCOT sponsor, Strollers and Groceries, who have built up a great reputation and following.

jennsky
05-23-2013, 06:25 PM
We've been renting a double City Mini stroller the last few years for our two kids (now aged 4 and 6). Best decision ever! You can take them from your hotel room to the parks and back again. No having to return the (uncomfortable) hard plastic ones Disney offers and then having to carry your exhausted whiny kids. This way, they can sleep all the way to the bus/your car and then you can wheel them from the bus/your car back to your room. Makes things much more convenient...and correct me if I'm wrong, but it's cheaper than renting Disney's strollers!