PDA

View Full Version : Airfare

BigB
05-07-2013, 11:15 AM
We are 213 days (almost there!) away from our DW trip and I just noticed that Southwest posted there schedule. We tend to book early, not so much for any possible discount, because we just like knocking that off the list. It kind of makes it seem like we are leaving sooner than we actually are.

My question is how early does everyone else buy their airfare?

faline
05-07-2013, 11:25 AM
For me, it varies. If I find a really good rate, I'll jump on it. Otherwise, I try to figure out whether fares are going up or down and book when it seems to make sense - typically, I would not book closer in than about 3 months (unless I'm already within that window when I plan a trip)!

DizneyRox
05-07-2013, 12:23 PM
My gut tells me when to book, and lately (with Southwest anyway) that means as soon as fares are released.

Southwest doesn't do the post a million flights and then funnel everyone into one or two trick. So, i've found that more often than not, the cheapest flight prices are when they are released, at least when we fly, which tends to be the busy times.

We are also not a if we fly, it's a certainty that we will be. So, the cost is the cost, it's not a comparison against driving, or the rain, or whatever other means of transport people tend to use these days.

epceddie
05-07-2013, 01:37 PM
We booked for our October trip as soon as the new schedule was announced and we got two round-trip tickets for $299. Checked today and the same flights are $457. It pays to book early with Southwest, because you can cancel and rebook, and you get a credit for the savings. We were able to apply $280 in credits for our trip in April and ended up paying $48 total for two round trips.

AvaNellMouse
05-07-2013, 03:42 PM
When my flights for September were initially released they were in the $150's. Now they are $180's. I keep hoping they will go down but so far they haven't. I am really regretting delaying my purchase!

Jeri Lynn
05-07-2013, 03:50 PM
We are flying JetBlue in November and got RT out of Boston for $275

I used to wait in hopes of a lower fare, but it's been a couple years since I got lucky.

BrerGnat
05-07-2013, 06:01 PM
Well, the entire reason why we are even taking a trip this summer is because about a month ago, Jet Blue had a $86 each way fare sale for our airport to MCO. I booked it...couldn't pass that up! I figured we'd just carve out a trip around the flights.

Today, Southwest is on the last day of their "Tuesday/Wednesday now through fall" fare sale for select markets at $59 each way. I scored a flight for MIL from NC for $211 round trip. She is joining us, obviously. I was able to get $67 one way, $144 the other, on nonstop flights out of Charlotte, which is a great price!

We are about 3 months exactly out from our trip.

Southwest varies quite a bit, depending on the airport you are using. However, since the Air Tran merger, I'm seeing a lot more options and some at downright steals of prices ($67 one way nonstop from CLT-MCO is the lowest I've EVER seen, for example).

My advice for Southwest is book the flights as separate one way transactions. That way, if one leg changes price, it's MUCH easier to rebook at the lower fare and get a credit than if it's a round trip.

Also, don't book TOO early, because then if you end up having credits issued, you have to use them within a year of the ORIGINAL booking date.

BigB
05-07-2013, 11:04 PM
We are also not a if we fly, it's a certainty that we will be. So, the cost is the cost, it's not a comparison against driving, or the rain, or whatever other means of transport people tend to use these days.

:thumbsup: We are the same way! We don't have the patience to take more than two and a half hours of travel time, LOL!! I'm going to watch the fares but probably wait till next month to purchase. If they even hint of going up, I'm booking!

mickeys_princess_mom
05-07-2013, 11:47 PM
It seems like we are having little luck with waiting and getting deals lately. Right now it would cost DH and me almost $800 to fly on our upcoming trip, and the specials are not applying from our home to MCO. But I was able to score a $141.00 round trip fare to Dallas for this summer! :)We're just going to drive to Disney.

BigB
05-08-2013, 11:42 AM
For the most part there haven't been any deals. I always compare until the day we leave and they just don't offer anything. And any deal they offer are negated from all the fees. I understand if you pack a bunch of bags but why should I pay for the first bag?

BrerGnat
05-08-2013, 12:11 PM
For the most part there haven't been any deals. I always compare until the day we leave and they just don't offer anything. And any deal they offer are negated from all the fees. I understand if you pack a bunch of bags but why should I pay for the first bag?

I've never paid to check a bag in my life. I fly Southwest or Jet Blue primarily. If I have to fly an airline that charges fees, I just pack a carry on and a backpack. Can fit a week's worth of clothes in there if I have to.

vamaggie
05-08-2013, 09:02 PM
Because of my work and kids, we usually have to travel on the holidays (T'giving, Christmas, spring break or summer). I check flight prices the day they are released and if it is in my "comfort zone" I pull the trigger. If not, I keep checking to see if they go down. Our flights in Nov (gobble gobble!) were high when they released but then about 1 month later, went down to where I was ok. Jumped on them., Now they are about $100 more per person. Unfortunately, SW and Jet BLue make us go up north to go to FL (for not too much less $$$ in fact) and I just can't see doing that.

BrerGnat
05-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Unfortunately, SW and Jet BLue make us go up north to go to FL (for not too much less $$$ in fact) and I just can't see doing that.

Where in VA are you?

We use Dulles and Reagan. We are also in Northern VA, up near Manassas.

We are flying direct from Reagan (DCA) to MCO in August on Jet Blue for $86 per person each way!

Southwest also has nonstops from DCA to MCO (technically, operated by Air Tran) as well.

BWI-MCO has TONS of non stops, but I know BWI is kind of a haul, so we never use it.

k10
05-09-2013, 01:39 PM
as a Bostonian, i usually on look at JetBlue for airfare. i usually buy once my dates open up for purchase and there's usually a discount.

that being said, if i buy airfare on JetBlue that's not the greatest deal, but one comes along after i've booked, they'll credit me the difference towards a future flight. i love this since i fly 1 or more times a year!!!

FiggyFan
05-09-2013, 07:49 PM
We like JetBlue. Like Southwest, they will give a credit if you see the price go down and call them. With JetBlue, the credit is good for 1 year from the date you get the better fare, not from the original booking date.

faline
05-10-2013, 08:01 AM
With JetBlue, the credit is good for 1 year from the date you get the better fare, not from the original booking date.

Yes - I do not like Southwest's policy on this. JetBlue's travel bank works much better for us.

vamaggie
05-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Where in VA are you?

We use Dulles and Reagan. We are also in Northern VA, up near Manassas.

We are flying direct from Reagan (DCA) to MCO in August on Jet Blue for $86 per person each way!

Southwest also has nonstops from DCA to MCO (technically, operated by Air Tran) as well.

BWI-MCO has TONS of non stops, but I know BWI is kind of a haul, so we never use it.

We must be close to you--we are in the C'ville area. THe rates always seem to be higher to go out of DCA for when we go (holidays etc). We are flying United in Nov and when I checked the SW site the day the tickets opened, the flight down was like $142 but the return was > $400!!! Wish we could travel off times but our life does not allow that :(

BrerGnat
05-13-2013, 08:48 AM
We must be close to you--we are in the C'ville area. THe rates always seem to be higher to go out of DCA for when we go (holidays etc). We are flying United in Nov and when I checked the SW site the day the tickets opened, the flight down was like $142 but the return was > $400!!! Wish we could travel off times but our life does not allow that :(

Yeah, holiday travel is always tough. We always said we'd never do WDW in the summer due to the heat, but it's very hard to pass up such amazing airfare so we're going in August. LOL! June and July though? Forget it. SO expensive!

stephicakes
05-13-2013, 01:30 PM
Lately the best prices we find for flying directly out of ROC seem to be booking as soon as the flight prices come out. We booked 6 months out for our upcoming September trip and are flying round trip, nonstop, for UNDER $200 per person. As others have said, we can always keep checking Southwest and get a credit if better prices come out.

:spend:

CanadianWDWFan
05-13-2013, 04:31 PM
As others have stated, it all depends on the time of year you are going. Another factor is are you redeeming points for some or all of the flights. These flights will sell very quickly at peak times. We are planning a Disney cruise for Christmas 2014 and we are going to purchase and redeem points as soon as the airfares are posted.

BigB
05-14-2013, 10:12 AM
A week!?!?! In a week airfare went up over $100!! Why?:confused: I guess I should have bought it when I saw it. I at least figured I'd get a month before the price increase. I guess I'll have to watch it daily now.

BigB
05-14-2013, 10:31 AM
And as I was looking around on Southwest's site they are having a sale! What kind of sale makes the cost go up that much? The sale ends soon (May 16) and hopefully it'll go down. At worse, when I book next month I'll have to check regularly for a cheaper price and just get a credit for next years trip. And yes, DG and I are already planning a May trip next year! We are hoping that the SDMT will be open by then (really hoping it'll be open by December).

ckaranassos
05-16-2013, 10:44 AM
A question for southwest customers. I hesitated purchasing southwest airfare tickets for our 8/19-8/26 trip at $114 each way because spirit was still a little cheaper at the time. Now southwest tickets have jumped to $177 each way. Did I miss my chance or will these prices drop again before my departure time? We have always flown spirit so I'm uneducated in southwest's trends. I'm so upset because southwest flight times were better than spirits. :crying::crying::(

i'm grumpy
05-17-2013, 12:22 PM
We flew Air Tran last year for $249. Been watching SW and it just keeps going up. It's now $550. :( There's no way we can pay that. Allegiant was around $400 I believe plus bag fees and no Magical Express. :(

PopPhan
05-17-2013, 12:28 PM
A question for southwest customers. I hesitated purchasing southwest airfare tickets for our 8/19-8/26 trip at $114 each way because spirit was still a little cheaper at the time. Now southwest tickets have jumped to $177 each way. Did I miss my chance or will these prices drop again before my departure time? We have always flown spirit so I'm uneducated in southwest's trends. I'm so upset because southwest flight times were better than spirits. :crying::crying::(

It is possible that the price will fall again, but not all that likely.

If you are dealing with SouthWest, the trick is to book at least one of your flights as soon as possible. If prices drop, you can get a credit to your account (no refunds!!) that you could use toward your other flight(s). If prices go up, well, you have already locked in your price.

If you have booked all your flights and prices go down, you can change your reservation to get the lower price(s) and have that credit on your account for one year. So if you plan to fly SouthWest (AirTran??) within a year, that might be a good way to go as well.