PDA

View Full Version : Military discounts vs. free dining?

DizMagic
05-07-2013, 09:12 AM
I was just reading another post about military salute tickets. Just wondering, which usually works out to benefit you more when you're planning a week long trip -- the military discounts or the free dining offer?

I'm on hold waiting to hear about any military discounts for the fall and just wondering which might work out better for our family. With a family of five I very much appreciate any discounts! Thanks for your input!

VWL Mom
05-07-2013, 09:20 AM
If your considering a trip in September the current military discounts are out through Sept 28 and information can be found here (http://bookwdw.reservations.disney.go.com/ibcwdw/en_US/specialOfferDetails?name=Promo&promotionCode=fy13military&market=fy13military).

The free dining requires purchase of a 2 day ticket and you will pay rack rate for the room(s). I think if you check what the military room rates are you would be in a better position to compare the cost.

Melanie
05-07-2013, 09:48 AM
By far, the military room rate (40%) is the best out there. We combined that with the Tables in Wonderland card which gave us 20% off dining, so it was a no brainer for us. Plus we aren't big fans of the way the dining plan works, regardless if it's free or not.

If you qualify for the Tables in Wonderland card, I'd definitely suggest going that route combined with the military room rate. If not, you'll have to do the math and consider how your family eats. Considering there are five of you, it might just work out that the free dining is a better deal for you.

BrerGnat
05-07-2013, 10:30 AM
It's going to depend on where you want to stay. If you are a family of 5 staying in a deluxe resort, you will do FAR better with the military 40% discount. The discount is less at the values and moderates (20% or 30%).

The tickets are the best deal out there. You will save easily close to $1000 on the tickets alone. You may only get 4 park days, but if you add the water parks fun and more option for the $25-30 they usually charge, it's a great way to extend the trip to get 7 days worth of fun for a steal!

Currently, the 4 day hopper with WPF&M is $184. A 7 day hopper with WPF&M is TWICE that!

The dining plan is worth much less than the savings you will have using the military discounts, so I would just plan on doing OOP dining.

buzznwoodysmom
05-07-2013, 11:05 AM
I agree with Natalie. It really depends on what resort your booking, and if you really want the dining plan or not. This past Feb. we were originally booked at POR, and free dining actually came out cheaper there than the military discount. However, once we upgraded to WL the better deal was using the military discount and military tickets and paying for dining plan.

If you don't need/want the dining plan then the military discount will definitely be the better deal. However, if you are like my DH (he insisted on the dining plan this last trip) then it will depend on which resort you decide at.

mechanic
05-07-2013, 03:56 PM
For 5 shades of green might be best deal, combined with military ticket discount.

BrerGnat
05-07-2013, 05:51 PM
For 5 shades of green might be best deal, combined with military ticket discount.

Yes, this is usually the case. However, Shades of Green does not participate in ME, and guests of Shades of Green have to pay to park at the theme parks ($15/day) as well as at the resort itself ($5/day). They do get EMH, but that's about it. Also, their bus system is very different than the Disney resort bus system.

These are among a few reasons (there are more) that our family has not chosen to utilize SOG yet. A big issue for our kids is the lack of a pool slide at the pool.

Also, Shades of Green room rates, depending on rank, can be as much as a Moderate resort. We would pay $135/night. For only $75 more, we can stay at Wilderness Lodge. No brainer, IMO.

Melanie
05-07-2013, 05:58 PM
Have you never stayed at SoG, Nat?

Yes, rates for upper enlisted and officers do compare with mod prices, but remember, there are county, city, hotel, etc. taxes which add up when staying at Disney resorts. For the price, the room size can't be beat, and the location is nothing to bark at.

BrerGnat
05-07-2013, 06:08 PM
Have you never stayed at SoG, Nat?

Yes, rates for upper enlisted and officers do compare with mod prices, but remember, there are county, city, hotel, etc. taxes which add up when staying at Disney resorts. For the price, the room size can't be beat, and the location is nothing to bark at.

No, Mel, I haven't. Honestly, I don't really love having to drive at Disney, and having to pay the parking fees at the parks is not cool. I am NOT a fan of the way their bus system works, and walking to the Poly to use their transportation is not my idea of staying "deluxe". ;) I'm just picky, I guess. Also, when we stayed at the Swan last year, even though we were RIGHT THERE, we felt so detached from the "Disney" aspect. I imagine the same would happen to us at SoG. And, there is that aspect of being "surrounded" by the military presence on vacation that just doesn't appeal to us either.

We may stay there for the marathon weekend, but only as a last resort.

Melanie
05-07-2013, 06:10 PM
No, Mel, I haven't. Honestly, I don't really love having to drive at Disney, and having to pay the parking fees at the parks is not cool. I am NOT a fan of the way their bus system works, and walking to the Poly to use their transportation is not my idea of staying "deluxe". ;) I'm just picky, I guess. Also, when we stayed at the Swan last year, even though we were RIGHT THERE, we felt so detached from the "Disney" aspect. I imagine the same would happen to us at SoG. And, there is that aspect of being "surrounded" by the military presence on vacation that just doesn't appeal to us either.

We may stay there for the marathon weekend, but only as a last resort.

It's not for everyone, that's for sure. We enjoy it, and have never felt we were surrounded by military. It's a lovely resort.

Oh, and we loved the Swan as well. ;)