PDA

View Full Version : Just home from the Wonder- an overview

Christine
05-04-2013, 12:57 PM
This is just a quick synopsis of our trip:
April 27-May 2
Wonder
Western Carribean

I will start by saying, if it wasn't so inconvenient to get there I would use Port of Miami over Canaveral any day! It is so easy and nice, and the luggage retrieval is SO much more organized.

Weather- PERFECT! Not hot, not cold. Perfection and sunny! Made for smooth sailing.

Service- all in all pretty good. Our lead server didn't speak very fluent English. I told him I don't eat white potatoes and would like the sweet potato and he brought me sour cream. ??? :)
Very sweet tho.
The stateroom attendant was wonderful! He loved my husband and always asked me "where is mr John"

The rest of the crew, helpful but not really overly friendly as we've had on our other cruises. Not bad service at all, just blah.

Merchandise:
Loved the new dooney cruising patterns. The inaugural fantasy and the striped DCL were really nice. I abstained, like a good girl ;)
There was a lot of 15th anniversary DCL stuff too.
My biggest joy was the Cars popcorn bucket and come cup at the Walt Disney theater, straight from carsland in DLR.

Entertainment-
All shows were well done, but the Dream show is still my favorite.

Dining-
SLOW! Wow our dinners took anywhere from 2-3 hours! Not due to courses. We'd sit there with nothing for a long time. Also STEAK was a constant issue. My DH & our friend like medium rare. They got well done/actually charred more three times! On day 4 the head server brought us steaks from Palo as a terribly nice gesture. It was brown all the way through.
Other than that, not that impressed with the food. Our entire party (4 families) said they'd have rather had the time back and just eaten at Pluto's Doghouse. We put it on the comment card. Show seems to have has taken over quality of dining.
Favorites- baked Alaska and mushroom risoto appetizer. Those were the only things I ate all of.

Castaway Cay- great as always- Cookies had great food.
Did the 5K- HOT!!! But fun and got my sea medal!
Rode bikes, snorkeled, and laid under the palm trees. Then time to go :(

Characters- WAY too chaotic and long lines to deal with. The atrium looked like a disaster area

Ship-
Although they're sister ships, I prefer the Magic. Triton's and the promenade lounge had a constant sour smell. I overheard several folks say their room smelled like urine. (Ours did not, but I counted 4 at guest services saying that and one of our families did).

We had a super time & can't wait for the next one!

Pictures will come soon--

Kenny1113
06-11-2013, 06:59 AM
I will start by saying, if it wasn't so inconvenient to get there I would use Port of Miami over Canaveral any day! -

This is great to hear! We thought Port Canaveral was very smooth (several years ago), so to hear Miami is even better is great news. We will be leaving out of Miami for our next cruise.

faline
06-11-2013, 07:49 AM
Thanks for your report. Sounds like your trip was a mixed bag!

DizneyRox
06-11-2013, 11:22 AM
Ship-
... I overheard several folks say their room smelled like urine. (Ours did not, but I counted 4 at guest services saying that and one of our families did).

Similar issues on the Magic when we went. Had them do a full cleaning of the room (including all the vent filters). The older ships really need a good cleaning, getting rid of all the carpeting, etc will be a much needed change.

GMRO
06-12-2013, 12:45 PM
Yuck, THAT STINKS!!! Literally…

We just finished our 3rd cruise on the DREAM and we had done one on the Wonder before that. Wonder was still in good shape 4 yrs ago when we were on it. No smells. AND the DREAM was/is just awesome. But of course still very new compared to the older classic ships.

SERVICE? WOW, strange you had that issue with food. We’ve never had an issue. We don’t “RUN” our servers and we are actually pretty easy to please. Our service on all ships we’ve been on with the various crews has been top shelf. Never an issue.

Wife and I commented just this past cruise in May2013 that we were very impressed at how well the DREAM still looked. FRESH!!! AND the service was KILLER! In fact once we get to property for the rest of our trip we always nit-pick the service. BUT I think it’s due to the HIGH LEVEL of service you feel on the ships that once you get on land it can’t compare. Sure land is nice and the CM’s are very nice but in our opinions they can’t compare to the DCL CM’s.

Anyway we find ourselves liking the DCL portion of our vacations/trips a little bit more than the parks these days. Don’t get us wrong…the MAGIC is still at both but we really like the adult quiet areas of the DCL.

Now IF the parks had adult areas… ;) WINNER – WINNER – CHICKEN DINNER!!!

It will be neat to hear about the referb of the Magic this Sept to see how it goes and what cruisers think once it's back on the open sea.

joanna71985
06-12-2013, 04:50 PM
Glad to hear about Miami, as I may be booking a cruise out of there for the Magic