PDA

View Full Version : Checking in 10/31 / Driving from Atlanta on 10/30 - where to stay overnight?

Tekneek
05-02-2013, 05:56 PM
Usually I drive the entire family overnight, then we check in and spend all day in the parks (I don't mind, I've even driven all the way home to Atlanta after going rope drop to close at MK). However, my wife has spent a lot of time explaining how much she doesn't enjoy that part of my typical plan. So, I will be driving a family of 6 (2 adults, kids will be 12/7/6/infant) down the day before this time.

We have the option to drive all the way to the general WDW area on 10/30. Can anyone recommend a good place to stay for 1 night? We'd be driving over to WDW to check in the next morning and expect that we could be in the area as early as 6 or 7 PM on 10/30.

PETE FROM NYC
05-02-2013, 06:56 PM
Try Knights Inn on 192 about a mile past WDW entrance, on the right. You would need 2 rms, don't know if they have connecting rms. But the price is unbeatable at less that $50/ nite. Its more like a smallish mom & pop type.
Also free coffee and donuts in AM. Or go down the block for a $5-6 bfast buffet at Sizzler or Ponderosa, I always confuse the two.

Davy Crockett
05-02-2013, 07:54 PM
We live just north of ATL and the last two times we drove down we stayed at the Hampton Inn & Suites in Ocala -Belleview. We left mid-morning from Alpharetta and were checking in at the Hampton Inn before 6pm. The hotel was highly rated and why we first chose it and I can affirm to it being a nice facility, very clean, large rooms, good breakfast and a good value and directly off the highway. We didn't get in any hurry, had breakfast the next morning and were sitting in the lobby at the Wilderness Lodge by 9:30 am. Actual miles from the hotel to WDW is 56 miles. It definitely makes for a MUCH better more well rested day to do it like this and not drive all night.

Hope this helps!

the other micki
05-02-2013, 10:12 PM
We stayed at the Comfort Inn Maingate. It's about 2 miles from Disney and it has rooms that accomodate 6 people. Nice rooms and kids had fun in the pool.

buzznwoodysmom
05-02-2013, 10:48 PM
We usually stay at a value resort on Disney property when we arrive a night early. It's great to be able to drive onto property, have dinner in the food court, relax at the resort pool, and watch Disney TV that first night. My kids would always wake up the next morning yelling "we are in Disney"!

gueli
05-03-2013, 02:39 AM
I am also traveling down in early oct. and plan on a 1 night stay in the Orlando area. for me the reason to not stay on property is the $150 + price tag for the value resort (but I will be checking in for the next am at art of animation).
I wonder, if the hotels that are $50 are worth it, or are you better off staying at a $100 place...
I will keep watching:mickey:

BrerGnat
05-03-2013, 08:45 AM
If you're willing to stay about 30 minutes out from WDW (like, near the airport or convention center), you should be able to get a very good rate. Those hotels are a lot less desirable for tourists for obvious reasons. I'd probably look for something like an Embassy Suites that will accommodate all of you in one room.

Tekneek
05-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Thanks for all the great suggestions. We're narrowing down our options now.

Brooklynos
05-03-2013, 02:10 PM
We have stayed at the La Quinta by Universal for the last 4 years on our Saturday night after driving all day from MS but don't want to check in until Sunday. I want to say it's around $60-70 a night but great location (less than 5 minutes to the pearly gates of Disney as we call them) and really nice people/free continental breakfast. It's on Major Blvd I think.

thejens
05-04-2013, 02:02 AM
We also have done a value resort for the first night. SO much nicer than anything else and so cheap!!

wdw_bound
05-04-2013, 03:19 AM
We really like the Country Inn and Suites at Calypso Cay. Only a few minutes to WDW,it is a good neighbor hotel with a great pool, small mini golf (free) and good sized rooms for a group your size. They do a comp. breakfast ( a couple of hot items, cereal, fruit, etc) the facility is nice and the staff is great.

TheVBs
05-04-2013, 07:33 AM
Is there a particular reason you don't want to stay on property for that first night? We've done it both ways. We drive down from Michigan and by the end of the first day we're just past Atlanta. We've stayed the night before just outside the parks and gone in first thing the following morning. But, we much prefer to just drive straight into WDW that second day of driving and stay overnight there. We just stay at the resort we've booked for the trip, have a relaxing afternoon by the pool, eat dinner there, enjoy the resort, etc. Staying on property might cost more, but (for us) nothing beats waking up in WDW to start our first day in the parks. Much easier than driving in that morning, having them store our bags, going through the check in process - and only then getting to hit the parks. I also think you'll be glad you avoided the overnight drive. We've never done that, I don't think we'd function well the next day. Hope you have a great trip! :mickey:

Tekneek
05-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Is there a particular reason you don't want to stay on property for that first night?

Family of 6. Already booked our package. Looking to save some cash since we won't be going to the parks at all that day anyway and really just want a place to get some good rest before we start our vacation with a late night on 10/31 (attending MNSSHP that night). Adding another night at Port Orleans Riverside, or basically anywhere on property, is going to be more than what we're looking to pay for this.

buzznwoodysmom
05-04-2013, 09:00 PM
Family of 6. Already booked our package.Adding another night at Port Orleans Riverside, or basically anywhere on property, is going to be more than what we're looking to pay for this.

Ok, totally makes sense. Although if the price weren't so high, one night in a family suite at Art of Animation would be a very cool surprise for the kiddos!

TheVBs
05-05-2013, 11:26 AM
Family of 6. Already booked our package. Looking to save some cash since we won't be going to the parks at all that day anyway and really just want a place to get some good rest before we start our vacation with a late night on 10/31 (attending MNSSHP that night). Adding another night at Port Orleans Riverside, or basically anywhere on property, is going to be more than what we're looking to pay for this.

Ok, yeah. I can totally understand that.

Tekneek
05-05-2013, 05:51 PM
Ok, totally makes sense. Although if the price weren't so high, one night in a family suite at Art of Animation would be a very cool surprise for the kiddos!

Yeah, we looked at that. For the budget we're on, the cost is too prohibitive.

BrerGnat
05-05-2013, 06:35 PM
Hey, check out the Springhill Suites near MCO. We need a night prior to our cruise this August, and I came across this property where we can get a room for $97 the night we need for our party of 5. The rooms will easily accommodate your party of 6 since one will be an infant.

If you have AAA, you can get this hotel for about $125/night on 10/30, and that includes a free full (and GOOD!) breakfast the next morning for everyone. I am a huge fan of Springhill Suites and this one is brand new so it should be very nice.

The room will have 2 queen beds, a double sofa bed in its own little sitting area, and you can request a crib for the baby at no add'l charge. These rooms are very large, and also have a kitchenette (fridge, microwave, and sink).

This one is just north of the airport, which would be a good place to stop over since the ride to WDW the next morning will only be about 20 minutes.