PDA

View Full Version : Hong Kong Day 11 (Apr 22) Disneyland & Going Home

Zawadi
05-01-2013, 05:20 PM
We had to check out by 11:00, but since he park did not open until 10:30 there was no great rush. We had breakfast at 09:00 then completed the packing and checked the account on the interactive TV system. We returned to the lounge at 10:45 to check out and Cinderella was there, looking a bit awkward, since there were no children around and she was being ignored. She was walking around the lounge striking the various Cinderella poses. We paid up and asked about the possibility of having an elevator pass so that we could use the lounge until we left for our 23:30 flight home - not a problem.

With our bags collected by the bell desk, we left with elevator pass in hand, to have a look at the Disney Hollywood Hotel, which was very well themed, before walking back to the park via the seafront promenade. This was a lonely walk, the only person we saw was a security person on his bicycle.

Back in the park, we had another 2 rounds against Zurg's robots before IASW. In IASW, the line splits into two boarding stations. All those in front of us went down the right lane, so we went down the left lane. The result was that we were the only occupants of the front boat and the boat behind us was packed.

It was then back to the Mine Cars. The park was busier than yesterday but still minimal wait times. We had two rides, the second one being front row since no one had gone down the front row line.

We then watched Festival of the Lion King, from yet another different section before boarding the train at the Fantasy Land station. A nice ride but only one on the footplate and the engineer/driver was wearing the station master/conductor uniform?! The sideways seating means that you cannot see Toy Story Land, Grizzly Gultch or Mystic Point.

After a complete loop, we got lunch from Cloppin's Festival of Food (Wok fried beef and rice for me and a vegetable and bean curd based dish for DW)

We wrapped up with the Carousel, ( the out of service horse from yesterday was nowhere to be seen, must have been swapped out overnight) 3 more Mine Cars (2 of which were front row) and getting a sneak photo of Mystic Point through the gates.

As we were contemplating heading out of the park, we passed Festival of the Lion King theatre and it was 5 minutes before the 16:30 show. We ran in to watch it from the fourth section. You can tell how impressed we were with the production, watching it 4 times within 2 days.

After the show ended it was time for the final photos before saying "joigin" (good bye) To Disneyland Hong Kong. We returned to the hotel club lounge and grabbed a snack and drink before getting a taxi to the airport.

At the airport, we dropped the bags off at 19:10, in a deserted Virgin Atlantic check in area. When going through security, I have this ability to pick the line with people who do not know the restrictions on what drinks, creams etc they can keep in their carry on luggage. This time was not different! A group of 5 in front of us had all sorts of drink bottles and other violations and they brought our security screening channel to a stand still. I was waiting to put my bags through the X-ray machine and the officer apologised and we both looked at each other in disbelief.

Some time, and money, was spent in duty free before settling into the the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse prior to being called for the flight at 22:45. This lounge is not as extravagant as the one at Heathrow but we had some wine an a burger.

The flight was called on time and we boarded but not without a minor incident on the gangway. At this point I was so tired, I was almost sleep walking and dropped our passports without realising it. Luckily DW noticed!

Both the service and food on the flight was exceptional. As soon as we got on board we changed into our "sleep suits" And put our watches back 7 hours. We both had cream of mushroom soup followed by braised spicy beef with rice and bok choy followed by warm chocolate tart and cream for dinner. We then asked for our beds, the seats flip over to become a 6ft bed, to be made up and grabbed about 4 hours of sleep.

We landed, back at London Heathrow, on time 05:25 and cleared security to find our driver waiting for us. We got home at 07:15 tired but thrilled about the experiences of the holiday.

Would we like to return? DEFINITELY. We would love to explore some of the not so tourist stops on the MTR system and get to know the real Hong Kong but more importantly check out Mystic Point in Disneyland.

We hope that you've enjoyed reading these reports and looking at the scattering of photographs. So, until our next trip to WDW in Dec 2013 "So long and see ya real soon!"

MizMissy
05-01-2013, 06:22 PM
Thank you so much for sharing your trip with us!! I so enjoyed reading all of your reports. Sadly, I read on my iphone at times when I could not comment, so please do not take the lack of comments as non-interest!!

You never mentioned it, but I was wondering if you experienced any real language barriers or communication problems? You seemed to go with the flow very well.

I must also comment that I am a bit green with envy from the luxury accommodations on your trip. You travel in style!!

Thanks again for sharing.

Dopey's Girl
05-01-2013, 09:10 PM
Thank you so much for reporting. It's doubtful that I will ever see any of the Asian Disney Parks, so I love reading about others travels!

MIKESMOM
05-02-2013, 05:51 AM
Thank you for sharing your incredible holiday with us! I really enjoyed reading about your adventures.

Melanie
05-02-2013, 07:54 AM
Glad you checked out the Hollywood Hotel. We really enjoyed our stay there. And I remember our walk along the water to the Disneyland Hotel was very lonely as well. :D

I've heard great things about Mystic Manor. So sad you missed it by just a few days. Another great reason to go back!

Thanks for reporting. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your reports.

Zawadi
05-04-2013, 05:41 AM
You never mentioned it, but I was wondering if you experienced any real language barriers or communication problems? You seemed to go with the flow very well.

Most people are bi-lingual. All signs and street names and advertisement boards are in English and Cantonese. Buses use a matrix board to show the next stop in both languages. Whilst the MTR does announcements which include which side the platform will be on. Public transport was the bit that scared me to start with but as you said we went with the flow.

I must also comment that I am a bit green with envy from the luxury accommodations on your trip. You travel in style!!

The Upper Class flight was as a result of 10 years of accruing "frequent" flyer points with Virgin Atlantic. That cost saving was spent on the accommodation upgrades.

Glad you checked out the Hollywood Hotel. We really enjoyed our stay there. And I remember our walk along the water to the Disneyland Hotel was very lonely as well. :D

The hotel was well themed. There are a couple of photos in our HK Disneyland library on photobucket. I forgot to put the links in the blog.

I've heard great things about Mystic Manor. So sad you missed it by just a few days. Another great reason to go back!

As I said earlier it's an excuse to go back :D

Thanks for reporting. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your reports.

We hope it brought back memories of your trip.

Thank you to all who have replied.

VWL Mom
05-04-2013, 06:04 AM
Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us. It's been wonderful reading!