PDA

View Full Version : Laptops- Need Advice

DVC2004
04-30-2013, 11:07 AM
Well, our laptop inexplicably stopped working over the weekend. We can sign in and then it takes a long time but nothing comes up but a blue screen. Husband thinks the RAM is fried. I have no idea. He's going to make a few calls but probably we will have to replace it.

We have always had Dell laptops. We don't watch movies or steam much video. We never listen to music on it. We use it mostly for web surfing and then for school work and a little business here and there.

My husband is thinking about a Mac book. I really am not sure if it's worth the price for what we use it for. Also- and this is ignorant probably but I am not a techie at all- how is it for compatability when you need to use Microsoft programs like Word, Excel,Power Point? Could I open these items, create documents, or does Apple have their own similar programs?

I think for what we use it for we would probably be better off just getting another $500 Dell. We do have an ipad which we love but we can still use that for surfing the web and apps.

VWL Mom
04-30-2013, 11:50 AM
My husband is thinking about a Mac book. I really am not sure if it's worth the price for what we use it for. Also- and this is ignorant probably but I am not a techie at all- how is it for compatability when you need to use Microsoft programs like Word, Excel,Power Point? Could I open these items, create documents, or does Apple have their own similar programs?

Microsoft does have Office for MAC, if I remember it was about $135 for the Student/Teacher edition.

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
04-30-2013, 02:35 PM
Once you go MAC you won't go back! Buy an Apple!

Kenny1113
04-30-2013, 04:47 PM
I love my MacBook Pro, it is user friendly. As previously mentioned you can get a Microsoft office package for Mac.

SBETigg
04-30-2013, 06:39 PM
You can't load your current software onto a Mac, though. You need the Mac versions. But then, say, with Word, you can open and work with documents from any version of Word, Mac or no.

It is pricier, yes, but my Macbook Pro (which I love) has outlasted my three previous Dells, that I went through in rapid succession. The only reason I kept buying Dells is because the husband got a very good workplace discount. Then I had a good year and had money to reinvest in my own business, and I went for the Mac. I will never go back. It does take a short time to learn how to use. There are subtle differences. And I mean, a very short time and you learn as you go, so it's no big stumbling block, but it is something to note if you're torn and thinking of making a change.

VWL Mom
04-30-2013, 06:59 PM
It does take a short time to learn how to use. There are subtle differences. And I mean, a very short time and you learn as you go, so it's no big stumbling block, but it is something to note if you're torn and thinking of making a change.

IMO it's a lot easier to adjust to Apple than to Windows 8. We're basically an Apple house (1 IMAC, 2 MBPros) but have a windows laptop for some very old programs. I wanted to get a new one, brought it home, tried to work with Windows 8 for a day, returned it. Definitely an operating system for touchscreen IMO.

BigB
04-30-2013, 11:31 PM
I like Apple a lot! They have a much better interface than Microsoft. Windows 8 is pretty terrible if you don't have a touch screen. Plus Dell has been making terrible computers for the last 5 years (at least).
In my opinion it comes down to cost. For what a MacBook cost you may be able to get a touch screen convertible laptop (search Lenovo Yoga Laptop to give you an idea) Unless you get a touchscreen stay away from windows 8.
A quick upside to apple, there aren't nearly as many viruses out for Apple as there are for Windows.

c&d
05-01-2013, 10:10 AM
I was always a Windows person until about 6 years ago when I got my first digital camera. Trying to make movies was horrible with windows software so I bought a Macbook and since then I've never looked back. I've upgraded to Macbook Pro and I now use it for work all the time. I find their software very intuitive.

PirateLover
05-01-2013, 07:43 PM
I love my MacBook Pro. I will never buy another Dell. In my experience, both laptop and PC, They work great for about a year, and then strange things start happening. My laptop had something wrong with it all. the. time. My keyboard stopped working out of the blue, the charger burned out 3x, then it was the connector inside the actual laptop. Never again! If you decide against Mac, I would shop around for another bargain brand, not Dell.

DVC2004
05-02-2013, 10:32 AM
Thanks everyone. It sounds like we'll go with the Mac. If it can do what I need and will last longer with little or no problems, it must be worth the money. I appreciate all the input.

SBETigg
05-02-2013, 11:57 AM
I always buy at an Apple store and get the Applecare plan. It covers almost anything (except spilling liquids on your laptop) and they will take care of any issues that arise. Also, you can enroll in classes at your Apple store to learn to use various features of your laptop at the optimum level-- but I have been satisfied just winging it.