PDA

View Full Version : How scary are the rides?

thejens
04-29-2013, 12:00 AM
Compared to Disney parks? I love Thunder Mountain Railroad, Space Mountain and Splash. I find the Yeti ride scary, but tolerable. Not too fond of Tower of Terror, but have done it more than once. I am too afraid to try Rockin Roller Coaster. I really hate drops, especially when I can see them. I love the 3D simulator types and don't mind rocking and jerking or spinning.

Just wondering which rides to avoid at Universal and IOA. For example the Hulk looks scary. Anything else I should avoid?

thejens
04-29-2013, 12:06 AM
For example, how scary is Spiderman? It looks fun and I know my boys will want to ride. Is it okay for a wimpy coaster rider like me?

eandrsmom
04-29-2013, 07:21 AM
I find the rides to be more intense. They are darker, last longer, and are LOUDER. That being said, Universal's engineers are to be commended on their ride innovations. Spiderman is a 3D ride unlike anything I've been on. I went on the Hulk for the first and last time on our last visit. It was way too much for me and I felt kind of sick. I love RRC, but it's such a quick ride, I've never had a problem. If your kids are older, they'll like Universal. It's now a must do for us on every trip.

LVT
04-29-2013, 08:00 AM
Spiderman was great. Think souped up Star tours on a track.

Hulk is a true coaster with loops::(

Men is black is another car through scenery with shooting. (buzz lightyear)

Forbidden Journey with Harry Potter has a lot of motion, but no inversions. Some of the motion problems come from the background you ride thru. It is very intense and meant to be scary.

The rollercoasters are fairly obvious. Most rides are rides thru movie simulator environments . They are rocky and rough versus high "G" force.

caryrae
04-29-2013, 10:05 AM
I cannot do Tower of Terror (tried once that was enough) or Rockin Roller coaster (tried 2 times but just don't like the fast take off). The only ride at the Universal parks I can't handle is the Dr Dooms fearfall (I think that's what it's called) because it's pretty much a drop ride like drop on Tower of Terror but it's outside. Even though I don't like Rockin Roller coaster I can handle the Hulk ride. It does have a fast take off but not as fast as RnR.

I think at Universal Studios you will be fine with pretty much all the rides except Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit which is a roller coaster which you will see goes straight up then straight down. Revenge of the Mummy may be iffy but is a very fun coaster, just one part where it does go backwards for a little bit. Depending on when your going the Transformer Ride may be open (suppose to be summer 2013) which is like the Spiderman Ride.

At Island of adventure there may be a couple you may or may not like, The Hulk (coaster), Dr Dooms Fearfall (drops), and Dragon Challenge (coaster). Spiderman is not scary you just ride in a car like thing that goes from 3D scene to 3D scene. The car does bounce and move like a motion ride. Harry Potter Forbidden Journey can be intense but not too bad, the queue is pretty cool when you get inside Hogwarts.

bruin1344
04-30-2013, 09:45 PM
If you dont like TOT or RnR, skip Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, Hulk, Double Dragons, and Dr Dooms Fearfall

VaderGirl
05-01-2013, 05:24 PM
so the spiderman & harry potter , r do not have any drops like a coaster do they? i cant handle drops either.

caryrae
05-01-2013, 05:40 PM
No spiderman you ride in cars kind of like the Dinosaur ride at AK and Harry Potter is kinda hard to explain, this is how Wikipedia describes it,

Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey uses KUKA robocoaster technology, which allows the seats to pivot while being held above the track by a robotic arm. However, the ride is not a roller coaster but a scenic dark ride. The experience includes a flight around Hogwarts castle, an encounter with the Whomping Willow and a horde of Dementors, and a Quidditch match. The ride drops, spins around, twists and turns, but does not turn upside down, though passengers sometimes lie flat on their backs. Over-the-shoulder bars are used to secure guests in their seats, and a single parabolic metal bar is used as a hand grip.

I can't handle big drops but I did fine on the Harry Potter ride.

VaderGirl
05-01-2013, 05:48 PM
ok, i know what dinosaur ride is. so are there drops in them? im not crazy about the one in the dinosaur ride. are they like soarin? that i can handle, just not a quick drop. yikes! im such a baby,i hate it.lol

caryrae
05-01-2013, 05:53 PM
No, No drops at all in Spider-man the track is flat but in some of the 3D scenes you make get the sense of falling.

VaderGirl
05-01-2013, 07:00 PM
oh great, thank you! do u know if theres drops in harry potter? i wish theyd make a chicken version where it splits off for the drops or something, i miss out on so much cool stuff.lol:ill:

DizneyFreak2002
05-01-2013, 07:10 PM
oh great, thank you! do u know if theres drops in harry potter? i wish theyd make a chicken version where it splits off for the drops or something, i miss out on so much cool stuff.lol:ill:

There are no drops on Potter... It is not a roller coaster.. Your vehicle is an "enchanted bench", which is attached to a KUKA robotic arm... The arm travels on a track and moves your vehicle in sync to the screens/set pieces...