PDA

View Full Version : Too old for Disney?

Roxanne0404
04-28-2013, 08:43 AM
I am taking my youngest son to Disney World May 4 thru May 11 as a gift for his college graduation present:party:. When his friend found out she was sad so I stated she could come if she wanted. When she told her mom, her mom said she was too old for Disney, (she's 23). I said "TOO OLD" for Disney are you nuts! :confused:

I'm 51 and I know for a fact I'm not too old! I'm already planning for my trip next in 2014.:thumbsup::yay:

Do you think any one is too old for Disney? :swing:

disneymom15
04-28-2013, 08:54 AM
Obviously, the girls mother has never been there herself. You're never to old to go to disney.

MickeysBestPal
04-28-2013, 09:00 AM
The Disney experience just gets better as you get older and can appreciate it that much more.

sorcerer fan
04-28-2013, 09:11 AM
My dear wife and I are in our 70's and still love Disney and cant wait for our Dec 2013 trip!

Maggie T
04-28-2013, 09:46 AM
Tell the old bag to get out of the house and live. Doesn't matter your age but how Disney makes you feel. You are never to old.

Mrs Bus Driver
04-28-2013, 09:48 AM
To old for Disney may be code for you can't afford it.:(

TinkerbellT421
04-28-2013, 09:57 AM
It's all in the mentality, she obviously has no fun side to herself. Sad, really.

MrPeetrie
04-28-2013, 09:57 AM
...You're never to old to go to disney.

Well said.

I'm almost 53 and can't stop thinking about our next trip in 2014.

VWL Mom
04-28-2013, 10:25 AM
To old for Disney may be code for you can't afford it.:(

That's the first thing that popped into my mind too.

1DisneyNut
04-28-2013, 10:40 AM
Some people just don't get it and some people for whatever reason hate WDW. How someone could not like the place is beyond me. They usually mention "all the people and long lines." My response is, if there were no people or lines it would mean the place stinks and NOBODY likes it. Those people and lines are there for a reason. :mickey:

Over the years I have gone through phases where I appreciate WDW differently. As a kid, it was just pure joy and excitement. As a teen, I started to enjoy the story and theming that goes along with everything. In early adulthood, I started to enjoy the grandeur and attention to detail. Once I had kids of my own, it was seeing the joy and excitement in their eyes when seeing things for the first time. Now it is the stories, the history and the memories I have of the place and going back with my own kids and riding the rides I remember from when I was their age. We talk about things we did and what happened and the rides that are no longer there all the time now. In the future, I would imagine some day I will be living it all once again through my grandchildren's eyes and making even more memories.

To me WDW is interwoven into the story of my life and I wouldn't trade anything in the world for it. You never grow to old for WDW, your perspective just changes.

cajundisneyfreak
04-28-2013, 11:28 AM
Too old for Disney ? That is ridiculous. Never I say.I'm 45yrs.old and a big kid at heart.I'll be at the happiest place on earth in 30 days. :cloud9:

Itchy
04-28-2013, 12:04 PM
To old for Disney? Poppy ****... I have never heard of such a thing.. Are they loonie?

I am in my early 60's and can't wait until my December trip.

When my grand mother lived in St Petersburg and she was in her 80's she and friends would travel to Disney for trips at least twice a year.

You are always young at heart..Don't let it get old...:mickey:

tomatoe pie
04-28-2013, 12:59 PM
i am in my 70s and still adore disney. i do not think you can be to old to enjoy beautiful surroundings and things that make you smile. i still enjoy the rides too. i just can't move as fast as i did when i was younger.

i know some people who think that all things you do in life should be for a more serious purpose but i feel that building fun and beautiful memories with your friends and family is important. i do think of walt disney and:mickey: mickey as my friends because they provided so much pleasure in my life.

who is too old for a mickey bar or to look down main street from the train station and see the beauty and the smiles on the faces of children and adults? :fworks: the fire works show at epcot is a lovely educational story of the world we live in. it may be a lot of pixie dust,:pixie: but i love it and it makes my life more pleasant.

MickeysBestPal
04-28-2013, 01:16 PM
It's all in the mentality, she obviously has no fun side to herself. Sad, really.

Mentioning my trips to Disney is one of my personal "litmus tests" to determine the kind of person with whom I'm dealing.

AgentC
04-28-2013, 01:41 PM
Can you be too old for Disney?

Can you be too old to appreciate the sunrise? Or a child's delight on Christmas morning? A row of ducklings waddling behind their mother? To cry at a sad movie or rejoice when love conquers all?
Can you be to old believe that if you can dream it , you can do it?

Some of us keep that wonder of life forever and some lose it way too soon. I'm sad for those who can't see the magic :magic:all around.

As for me, I can't even imagine reaching an age that would ever be too old for Disney.

buzznwoodysmom
04-28-2013, 02:28 PM
Too old for Disney???? NEVER!!!!!!

TheHD
04-28-2013, 02:42 PM
Mentioning my trips to Disney is one of my personal "litmus tests" to determine the kind of person with whom I'm dealing.

Same here.

I'm in my late 30's and my coworkers often scoff when I mention that I'm going to WDW again.

Kairi_7378
04-28-2013, 03:02 PM
That's the first thing that popped into my mind too.

Same here. It's actually one of the reasons my Mom gave for not going. And my Mom has plenty of appreciation for fun and magic. :pixie:

CynBeth
04-28-2013, 05:16 PM
Same here.

I'm in my late 30's and my coworkers often scoff when I mention that I'm going to WDW again.

I am close to you in age and people also do not understand why my husband and I love to go to Disney especially since we don't have kids. We are going this Dec and can't wait! We have been 3 times in the almost 14 years we have been married and this will be our 4th.

faline
04-28-2013, 05:46 PM
I was older than 23 the FIRST time I went to Disney. I wasn't too old for it then and I'm not too old for it now - thank goodness!!!

wildernesslady
04-28-2013, 06:27 PM
I will never be too old to go. My 30 year old is the most excited for our upcoming trip.

Terra
04-28-2013, 09:47 PM
Too old?? NEVER! I started off my love for Disney when I was 2 years old, living in Santa Monica with my mom and going to DL. My love continues at age 42, now myself and my sons go all the time, since we live so close to WDW. I've been trying to get my DH on board. He did do a week long vacation last year and enjoyed it mainly because of the boys. But he doesn't get the hype either.
And I went to WDW for years by myself or with "adult" friends before having children!
And I still go by myself from time to time!

Disney keeps me young at heart!

JerseyDad
04-28-2013, 09:54 PM
....I was 43 when I first got to go to WDW ...and am so sorry that I had not had the time or means to do so before that...because I'm and Disney-addict. My middle child ...daughter ....just turned 24 .....2 days ago ...and is already looking forward to this coming trip in August.

...the only one I need to convince now is my 28 yr old son ...who holds a 'semi-grudge' that we didn't take him to WDW when he was "young" ...and has therefore never gone. But ...we're working on him ...and hold out hope that he'll come along this August with the rest of the family.

taleasoldastime
04-29-2013, 01:11 AM
The Disney experience just gets better as you get older and can appreciate it that much more.

absolutely. i can reconfirm that! :mickey:

AmandaChan
04-29-2013, 07:48 AM
RUBBISH! Disney is the PERFECT trip for that kind of occasion!!1 people just don't understand which is okay sometimes, less crowds for us!

mydisneygirls
04-29-2013, 09:21 AM
Um....she's 23? She doesn't need her mother's permission to go. No one is too old because no matter how old/young we are, we all still have a little kid in us!!!!!

dkmwong
04-29-2013, 09:31 AM
HAHAHA Your never too old for Disney...What a downer this lady is :)

JWB3
04-29-2013, 09:40 AM
Too old for Disney is like saying you're too old for fun! My first visit was during college in 1973; at the time, MK only. Fast forward 27 years and my DW and I are there for the first time with our 8yo son - I've been hooked ever since! Now if I can just convince my DW, maybe a retirement celebration in 2015!! You can't just not love the magic!

DisneyDINK
04-29-2013, 10:47 AM
In the eyes of many I probably am too old for Disney. But, as it turns out, I JUST DON'T CARE! :mickey:

"But DisneyDINK, how can you say that?"

Well, I love Intercot, but there ARE those, even here, who believe that WDW is for families on vacation. I've read threads here a couple of times where people said exactly that. Yeah, there was a bit of a backlash, but somebody said it. I think most Intercotees are friendly, reasonably open-minded people and that's why I love to read and post here. Furthermore, I agree that the family with kids, say, under 18 is the most important demographic to the continued success of WDW. If you have questions about the parks the official Disney sites direct you to "The Moms Panel"; that's not an accident.

The most recent sponsor of Intercot is called "Strollers and Groceries". There is nothing wrong with them; they even sell beer now. But still, they are still called "Strollers and Groceries". I mean no disrespect to this Intercot sponsor, but it does kind of send a message.

I don't think I am too old for WDW, but there definately people out there who do. That's OK. I'll still keep going and have a good time. Like some of the PPs I am having a better time at WDW now than I did 10 years ago.

mdricks
04-29-2013, 11:20 AM
It is entirely possible to be too old but like many things its not the number, its the state of mind.

When confronted by nay-sayers i ask them what they do on vacation. I usually get a fair amount of surprise when people find out just how much there is to do beyond rides and lines.

So far only the skiers have me beat!

:number1:

Janmac
04-29-2013, 11:35 AM
Several of my grandkids were too old for Disney in their late teens. Thankfully, as they've gotten into their 20s, they're not so old any more.

Jan

TheHD
04-29-2013, 01:40 PM
When confronted by nay-sayers i ask them what they do on vacation. I usually get a fair amount of surprise when people find out just how much there is to do beyond rides and lines.

Yes, exactly. As I have gotten older (and wiser?), it's almost just as fun to take in the sights and details, along with other entertainment options, WDW has to offer than just the rides and lines.

Granny Jill A
04-29-2013, 01:55 PM
[QUOTE=mydisneygirls;2349465No one is too old because no matter how old/young we are, we all still have a little kid in us!!!!![/QUOTE]

Precisely! I'm still a little kid inside. Joy doesn't have a time limit or an expiration date.

Davy Crockett
04-29-2013, 02:15 PM
TOO OLD... NEVER!
If I didn't have a Disney trip to plan and count on every two years (Wish it could be every year BUT the DW will not let that happen) I think I would violent withdrawals.

EJS-Houston
04-29-2013, 02:37 PM
I am taking my youngest son to Disney World May 4 thru May 11 as a gift for his college graduation present:party:. When his friend found out she was sad so I stated she could come if she wanted. When she told her mom, her mom said she was too old for Disney, (she's 23). I said "TOO OLD" for Disney are you nuts! :confused:

I'm 51 and I know for a fact I'm not too old! I'm already planning for my trip next in 2014.:thumbsup::yay:

Ain't no such thang!

EJS-Houston
04-29-2013, 02:39 PM
A year and a half ago I went to Disney World with my 73 and 77-year old parents. My77-year-old Dad hadn't been since the late 70s/early80s and was SO eager to return. They had a blast!!! It was a wonderful family vacation.

#1donaldfan
04-29-2013, 02:47 PM
NEVER !! :mickey:

LudwigVonDrake
04-29-2013, 05:44 PM
You're NEVER too old for Walt Disney World :tink:

PETE FROM NYC
04-29-2013, 05:56 PM
I am 62, been a Disney fanatic since Mickey Mouse Club debuted on ABC in 1955. Annette was my second love, after Miss Crabtree.
DW and I became DVC owners in 2009, after over a dozen trips.
We will be too old for Disney about three years after we are planted.

mousetrapper
04-29-2013, 07:53 PM
I love this discussion, and I love that "litmus test" idea! I really do think some people just don't get it. I must admit there are times when I am a little hesitant about saying I'm going to WDW when someone asks where I'm going on vacation, especially in a professional setting, because so many people think it's "just an amusement park." "You're going AGAIN?" :confused:

We started going to WDW as a family when our DDs were 8 & 5. We all loved it so much - for my DH and me, it brought back all the memories of Wonderful World of Disney on Sundays. For us, Disney meant the ultimate entertainment experience. We grew up watching Walt on TV talking about his excitement about just making all of us happy - whether it was his next animated movie or giving us a tour of POTC.

When we finally were able to go it was everything and more we ever dreamed it would be. And sharing that with our DDs meant we were doing exactly what Walt intended - sharing a magical experience as a family, instead of the adults sitting on a bench watching the kids on the carousel.

We loved it so much we told the kids we'd plan to go every other year (couldn't afford every year!). As they got older and we'd been a few times, we asked them if they wanted to skip WDW and do something else for our "Disney Year." They looked at us like we were out of our minds.

DDs are now 22 and 19, DH is 52 and I'm 50. We've gone every other year since 1999. It seems like each time we go we're more excited than the last time.

This trip will also be a celebration of our older DD's graduation from college! :congrats: And it's her dream to work in WDW in entertainment. (Pixie dust welcome on that point! :magic:)

I love that I have the wonderful Intercot community to share my love for Disney!

:mickey:

ANG
04-29-2013, 08:28 PM
Absolutely not! I think you just appreciate different things as you get older. And you notice things you may not have cared about before.

vamaggie
04-29-2013, 08:38 PM
"old" is a state of mind. I have met many people who are in their 60s who are not "old" and some folks in their 20s who are soooo "old". I see "old" as unwilling to try new things, unwilling to go new places, unwilling to meet new people etc. Luckily, many "old" people avoid WDW.

caryrae
04-29-2013, 09:08 PM
If the Mom thinks 23 is too old for Disney wouldn't the Parks be filled with just kids without parents? Wasn't it Walt the man who built Disneyland say he wanted a place where kids and adults could have fun together?

Keneva
04-29-2013, 09:11 PM
At 53, I'm to old for the tea cup ride....it spins to fast! :ack: Lucky enough, there are plenty of things at WDW to fill that void!:magic:

indytraveler
04-30-2013, 08:59 AM
In my 40's and looking forward to my next trip. My college fr. went on spring break this year. I she was telling everyone she was going. I asked her about it and there were alot of college kids making the trip down. I was kinda surprised but not really.

If you love WDW then you are in love with it forever.

Goofster
04-30-2013, 12:40 PM
Obviously, a sour old bat of a woman...or she has no idea because she's never been there.

I'm 34 and will continue to keep going as long as WDW is around! :mickey:

dixielandings
04-30-2013, 12:45 PM
I would not have anything in common with that lady. I assume a person who would say such a thing would not be very much fun to be with...:(

I've seen 90yo people having a blast at WDW so...I hope I one of them someday.

stephicakes
04-30-2013, 03:08 PM
Too old for Disney??! NEVER.

"FORGET THEM. FORGET THEM ALL. COME WITH ME WHERE YOU'LL NEVER, NEVER HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT GROWN UP THINGS AGAIN." -Peter Pan

:tink:

PETE FROM NYC
05-02-2013, 06:26 PM
My late Grandma was 87 on her last trip to WDW.

gueli
05-03-2013, 02:33 AM
To start, I am and will always be a (very) big Kid.
I attended a school program about bullying. One thing I remember is the counselor bringing up ... 'has anyone told you that you are to old for...' and that kids should not feel pressured because they still like something "childish". I had never thought of it that way, but this brings to mind that saying your too old for something is a form of peer/parental pressure.
I think many of us will never be 'to old for disney'.
I only hope when DD is grown up, she will still want to let me tag along with her and her family. :mickey:

Never grow up.. all the way/
we all need that spark of our inner child/

Have a great day :thumbsup:

minnie04
05-03-2013, 09:26 AM
How can you be too old for a place that makes you feel young at heart every time you go there? :mickey: Thank God my family doesn’t feel this way :D

DonLefNY
05-03-2013, 12:04 PM
I'm 61 and just got back Monday (4/29).

TheVBs
05-03-2013, 01:44 PM
That's just crazy talk! You're never too old for Disney. :mickey:

Of course, you may be getting some biased opinions here. ;)

But, really, one of the things we love about going is that there are all kinds of people there and a huge range of ages.

Hope your daughter's friend finds a way to go!

marlyn
05-03-2013, 11:47 PM
You're never too old!! My 79 year old parents just took my 17 year old twin boys and I to WDW as a high school graduation gift for them. We all had a blast!! My dad rode Everest and the TOT at 79 years of age, and only 1 year after conquering stomach cancer....so yeah, you're never too old!:thumbsup:

My parents are asking when we can go back.....

Mrs Bus Driver
05-04-2013, 03:10 PM
Absolutely not! I think you just appreciate different things as you get older. And you notice things you may not have cared about before.o
I agree, when I was younger just wanted to get on the rides. Now I notice the details and enjoy the atmosphere. Still gotta do the rides. :mickey:

disneymom2000
05-04-2013, 10:15 PM
if there were no people or lines it would mean the place stinks and NOBODY likes it. Those people and lines are there for a reason. :mickey:

Well said. Sometimes I wish for way fewer people but then I think if there were fewer people then there would be less jobs and then less hours to stay open and eventually it would all dry up. So I am happy for the crowds. I just wish some people were nicer when they were there.

hubbyofadisneyholic
05-06-2013, 07:42 PM
For 20 yrs we had tried to get my parents to WDW and they finally agreed to fly down there and meet us in June 2006.
My Dad died of a heart attack in July 2005, he never got there.
It took a lot of coaxing but we got my mother to go thru with the trip in 2006. She made her 1st trip to WDW at age 77 and enjoyed it so much she went back with us again the next year.
She would love to go again, but is just too frail to handle it. :(

When we go next month the ages in our group will range from my 73 yr old mother-in-law to my 23 yr old grad student daughter.
And odds are Gram will have as much fun as anyone.

Age doesn't mean a thing at WDW!!:mickey:

MrPeetrie
05-09-2013, 08:01 AM
Hubbyofadisneyholic, you're situation sounds similar to ours so my heart goes out to you.

For years. We tried to get my parents to join us and they always resisted. In 2002, they were vacationing nearby and we made reservations for them to join us halfway through our stay. As they were driving up from Ft. Lauderdale, my mom said, "Let's just turn around and go back to the breach." But my dad said, "No. They'll just keep bothering us until we go. We'll go. Have a miserable time. And they won't ask again."

Well, they had an AMAZING time. In fact, it was one of the best vacations any of us have had. They couldn't wait to go back next May. Unfortunately, my DW got pregnant with our first child so we canceled.

Wife: "We're having a baby!"
My mom: " Oh my God! I'm so happy for you guys !!!"
Dad: " What happens to the Disney trip?"

We planned on going back in 2004, but my dad was diagnosed with lung cancer and never made it back.

Next year, we plan on taking my mom and sister's family back down. It will be bitter sweet.

another tink
05-09-2013, 09:36 AM
I am going to be 70 in a few days and when my children and grandchildren asked me what I wanted, I said a trip to WDW. Even though I have COPD and arthritis I still want to go! Look out WDW here I come with all my family.
:party::cloud9:

Mrs Bus Driver
05-09-2013, 10:52 AM
I am going to be 70 in a few days and when my children and grandchildren asked me what I wanted, I said a trip to WDW. Even though I have COPD and arthritis I still want to go! Look out WDW here I come with all my family.
:party::cloud9:

You go granny :mickey: I am 55 with pulmonary fibrosis and am going in September with DD and her BF. :D : Plan on riding all those coasters Woo Hoo:party:

KAJUNKING
05-10-2013, 09:03 PM
Obviously, the girls mother has never been there herself. You're never to old to go to disney.

agreed:mickey:

tiggerbuddy
05-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Exactly what I was thinking....:mickey:

To old for Disney may be code for you can't afford it.

LVT
07-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Code for being able to afford it is probable. I do not know any statistics, but from my financial perspective; I believe that the majority of the population in the USA cannot afford it. By that I mean less than 50% can do this.

CuteAsMinnie
07-04-2013, 03:34 AM

Only in their minds. :D

mermaidmarian
07-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Some people are just old at heart. Young at heart people are NEVER "too old" for Disney.

K8screen
07-07-2013, 05:32 PM
A "friend" of mine told me last week his 5 year old was "too mature" for Disney! I wonder if the poor little girl will ever find out what she is missing.

ransam
07-08-2013, 11:45 AM
i turn 50 in September.
I will never ever be too old for Disney.

i don't remember the last time i didn't have a trip planned.
Seems i get home from a trip and the next day i begin to plan another trip.
I was lucky because i started dating a girl 3 years ago or so, we have a son. She already loved Disney and went w/ her family a lot, so i didn't have to sell her.

the funny thing is that we are going on a cruise in December, so when i get back from Disney in September, we will start planning the cruise, so i will not have a trip to disney planned. but in the back of my mind, i'm thinking maybe we can sneak in a day at the park, or maybe i can escape to California for a Disney fix.

You're never too old for disney, never.

brownie
07-08-2013, 12:29 PM
Never too old as far as I'm concerned, even if I get to the age where I yell at the kids to get off the lawn.

Dopey's Girl
07-08-2013, 01:18 PM
Too old, never. At each age I visit, I find new and exciting things to try or do. When I was a kid, I would have never wanted to do the Behind the Seeds tour. I did it as an adult, and loved it. I think each age you bring different goals, or desired experiences with you. It's not about the number you are, but how you chose to experience the trip!

DisMom
07-10-2013, 08:05 PM
I remember on my second trip to WDW we invited a friend along with us. He felt the same way, said he was too old for Disney but decided to go anyways....when first got there he was yelling at me and my husband at the time to "stop being so childish" lol...we laughed at him and said just wait.....sure enough as soon as we got to MK the first day he turned into a running skipping child....had the time of his life. Said he was sorry for ever saying we were too old for Disney. It just takes one trip!:magic:

Arielfan98
07-10-2013, 11:52 PM
Disney is for all ages!

Donald A
07-11-2013, 10:47 AM
My 88 year old father-in-law enjoyed it. He rode soarin and the tower of terror to name a few. If 88 isn't considered old than I don't know what age is considered "old".

Boost
07-21-2013, 07:54 PM
In my opinion, there is no age that makes one too old for WDW. My grandparents took me when in 1971 right after the park opened and I looked forward to family trips afterward.

I worked in Epcot in 1988 and in 1998, I met a great girl who became my wife and we went to the parks whenever we could.

We now have three kids - two boys, 10 and 8 and a daughter, 4 years old. All of them love Disney.

We always look forward to a day in the parks!

lightyearfan
07-23-2013, 01:27 PM
Tell the old bag to get out of the house and live. Doesn't matter your age but how Disney makes you feel. You are never to old.

lol exactly im 46 and dw is 45 i guess were mummies. too old please disney is ageless. we go twice a year, were dvc members and disney cruise whenever fiscally possible.

Victor:mickey:

PS next trip Sept/ 3 day's wdw at okw resort with MNNSHP then its off for a little 3 day disney dream cruise

DISCLAIMER NOT RECOMMEND FOR PEOPLE THAT ARE TOO OLD LOL:mickey:

lightyearfan
07-23-2013, 01:32 PM
i turn 50 in September.
I will never ever be too old for Disney.

i don't remember the last time i didn't have a trip planned.
Seems i get home from a trip and the next day i begin to plan another trip.

are we related? i do the same thing

4disneynuts
07-23-2013, 02:02 PM
Some people just don't see or can't feel the magic :pixie: My DH just turned 50 and I am 48. Going to Disney is what keeps us young. We can act like we are kids there and no one will judge us or think that we are weird for laughing on a flying elephant.:dumbo: TOO OLD? NEVER!!!!

Zawadi
07-23-2013, 02:15 PM
"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional"

The Horned King
07-24-2013, 07:29 AM
There is unfortunately a minority that just don't get Disney! :(

TiggerFan13
07-25-2013, 03:40 PM
My Mom is 75 and just went last year. I just turned 50 yesterday and I will be going in August. I plan to keep going until I can no longer walk, see and hear and even then I might still try and go.:D

DizNut42
07-25-2013, 03:48 PM
Yep - Never too old to visit :mickey: