PDA

View Full Version : fantasy vs wonder

jgt
04-28-2013, 08:11 AM
Could you guys please weigh in on whether there's a significant difference between the Fantasy and the Wonder? I'm hearing that the Fanstasy is much, much nicer so wanted to be sure that I'm comparing apples to apples as I look at cruises for next April. Thanks!

BrerGnat
04-28-2013, 09:13 AM
There are major differences between these two ships. You can't compare them directly. They are two different classes of ship. The Magic and Wonder were the original Disney ships, and are close to 20 years old. The Dream and Fantasy were inaugurated a couple of years ago, are much larger and have very different types of spaces, the water coaster-Aquaduck, different restaurants, different adults only areas, different nighttime shows, different cabin decor, etc. You should spend some time on Disney Cruise Line's site "exploring" the ships.

The Dream only does 3-4 night Bahamas Cruises. The Fantasy only does 7 night Eastern or Western Caribbean cruises (both only out of Port Canaveral). The Wonder and Magic do a larger number of cruises, including Alaska and Europe in addition to coastal and transatlantic cruises to get the ships where they need to be. There are various Ports of Departure.

JMTStone
04-29-2013, 10:32 AM
Nat has great details.

We found that the Magic and Wonder do some less expensive pricing vs Fantasy and Dream.

I've only been on the Magic and Dream. The difference on the ship is the size. The Dream/Fantasy is much bigger and since its so much newer - has many more features.

Considerations:

Room size is about the same but storage on newer ships better

Both have the rotational dining but the Animators Palette is more technology advanced on Dream/Fantasy.

Spa on newer ships better by far. Adult sections on newer ships more compartmentalized.

The kids area on the new ships is huge. I found my (then 10) year old was lost in the space. On the older ships, it seemed I knew the counselors by name and they knew me by name and knew where my child was at all times. On the Dream it was "welcome (scan card), go find your kid". Now that may have changed as we were on the ship soon after they started but it left me feeling.... uncomfortable.

Christine
05-03-2013, 09:28 AM
I will tell you having done the Dream and the Magic and Wonder, the big difference to US is this:

Castaway Cay! Do you want to share the island with 4000 ppl or 2000 ppl? The ships are bigger but the island doesn't grow! We so prefer the Magic and Wonder to the Dream, mainly for that reason and the "intimate" details that we just didn't find on the Dream.

That being said, we are booking on the Fantasy ASAP because I'm a compulsive "collector" and HAVE to sail the whole set! :blush: And I am sure I will love the Fantasy, while still missing the small-ness of the original sister ships.