PDA

View Full Version : more fun for 12 year old boy

VaderGirl
04-26-2013, 09:20 PM
hi!
we r staying at french quarter with r 12 yr old son. we've stayed at carribean beach with him in2009. just wondering if animal kingdoms pool is as fun as french quarters? it looks kinda plain. my son loves to swim & we spend time at hotel swimming alot. which pool do u think is better?:confused:

Strmchsr
04-27-2013, 07:12 AM
They're about the same. Both are fine pools with a slide. The POFQ theme is slightly better, but the AKL pool is a little more fun. There's nothing spectacular about either pool but they're both just fine.

Kairi_7378
04-27-2013, 09:21 AM
I wouldn't pick between these two resorts based on the pools. They are very different resorts and both have things that would make them interesting to a 12-year-old boy. FOFQ is in a more central location which makes it more convenient to get to the parks. It also has the boat to DTD. It is difficult to top the thming at AKL with all of the animals and viewing areas. However, it is in a more remote location. The food options at AKL are amazing. The food court at FOFQ is good but it's a food court.

For us, we would evaluate the resorts based on cost and theming.

faline
04-27-2013, 10:11 AM
Keep in mind that you are not allowed to swim at pools at other resorts. If you are staying at Port Orleans French Quarter, you must use the pool(s) associated with that accommodation. You would need to stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge in order to use the pool there. In that case, you would not be allowed to use the pool at the French Quarter.

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-27-2013, 11:28 AM
If you're staying at POFQ, and like pools I would highly recommend heading over to POR at least a couple of times.

The POFQ pool is good, and centrally located. DD however, liked the POR main pool better, the slide was a bit longer and there is just "more" to the pool.

The great part of either POR or POFQ is that you get to use all of the pools when staying at either resort.

VaderGirl
04-27-2013, 01:32 PM
POFQ looks more exciting, so we'll probably stay there. plus its 2 resorts in one. but the main alligator pool looks more party themed for him. thank you for all ur imput! :thumbsup:

Yo Mickey!
04-28-2013, 11:47 AM
pools are good but the beignets at pofq are worth the stay!

BrerGnat
04-28-2013, 12:04 PM
A 12 year old boy will probably be unimpressed by the POFQ pool, but the one over at POR is pretty good. I loved it when I was a teenager! You can use either pool as a guest of POFQ.

Animal Kingdom's pool is not much better. If you want to blow away your 12 year old son, you'll probably need to book at Yacht or Beach Club so you can use Stormalong Bay.

disney obsessed
04-28-2013, 12:46 PM
I agree that he will not be impressed by either. When my girls were young they thought the big dragon was cool but by the time they were 12 they thought it was "for babies". Haveing the two pools to choose from is a good thing but it is a 10 min walk, so keep that in mind.

You'll have fun no matter where you stay, you'll be at disney world.

faline
04-28-2013, 05:41 PM
pools are good but the beignets at pofq are worth the stay!

I love Port Orleans Riverside but this would not be the reason I'd stay there - just my opinion!!

faline
04-28-2013, 05:42 PM
If you want to blow away your 12 year old son, you'll probably need to book at Yacht or Beach Club so you can use Stormalong Bay.

I agree - best resort pool on property!!

VaderGirl
04-28-2013, 06:41 PM
is boardwalk really big, by the pool area? i dont want it too big where me, hubby & son are all separated. Not sure my son will like the sand bottom, he hates the beach because of sand. also we r going in end of september will it be crowded? thank u all for ur help!:cool:

Strmchsr
04-28-2013, 07:14 PM
is boardwalk really big, by the pool area? i dont want it too big where me, hubby & son are all separated. Not sure my son will like the sand bottom, he hates the beach because of sand. also we r going in end of september will it be crowded? thank u all for ur help!:cool:

Boardwalk's pool area isn't too big. My boys loved the roller coaster themed water slide at BW. They liked Stormalong Bay okay, but weren't big fans of the sand bottom.

End of September isn't too crowded. You won't have any problems with that at all.

VaderGirl
04-28-2013, 08:48 PM
duh, i meant is beach club pool really big not boardwalk,lol im all confused, they all seem amazing. my hubby likes the french quarter, so i'll stick with it this year.
next time around, i'll try a deluxe. it is disney & will be magical anywhere. i hate when i get all OCD about stuff.lol
the french quarter said the pool was open 24 hours, no lifeguard after certain time, but that would be nice since its heated. also the jacuzzi :cloud9:

Strmchsr
04-28-2013, 09:35 PM
duh, i meant is beach club pool really big not boardwalk,lol im all confused, they all seem amazing.

I understand. They can definitely run together! To answer your question - yes, the BC pool is quite large. You'll have a lot of fun at POFQ.

thejens
04-29-2013, 12:12 AM
My boys liked the slide at AKL and also at AKL you can go to the Kidani pool which also has the water spouts area. I agree that by age 12 the slide at POFQ was too tame, but the POR slide was good. My sons like the water boats/jet ski things which is offered at POR and POFQ. Also he might like fishing? But the animals at AKL are awesome also. I love both resorts. :)

BrerGnat
04-29-2013, 08:35 AM
On this trip, take some time to visit some other resorts to check out what the pool areas are like (you can walk around, just not swim in them).

Beach Club/Yacht Club pool is very large and sprawling. But, it's like a mini water park! There is so much to do. The sand is not everywhere, for what it's worth. There are only a few areas where it's at the bottom. And, it's not like beach sand. My older son hates beach sand but his favorite part of the BC pool was the sand bottom part! It's almost more like a very smooth gravel. It's heavy, like little tiny round pellets. It doesn't stick to your body at all, and when you walk on it, it massages your feet. :cloud9: This pool has a lazy river section, a whirlpool, the best slide of all the WDW resorts, waterfalls, little grottos, hot tubs within the pool...it's amazing. You can see most of the BC pool from the walkway surrounding it.

The Boardwalk pool, by comparison, is tiny. The slide just goes around and around in about 3 large corkscrew twists. Makes me dizzy.