PDA

View Full Version : Flowers and Food and sunny days solo trip

Katzateer
04-26-2013, 09:57 AM
Just back from a wonderful short trip - went for the flowers and the food. The weather was BEAUTIFUL! I think of my many trips, this was one of the best! I will post a food report under dining so on to the flowers and fun!:mickey:

I arrived on Monday- smooth flight out of Philly- to RAIN in Orlando:(. It had poured on Saturday and rained on and off at WDW Monday.

Checked into All Star Music- what a let down after being at AoA the last 2 visits. My room was what I expected - no problems. I asked for a 3rd floor room since they are normally more quiet. I was in the Rock section and did not hear anyone outside at night and only heard the water in the room next door a few times. Sometimes the values can get very noisy with kids and adults yelling. The resort was not very crowded until Wednesday and the night I was packing to leave. Large groups of dance or cheer kids were checking in. The only other groups the park days were schools on end-of-school year group trips. No problems with them- well supervised.

Katzateer
04-26-2013, 10:09 AM
After unpacking, took bus to MK and launch to Poly. Had great meal at Kona, took monorail to GF and listened to band in lobby and soaked up the loveliness of it. Watched Wishes from Narcossee's and took a bus to DD.

Up early next morning - early opening at EPCOT. Walked around EPCOT taking pictures of all the flowers and soaking up the beautiful morning. Lots of sunshine. Got breakfast at France and after I visited all the displays went to Festival Central. A workshop on container gardening was filling up so joined the group. Met some nice ladies and we talked while waiting and sat together for the presentation. Got to keep a plant and the cute pot. Poor little plant, I carried it around with me in my bag for 10 hours and it seems to be doing ok now that it s home.

Katzateer
04-26-2013, 10:19 AM
It was a little eerie to be in the Wonders of Life Pavilion after all these years but it seems to be a perfect spot for all the displays and lectures.

Walked around the rest of the World Showcase and tryed samples from some of the food booths. Great food!

After seeing everything I wanted in EPCOT took monorail to MK. Boy, was that a shock. EPCOT was very manageable but MK was so crowded it was hard to move around.

Got a fast pass for Little Mermaid, went to Haunted Mansion. Love the new Tangled area but it looks like just a stroller parking area- I was expecting more of a retreat from the heat resting area. Wanted to see it at night but did not make it over to that area.

Katzateer
04-26-2013, 10:33 AM
Could not resist getting a new Dumbo popcorn holder. They give them out wrapped in plastic and give you the popcorn in the paper popcorn containers without putting them in the holders. Nice for traveling but seems to defeat the original design of them.

Found a spot in from of castle for Electrical Light parade. About 4 layers back from street, and miracles of miracles, NO one in front of me stood up when parade started so had good view. Parade looks great!!:cloud9:All the lights working and floats fresh and glowing. A few changes but looking good!

Saw castle show for first time - very nice! A good place to see it - right in front of the castle.But it can be seen all the way down to the train station. If you have the time, I would try it both positions. Now that I have seen it closeup I think my favorite spot would be at train station balcony.

Wishes was great but DONT try to watch it right in front of the castle. I was thinking the fireworks would be off to the side a little, but they were directly behind the castle and you could not see a lot of the fireworks- just the edges of them. Got to see Tinkerbell closeup which is always exciting.

Walked down to train station and watched castle show and parade again. Back to room for a good sleep!

Katzateer
04-26-2013, 11:02 AM
AK was my plan for the morning. As a family, we don't spend much time at this park. Another beautiful morning. First stop, fast pass for safari then I walked the nature trail. Lots of birds in the aviary section to see. "Baby" guerilla (3 years old) was out and playing.

The safari was the best one I have been on. Saw lots of animals, the bridge is working again (which startled me since I wasn't expecting that) and they have dropped the spiel about Red which was a welcomed addition. I got to see 3 lions which was very cool. The male was in his usual spot but he was awake and watching 2 females. One of the females was ticked off at the other and she was ready to get into a spat with her. She even opened her mouth like she was going to growl or roar but I didn't hear anything since we were driving away at that
point.

A giraffe was running at full speed across a wide area. The driver said they do that when they first come out of the nightly enclosure. Then it took off and ran some more - looked like it was having a good time. Very cool to see it running.

Saw the Wonders of Flight and enjoyed that show more than I thought I would - lots of comic relief between the 2 cast members.

Lunch at Flametree was yummy!:thumbsup:

Nemo and The Lion King were great! On to the studios and Beauty and the Beast.

Over to EPCOT and visited with Meg.

Off Kilter was fine. Just sang 4 songs and the show ended, one of the guys said "we're done" the second the last song ended and started unplugging the instrument. Are they getting bored being at EPCOT? Maybe time for a new act.

Took boat to Beaches and Cream. Fun place to go on a solo trip- sat at counter and you don't get bored- plenty to watch. A manager made a soda creme (i think that is what she called it) to show a new employee what it was. Then she poured some into glasses and gave us a sample. Didn't like it that much- not a big fan of seltzer
water.

Took bus to MK and watched castle show and Wishes.

Launch to GF since Water pageant was happening and fun to pass in water. Back to
hotel. Lobby and food court filling up with lots of teens group arriving.

Next morning up and packed. Magical Express took about an hour to get to airport. Easy trip home. No delays and airport was running smooth with check in and flights.

Back to reality and work today. Looking forward to May Philly meet to keep a little Disney magic going!:mickey::thumbsup:

DisneyDINK
04-26-2013, 11:07 AM
I just deleted and reposted so your (Katzateer) posts wouldn't be broken up.

Thanks for the report!

I'm trying my first solo trip in September. I doubt my pace will be as relaxed as yours is. I like how you're soaking in the ambiance unlike me, dashing from ride to ride.

I'll watch for more posts.

SBETigg
04-26-2013, 11:38 AM
What a fun time! Solo trips can be so relaxing and a good change of pace. The food booths had some really tasty offerings. Sorry that your resort was a bit of a let down but so it goes, I guess. I'm glad it didn't really impact your good time.

BriarRose0708
04-26-2013, 04:38 PM
How wonderful you were able to do so much, relax when you wanted to and enjoy a special weekend on your own! Loved reading your thoughts and thanks for sharing them!

faline
04-26-2013, 04:49 PM
You're really making me miss seeing the Flower & Garden Festival this year!! Sounds like it was a wonderfully relaxed trip!

MOJoe
04-26-2013, 05:01 PM
Sounds like something was off with Off Kilter. I sat through a 20 minute set a month ago. It was great, a flawless performance, complete with some north of the border humor.

Maybe one of the guys was not well, or some equipment was not working. Can't imagine Canada without them.

Pally
04-26-2013, 06:44 PM
Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. I agree with op that it must have been a really off day for Off Kilter. Seen them many times and not once was I disappointed. Too bad, they are great.

I love the Flower & Garden Festival. It has a been a while since I been have there. It sounded great especially the addition of the food booths.

T-Belle
04-26-2013, 07:33 PM
Sounds like you had a wonderful time. I took my 1st solo back in March and had such a good time.

January-2007
04-26-2013, 11:45 PM
Thanks for reporting! That's so cool that you got to go into the Wonders of Life Pavilion, I miss it.

vizsla
04-27-2013, 05:12 AM
Thanks for the report.