PDA

View Full Version : New England area

Mrs Bus Driver
04-25-2013, 11:54 AM
Recently I was diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis. The only treatment is a lung transplant which isn't an option for me. My DD wants to move to the New England area because that is where her and her fiance want to live and she wants me to go with them. I plan on giving them the down payment on a house there. But since I know nothing of the area was wondering what places are best to live. Any suggestions?

faline
04-25-2013, 12:02 PM
New England covers quite a lot of territory. Have you even narrowed it down to a state? New England ranges from rural to urban with a variety of urban centers, suburbs and rural areas. Weather can vary as well. You will get snow regardless of where you are in New England but winters can be milder in some locations than others.

Do you want to be near the ocean? Or in the mountains? Do you want public transportation?

BrerGnat
04-25-2013, 12:18 PM
That depends on what your criteria for "best place to live in" means.

Will your daughter and her fiance be working? Job availability in their fields would be a major driving factor in narrowing down a location.

Is weather an issue for your lung disease? Would humidity help? Would extreme cold and dryness in the winter be a problem? What about allergies (pollens, etc.) Answers to these questions will help narrow down whether you should look near the coast, or more inland.

What is the budget for a house? Housing prices can vary quite dramatically all over New England. It's a large area.

I would imagine that Massachusetts or Connecticut would probably be good places to start, due to the rather large amount and variety of employment opportunities there. You can also consider New Jersey or Upstate New York for similar reasons (easy access to NYC).

Mrs Bus Driver
04-25-2013, 06:40 PM
sorry guess I should have been more specific. They are looking to live in Connecticut. Mountains would be nice, would like to visit the ocean but wouldn't want to live there. He works from home while DD usually drives (trucks, buses). Thank you for responding :mickey:

SBETigg
04-25-2013, 07:28 PM
I live in Simsbury, love it. I have conservation lands around me and I live at the edge of a mountain ridge (Low, some people would call CT mountains hills), lots of wildlife. I'm about fifteen minutes from anything, but close to great medical care, airport, shops, and schools.

The greater Hartford area is gorgeous with a good range of different kinds of communities, some more affordable than others, some very affordable. Simsbury has very high property taxes, great schools. But nearby Granby also has good schools and lower property taxes. If you wanted something a little more urban or upscale, we have that, too. It just depends on what you're looking for. I'm originally from MA and I love it there, too. Parts of CT closer to NYC are more expensive. There are a few CT people here to help with any questions.

Mrs Bus Driver
04-27-2013, 10:19 AM
Thank you Simsbury and Hartford sound beautiful. This gives me a good starting point. I love to do research on the computer, then when we get there we will have a few places to look at. :mickey: