PDA

View Full Version : New Rules on Door Decorations

Ed
04-25-2013, 07:29 AM
DCL has revised their rules regarding door decorations and over-the-door organizers and instituted a penalty for violators. ONLY magnetic decorations may be placed on doors (no tape, glue or removable gel-type hooks or clips such as 3M Command products), and the frequently-suggested over-the-door hanging organizers are now a no-no due to these items damaging the painted surface of doors.

DCL will be placing the following letter in staterooms in the near future:

Dear Guests,

We are glad that you have joined us aboard the Disney (Choose Ship)!

As you may be aware, it is important to us to keep our facilities looking their best for all our guests. As part of our commitment to this area of focus, we ask that you do not affix anything to your stateroom door utilizing tape or any adhesive, including removable gel adhesives. We have found that these adhesives damage the finish on our stateroom doors; therefore we ask that you limit door decoration to those of the magnetic variety.

Concurrently, we ask that guests not use over-the-door hanging organizers as they have been found to scratch and/or disfigure stateroom doors and trim.

Guests found with damaged doors are assessed a $100 damage fee per incident to cover the cost of repairs.

Your attention to this matter will greatly assist us in keeping our shipboard environment looking ship-shape. Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact Guest Services, Deck 3 Mid-ship.

If interested, magnetic door decorations are available for purchase in our merchandise area. For your convenience, magnetic strips are also available at Guest Services.

We appreciate your cooperation and hope you have an enjoyable sailing.

Sincerely,

:captain:

faline
04-25-2013, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the update, Ed. These restrictions certainly seem reasonable.

DizneyRox
04-25-2013, 11:52 AM
$100!!! OUCH!

Never bothered much with the door decorations though, no real biggie. I did notice quite a few folks seem to go over the top.

BrerGnat
04-25-2013, 12:35 PM
$100!!! OUCH!

Never bothered much with the door decorations though, no real biggie. I did notice quite a few folks seem to go over the top.

Honestly, it serves people right if they damage the ship.

I think the door decorations are tacky, personally. Think it takes away from the upscale look of the ship. To each his own, though.

Christine
04-25-2013, 12:52 PM
Good for them! I'm glad - I don't think ppl should tear stuff up either, and those 3M hooks rarely come off clean.

luvdiznee
04-25-2013, 12:58 PM
Good for Disney! ;)

Christine
05-03-2013, 08:41 AM
Just got off the Wonder yesterday. It's not being enforced, sadly. Saw LOTS of scrapbook paper decorations scotch taped to doors all week. :(

Melanie
05-03-2013, 09:16 AM
Just got off the Wonder yesterday. It's not being enforced, sadly. Saw LOTS of scrapbook paper decorations scotch taped to doors all week. :(

Did you get the notice, Christine? If so, that's something that drives me bonkers about Disney. It's frustrating that they don't enforce their own rules in certain situations.

Christine
05-03-2013, 09:25 AM
Did you get the notice, Christine? If so, that's something that drives me bonkers about Disney. It's frustrating that they don't enforce their own rules in certain situations.

I truly don't know if there was a notice. DD and her friend we invited grabbed the navigators and all the papers that day and every day without me seeing.

Hopefully the notices are not available yet and this was still a "forgiveable" offense. Because I too hate when they don't step up to their own policies.

GMRO
05-27-2013, 08:41 PM
Just got off he DREAM 5/16. Wife and I walked all over the ship. And the door damage was very noticeable. And we saw many hanging heavy things on doors etc.

We made sure all our door art was magnetic only.

Shame the DCL has this issue with passengers going overboard with decorations. As well as not enforcing their own rules.

Oh well...least some of us care enough to not deface/damage property.

Regards,
GMRO

2Epcot
05-28-2013, 12:06 AM
Seems like the fines would be enough to cover the cost of someone enforcing the policy. Probably would end up being a hefty profit from the sounds of the problem.

DonLefNY
05-28-2013, 11:37 AM
Honestly, it serves people right if they damage the ship.

I think the door decorations are tacky, personally. Think it takes away from the upscale look of the ship. To each his own, though.

I agree.

Christine
05-28-2013, 04:05 PM
I wholeheartedly agree. I think it takes away from the pristine ocean liner look to have a quilted door hanger that says "the Connors Comfy Cabin" or such nonsense. And some go SO overboard with ribbons, antenna balls, stickers, scrapbook paper with collages, etc.-- it's like a teenager's room.

Not to mention the damage it causes to the paint or facing.

I very much hope that they start enforcing those fines.

BrerGnat
05-29-2013, 08:29 AM
I wish Disney would just enact a "NO DECORATIONS" policy and be done with it.

The argument that "our decorations help us/our kids find our door" are nonsense. You still have a room number. Just like at a hotel. No one at hotels hangs stuff all over their doors. Can't you just remember your room number like you have to at every other hotel?

We saw a door decoration that was just a collage of photos of two guys with CM's from every cruise they ever went on. In the middle, was a blank photo, with the wording "who will be our favorite crew member on this cruise?" It was SO tacky...

Melanie
05-29-2013, 08:32 AM
Sounds like everyone is trying to one up the other.

It wouldn't even occur to me to decorate our door. :shrug:

BrerGnat
05-29-2013, 08:46 AM

It's something that the "other" discussion board is HUGE into and promotes heavily. :thedolls:

Melanie
05-29-2013, 09:23 AM
It's something that the "other" discussion board is HUGE into and promotes heavily. :thedolls:

Well, those folks ARE into one upping each other, so I get it now. :thedolls:

Mickey'sGirl
05-29-2013, 10:33 AM

That's what I was just thinking! I don't need more stuff to take with me in my suitcase (though we may take a small tree for our Christmas 2014 cruise)!

Mendelson
05-30-2013, 11:56 AM
I have to say that I kind of liked this on the cruise we just finished, our first.

Wouldn't personally do it, but it added a nice splash to the otherwise mundane hallways. My 2.5-yo son particularly liked one door and when the kind older couple staying there saw him for the second time admiring a particular item with several character depictions on it, they gave it to him! He carried it around for a long time and it's now on our fridge at home, as a nice reminder.

Christine
05-30-2013, 03:26 PM
I blame Pinterest! :thumbsup:

DVC2004
05-30-2013, 04:39 PM
LOL I saw this before on past cruises. The last one we took in 2012 on the Dream it was really rampant. To each his own but I agree, not if it does damage to anything. Personally, I don't have the time, energy or effort to make my door look like the kindergarten craft wall. I think Disney does a fine job decorating the ships and the atmosphere is upscale.

DonLefNY
06-18-2013, 01:24 PM
I just returned from a seven day cruise on the Norwegian Dawn and did not see one door decorated. Never heard anyone saying they could not find their cabin.