PDA

View Full Version : Hospice time

Disney4us2
04-24-2013, 05:34 PM
My brother and I had a meeting with the social worker and 2 of his doctors.

It is time for hospice. We talked about home hospice, which I am all for. We asked my dad if he wanted to go home to pass and he said no.

I also aksed Jessica and she would feel uncomfortable with him passing at home.

So now to either stay in the hospital or find a hospice. I don't want him to suffer with this process.

He is still aware of everything and able to communicate with us. He just keeps asking us to let him go. We tell him it is ok to go and it is up to him, his body and God as to the time.

T-Belle
04-24-2013, 05:39 PM
Marci~ How difficult this must be for you and your family. I'm sending you prayers and pixie dust.

PirateLover
04-24-2013, 06:03 PM
Home hospice can be very, very difficult. It's almost always more overwhelming than you expect. That being said, my family did it with my grandmom and one of my grandpops. If you can find a good center, though, I'd get him in there, especially if he doesn't care about being home to pass. Unfortunately not all places are the same, but there are good ones out there, and what a blessing they are. My prayers are with you.

Kairi_7378
04-24-2013, 07:28 PM
Marci, have you spoken to a social worker at the hospital? They may be able to direct you to a place that meets your Dad's and your family's needs.

It's been about a year since my husband's grandfather went into hospice. He started out at home and after a week, went to a full care facility. He passed away within a few hours of admission. DH's grandmother was very thankful for the compassionate and capable care he received there.

It's a tough time, praying for you!

Disney4us2
04-24-2013, 07:45 PM
We did talk with the social worker. After talking to my dad and my DD. Home hospice will not happen.

Jessica would be "too creeped out" and uncomfortable. At this time, I really have to keep her needs above mine.

I have been his caregiver, physically for the past 5 to 6 years. He wasn't really bad up until the last 2-3 years. He was fairly independant. He even went on his Laughlin trip in January. I just feel so useless now that I don't have him to care for. Now is the time for Jessica and I to make our life with just the two of us and the dog.

disney obsessed
04-24-2013, 09:50 PM
Hospice is a great thing.

God bless you all.

kakn7294
04-25-2013, 12:16 AM
Check with the social worker again. You may qualify for in-hospital hospice and many long-term facilities will also accept hospice patients. Just be sure that any facility that you choose understands your dad's wishes and does not transfer him back to the hospital when his condition deteriorates. Sending pixie dust to you! It's never an easy decision even when it's the best decision.

cer
04-25-2013, 07:19 AM
Hospice is a great thing.

God bless you all.

This.

BrerGnat
04-25-2013, 08:09 AM
Sorry you are going through this Marci. I can understand your daughter's reaction, and I hope you find a nice facility for your dad soon.

Tinksalot
04-25-2013, 08:29 AM
This has to be a very hard time for you and your family. My brother died 5 years ago of colon cancer, and as other posters have said Hospice was great. My brother chose to pass at home. As nice as that was for him to be in his own home, it was very hard on the family.
I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

minnie04
04-25-2013, 09:37 AM
I just feel so useless now that I don't have him to care for. Now is the time for Jessica and I to make our life with just the two of us and the dog.

Don’t ever feel like you are "useless". I'm sure your father is so grateful to have you there taking care of him. I would say make the arrangements he is asking for and spend as much time with him as you can. Spend time talking and laughing and reliving old memories. Things maybe you didn’t have time to do when you were so busy taking care of his needs. Make this time about just being there.
I have a friend that went through this with a good friend of hers. She spent so much time trying to figure out what to do to help him that now she wishing she would have just sat with him and laughed and cried and said good-bye, like everyone one else got to do..
We are all praying for you and your father, may he be at peace when his time comes.

princessgirls
04-25-2013, 10:42 AM
May God give you the strength you need during this very difficult time.

You are in my prayers Marci and family.

Julie:mickey:

laprana
04-25-2013, 10:59 AM
I'm so very sorry you and your family are going through this. I'm keeping you all in my thoughts and sending prayers your way for strength and peace for all of you. Your dad is very lucky to have you in his corner through all of this. :hug:

DonLefNY
04-25-2013, 01:30 PM
We've used hospice both ways. The hospital was much more comfortable with the medical staff there 24/7.

At home we were often waiting for a call back.

DVC2004
04-26-2013, 01:45 PM
I am sorry. :( I will be thinking and praying for all of you.