PDA

View Full Version : Hummingbirds

GA girl
04-17-2013, 10:33 PM
I cleaned and filled the hummingbird feeders over the weekend. I have 4 small feeders that are mounted on the fence post around our back yard. Each day I have noticed the nectar going down slowly but have not seen any Hummingbirds yet. We have plenty of Cardinal some Blue Jays and small Finches.
After I came home from work tonight one of the Hummingbird feeders was completely empty. When I walked out on the porch to check the other feeders I found a squirrel with both hands around the feeder drinking his belly full of the nectar! I ran back in and grabbed my camera and took several pictures. He was so cute.
I guess I still have to wait for the Hummingbirds.

MNNHFLTX
04-18-2013, 12:22 AM
Oh wow, I did not know squirrels would do this. How strange! You would think it would give them a belly ache. Did the squirrels stagger around later in a sugar stupor?

We have loads of hummingbirds come through this time of year as they migrate north. I have never see a squirrel imbibing from one of my feeders though.

Katzateer
04-18-2013, 08:13 AM
My hummingbird feeders have not attracted squirrels in my yard but they destroy my other feeders.

I also put out grape jelly, oranges, and meal worms, hoping to attract blue birds and orioles and the squirrels don't bother any of this feeders either.

Can't wait until the butterflies and hummingbirds are here!!