PDA

View Full Version : Free Advice.

cer
04-16-2013, 08:13 AM
I would not recommend purchasing any Samsung appliance.

(My personal experience is with a dishwasher and refrigerator both of which were purchased new in Jan 2011.)

You're welcome.

BrerGnat
04-16-2013, 08:23 AM
Yeah, I've heard that too. However, I will argue that pretty much ALL appliances nowadays are "disposable", so I don't spend too much on any of them.

Melanie
04-16-2013, 08:36 AM
We have a Samsung washer and dryer that we purchased new last summer when we moved, and I LOVE them. They've totally changed my laundry experience. My sons also have Samsung TVs in their rooms, and no problems so far. <knock wood>

cer
04-16-2013, 08:53 AM
We have a Samsung washer and dryer that we purchased new last summer when we moved, and I LOVE them. They've totally changed my laundry experience. My sons also have Samsung TVs in their rooms, and no problems so far. <knock wood>

Melanie, I wish you nothing but happiness with your washer and dryer. (Our Samsung TV has been fine, but after this mess with our dishwasher and refrigerator, I don't think we will go back to Samsung.)

It is just so frustrating. We updated our appliances (which were work horses for 15 years) only to get into something that can't operate 2-1/2 years without problems.

It's just not right. :(

BrerGnat
04-16-2013, 09:12 AM

Well, Mel, good luck on the TV's. We have two Samsung TV's and BOTH have broken! The first one, our main TV, was purchased in 2007 and broke two years later. My dad and son (the electrical nerds) fixed it by replacing some capacitors that had burned out. Good as new, but now the inside circuit board looks like a 6th grade science fair project. :D 4 years later, it's still going strong, though!

We bought our second Samsung TV when we moved here, for our basement. It cost about a third of what we paid for our first, larger TV. I just noticed a few days ago, a dark line running down the screen on the left side. It's not THAT noticeable, but I can't say I'm surprised. We don't care enough about that TV to do anything about fixing it.

I am on my third Samsung cell phone in less than 2 years. Both the previous two ended up bricked, but that has been linked to software issues from AT&T, which have been fixed by updates.

Samsung products have a habit of quitting JUST after the warranty period expires.

I would never buy a major applicance through Samsung, mainly because I have found out that there are VERY few authorized repair locations in the US and they charge a LOT of money to fix things. Also, it's hard to find local repairmen who are familiar with Samsung applicances, since they are rather new to the game (washers, dryers, kitchen appliances).

All that said, though, even with the problems I'v had, I am still loyal to Samsung because they do make superior (IMO) products. Our TVs have amazing displays, and my Galaxy SII is the best cell phone I've ever used.

I can deal with "issues" if I am getting a superior experience as a user for the most part.

We had to buy a Washer/Dryer when we moved here, and after much consideration, went with Whirlpool. Honestly, it was because the woman who helped us at Lowe's told us point blank that was the most reliable brand these days, and the only brand that they rarely end up having to replace or service through extended warranty plans. Her own set of the same model had been going strong for over 8 years with no issues. She talked me out of both Samsung and LG washers and dryers...

Melanie
04-16-2013, 09:22 AM
It is what it is. For now, we're happy. Haven't had any issues so far, but of course with the washer/dryer, we're only a year in. The televisions we've had for almost 4 years and no problems at all.

disneymom15
04-16-2013, 09:48 AM
We have Samsung washer/dryer and fridge. We've had them for about 1 1/2 years, and so far no problems.

Ian
04-16-2013, 09:59 AM
All appliances these days are garbage. They're cobbled together with chewing gum and chicken wire and assembled with the intention that they last only long enough to get out of the warranty period.

In fact, it's not just electronics that's junk. I bought an expensive home office chair a few months ago from a major home appliance chain. I used it for about two months and then the metal that holds the chair the base literally just sheared in half and the entire top of the chair fell off.

It really is a shame the absolute trash that's peddled on American consumers these days.

Disney4us2
04-16-2013, 10:03 AM
Oh no....I am posting this from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2. So far so good. Glad I got the extended warranty. Still saving up for an iPad mini.

buzznwoodysmom
04-16-2013, 10:19 AM
We have a Samsung refrigerator/freezer, the one that has the french door refrigerator at the top and the freezer drawer at the bottom. We have had it for over 5 years now and have had no issues at all.

princessgirls
04-16-2013, 10:36 AM
Don't you love it when you need to buy a new appliance, and the salesperson says to you...

"Oh, you've had your current dryer for 20 years". "I wouldn't expect anymore than 7 out of this model". They just don't make things like they used too.

Sad.

I've experienced it too. New Refrigerator that we purchased needed repairs three years in, old one that was left in the house, that we use as an extra downstairs, still going strong.

We are paying more for the bad stuff they are selling these days too! It's NOT FAIR!!!!
Julie:mickey:

cer
04-16-2013, 11:07 AM
We have a Samsung refrigerator/freezer, the one that has the french door refrigerator at the top and the freezer drawer at the bottom. We have had it for over 5 years now and have had no issues at all.

Mine is leaking inside the unit - has a pool of water sitting in the bottom of the refrigerator under the big drawer.

Kind of disheartening when you can google the problem and see multiple folks out there with the same complaint/issue. :(

BrerGnat
04-16-2013, 12:17 PM
Mine is leaking inside the unit - has a pool of water sitting in the bottom of the refrigerator under the big drawer.

Kind of disheartening when you can google the problem and see multiple folks out there with the same complaint/issue. :(

This same thing happened with the refrigerator we had in our old apartment. It was a GE, though.

The truth is, all the appliance companies have quality control issues. Samsung, however, seems to be the worst offender at this. Most of their stuff is very good, but they seem to have an exhorbitant number of "lemons" that get by.

PirateLover
04-16-2013, 03:37 PM
I feel like it's the luck of the draw with a lot of technology these days... you can get a good product of you could get the lemon, and it seems like more people are getting lemons these days.

That being said, my brother has had a Samsung flat screen for 5 years, we've had ours 4 years. We also have a Samsung BluRay player that is about 3 years old, and have never had a problem with any device. I live in an apartment that provides appliances so I haven't been in the market for anything else.

Sony is the brand I tend to stay away from lately. My parents had major issues with a fairly new TV, and the first BluRay player we bought was Sony and had to go back right away because it was a faulty piece of junk.

BrerGnat
04-16-2013, 06:39 PM
Sony is the brand I tend to stay away from lately. My parents had major issues with a fairly new TV, and the first BluRay player we bought was Sony and had to go back right away because it was a faulty piece of junk.

I heard that! Our first tv was a Sony, and it was a piece of junk!

We have a Sony Blu Ray player and I HATE it. It's so annoying. It turns itself on randomly. One night, DH and I were in bed, and we heard this 1920's music blaring downstairs. Creeped us totally out. Turns out, our Blu Ray player had decided to turn on and was on the home screen of the Boardwalk Empire show we had just watched earlier that evening.

However, the thing was SO cheap, like $80 at Costco, and I just don't care that much to deal with returning it and finding another one. They ALL had their fair share of negative reviews when we were in the market for one, so I just went with the cheapest one!

magicofdisney
04-16-2013, 07:12 PM
I feel the same way about GE products. I realize builder spec models are nothing to brag about but we upgraded our dishwasher and it lasted all of 3 years. Our side by side refrigerator had a thermostat go out at 4 years. Fortunately, I found a parts website with videos and was able to replace that myself.

The manufacturers have caught on to us. We bought their products and kept them for a few decades. Well how will they ever turn a profit if we don't replace our items? Now, they're making us replace them with limited life spans. :mad:

Fortunately for us, our Samsung TVs are holding up. However, they're only 5 and 3 years old, respectively.

BigB
04-16-2013, 09:58 PM
My Dad has a refrigerator (French door fridge over freezer) and once every 18 months we have to replace the cooling fan inside the fridge. Its a $60 part online and about an hour of your day to fix but it is always happening. The cooling coils freeze up and cause the fan to hit the ice and eventually burn out. Other than that its not that bad.

DVC2004
04-17-2013, 12:39 PM
We had a Toshiba Regza flat screen LCD TV in our bedroom. It was just under 2 years old and it started losing picture. There were lines and discoloration and eventually the picture just went out. Of course, it was not under warranty any more. My husband called them and looked into ways to fix it, but it made more sense just to get a new tv. I think when I bought it , it was $700. I ended up getting a larger, off brand TV for $350 and it looks and works much better than that one. The worst part is that this was not only the newest TV in our home, but also the least used! It was on maybe one hour each evening. Other TVS are Sharp , Samsung , Sony- not a problem with any. I won't buy a Toshiba anything ever again.

Janmac
04-17-2013, 07:07 PM
After a rash of appliance problems I feel that way about Whirlpool. Yuck. Wouldn't take one if you paid me.

My microwave works now but Whirlpool sent out techs so many times they would have been money ahead to have replaced it. All the parts were from China - weeks waiting for each "fix". Finally replaced the whole control panel - no idea what that cost - but it now works. Hopefully all the cracks in the handle don't mean that's coming off soon . . .

My first Maytag washer lasted over 30 years. Next one lasted 20. They all seem to be energy efficient (locking lid, 90 min cycles, etc.) now so I bought the simplest I could find - GE. I'm not enamored of it but I keep using it. Unless I could find an older washer with many years left on it, I doubt I can do any better.

:(

Jan

MNNHFLTX
04-17-2013, 07:29 PM
We had to buy a Washer/Dryer when we moved here, and after much consideration, went with Whirlpool. Honestly, it was because the woman who helped us at Lowe's told us point blank that was the most reliable brand these days, and the only brand that they rarely end up having to replace or service through extended warranty plans. Her own set of the same model had been going strong for over 8 years with no issues. She talked me out of both Samsung and LG washers and dryers...It's funny the conflicting information out there about such things. We bought a Samsung washer three years ago and avoided the Whirlpool ones because of all the bad reviews I read (and our previous washer before that was a Whirlpool and overflowed numerous times despite being "repaired"). We liked the Samsung washer so well that 1-1/2 years ago we bought a Samsung dryer (both machines are front loaders). We've only good experiences with these appliances (knock on wood for me too). That said, all the appliances in my kitchen are from the Fridgedaire Gallery collection and they're doing pretty well too.

Melanie
04-17-2013, 07:32 PM
We liked the Samsung washer so well that 1-1/2 years ago we bought a Samsung dryer (both machines are front loaders). We've only good experiences with these appliances (knock on wood for me too).

That's right! We both have Samsung. Remember we sang the tune together? :D

MNNHFLTX
04-18-2013, 09:29 AM
That's right! We both have Samsung. Remember we sang the tune together? :D
I remember. :D

Just curious-- does your washer play the whole song? Mine only plays the first stanza. The dryer plays the whole thing though.

(sorry--:offtopic:)

Melanie
04-18-2013, 09:35 AM
I remember. :D

Just curious-- does your washer play the whole song? Mine only plays the first stanza. The dryer plays the whole thing though.

(sorry--:offtopic:)

I have it turned off on my dryer. Obviously I don't care if clean clothes sit in my dryer, but I don't want wet clothes to sit in my washer. lol! But, it goes on and on when it plays on the washer, so I'm assuming it's the whole song.

Sorry - :offtopic: :D

tjstrike
04-20-2013, 05:44 PM
I think the trend here is : consider yourself lucky if you buy ANY major appliance or electronics and it lasts over 7-8 years !!