PDA

View Full Version : WDW at the end of August?

azcavalier
04-15-2013, 09:23 AM
Our school district is building a new high school, because the old one collapsed under the snow load of snowpocalypse two years ago. It should be completed this summer, and they will be moving into the new building. To accommodate this, our school year will not begin until September 4th. As we're looking at the calendar, trying to figure out what to do with our kids, we realized, "DisneyWorld!" This gives us an opportunity to take our two oldest (8th and 11th grades) without taking them out of school, but still avoiding huge crowds, as its our understanding that regardless of the holiday weekend, it's still a good time to go, because most of the rest of the country is just starting school, and most parents won't pull their kids for that first couple of weeks.

Is that an accurate assessment? Or are we off-base? Is that a good time to go?

We're also hoping for free dining, but i'm not holding my breath.

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-15-2013, 09:50 AM
We've been the last two weeks of August a number of times, and will be there again this year.

It is a pretty good time to go. You're right that crowds are starting to go down, as schools start-up again. Crowds are still there, but nothing like the summer at all. Busy (as always), but not crazy in the least.

It will be hot (as you know), but again, nothing you can't deal with.

All in all, not a bad time to go at all!

mgmnut
04-15-2013, 10:20 AM
We went at the end of Aug last year and thought it was a great time to go crowd level wise, very manageable. We are going again this year although about a week and a half earlier than last year. I hope we still have good luck with the crowd level.

It is hot!!... but we don't really mind the heat and we take full advantage of air conditioned attractions and stores.

tiggerbuddy
04-15-2013, 03:08 PM
Thats an understatement....You will melt...We've done it several times...

It is hot!!...

azcavalier
04-15-2013, 03:41 PM
Thats an understatement....You will melt...We've done it several times...

It is hot!!...

We've been in September a few times, and October more than once. The last time we were there in October, they had record highs in the mid-to-high 90's. It *was* hot, but we survived. And all we remember is the fun!

mechanic
04-15-2013, 03:47 PM
Great time to go. Tour groups mostly gone, southern schools have mostly all started, and substantial room discounts.

tjstrike
04-16-2013, 01:00 AM
:fan: July and August are the hottest months of the year, so be prepared to melt. 100% humidity

BrerGnat
04-16-2013, 08:48 AM
We'll be there in mid August. I know it will be hot, but it will ALSO be hot and humid here at home in VA, and I'd much rather be at WDW. ;)

We are planning a very different kind of trip this time...little park time, LOTS of waterpark and pool time! We've "been there done that" as far as the parks are concerned, and we might pop in in the evenings a few times to ride some favorites, but we are mostly going just to get away for a week.

I tend to like the end of August, crowd wise. It will be hurricane season, so you have to be prepared for some potentially very rainy or windy days. However, those tend to have the effect of actually cooling things down, so I say bring it! :thumbsup:

azcavalier
04-16-2013, 09:44 AM
We'll be there in mid August. I know it will be hot, but it will ALSO be hot and humid here at home in VA, and I'd much rather be at WDW. ;)

Amen, sister. Virginia in August is pretty freakin' miserable. Spending it at the Beach Club sounds better....

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-16-2013, 09:49 AM
I have to agree with that. We did Virgina one end-of-August and it was way worse than Disney. (I do think I said that, in the middle of Colonial Williamsburg).

The first August trip we pushed ourselves way too much and the first couple of days were fairly miserable. Then we learned to drink A LOT, and take advantage of all of the air-conditioning Disney offers (like walking through stores, alternating attractions) and our other August trips were super.

BrerGnat
04-16-2013, 12:22 PM
I have to agree with that. We did Virgina one end-of-August and it was way worse than Disney. (I do think I said that, in the middle of Colonial Williamsburg).

The first August trip we pushed ourselves way too much and the first couple of days were fairly miserable. Then we learned to drink A LOT, and take advantage of all of the air-conditioning Disney offers (like walking through stores, alternating attractions) and our other August trips were super.

I am already planning to bring my Camelbak water pack! It has a huge capacity, and doubles as a place to keep my wallet and a few other things. The bonus is that it keeps my back cool while I'm wearing it. :thumbsup: We even have kids sized ones for the boys.

bruin1344
04-16-2013, 01:10 PM
Our school district is building a new high school, because the old one collapsed under the snow load of snowpocalypse two years ago. It should be completed this summer, and they will be moving into the new building. To accommodate this, our school year will not begin until September 4th. As we're looking at the calendar, trying to figure out what to do with our kids, we realized, "DisneyWorld!" This gives us an opportunity to take our two oldest (8th and 11th grades) without taking them out of school, but still avoiding huge crowds, as its our understanding that regardless of the holiday weekend, it's still a good time to go, because most of the rest of the country is just starting school, and most parents won't pull their kids for that first couple of weeks.

Is that an accurate assessment? Or are we off-base? Is that a good time to go?

We're also hoping for free dining, but i'm not holding my breath.

Positives: crowds are manageable and there is enough indoor attractions to keep cool.

Negatives: Its very humid and there are quick thunderstorms almost everyday.Water parks are very busy. You feel the heat during the Indiana Jones Stunt Show, Lights Motors, and Animal Kingdom.

azcavalier
04-17-2013, 08:52 AM
Negatives: Its very humid and there are quick thunderstorms almost everyday.Water parks are very busy. You feel the heat during the Indiana Jones Stunt Show, Lights Motors, and Animal Kingdom.

Isn't LMA closed now? We won't be doing the Stunt show....we've seen that about a dozen times. Love AK, though! It always seems hotter than the other parks. I believe I've seen threads dedicated to that idea, too. That's OK. Makes it feel more authentic! I love how Imagineers have figured out a way to control the climate outdoors. :D