PDA

View Full Version : Le Cellier, Why the bad rep?

iceicebritney
04-14-2013, 03:44 PM
We haven't eaten at Le Cellier since 2007. We enjoyed our meal during that experience but it didnt stand out enough to become a must do on our next trips. From everything I've been reading recently, Le Cellier has gotten a pretty bad reputation over the last few years. Why is this? Can anyone speak to their experiences within the past year and help us decide if this should be a lunch destination for us? We are on the deluxe dining plan and love steak.

faline
04-14-2013, 04:11 PM
Le Cellier was a very hard to get reservation until a couple of years ago. Up until that time, it had a lower priced luncheon menu and a decently priced dinner menu which served excellent steak. Plus, for those on the dining plan, it only used 1 table service.

A couple of years ago, Disney changed the rating on this restaurant and made it a deluxe dining establishment requiring the use of 2 table service credits instead of 1. The did the thin the tables out slightly and claim they moved to a higher grade beef (Personally, I didn't notice a difference in the filet mignon I ordered before the change and the one I ordered after the change). Additionally, they now have one menu regardless of whether you eat there for dinner or lunch.

Many folks have, therefore, decided this restaurant is no longer worth the cost. I don't think the food has gotten a bad reputation but the administrative changes certainly have.

NJGIRL
04-14-2013, 04:16 PM
You can read through this, it is current.

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=198420

mousetrapper
04-14-2013, 06:02 PM
We ate at Le Cellier only once, back in 2009. I thought it was just fine - we liked the Canadian Rockies ambiance and the service was fine. I expected more because of all the hype. I know the specialty is steak, but the only think I can remember is the beer cheese soup and pretzel bread! Yum. But not worth the 2 TS points or all the hype. I think for me it's one of those did it once, don't have to do it again restaurants.

If you're going because you're a steak aficionado, I think there are opinions out there as to other restaurants that have better steak. Anyone want to weigh in?

SBETigg
04-14-2013, 06:30 PM
I think it's good, fairly consistent, but not great. If you're on the Deluxe DDP and you love steak, it's not a bad choice. I prefer it to Yachtsman Steakhouse, but it's not as good as Shula's (which isn't on the plan). I would also add that a lot of the Signature restaurants might not specialize in steak, but they each have one or two phenomenal steak dishes. Usually filet mignon, though. So if you're really after a good ribeye or NY strip, it might be harder to find but check out the menus.

VWL Mom
04-14-2013, 06:57 PM
I don't think it's any better or worse than other Signature restaurants, we enjoyed our meal there last year and actually have reservations to go back in June. We pay OOP with TIW so the DDP has not effect on us.

dnickels
04-14-2013, 07:12 PM
It's always been Outback-Steakhouse level food, but it gets the bad rap recently because Disney upped it to the 2 TS / Signature level cost.

Davy Crockett
04-15-2013, 08:54 PM
My DW & I had a "Kids night out" dinner there last June during our last visit. We were on the "normal" dining plan and didn't feel we wanted to use two TS credits for this experience, so we paid Out of Pocket for our experience. Now being this was our one date night meal for Mom & Dad we went full bore - appetizer, entree / steak a nice bottle of wine and dessert. The atmosphere was very nice (dark but nice) our server equally pleasant and the food was good.. Not spectacular but good. Now here is where you need to decide if it worth it for you or not as our experience cost with tip $260, we enjoyed this and were glad we had tried it as we were never able to get a seating back when it only cost 1 TS credit, but we won't be going back anytime soon as there are better dining locals at WDW for less $$$.
California Grill to name one.
We hope you enjoy!

DizneyRox
04-16-2013, 08:04 AM
We pay OOP with TIW so the DDP has not effect on us.
Well it kindof does, since the same menu is offered to those on the plan and those off. You're still limited to the choices they have that fit within their acceptable profit margin between the cost of the food and the reimbursement for two table service credits from Disney.

I feel if I want to order a $75 steak I should be able to, but because its not on the menu (because they can't offer it to those on the plan and make money) I can't... That's what bugs me most about the DDP.

The above says to me, they don't want my money, which is why I have not been back in years...

VWL Mom
04-16-2013, 08:37 AM
Well it kindof does, since the same menu is offered to those on the plan and those off. You're still limited to the choices they have that fit within their acceptable profit margin between the cost of the food and the reimbursement for two table service credits from Disney.

Totally agree! What I've found though is because appys are not included, many of the chefs use appetizers to showcase their talents (imo this is true in all signatures). While DS16 still gets a plain entree, we've been known to order a mix of appetizers/salads and a bottle of wine and make a meal out of it. It think the last time at LeCellier DH & I split clams, scallops, and a Canadian antipasto and they were all wonderful.

madhatterrules
04-16-2013, 09:07 AM
My family & I love steak and the filet at Le cellier was the best meal we had on the trip. The service was great, and the food was perfect. The pretzel bread and cheese soup were good but the filet was fantastic, The chocolate "moose" is to die for...so creamy.

We loved our lunch there and I would highly recommend it.:thumbsup:

joonyer
04-16-2013, 12:32 PM
I don't think Le Cellier is "bad" at all, but I don't think it ever measured up to it's old reputation of being the "greatest restaurant ever" at WDW either. (which led to it being so hard to get ADRs for) It was over-rated for years, and now the 2TS plan has hurt that rating somewhat. Every time we ate there I would describe it as great service and really good food. But I would also give the same rating to our local Outback steakhouse. Nothing too special about that.

CynBeth
04-16-2013, 07:05 PM
Is the broth of the cheese soup made with bacon or is it just sprinkled on top?

faline
04-16-2013, 07:13 PM
Is the broth of the cheese soup made with bacon or is it just sprinkled on top?

:offtopic:

Here's (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/recipes/cheesesoup.asp) the recipe.

Kaps
04-17-2013, 12:10 PM
The food was ok just not worth the price especially when they raised it to a signature meal.

azcavalier
04-17-2013, 01:24 PM
My family & I love steak and the filet at Le cellier was the best meal we had on the trip. The service was great, and the food was perfect. The pretzel bread and cheese soup were good but the filet was fantastic, The chocolate "moose" is to die for...so creamy.

We loved our lunch there and I would highly recommend it.:thumbsup:

Except that, according to the new all-day menu, the Chocolate Mousse is gone. Sorry! That was my wife's favorite as well.

The wife and I will be there in about ten days. Gonna give it a shot, though I know the bill is gonna hurt.

PETE FROM NYC
04-17-2013, 06:03 PM
I remember eating there 20+ yrs ago, when it was cafeteria style.
We have eaten there recently, too. In 2009, 2010 and also last Sept. While we are really not thrilled with it being over-priced, we always enjoy our meals.
Love the soup, and the steaks.

faline
04-17-2013, 07:13 PM
I remember eating there 20+ yrs ago, when it was cafeteria style.

I had almost forgotten about that! It was like that the first time we dined there as well. After that, it was a number of years before we went back.

JerseyDad
04-18-2013, 11:59 AM
.....I'd not label it "bad" ...because "bad" would need to be an all inclusive, universal assessment from all patrons that dine there ...including us.

...I'd say that it's a restaurant that's "slipped" from what really was in the 'signature' dining category (if there really deserved to be one) ...to only a good restaurant that is inconsistent regarding both food choice / offering and service provided.

...our first dinner there was memorable ...from the food ...to the impeccable service provided by what I can only label as a "Professional Waiter".

...our second dinner there was a far level lower in food and most importantly (to me) the service provided by the waiter ...who I would have no issue with labeling as a "kid looking to have a job". If I'm paying 'signature prices' (WDW speak for EXPENSIVE) ...I deserve a waiter that will guide me through food and drink selection ....not someone that just brings the food and then the check.

buzznwoodysmom
04-18-2013, 12:15 PM
OP, I have always felt completely opposite. I've always wondered why all the hype for this place. We tried it twice back when it was only 1 TS credit. We tried it for lunch first, then for dinner. Both times I came away thinking it wasn't as good as we were expecting based on the rave reviews I'd read.

Now, I think what has happened is people just don't think it's worth the 2 TS credits. Even some who have loved it in the past are now saying it's just not worth it.

WhiteRose1
04-18-2013, 02:12 PM
I really enjoyed eating there in 2008. We are going back this year and we could not fit it in, and I am disapointed...I really enjoyed myself.

We are on the platinum plan (We go every 5 years on our anniversary and splurge.) so it's always one credit no matter what place we choose.

thejens
04-20-2013, 04:39 PM
I think it is a case of being one of the very best 1 T credit restaurants, thus lots of hype. Then it became one of the worst 2 T restaurants, grumble, grumble. I'll bet it hasn't changed much.

I haven't been back since the change and really wouldn't think it is worth 2T, based on my past experiences.

azcavalier
04-20-2013, 11:19 PM
I think it is a case of being one of the very best 1 T credit restaurants, thus lots of hype. Then it became one of the worst 2 T restaurants, grumble, grumble. I'll bet it hasn't changed much.

I haven't been back since the change and really wouldn't think it is worth 2T, based on my past experiences.

Except that, because of the change, your past experiences are not enough to judge it on. The entire menu has changed. Well, *most* of the menu has changed. They still have the cheese soup, apparently.

I'll be eating there on the 30th. I'll post a review when I get back.

disneydeb
04-21-2013, 12:41 AM
I've written one of those bad reviews and I stand by it.

We have eaten there even when it was a cafeteria type operation in the late eighties or very early nineties. We always had great meals and good service.
Just after it turned into a two credit operation we were back, bringing our extended family. My at that time, future son in law ordered a well done steak. I told the waitress at that point that he meant very well done, gray throughout.
Whe his steak came out, he cut into it and immediately got a sick look o his face, when I looked down, I could see why.. Blood came oozing from that piece of meat. They couldn't have checked it before sending it out. They just offered to cook it more thouroughly, but the poor guy was too sick to think about eatig after that.:ack:
Other menu changes upset aother son in law and daughter, as well as me.They no longer offered our favorite coffee rubbed steak or potato. We had been ordering that for quite awhile. :( It seems they went to cheaper menu offerings to go along with the increase of table credits. The waitress was rude.

We haven't been back, and probably never will.

MrPeetrie
04-21-2013, 10:49 AM
I have mixed thoughts on this restaurant. Before this past trip, our last meal there was in 2002. Our food was great and I loved the atmosphere. It was a little cramped, but when you consider the price back then, it was very hard to beat the overall value.

I was so looking forward to returning in 2012. The first thing I noticed was it seemed roomier. Our waiter was excellent and our food was the best of the trip. But I was surprised by how much more expensive the meal was. On our last trip, we had dinner at California Grille, Bongos, and Le Cellier and the latter was the most expensive of the three. I didnt expect that. I'd probably still return, as we thoroughly enjoyed our meal. I will just know before entering the price has significantly gone up.

azcavalier
04-22-2013, 01:18 PM
I will just know before entering the price has significantly gone up.

Yeah, after we booked our ADRs for next week, I looked at the menu prices and about fell out of my chair. It has gone *way* up. But, we'll try it this once.

mom2morgan
04-22-2013, 10:17 PM
We ate there in September and loved it. In fact, I think we liked it better than any other restaurant on property - Cali Grill is wonderful but the portions are too small. We left Le Cellier completely satisfied. My husband still raves about the pretzel bread, of all things!

thejens
04-23-2013, 11:18 PM
Very strange that they would change one of the most universally loved restaurants ever. If it aint broke, break it?

azcavalier
04-24-2013, 02:32 PM
Very strange that they would change one of the most universally loved restaurants ever. If it aint broke, break it?

If it ain't broke, let's squeeze more money out of it.