PDA

View Full Version : Hoop De Doo for a group of Girl Scouts?

Melanie
04-12-2013, 11:06 AM
My friend is asking my opinion on HDD and believe it or not, I've never done it. So, asking the experts here - is this something a bunch of 9-10 year old girls would enjoy? Money isn't a factor, so she was just wanting to do something different for them.

Thanks for opinions!

faline
04-12-2013, 11:10 AM
I think they're still in the right age group to appreciate the corny jokes here. We've been to Hoop de Doo a number of times over the years and enjoy it each and every time we go. In all thsese years, I've only met one or two people who say they absolutely hated it.

The food is what so many in that age group love to eat (fried chicken); the jokes are so corny, they're funny; the actors are wonderful; and there is a fair amount of audience participation.

cer
04-12-2013, 11:52 AM
I think the girls scouts would enjoy it.

I went to Hoop De Doo for the first time June 2011...

The following is an excerpt from my dining report that is pretty detailed about our personal experience at Hoop Dee Doo

I have highlighted in red the "cut to the chase parts." :thumbsup:

"Hoop Dee Doo Revue – We had never done this before. It was indeed a first. I had read many reviews about how everyone can see everything from where they sit so…I opted for Category 3 seating at the 5pm show.

OK, there is something you need to know about me. I love a sale. I enjoy little things and I enjoy hanging onto my money, so Category 3 seating is no big deal to me. Well, at least I thought. So we get in and are sent upstairs to our table. We are seated in bar stools with our backs to the main dining hall and railing. Our table is like sitting at a bar and we are facing a wall. Four of us are in a row, shoulder to shoulder. When the entertainment starts, in order to see it, you must swivel your chair around and lean over the rail to see the whole stage. There is really no comfortable place to put your legs.

The food was just ok for us. I am not a fan of the strawberry shortcake. I think I was expecting the cake and the whipped cream to be sweeter. My husband and I don’t drink and so all you can drink beer and sangria is not a draw for us. The fried chicken seemed dry. Ribs were good, very saucy. We also enjoyed the salad and the cornbread. Veggies not so much.

Loved the entertainment. Very cute show. They do a great job at making everyone feel part of the show wherever you sit. The kids really enjoyed it.

I am glad we went, but I am not sure we will return. We spent over $230 for this meal, show and gratuity. That is a lot of money for food that is just ok. If we were to return, I would pay extra to have better seats. I think that if we had taken a break from the park, rested a little and then went to dinner we might have had a better experience, but for those of you planning a trip to Hoop Dee Doo, I would not recommend Category 3 seats. Well, get them if you want, but know what to expect if you do go for the Cat 3 seats."

Katzateer
04-12-2013, 11:58 AM
I bet the girls would enjoy the backyard BBQ.

My daughter also has gone horseback riding at Ft. Wilderness and loved it.

I don't know much about the marshmallow roast but I think they have one at Ft. wilderness and I ave seen one at the Poly beach.

Having been a Girl Scout leader for over 15 years and a Girl Scout, I think those might be more fun.

Also, the Trails End would be fun to eat at with a group of girls. I always get a little of the feel of Parent Trap and Hailey Mills when there for some reason. Maybe dude ranch and camping lodge memories.

The girls in my troops seemed to enjoy the active outings we would go on together more than sitting and watching a show. But they were very into camping and outdoor fun so I guess it depends on the girls interests.

Hope they have a great time- miss those days!!

Janmac
04-16-2013, 12:55 PM
We have brought kids of that age to see both HDDR and other live musical shows. If the girls are not in the habit of seeing this sort of thing, they should enjoy it very much, as something different. The corny jokes and the energy of the show should be very enjoyable for this age group.

We were in the category 1 seating, one table between us and the stage. Great interaction with the performers.

If we were to do this again, I think I'll bring ear plugs. My ears were ringing for awhile after the show. I'd repeat this before the Aloha show at the Poly.

Jan

hoop de do
04-16-2013, 01:03 PM
I'm sure they would love it.
I would also recommend getting the better seats.
Be sure and let us know how they liked it.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

BrerGnat
04-16-2013, 02:53 PM
I think it would probably really depend on the current attitudes of the girls. Are they of the "eye rolling", "everything is so lame" mentality yet? If so, I can see them hating Hoop De Doo. I'm sure your friend knows these girls very well so she would probably be a good judge.

To be completely honest, I've not seen this show live, but I've seen clips of it on You Tube, and it makes ME roll my eyes. As a 10 year old girl, I would have had nothing positive to say about it.

Flame away...

Kenny1113
04-16-2013, 02:59 PM
I think it would probably really depend on the current attitudes of the girls. Are they of the "eye rolling", "everything is so lame" mentality yet? If so, I can see them hating Hoop De Doo. I'm sure your friend knows these girls very well so she would probably be a good judge.

Flame away...

This was my thought as well...

Katzateer
04-17-2013, 12:29 PM

To be completely honest, I've not seen this show live, but I've seen clips of it on You Tube, and it makes ME roll my eyes. As a 10 year old girl, I would have had nothing positive to say about it.

Flame away...

We have been twice - girls liked it ok first time and we sat in balcony. Second time in center and middle of the action and the girls were trying to blend into the crowd - did NOT want to be part of the fun. My husband was one if the guys they talked to and he thought it was fun.

No requests to go back again.

disneydeb
04-17-2013, 02:57 PM
I really enjoyed the show and the food the first time I went but now so much the second time.

I think if the girls are above eleven years old and have most everything they want, they are probably going to not like the show. If they are "too cool to let their hair down" they will not appreciate the corny humor. But if they only are able to have their needs and some of their wants, they should appreciate the opportunity and the experience.

I have taught school in elementary and middle schools for 35 years in schools that have the "haves" and schools of the "have nots".