PDA

View Full Version : Atlantis or not?

the other micki
04-11-2013, 06:10 PM
Hi all! I've read from a few intercotees that they would skip Atlantis altogether and just stay on the ship in Nassau. However, a friend of mine said that the water park is amazing and it shouldn't be missed. So I'm hoping to get a few more opinions that may help me make up my mind!

Thank you!

Jeri Lynn
04-12-2013, 06:41 AM
We will be three adult woman aboard the Dream in November for a 3 night cruise. We had considered going to the Atlantis but since we have decided for such a short time on the ship, we will stay onboard at Nassau and enjoy the ship and what it has to offer and spend the day at Castaway Cay when we arrive there. The Atlantis Water Park seems pricy ($169pp), so that is what we are going to do....of course, it is our perogative to change our minds!
;)

JMTStone
04-12-2013, 09:02 AM
We did the Atlantis Beach Day and had a great time. We were able to do the not-so-lazy river with the beach day pass and it was enough excitement for 3 times around.

Now we did NOT do the water park itself so I can't speak directly to that but DH wanted to go buy cuban cigars from the hotel (buying them in town is risky - you normally get knock-offs) and it was a nice day. Nice lunch. Nice beach.

BrerGnat
04-12-2013, 09:06 AM
Our boys LOVE waterparks. However, I could not imagine spending close to $500 for the 4 of us just to visit a water park for a couple hours. I know you can get it cheaper by booking a room at a nearby hotel that comes with passes, but that seems like such an unnecesssary hassle. Plus, I am very wary of booking shore excursions on my own. I am paranoid that I'll be the one who misses the ship because something happened to delay my return and the ship leaves without me. :eek:

We stayed on the ship, and rode the Aquaduck over and over, and the kids had the pools practically to themselves. We had a wonderful day. BUT, there were some major thunderstorms from about 11-2pm that day, so all those people who paid $$$ for the waterpark were basically out of luck. They won't refund you if you get ANY time at the waterpark. From what we were told, the water park was closed until close to 3pm, and those who booked got about an hour and a half of time there before it was shut down due to the weather. There was a LONG line at Guest Services that night...and people were not happy.

Remember too, there are really fun floating waterslides at Castaway Cay, along with a spray park on the beach. My kids had a lot of fun there and did not feel like they missed out on anything by not going to another waterpark.

Atlantis seems like an amazing resort, but I'd much rather just go there as a vacation than just to walk around for a couple hours when I could be enjoying my time on the ship that I paid $$$$$ for!

DizneyRox
04-12-2013, 03:15 PM
Went to Nassau once, I stay on the ship now... No need to head to Atlantis (or any other area of the island) as far as I'm concened.

NJGIRL
04-12-2013, 09:05 PM
My opinion is that it is amazing and blows every other water park...well out of the water :D.

I wouldn't book with the cruise line because it's too expensive.

We have been there 3 times and we book a one night stay at the Comfort Suites, right next door. They allow you to use the waterpark and beach at the Atlantis. With the room you get passes for the people you book in your room. I just booked for us in Oct and it cost about $230. We take a cab to the hotel, check in at the desk which takes about 5 minutes and get our water park passes, walk across the driveway (Literally) to the Atlantis and use the water park. I don't think we have ever even walked into our hotel room. We have done this 3 times and have never had a problem. It really only costs about $60 per person doing it this way. You won't be disappointed.

BrerGnat
04-13-2013, 09:35 AM
My opinion is that it is amazing and blows every other water park...well out of the water :D.

I wouldn't book with the cruise line because it's too expensive.

We have been there 3 times and we book a one night stay at the Comfort Suites, right next door. They allow you to use the waterpark and beach at the Atlantis. With the room you get passes for the people you book in your room. I just booked for us in Oct and it cost about $230. We take a cab to the hotel, check in at the desk which takes about 5 minutes and get our water park passes, walk across the driveway (Literally) to the Atlantis and use the water park. I don't think we have ever even walked into our hotel room. We have done this 3 times and have never had a problem. It really only costs about $60 per person doing it this way. You won't be disappointed.

That does seem very easy. I am just not a "take a cab to wherever" when in a foreign port. I once had a VERY negative experience doing that in Cozumel and I am hesitant to do it again. But, for people less paranoid than I, this does seem to be an easy way to visit Atlantis for less money.

NJGIRL
04-13-2013, 11:34 AM
That does seem very easy. I am just not a "take a cab to wherever" when in a foreign port. I once had a VERY negative experience doing that in Cozumel and I am hesitant to do it again. But, for people less paranoid than I, this does seem to be an easy way to visit Atlantis for less money.

Natalie...I'm not very adventurous either but when we were going to do it for the first time several people on INTERCOT had told me that they had already done it and how easy it was so we tried it and it worked. Believe me....years ago we went to the Bahamas on a company trip. We wanted to see the forts and were told it was a short walk from the aquarium.....well I have never been so scared. I can understand not wanting to be in another bad situation.

BrerGnat
04-13-2013, 01:10 PM
Natalie...I'm not very adventurous either but when we were going to do it for the first time several people on INTERCOT had told me that they had already done it and how easy it was so we tried it and it worked. Believe me....years ago we went to the Bahamas on a company trip. We wanted to see the forts and were told it was a short walk from the aquarium.....well I have never been so scared. I can understand not wanting to be in another bad situation.

Yeah, we were in a cab, and we told the guy where we wanted to go (only about 2 miles down from the pier) and he kept telling us "no no...I'll take you somewhere better." And he totally went a weird way, and I got so scared. I thought we were being kidnapped. We actually got to where we wanted to go, and we WALKED back to the ship because of that. Scared me to death.

the other micki
04-13-2013, 07:18 PM
Thanks to all of you for your input! So sorry for your bad taxi experience, BrerGnat! That does sound frightening!

Donald A
07-11-2013, 11:17 AM
In 2010 we went to Atlantis. We were going to do the water park and decided against it prior due to cost. This was a good thing, it was raining and would have been miserable. We took the aquarium tour after a scary bus ride. I felt like herded cattle. Neat place but would not do it again.

lightyearfan
07-11-2013, 11:50 AM
Me and dw did this trip back in March, we did the Atlantis beach day and explored the dig, and we werent impressed at all, now this wasn't the exact thing that your asking about, we just thought Atlantis wasn't what they make it seem to be, on our next dream cruise to nassua we'll be doing the fort excursions this seems on paper to be very fun, and it isn't that expensive i believe it is only $41 per