PDA

View Full Version : Old iPad - should I replace it

Katzateer
04-11-2013, 08:55 AM
My iPad is over 3 years old. We have had some great times together lol but I need to decide if I want to replace it with a newer version, a mini, or a laptop.

Mainly I use my iPad to keep up with emails, Facebook friends, browse Intercot, and play games.

If I have a laptop I probably would not do much more than that. My husband has a laptop so I use it occasionally to download my pictures.

Any computer or iPad masters have suggestions what direction I should go to get the most for my $$$$

I find the iPhone hard to use sometimes since I have hard time seeing the print - (that's what happens as you get older ). So I wonder if the mini would be hard to use.

magicofdisney
04-11-2013, 09:35 AM
I'm not sure I'd be happy without my iPad. :cloud9:

It may definitely be time to replace it, especially if updates are no longer offered.

My husband surprised me with an iPad mini for Christmas. While I LOVE the portability of the smaller version, it doesn't have the retina display that my iPad 3 has. I GREATLY miss that. I'm still using my iPad 3 at home and I use the mini when I leave the house. It's somewhat redundant, but I've managed. ;)

If you're managing fine with the size of your current iPad, then upgrade to the iPad 4. You'll be head over heels with the retina display. However, since you don't currently have that, you may just as well be happy with the mini since you won't have the display comparison to hinder your judgement.

Rumor has it the next mini will be offered with the retina display. I'm not sure of a release date. I thought it was going to be this first quarter of the year, but that didn't happen.

Good luck with your decision. I'll be watching to see what you decide. :)

Katzateer
04-11-2013, 11:13 AM
I'm not sure I'd be happy without my iPad. :cloud9:

It may definitely be time to replace it, especially if updates are no longer offered.

My husband surprised me with an iPad mini for Christmas. While I LOVE the portability of the smaller version, it doesn't have the retina display that my iPad 3 has. I GREATLY miss that. I'm still using my iPad 3 at home and I use the mini when I leave the house. It's somewhat redundant, but I've managed. ;)

If you're managing fine with the size of your current iPad, then upgrade to the iPad 4. You'll
be head over heels with the retina display. However, since you don't currently have that,
you may just as well be happy with the mini
since you won't have the display comparison to hinder your judgement.

Rumor has it the next mini will be offered with
the retina display. I'm not sure of a release
date. I thought it was going to be this first quarter of the year, but that didn't happen.

Good luck with your decision. I'll be watching to
see what you decide. :)

Thanks! The new mini sounds like it may be the way to go! As long as this old one holds out - I have been having problems with it. Can you take pictures with the mini?

Ian
04-11-2013, 10:06 PM
Just a tip ... if you do decide to buy a new one, sell your old one on eBay. You'll get easily half the value of the new one.

PopPhan
04-12-2013, 02:28 PM
Might I suggest a ChromeBook? I got one about a month ago and love it for just browsing and playing games. They are inexpensive ($199 Acer; $249 Samsung -- at Best Buy) and pretty much have everything a tablet or laptop have to offer.

Jeff
04-12-2013, 03:02 PM
Love my iPad . When it retires I will definitely replace it with a new one! I rarely use the laptop these days.

DizneyRox
04-12-2013, 04:10 PM
Not sure I would go for a mini. For as much as I use it, I don't think the 7" form factor is usable. I've got large hands however.

We're thinking of getting the little one a mini, but I might just go and get a new 4 and give him my old one.

sportsguy2315
04-16-2013, 08:50 AM
Just a tip ... if you do decide to buy a new one, sell your old one on eBay. You'll get easily half the value of the new one.

Agreed Ian. I had an old broken iPod Nano that I just sold for $20 on eBay.

Melanie
04-16-2013, 09:04 AM
I've sold many iPods, and plan on doing the same with my old iPad when the time comes, to a "recycling" site. I was very pleased with the money we got back on them.

My iPad is first generation. It's starting to have a few hiccups and it's slow, but still serves the general purpose of why I purchased it. I can't do a lot of the things on there that I need to (mainly INTERCOT related), but I use it for games, email, light browsing, weather app, etc.

My hubby recently got an iPad mini, and while he loves it, it's too small for me. I'll be getting the newest full size when my old one bites it.

magicofdisney
04-16-2013, 09:33 AM
Thanks! The new mini sounds like it may be the way to go! As long as this old one holds out - I have been having problems with it. Can you take pictures with the mini?

Yes, you can. And they're very decent quality. I seriously think you'd be happy with the mini. I totally love how much easier it is to just throw in my purse and go. With my iPad 3, I used a separate carrier to transport it safely. :)

BTW-I purchased an otterbox cover from Amazon to use with the mini. It's probably the BEST cover I've had for any of my iPads. The front cover can be used as a stand and it's rock solid thus far.

Ian
04-16-2013, 09:56 AM
I've sold many iPods, and plan on doing the same with my old iPad when the time comes, to a "recycling" site. I was very pleased with the money we got back on them.Mel, trust me ... eBay is the way to go. Those recycling sites don't pay anywhere near what you can get on eBay.

For context, I have sold every single of one of my used Apple devices on eBay for a significant profit. Yes I said profit ... my last iPhone 4S I paid $249 for. I sold it on eBay when I upgraded to the iPhone 5 for $435!

Katzateer
04-16-2013, 12:13 PM
my last iPhone 4S I paid $249 for. I sold it on eBay when I upgraded to the iPhone 5 for $435!

WOW!

Thanks for all the advice. My iPad has started behaving again so I am hoping to get a little more time with it. But I will be a little more prepared when I have to get something to replace it.:thumbsup: