PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Ideas

LarryBoy
04-10-2013, 03:48 PM
My son and I will be going back to WDW this summer, 7/28-8/2, and I know we need to make some ADRs soon. The problem is I really don't know where I want to eat this time. We are fairly seasoned veterans and have made many trips to the world and tried many of the restaurants. Last summer was our first trip in several years so we made sure to hit all our favorites. This year I'm looking to try a few new things possibly. We most likely will not be on the dining plan so we seem to get more for our money from traditional, order off the menu, table service as opposed to family style or buffet since my son is 12. That of course means he still prefers children's menu food, but has to pay adult price at buffets/family style. I am looking for any input or suggestions, especially for some places that might be a little different from the really popular places that we've been to before.

Davy Crockett
04-10-2013, 04:17 PM
Not knowing what cuisine you prefer here a few suggestions that we like and don't break the bank:
Counter service dining:
Yak & Yeti - Counter service - AK
Flame Tree Barbecue - AK
Cosmic Ray's Starlight Café - MK (excellent selection not jus the same burger & fries)
Columbia Harbour House - MK
ABC Commissary -HS
Backlot Express - HS (grilled selection along with burgers & fries)
Tangierine Café - Epcot - Morocco
Yorkshire County Fish Shop - Epcot - UK

Table service dining:
Biergarten - Epcot - Germany and my Fav!
Be Our Guest Restaurant -MK - Just because it's NEW
Liberty Tree Tavern - MK
Whispering Canyon Café -Wilderness Lodge - Because Kids can be Kids here! and the food is good.

And one final one that if you've not been you and your son will have a blast - Not cheap but FUN.

Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue - Fort Wilderness Campground.

Hope you guys have a great trip!

Pirate Granny
04-11-2013, 07:38 AM
If he is over 9 he will have to pay adult fees at buffet...so best to stick to restaurants with menu items instead. BOG is probably booked solid by now for dinner, but you can try for lunch. Liberty tree tavern will also charge adult prices as although its not a buffet it's family style serving.

WRWDisney
04-11-2013, 08:13 AM
If you are looking for something with a great atmosphere, a really unique menu and, for my money, is one of the least expensive TS on property, give Sanna's a shot. You get to visit Animal Kingdom Lodge. You get to see the animals from the viewing areas before/after you eat. You may get a window seat, where you will get to see the animals throughout your meal.

The servers are very knowledgeable. Get the bread sampler appetizer. It is a great way to be experimental with out much risk. And if you and your son have a fairly adventurous palate, there are a lot of great entrées to try.:thumbsup:

LarryBoy
04-11-2013, 08:34 AM
Sanna might be good. I guess what I'm looking for are suggestions for Table Service that are not buffet or family style, and that we maybe haven't tried before.

VWL Mom
04-11-2013, 08:50 AM
Some of the places my boys likes at that age were ESPN, Kona, Rainforest (AK location), Wolfgang Puck and Planet Hollywood. Definitely not a food connoisseur's dream but great places for a twelve year old.

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-11-2013, 08:53 AM
What have you already eaten before?

Here are some suggestions that are not buffet/family style:

CS:
Wolfgang Puck Express-DTD
Flame Tree-AK
Starring Rolls-DHS
Columbia Harbor House-MK
UK-Fish N Chips-Epcot

TS:
Raglan Road-DTD
Via Napoli-Epcot
San Angel Inn-Epcot
Be Our Guest-MK
Kona Cafe-Polynesian

LarryBoy
04-11-2013, 10:49 AM
Some of the places we've done before multiple times: LeCellier, Ohana, Boma, CRT, San Angel, Garden Grill, and Sci Fi.

MOJoe
04-11-2013, 11:55 AM
Here are a few different choices my sons enjoy and have asked to visit again.

Coral Reef
50's Prime Time
Beaches' n Cream
Rainforest at AK
ESPN Club
Whispering Canyon Cafe

You may be thinking "food". But a 12 year old boy is thinking "fun". Enjoy. ;)

LarryBoy
04-11-2013, 01:57 PM
I forgot to mention that my son is autistic. He is high functioning, but sometimes a really loud restaurant can be a little difficult. That's why I'm not sure if Whispering Canyon and 50's Prime Time are right for us or not. I would like to try them though. What are your experiences with those two?

WRWDisney
04-11-2013, 04:26 PM
LarryBoy, my wife works with autistic students (she's a teacher). Sanna will be great as I said earlier. Quiet, laid back, and not a buffet. 50's Prime time might also work. Good American classics, and while the CM's are great at interacting, if you let them know you will need a more laid back approach, they will easily work with you (and I cannot think of anything they do that is "loud" per se. Whispering Canyon is good, but I find it to be a rather loud experience (in part because of the location, I admit).

Just my :twocents:

Janmac
04-11-2013, 04:50 PM
I understand the menu has changed at Whispering Canyon - may want to check that out, and the recent reviews before trying there.

On our trip in February this year we had lunch at Big River Grille and Brew Pub (or whatever it's called) at the Boardwalk. We were seated outside and had mostly appetizers. My cousin's husband got the chicken nachos which we all could have shared and been full, it was that large. And very good.

Marrakesh at Morocco in Epcot is generally quieter than some restaurants. We've had kids of all ages in there and not had problems with food.

Recently we ate at Tokyo Dining. While it was a bit noisy it's still quieter than Ohanas or similar. My 8 year old grandniece enjoyed her rice, tempura (fried) shrimp and veggies - which were served in a monorail dish.

Another restaurant we like for the food and ambiance is Boatwrights at Port Orleans Riverside.

Jan

mydisneygirls
04-12-2013, 10:46 AM
I would not recommend Whispering Canyon for two reasons. The first, it can be quite loud and second, since they changed the menu the food is not good at all. I would recommend Captain's Grille, good food and (when we were there) was not loud at all. I've heard good things about Grand Floridian Cafe.

FLKatie912
04-12-2013, 04:12 PM
I also would put in a vote for The Plaza Restaurant on MAin Street. I was pleasantly surprised at the bill amount after I went last week!