PDA

View Full Version : Question about GAC

tmz814
04-09-2013, 04:38 PM
My mother has rheumatoid arthritis and will be traveling with me to WDW this summer. She has difficulty with rides where you have to board on the moving conveyer belt (haunted mansion, nemo, etc) and gets very nervous when she feels likes she has to rush to get to her ride vehicle (or off the vehicle when you get to send of the ride). She also has difficulty standing in lines for extended periods of time. Would she be able to get a GAC? And does anyone have any ideas as to what we should say to the cast member to get the correct type of card?

She is very proud and will not get an ecv because she says she can walk just fine as long as she takes occasional breaks, but I think having a GACfor when she needs it might make the trip a little less stressful and more enjoyable for her.

Thanks for your help. I usually go to WDW alone or with friends, so this is the first time I have had to think about this for my mom.

tadshome
04-09-2013, 05:46 PM
I have been thinking the same thing for my mum too, she took a bad fall two years ago and has not recovered and like your mum she is a very proud lady who will not use an ECV, she was mortified when she had to have a wheelchair when her leg was in full cast.

Sorry to jump on your thread and I hope that you have a wonderful trip :mickey:

Strmchsr
04-10-2013, 07:47 AM
You probably don't need a GAC. For the conveyor belt rides you just let the CM know when you're coming up to the front and they'll slow it down for your mom. That's not a problem. And for some lines, remember a GAC is not a "front of the line" pass. It's usually a different entrance or wait in a different area pass. So, you would probably do just as well (or better) in this situation just making good use of Fastpass with any lines that might be longer. My DW has rheumatoid arthritis and we've never used a GAC. Just followed those suggestions and we've been just fine.

If you decide to ask for the GAC, you just explain the issues and they CM will give you the correct type of card.

As for the ECV, if you can convince your mom to use it, they can really be wonderful things. You can even leave it in an area and walk around or leave it at the entrance to the line if you don't want to go through the line with it. But using it can save a lot of pain throughout the trip.