PDA

View Full Version : California Grill

cmshelton1979
04-09-2013, 11:39 AM
I just saw that CG is closed for 6 months, what kind of refurb are they doing for this???

I'm kind of sad we wont be able to go in July while we are there

faline
04-09-2013, 12:00 PM
My understanding is that it is being completely done over. When it re-opens, it will also have a new chef and a new menu.

Davy Crockett
04-10-2013, 05:10 PM
What was wrong with the old menu and chef??? That was always our go to place when it was "kids night out":thumbsup:
Last visit we had the best service I've every had at any restaurant, anywhere in the world and I've been completely around the world... Our waiter had an understanding of food and wine pairing that was unmatched, he was truly engaging and sincere and made sure we wanted for nothing the entire night. He let us know that we could have the table the entire night. Which was next to the window and gave us a great view of the fireworks. A very nice night was had by all!

faline
04-10-2013, 06:52 PM
What was wrong with the old menu and chef???

On that note, I must admit I was not happy when Top of the World closed to make way for California Grill though, in time, I came to enjoy California Grill as well!

mrte62
04-10-2013, 11:15 PM
The entire dinning area is being redone including having some walls removed.

One of the changes is the sushi chief has left. :(

beksy
04-13-2013, 05:35 PM
Has any info on or previews of the new menu? I travel with semi-picky eaters and they weren't too happy with the previous menu but I'd love to give the location another try. We were having an off-night (all of us were tired and we didn't know we could get up to see the fireworks so it felt like a let-down) so I'm hoping to convince them to do another try.

Pirate Granny
04-13-2013, 06:20 PM
Hummmm, we had a couple of good times and one extremely poor time. Dinner ADR booked for 9:00...arrived at 8:45. Sat and waitied until 10:15 for our table...people sat waiting for fireworks scheduled for 10pm... Waiter was tired and really not into serving two older women..on the dining plan, not even pleasant...(should've given him ZERO for tip, but did leave 10%) food was cold and obviously left overs as some items no longer available...two cases of SEVERE food poisoning early the next morning...
BUT, we may try again for the next family trip as our adult children have never eaten there, and we can put the kiddos in the Neverland Club at the Poly...treat for adults and kids alike!

thejens
04-20-2013, 04:43 PM
When does it open again?

I wish they would bring the foie gras appetizer back. I still dream of it...

Davy Crockett
05-01-2013, 02:12 PM
When does it open again?

I wish they would bring the foie gras appetizer back. I still dream of it...

Well you can thank our friend from PETA and other like kind organizations for this being removed. They state that it is inhumane treatment of animals to over feed the geese to produce the correct liver to make the foie gras....

thejens
05-01-2013, 11:37 PM
Well, I am in favor of humane treatment of animals. Sigh... I confess I have close interactions with geese and have a low sympathy level for them.

I am optimistic that the new CG management will be equally or more wonderful than the predecessor. I challenge them to come up with a cruelty free and delicious appetizer comparable to the fois gras! I wonder when we will be allowed to make reservations? I am coming in Sept and very anxious.

Polynesian Dweller
05-02-2013, 08:51 AM
What was wrong with the old menu and chef???
Actually the Executive chef is staying just tweaking the menu in his words. Chefs do that all the time for lots of reasons including keeping it interesting for them same chef means the quality will likely be the same.

One of the changes is the sushi chief has left.

Yep, at age 63 Yoshi decided it was a good time to retire. She'd been there for about 15 years and a sushi chef for about 46 years. The good news is that one of the people she trained will still be there.