PDA

View Full Version : Baby and Pregnant Wife-Am I Nuts!?!?!

jaredkari
04-08-2013, 10:40 PM
Ok so here is the situation-we are considering a trip to WDW in July. My wife will be about 31 weeks along in her pregnancy and we have a son who will just have turned 1 year old. We have some good friends of ours who are planning a trip and want us to come along because one of them doesn't do so well on her feet all day and wants to come back to the resort to babysit our infant.

So am I nuts??? It is going to be really hot for my wife and what about going with a 1 year old?? Your thoughts?? :mickey:

MNNHFLTX
04-08-2013, 11:38 PM
Yes, it will be hot and humid and it might be challenging at times dealing with a 1-year-old, but I'm sure you'll have a great time! How nice that you have someone to babysit in the evenings if you need it! Just take it easy during the hottest part of the afternoon and make sure everyone drinks plenty of water. :mickey:

BrerGnat
04-09-2013, 09:13 AM
Well, how does your wife feel about this? I think she should be the one who decides.

When I was 31 weeks pregnant with my second, our other son was about 1 1/2. We did visit Disneyland during my pregnancy, and with our son. It was enjoyable. However, my second pregnancy had some complications and I ended up on modified bed rest at 26 weeks, so the Disneyland day trips had to stop. By 31 weeks, I was very uncomfortable, and wouldn't have even wanted to visit the parks if I could. :(

If your wife is up for it, and her pregnancy is going well, go ahead and plan the trip. BUT, I would strongly recommend purchasing trip insurance in case things change and your wife is not able to go at the last minute.

If she plans to take it easy, stay as cool as possible and hydrate constantly, it will be okay. I would recommend LOTS of pool time and perhaps doing most of the park touring in the very early morning or in the early evenings.

faline
04-09-2013, 09:37 AM
I would also suggest checking with your insurance company to make sure they will cover the birth if you unexpectedly deliver while away. I came across this situation a few years ago when an employee and his wife were planning to vacation in another state during the latter part of the pregnancy. Much to my surprise, the insurance company indicted they would not cover at an out of state hospital during a voluntary trip!!

MOJoe
04-09-2013, 11:09 AM
Sounds like you are considering doing this as a favor to a friend. I love my friends, but my family has first priority. So, as Natalie and Faline have said, at the very least, caution is warranted, as well as a frank conversation with your wife.
Everyone is different, but i know my wife would not abide such a plan. So if i was in your situation, i would graciously decline and offer to join them next year.

buzznwoodysmom
04-09-2013, 11:21 AM
Well, how does your wife feel about this? I think she should be the one who decides.

Yeah, what she said!!!

Everyone is different, and perhaps your wife will have a wonderful time. However, as much as I love WDW, there is no way I would have wanted to be in Disney in July at 31 weeks. Add a one year old child to the mix and I would have told DH he must have lost his mind. LOL.

Another thing to consider is speaking to her Dr. I know doctors are different, but my Dr. strongly advised against distant travel after around 30 weeks. Of course I could have if I wanted, she just discouraged it.

VWL Mom
04-09-2013, 12:09 PM
Afraid I am agreement with what all the others have said. This decision should be left to your wife and her doctor. Besides the humidity and what not, traveling at 31 weeks with a 1 year old could put unnecessary stress on your wife and the baby. I think I'd pass on this.

PirateLover
04-09-2013, 02:17 PM
I know how exciting it is every time a possibility for a trip comes up, but I'm leaning towards yes, it could be a little nuts. As Nat said, definitely purchase trip insurance if you go, and as Faline said, make sure all bases are covered with your own insurance in case of unexpected early delivery. Your wife may have felt fine at 31 weeks while she was pregnant with your 1 year old, but that's no guarantee as to how she'll feel with this one. And, no matter how great you feel, yes, the heat and humidity in the summer can be quite intense, especially for someone who is pregnant. It might be more trouble than it's worth this time around. But that is just my opinion.

vamaggie
04-09-2013, 02:52 PM
1200 miles from home may be a bit too far so close to the end of a pregnancy. I would echo the previous posters who say talk with your wife's OB/GYN-many will not allow travel that far away from home (or any flying) in the third trimester.

January-2007
04-10-2013, 10:45 AM
Having experienced Walt Disney World in August while 7 months pregnant I would strongly advise against it.

Kairi_7378
04-10-2013, 06:44 PM

When I was 31 weeks pregnant with my second, our other son was about 1 1/2. We did visit Disneyland during my pregnancy, and with our son. It was enjoyable. However, my second pregnancy had some complications and I ended up on modified bed rest at 26 weeks, so the Disneyland day trips had to stop. By 31 weeks, I was very uncomfortable, and wouldn't have even wanted to visit the parks if I could. :(

If your wife is up for it, and her pregnancy is going well, go ahead and plan the trip. BUT, I would strongly recommend purchasing trip insurance in case things change and your wife is not able to go at the last minute.

If she plans to take it easy, stay as cool as possible and hydrate constantly, it will be okay. I would recommend LOTS of pool time and perhaps doing most of the park touring in the very early morning or in the early evenings.

I agree with all that Natalie has said, and also Faline's comments about insurance. I would also defer to your wife's doctor. When I hit a certain point in my last pregnancy, I was told to not go more than 1.5 hours away from the hospital.

The Unoffical Guide to WDW has a good section about travelling in pregnancy should you decide to go.

BrerGnat
04-10-2013, 06:59 PM
It also might be worth noting that dehydration, even rather minor, can trigger contractions/labor in a very pregnant woman. This would be a pretty fair concern for the timing of this trip.

Have you considered taking your 1 year old and letting your wife have some nice alone, quiet time at home before the baby comes? I'm sure she'd appreciate that. I know I would have loved that at the end of my second pregnancy!

jaredkari
04-11-2013, 07:45 AM
Why do you all have to be the voice of reason!!!:mad:

Just kidding, no my wife and I have talked it over and as much as I am having a hard time resisting WDW we decided it is not a good idea. Thanks for your input.

faline
04-11-2013, 07:49 AM
It won't be long before you have another wonderful reason for planning another trip!!