PDA

View Full Version : Packing for plane ride?

minnie-mouse
04-02-2013, 08:16 AM
Am I allowed to pack unopened juice boxes in my carry on bag for Southwest flight? Also, DH says he doesnt think I can pack liquid shamppo and conditioner in my checked luggage. I thought I did that last trip. Can I do that? Thanks for the help.

Katzateer
04-02-2013, 08:22 AM
If your baggage check is like my recent ones the answer is no. But after Aoril 25th you can bring your pocket knife :confused: :scratch:

PopPhan
04-02-2013, 08:33 AM
Here is the Prohibited List from the TSA site.....

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items

I don't see anything about shampoos/conditioners being prohibited in checked luggage.

And for the liquids....

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/3-1-1-carry-ons

BrerGnat
04-02-2013, 08:45 AM
You can usually take along the SMALL juice boxes for kids in a carry on. If it's around 4oz or less, they will allow it. We were allowed those and some of those GoGo Squeeze applesauce pouches on our last flight. We had to pack lunch for our kids as we were flying cross country and left too early in the morning for anything other than Starbucks to be open at the airport.

You can definitely pack shampoo and conditioner (along with any other liquid toiletries) in your checked baggage. No restrictions on that kind of thing.

azcavalier
04-02-2013, 09:10 AM
The restrictions on liquids/gels/pastes is only for carry on luggage. You can pack any amount of that stuff in your checked bags. They just don't want you to have access to it on the plane. You could have a gallon of shampoo in your checked suitcase, and they wouldn't care (as long as there isn't a timer attached to it).

Also, it only applies to stuff you bring through security. Once you get through security, you could go buy a liter of water and take that on the plane just fine. So, if you wait until going through security and then buy fruit juice from an airport vendor, they don't care about that either.

TinkerbellT421
04-02-2013, 09:45 AM
In checked luggage you can pack shampoo, conditioners, gels, hair spray, etc. I have done that for every trip since 2007, never had a problem. This even includes a few trips where I was sick and had Nyquil and other liquid cold medicines.

Carry-ons, would be where the answer is "as long as it is 4oz and under" like others have also said. And the links PopPhan listed are also helpful in that sort of thing.

vamaggie
04-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Am I allowed to pack unopened juice boxes in my carry on bag for Southwest flight? Also, DH says he doesnt think I can pack liquid shamppo and conditioner in my checked luggage. I thought I did that last trip. Can I do that? Thanks for the help.

I know they let you bring formula and bottles of drinks for babies but I do not think they allow drink boxes (even unopened) if they are >3oz unless your child is a baby. My friend had a 4oz unopened apple sauce confiscated last Nov. (Her kids are older)

You can pack whatever liquids you want in your checked bags but I would put liquids in a ziploc bag in case they explode (been there, done that!)

BrerGnat
04-03-2013, 07:02 PM
I know they let you bring formula and bottles of drinks for babies but I do not think they allow drink boxes (even unopened) if they are >3oz unless your child is a baby. My friend had a 4oz unopened apple sauce confiscated last Nov. (Her kids are older)

You can pack whatever liquids you want in your checked bags but I would put liquids in a ziploc bag in case they explode (been there, done that!)

I think the food/drink thing really comes down to the TSA agent at the time. Our kids are older as well, but we simply put the applesauce pouches and juice boxes in a plastic ziploc like they were toiletries, and they had no problem with them. The applesauce pouches are 3.27oz and the juice boxes were 4 oz each. This was at Dulles airport.

MargaretMessler
04-03-2013, 08:02 PM
If it's close enough to the 3 oz, a lot of TSA agents would probably let it pass, but me, I would rather spend more money purchasing these items past the checkpoint (if available) than they go to waste when confiscated.

vamaggie
04-04-2013, 07:45 AM
I think the food/drink thing really comes down to the TSA agent at the time. Our kids are older as well, but we simply put the applesauce pouches and juice boxes in a plastic ziploc like they were toiletries, and they had no problem with them. The applesauce pouches are 3.27oz and the juice boxes were 4 oz each. This was at Dulles airport.

So true Natalie (my friend was flying out of ABQ). TSA is kinda a "cr-p shoot" depending on the agent you get on any day. We have even had toothpaste tubes confiscated (unopened even) and they were 4 oz. I have gotten into the habit of not taking any thing that could be thought of as liquid/gel and sticking with the bananas & apples vs applesauce.

mousetrapper
04-14-2013, 06:29 PM
I just make sure all my carry-on liquids are 3 oz. or less and in a clear quart-size ziploc bag. I think the regulations say you can only have one bag-worth but I usually have two. :blush:

I recall one business trip I was on where a woman in front of me had a full-size (gallon I guess) ziploc crammed full of all sorts of bottles and tubes - many that were more than 3 oz. I thought, uh oh, she's going to have to forfeit all of that, but lo and behold, the security personnel didn't blink.

So I guess you just never know what the particular security staff is going to do. I choose not to risk it.