PDA

View Full Version : Call the Midwife, Season 2

MNNHFLTX
03-31-2013, 07:49 PM
Who'll be watching? I will! I've heard that the new season will be a bit grittier than before, an effort to make it conform more with the reality of London's East End in the 1950's. We'll see!

Melanie
03-31-2013, 08:13 PM
Recording this and Mr. Sefridge tonight, as I'm going to watch Amazing Race live. I'll probably watch after TAR if I'm not too tired. Been looking forward to it. :thumbsup:

BriarRose0708
03-31-2013, 08:52 PM
Ugh, I have to miss the premier tonight so will catch up online tomorrow or Tuesday. Can't wait for it!!!

MNNHFLTX
04-01-2013, 02:09 PM
Enjoyed last night's show and found it interesting that the two main storylines had a recurrent theme. I do think that ladder scenes on the ship were a bit drawn out and overly melodramatic, but I just loved the interaction between Trixie and Sister Evangelina.

Looking forward to seeing Jimmy again on next week's episode and a plotline with Cynthia at the center.

Melanie
04-01-2013, 03:33 PM
Ugh, today is just crazy and I'm not going to have time to watch. Sending the kiddos out the door back to school tomorrow after spring break, and then getting my cup of coffee and watching. :thumbsup:

MNNHFLTX
04-01-2013, 05:20 PM
Ugh, today is just crazy and I'm not going to have time to watch. Sending the kiddos out the door back to school tomorrow after spring break, and then getting my cup of coffee and watching. :thumbsup:One of those days, huh? ;)

I don't think I gave away anything important, spoiler-wise. Hope you have time to watch it tomorrow.

Melanie
04-01-2013, 05:22 PM
I don't think I gave away anything important, spoiler-wise. Hope you have time to watch it tomorrow.

You didn't at all, and it's fine if you did. If it's aired here in the US, it's fair game. ;)

AgentC
04-01-2013, 06:09 PM
Must stop reading thread now. Can not be drawn into another series. :D

Melanie
04-01-2013, 10:02 PM

Cindy, it's like Downton. You could easily be done with season (series) 1 in 2-3 days. It's really good and I recommend you watch it. :D

BriarRose0708
04-01-2013, 10:05 PM
Jump in! It's a great series with fantastic acting and stories. Very short seasons and the second one just started. Hope you decide to watch!

MNNHFLTX
04-02-2013, 01:17 AM
Must stop reading thread now. Can not be drawn into another series. :DYou would like it, Cindy. The Brits know how to make great
(albeit short) TV series.

BriarRose0708
04-03-2013, 06:24 PM
Just caught up! With all the Downton drama going on I forgot how much I missed this show since season 1 ended. It was so good if not frustrating and sad.

I didn't get the bit at the end with Molly and her husband- did she try to kill her children or was it an accident and why did they leave the children on their own?

I hope Chummy doesn't leave, she's one of my favorites.

Melanie
04-03-2013, 06:29 PM
I didn't get the bit at the end with Molly and her husband- did she try to kill her children or was it an accident and why did they leave the children on their own?

She was leaving the kids to 'work', with her husband as the 'boss', which is the recurring theme Beth was talking about. Keeping it INTERCOT friendly. ;)

I find more of the episodes than not frustrating and sad. Not a lot prosperity going on there at that time.

BriarRose0708
04-03-2013, 10:50 PM
She was leaving the kids to 'work', with her husband as the 'boss', which is the recurring theme Beth was talking about. Keeping it INTERCOT friendly. ;)

I find more of the episodes than not frustrating and sad. Not a lot prosperity going on there at that time.

OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH ok. I thought that was what it was but couldn't be sure. I like that they've taken a more realistic view of the time and space and the series starts to get darker as Jenny experiences more and becomes less naiive. I like how the tone of the show evolves with her character.

MNNHFLTX
04-04-2013, 09:00 AM
In a way, this show had a happy ending. The children went to live with their grandmother, which was a far better place for them to be, plus it gave her the opportunity for a "do-over" in raising them. And the young Dutch woman gained confidence, stood up to her father and decided to go back home. That's one thing I come away with from CTM--there is still hope, even when bad things happen.

Melanie
04-10-2013, 03:31 PM
Just finished watching the latest episode. :crying:

I hope Chummy comes back! And Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy. I didn't see that coming.

MNNHFLTX
04-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Just finished watching the latest episode. :crying:

I hope Chummy comes back! And Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy. I didn't see that coming.They made a point out of saying the assignment was for six months, so it sounds like Chummy is coming back. :clappy: I think Miranda Hart is still making her own comedy series in the UK so she probably had to take a break for that. She and Peter have some of the sweetest scenes on the show. :)

BriarRose0708
04-28-2013, 10:12 PM
Wow. The show tackled a difficult subject tonight and I found it very hard to watch. The series continues to amaze me with how they present some of the happiest but also most sorrow-filled moments in a way that doesn't sugar coat but also doesn't go overboard with violence or gruesomeness. I know that women in that place and time (abroad and here in the US) were faced with similar situations and I can't imagine what it must have been like to be scared with no options other than an illegal way with horrible results. I love this show not only for the characters and the acting, but because it makes me so grateful to be a woman in 2013.

Melanie
04-29-2013, 11:44 AM
Great show last night. Enjoying this more and more every episode, and don't find myself missing Chummy that much at all. Poor Sister Bernadette. :(

MNNHFLTX
04-29-2013, 08:03 PM
I know that women in that place and time (abroad and here in the US) were faced with similar situations and I can't imagine what it must have been like to be scared with no options other than an illegal way with horrible results. I love this show not only for the characters and the acting, but because it makes me so grateful to be a woman in 2013.So true! Even as I watched this episode, I had to remind myself that the societal norms of that time were much different than today. As I watched that poor woman I kept thinking that someone (besides Mrs. Pritchard) should tell her if she didn't want more children she should just say so to her husband (family friendly--if you get my drift). There were so few options. :(

One thing I have to say about the way they portray Jenny--she needs to take a lesson from the nuns on finesse in dealing with her patients. Her emotional reaction to distressing situations is not very subtle at times. An example last week was the baby born with spina bifida. How distressing for the poor mother to see Jenny crying about the baby.

Melanie
05-06-2013, 12:12 PM
My goodness, this show gives my tear ducts a work out. I think I cried from the 30 minute mark on with last night's episode. :cry:

Yay - Chummy and Peter return next week!

BriarRose0708
05-07-2013, 09:00 AM
My goodness, this show gives my tear ducts a work out. I think I cried from the 30 minute mark on with last night's episode. :cry:

Yay - Chummy and Peter return next week!

I know, the hits keep on coming for poor Sister Bernadette. Looking forward to the return of Chummy. I recently started following Miranda Hart on Twitter and she is a riot!