PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Paris

malz288
03-26-2013, 05:04 PM
Hi

So I am accompanying my boyfriend on a business trip to Paris and I obviously I wanted to spend a day at disneyland. I have never been to Paris but am a seasoned veteran of WDW and have visied DL a number of times as well. My boyfriend HATES Disney and all theme parks so the day we go is really all for me. So I was wondering if anyone knew any ins and outs to DLP and could give me any planning tips on what we should do and what should be avoided. My boyfriend is not a fan of crowds and lines and I'm not looking to do every ride especially if there is an American version of the ride. Well be staying in Paris and taking public transportation to get there. Any advice would be more than welcome. I feel at a complete loss on how to even gather the information I need!

Quadstriker
03-26-2013, 05:43 PM
Consider getting Rick Steves Paris book. It has a small section on DLP, as well as everything else you would want to do.

And when I say "consider getting" I really mean "Buy it right now."

Pirate Granny
03-26-2013, 10:15 PM
They have a nice English web site also. We took the public transportation to Paris...we took the bus from the airport to the Disney hotel, stayed three nights then on to Paris for ten days.

Awesome_guy
03-26-2013, 11:29 PM
Disneyland Paris is a solid 30/40 minutes each direction outside of Paris proper on the RER train. You might consider a night's stay the evening before or the evening of, especially if you're doing one day (in or near Marne la Valee or Bailley Romanvilliers). An hour/hour-and-a-half commuting on top of a full on Disney day might be intense?

I'm not sure if you're doing both parks (Disneyland Parc and Disney Studios). We did two day, two park passes (akin to Park Hoppers) and did MOST of what we wanted to do the first day and some of our extras the next day, as both parks are side-by-side. We were a group of 4 with 2 of us disney fans and 2 of us not at all. (the other 2 didn't do the 2nd day). Not sure when you're going but the parks were SWAMPED when we were there for summer.

The biggest thing if you're there before September 30th, 2013 would be to see Disney Dreams. It was the 20th anniversary castle show, fireworks show, and water show extended from last year. Incredible. Worth the train trip out just for that. It's bilingual English/French with Peter in English and Wendy in French (or vice versa).

You'll notice right away no one is wearing Mickey Ears (aside from a few stuffed Minnie ears)... and a few other differences in the overall "feel" and pace of the parks.

Also unique to Disneyland Paris are (hope these aren't spoilers):
+ Crush's Coaster (fun and well done, no fast pass though) ... In Disney Studios
+ An "island" Big Thunder Mountain Railway ... very popular!! We had to do it the 2nd day and almost didn't get a FastPass. Adventureland and all things western/cowboy are very popular there
+ A fun surprise to walk by "under" the castle, and a pretty, picturesque castle, too.
+ Space Mountain 2, which is more like Rockin' Roller Coaster than any of the other Space Mountains.
+ Animagique (we saw and liked) and Cinemagique (we didn't get to see) in Studios. We also didn't get to the Armageddon effects show, but would be unique.
+ A Blue Lagoon restaurant in Pirates (like Blue Bayou at DLR) ... We were able to get reservations calling Disney Parks number and getting transferred toll-free.
+ Snow White's Scary Adventures is still here and the 1st edition of Star Tours if those have any
nostalgia
+ I liked the Small World, but maybe because there's more Canada representation and I'm Canadian.
+ There's a small Indiana Jones coaster which is kind of fun and unique, and wasn't crazy lined up our days.
+ Phantom Manor has a western storyline if that's enough of a difference to "check out"

What isn't plussed in Europe:
+ Rockin Roller Coaster in Studios has essentially no effects. Very similar start but it's all in black space with lighting only.
+ ToT is the DLR version without the moving forward.
+ There is no Splash Mountain to be found. =(

Hope this helps. It really is fun to explore and see how things translate over there. There are plenty of places to relax and rest, too.

MNNHFLTX
03-28-2013, 06:30 PM
I am going to Disneyland Paris with my family for a couple of days in the middle of May, so I have been asking the very same questions you are. I have received some very good advice in the Disneyland Paris forum on Tripadvisor. The following is a cut-and-paste from one of the threads on there that I found very helpful for planning out our one full day there. Sorry it is so long!

Disney hotels guests will already be in the main park from 8am, so I suggest you begin with the Studios. Try to get here by 9am or earlier, as they open the gates at 09.30. Turn right after going through Studio1 and run straight to CRUSH'S COASTER ride in Toon Studio section of the park, which is an indoor coaster in the dark. It usually has the longest queue all day, and no Fastpass facility. In August this can be 120 mins. You will see many people running in this direction as soon as they get through the park turnstiles as Crush is very popular.

Look at the park maps online before you go, so you can see where things are and not waste time there.

We like to be first in line at the Studios gates, so we can be in the front of the queue for Crush when it starts running. Rides officially begin at 10am, but they sometimes begin Crush earlier.

Then go to TOWER OF TERROR and get Fastpass tickets from the machines to the right of the ride entrance.

If the queue is not long at this point, it would be worth having a ride via the normal entrance, keeping your FP tickets for a 2nd ride in your given timeslot later, as it is a very good attraction.

Otherwise go to RC RACER in Toy Story Playland, which also does not have Fastpass so queue will get long.

You don't have to use your FP ticket for Tower of Terror exactly within the 30 min timeslot - they don't let you in early, but usually allow you through later, so you can fit this in around other things.

On your FP ticket is a time when you can get another one, so get a FP for ROCK n ROLLER COASTER as soon as you are able which is an indoor dark rollercoaster with 360 loops and spirals.

Moteurs Action Show is an outdoor action show with cars and motorbikes, showing how they make action movies with chase scenes etc. Times for this and some other shows/ parade will be on the Summer Time parks programme which you can see online nearer the time. Moteurs Action lasts about 45 mins plus seating time. Usually 3 shows daily in summer.

Cinemagique is inside a theatre and is excellent, so I recommend seeing this. Show times on the programme. This lasts about 30 mins.

Animagique is a singing/ dancing show with Characters from Disney movies, but it does have Mickey and Donald on stage if you want to see them. Lasts about 20 mins.

Armageddon Special Effects is based on the film. It has a pre show section before going into the main part of the attraction. It simulates being in a space station being hit by an asteroid, so dark and noisy.

Studio Tram Tours is not overly exciting, but the Catastrophe Canyon section is good. Has props from various films, and also a set mockup from Reign Of Fire movie.

Stitch Live is quite funny, and worth seeing if you have 15 mins to spare. Shows alternate in English and French.

Stars n Cars Parade is usually around 5pm in summer, so you won't see this if you have gone over to the main park by this time. I would have a late lunch around 3pm then go over to the Disneyland Park to give you time over there.

---------------

The Disneyland Park is larger, divided into 4 lands, and has the most Disney atmosphere with the Castle. The Studios is better for thrill rides though in general. This park is usually more busy with families with young children.

Go straight to Frontierland and get Fastpass tickets for BIG THUNDER MOUNTAIN. Check the queue time but it would probably be 60 mins or more, unless a parade or main show is on. Your FP time may be a few hours away, in the evening.

Go to PHANTOM MANOR also in Frontierland, which is a good attraction. The queue may look long, but it does move quickly.

INDIANA JONES TEMPLE OF PERIL is an outdoor coaster with a 360 loop. It does have FP but you can only get another one after the time on your current ticket. It is tucked away in Adventureland, and has the tallest height requirement in the parks, so not usually as busy as other coaster rides.

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN ride in Adventureland is great, so don't miss that. The queue keeps moving well as the ride has large capacity boats.

SPACE MOUNTAIN in Discoveryland is similar to Rock n Roller coaster but older and more rattly. It is slightly more extreme than R&RC. This ride has Fastpass but the queue is not usually very long.

STAR TOURS is a simulator ride, not extreme, and quite old and grainy now, but worth doing if you have time. This also has Fastpass.

BUZZ LIGHTYEAR LASER BLAST is not a thrill ride, but is good fun, shooting at targets with alien theming with laser guns.

CAPTAIN EO 3D theatre is only worth doing if you are a Michael Jackson fan. This film is also old and grainy, being the original version.

Times of shows and parades will be on the park programme. The parade with floats is usually on around 7.15pm in summer.

I have not mentioned any rides in Fantasyland as these are essentially for younger children, but you might want a boat ride through the classic Small World ride if you have time!

If you are just eating fast food as you go during the day avoid the peak times when counter queues will be long. If you want to have dinner in a table service or buffet restaurant, then advance reservations are strongly advised.

MNNHFLTX
03-28-2013, 06:39 PM
From that post you can kind of see which rides sound similar to their American counterparts and which ones are new or different. I have heard that Pirates of the Caribbean, Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Indiana Jones, Small World and Phantom Manor are different enough from the the U.S. versions to merit a ride. We will probably not visit/ride Captain EO, Star Tours (they still have the old version, from what I can tell), Moteurs Action Show and Tower of Terror unless we have extra time.

Our first day there will be a half day and looks to be a busy one (a national holiday in France) so we will most likely try to do some things in Disneyland Park. The next full day we will start the day out in the Studios to make sure we can do Crush's Coaster at least once, if not twice, as well at RC Racers, Cinemagique and Armageddon. Hopefully at that point we can get over the other park to do whatever we couldn't the day before (with the help of FP).

Awesome_guy
03-28-2013, 10:48 PM
Disney hotels guests will already be in the main park from 8am, so I suggest you begin with the Studios. Try to get here by 9am or earlier, as they open the gates at 09.30. Turn right after going through Studio1 and run straight to CRUSH'S COASTER ride in Toon Studio section of the park, which is an indoor coaster in the dark.

INDIANA JONES TEMPLE OF PERIL is an outdoor coaster with a 360 loop. It does have FP but you can only get another one after the time on your current ticket. It is tucked away in Adventureland, and has the tallest height requirement in the parks, so not usually as busy as other coaster rides.

If you are just eating fast food as you go during the day avoid the peak times when counter queues will be long. If you want to have dinner in a table service or buffet restaurant, then advance reservations are strongly advised.

Our first day there will be a half day and looks to be a busy one (a national holiday in France) so we will most likely try to do some things in Disneyland Park. The next full day we will start the day out in the Studios to make sure we can do Crush's Coaster at least once, if not twice, as well at RC Racers, Cinemagique and Armageddon. Hopefully at that point we can get over the other park to do whatever we couldn't the day before (with the help of FP).

I'd agree with pretty much everything provided. To extend on some points:

- Crush's Coaster (worth it!!) indeed has no FastPass and a windy deceptive line. Our experience was that Studios opened half an hour early allowing guests to line up early but attractions opening at proper times. We were in Crush's Coaster line for a bit with no movement then at opening time, it began moving. It's not a super quick loading attraction. Disneyland Parc opened early but guests were held at the pinwheel (with hotel guests allowed in early to the Fantasyland aspect of the pinwheel... the brunt of lining up was at Frontierland. (So much so, that I'd argue a line up at Adventureland would get you to Thunder Mountain more efficiently if that's the goal). I think hotel guests alternate which park they get early entry to?

- We found the Indiana Jones Temple du Peril coaster quite jerky (it's in a small space and keeps layering over itself); far more than Space Mountain 2. You can see the whole attraction though, so you'll know if it's for you right away.

- The nice thing of making ToT work out is that you do have a pretty cool view of both parks before/during your plunges. The grounds are great. The Cast Members were great! The pre show is French (with English captioning). It's your best chance to see the French countryside AND the French home to all things Disney.

- Counter service anywhere was faaaar from efficient, so prepare yourself for that. Lines do not need to be too long to warrant a substantial wait. There is a fun little counter service in Tomorrowland with a huuuuge theatre showing cartoons. There at least folks can wait inside in the cool, and wait in piece. All counter services including Main Street bakery serve Stella Artois; you're in Europe after all.

(Again, 1 407 WDISNEY will get you connected to Disneyland Paris for any reservations, dinner or otherwise without international calling rates. Worked for us, easy!)

Enjoy! ... And Disney Dreams night show. Can't be said enough. So well done! =)

malz288
03-31-2013, 09:05 AM
Thanks so much! We probably won't do many rides especially if they're similar to Orlando. Well probably do more walking around and exploring since my boyfriend HATES lines. Seems like crush's coaster will have to be avoided to keep the peace. The nighttime show seems amazing. That's something I hope to do :mickey:

disneygoofball
04-05-2013, 09:30 AM
Just a note on travel - make sure you pack at least one change of clothes in your carry-on (I do a couple days worth) when flying into or through Charles de Gaulle. The amount of luggage lost/delayed in that airport is astronomical. (From my inside source there, the current rate for Air France luggage is 1 in every 7 bags is lost in Charles de Gaulle). We have found this to be absolutely true - I think I've only been through once and gotten all my luggage. On a positive note, we've always gotten our luggage within a few days, but I advise anyone flying to or through Paris to be prepared for a day or two without your luggage. Then if it happens to be waiting for you at baggage claim, it's an added bonus. :thumbsup:

MNNHFLTX
04-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Just a note on travel - make sure you pack at least one change of clothes in your carry-on (I do a couple days worth) when flying into or through Charles de Gaulle. The amount of luggage lost/delayed in that airport is astronomical. (From my inside source there, the current rate for Air France luggage is 1 in every 7 bags is lost in Charles de Gaulle). We have found this to be absolutely true - I think I've only been through once and gotten all my luggage. On a positive note, we've always gotten our luggage within a few days, but I advise anyone flying to or through Paris to be prepared for a day or two without your luggage. Then if it happens to be waiting for you at baggage claim, it's an added bonus. :thumbsup:Thanks for the heads up. All I can say is that I hope United has a better record than Air France. ;) but I will take an extra change of clothing and other necessities in a carryon, just in case.

Awesome_guy
04-06-2013, 03:00 PM
I don't want to sidetrack the discussion, but I think there is only some truth in Air France/CDG baggage lost, after just looking up statistics from both (this all made me curious to know a "typical" ratio:

The Association of European Airlines Consumer Report (showing 18.9 bags in 1000 delayed for Air France, with British Airways not too far away at 15.6).

The US' government's Air Travel Consumer Report has the US' worst offender for mishandled baggage (Atlantic Southeast Airlines at half of that at 9.17 in 1000).

From that, it MIGHT be possible that one in seven lost bags from Air France is a lost bag at CDG, but probably not 1 in 7 bags is lost overall. And it IS more possible for a bag to be lost by a European carrier than a US one. I couldn't find data by airport.

Nevertheless, good to have some carry-on to pull you through. I've only ever had a bag lost in SYD, and it was a pain... getting delivered to my place two full days later. =)

Awesome_guy
04-06-2013, 03:06 PM
United, btw... is a pretty solid 3.35 in 1000 mishandled bags reported.

MNNHFLTX
04-06-2013, 03:46 PM
United, btw... is a pretty solid 3.35 in 1000 mishandled bags reported.Thanks, Travis. Frankly, I don't have a lot of faith in United baggage handling--two years ago they lost my bag for two days on a non-stop from Houston to Dulles. Found it had been at Dulles most of the time, with the baggage reps denying it was there, when apparently they just didn't feel like going out and checking. In fact, my husband and son had to drive 45 minutes back to the airport and check themselves to find it. Can you tell I am an embittered former Continental customer? ;)

Anyway, we connect through Newark on our France trip. Hope the luggage makes the connection!

BTW, to the OP--what DLP tickets are you going to buy? The FNAC website often has discounted Francilien tickets for certain dates. We are buying 2-day 2-park tickets for about $36 less per ticket than buying them at the parks. You have to buy them at least five days ahead of time and pick them up at any FNAC store with ID and the credit card they were purchased with. There is a FNAC store on the Champs Elysees in Paris where we will pick ours up. :thumbsup:

disneygoofball
04-06-2013, 05:02 PM
From that, it MIGHT be possible that one in seven lost bags from Air France is a lost bag at CDG, but probably not 1 in 7 bags is lost overall. And it IS more possible for a bag to be lost by a European carrier than a US one. I couldn't find data by airport.

Yeah, my information came from an executive dealing directly with this issue with Air France in Paris. It may be from internal documents or records, I honestly don't know. And I couldn't tell you what the "official" outside research shows, but I'm sure that there are plenty of American carriers that have issues, too. Whatever the statistic is, just wanted to give a heads up because I know what a hassle it is when the unexpected occurs. Always better to be prepared! (and I wasn't even a boy scout!) ;)

If you have the right mindset going in, you can make the best of any situation! :thumbsup:

malz288
04-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Thanks for all the tips! I definitely will be cramming as much stuff in my carry on as possible. I haven bought any tickets yet because my boyfriend is so against Disney and none of our plans are definite yet. We're really going to Paris on a business trip and will be traveling with 5 other people around Paris. We're only going to go to DLP if we have the time/I make a good case for us to go. I think we would only do one day one park because that's all he could handle so Ill just try to cram as much as possible into the one day. Once everything is planned I'm going to buy the tickets for the parks then.

Main Street Jim
04-09-2013, 10:22 PM
One day, one park?

Disneyland Parc.

There's a Sleeping Beauty walkthrough attraction inside the castle, along with a *very cool* dragon down in the dungeon :thumbsup:

Pirates, Thunder, and Phantom Manor are all different enough to warrant a visit. We thought Autopia was *very* cool compared to Speedway in Florida.

Space Mountain? *Nice*. Launched upwards, over, and down into the "mountain" through a giant cannon - a la "From the Earth to the Moon". It's the only Space Mountain with a loop :)

it's a small world was very nicely done as well.

We also noticed that the park is *very* well-kept. No trash on the ground, everything touched up and freshly painted, no lights out anywhere.

We ate at Walt's on Main Street. The upstairs dining room provides a nice view of Main Street, and photos all over the place pay homage to the wonderful man that gave us Disneyland.

If you take the train to get around the park, keep in mind that they're not much in a hurry <LOL>. We saw "wait time" signs posted up to sixty minutes at times during the day at the various stops - but...I don't think we ever waited more than ten minutes for any train (wasn't very crowded at all when we were there).

We honeymooned in Paris; we stayed at a Marriott resort only three miles from the parks. Took the bus in the morning on the two days that we visited the park, and it dropped us off right in front of the park/Disneyland Paris Hotel.

There's also a Downtown Disney type place, but not as big as the one in Florida.