PDA

View Full Version : Powered wheelchair vs push wheelchair

Button1215
03-25-2013, 09:40 PM
We will be traveling this fall with 5 adults and two small children, in which one of the adults is in a powered wheelchair. She is unable to walk so we were wondering what the best chair would be to bring? We are not sure if her powered chair would last the full day at the park but on the other hand pushing her everyday might be exhausting. Any suggestions from people who have travelled with a powered chair in the past?

Pirate Granny
03-26-2013, 07:10 AM
Depends on how long it takes to recharge. The first aid place in each park would have somewhere to plug in...but I think if you have to push the electric one that may be a lot heavier. We always pushed my dad, but he only weighed 135. Some nice man always came behind me and asked if he could assist when pushing the chair up the ramp at the Land in Epcot! people are so nice!

faline
03-26-2013, 07:55 AM
I'm not sure how long the charge lasts and/or how long your park day is. I think for most typical park days, the power scooter will last for you.

Also, since this individual is used to using a power scooter, I would certainly try to stay with this option. It does provide her with more freedom to go where she wants to go rather than being pushed to where the pusher would like to go. After foot surgery a few years ago, I much appreciated the power chairs available in stores rather than the push ones.

KiNg4aDaY
03-26-2013, 09:36 AM
I would reccommend the power chair as opposed to the push one. As others have said, if its running low on power the first aid stations in the parks can charge them up for you.

The powered chair not only gives the other people in the party the ability to not have to push the other around, but it gives the person in the chair freedom of movement around the parks if there is something they want to do seperate from the others.

PETE FROM NYC
03-27-2013, 04:44 PM
DW and I are both scooter users due to arthritic knees, and we each have our own. What was told to me by a CM is that if I need to recharge during the day, just ask any CM and they will direct you. Also, you may find some street lights that have outlets on them. Just DO NOT plug in during night shows b/c the power is dimmed. Sometimes you can also plug in in one of the shops.

LVT
03-28-2013, 07:03 PM
The Rapunel restrooms are supposed to have charging place for phones. Would that include simple plug-ins for power chairs?

steamboat willy
06-26-2013, 04:18 PM
We have done Disney many time with DW in a chair.
This may not be for everyone, but this is how we do it.
At the Resort, she uses her power chair inside the room and much around the grounds. I push her in the regular wheelchair at ALL four parks or anywhere away from Resorts. Her driving the power chair with crowds and close quarters was a bit overwhelming to say the least. She was not able to enjoy her surroundings and still drive the chair. I know my way around as well as around "things & people".
This plan works great for us. Look Out, Here we come in October!