PDA

View Full Version : room upgrades?

KiNg4aDaY
03-25-2013, 10:31 AM
I was just sitting here thinking about my trip (I leave 2 weeks from today) and I was thinking about the possibility of overbooking. I've worked in the hotel industry before and this was something that happened but we tried to make it so it didn't happen.

I am staying in a standard room with 2 beds at Caribbean Beach. With it just being me in the room would it be likely they would switch me to a room with one bed so they can have a room with two so they can put a family in the multiple bed room?

In the hotel where I worked we did this a lot. If we had a single traveler we would upgrade them to a room with 1 bed (which cost more), if we had a lot of families coming in where we would need multiple beds.

Just curious if anyone knows if this ever happens at WDW.:confused:

BelleBeauty
03-25-2013, 11:21 AM
I'm not sure exactly why we were switched, but when my husband and I went in November 2011 we were upgraded to a king room. Capacity was low then at the resort (I believe, since we really didn't see a lot of people).

My recommendation is not to do online check-in, as this seems to pretty much ignore any of your room requests. But complete the normal request process right before you go and then ask again when you check in. I think if they have a room available it is likely they will switch you.

Dream'nDisney
03-25-2013, 05:22 PM
Is a king room an upgrade? I've never really thought of a king room being an upgrade unless it was a suite.

WhiteRose1
03-25-2013, 08:45 PM
A king bed room is sometimes an upgrade in business traveler hotels...some call them 'executive' rooms, even though they are just regular rooms with a king bed. Sometimes the room layout is different, giving the maximum space for a sofa, chair, table, desk, etc.

In my experience Disney is not typical. I have seen the following:

non-disney hotels
During busy season with nearly all 'basic rooms' booked and 'suites' not booked, desk agents can upgrade people to a suite or better class of room to free up a basic room. This happens if the hotel gets lots of 'walk in traffic' because walk in traffic will pay for a basic room, but not usually a suite. Who they upgrade and why is up to their discretion. (Usually smiling, happy, cheerful people who engage the desk agent are more likely to get an upgrade.)

Result: Happy upgraded customer, higher room occupancy.

Less often the following can happen:
During slow season with not many rooms booked, suites or regular rooms, desk agents can upgrade people to fill certain parts of the hotel to allow other sections/buildings to be prepared for 'deep cleaning', or to allow less staff to work during these slow times.
Result: Happy upgraded customer, deep cleaning can occur without disrupting customers.

With Disney, we got upgraded during a slow season to club level. It was our 5th Anniversary.
I have been to Disney several times and only gotten one room upgrade.

We have received upgrades during non-disney hotel stays many times because we have status with most of the major chains (We are both business travelers and have gold/platinum/diamond status with major chains.)

Before we got status, we would try to book vacation hotel stays near a birthday or anniversary, and we have gotten some truly remarkable rooms because of this! Corner rooms, 2 room suites, 2 bedroom suites, family suites, concierge suites, or just nicer rooms. We NEVER ask for a room upgrade...we do tell the desk agent we are traveling for a special occasion.:blush:

Just book the room you want, and be happy when you get it.

Pirate Granny
03-26-2013, 07:22 AM
Most king rooms are considered premium...if you ask to upgrade and available they will move you FOR THE INCREASED COST. You get what you asked for and paid for! Don't count on any upgrades during the spring/Easter break!

Katzateer
03-26-2013, 08:53 AM
We get a king bed and I don't think it is an upgrade at Disney. With just 2 adults in a room it isn't a problem - the only time we didn't get one we got 2 connecting rooms ( one for 2 young teens) and the only connecting rooms they had available were 2 with doubles. We could have gotten a king and a non- connecting double but the girls weren't old enough for that at the time.

It seems when we get a king the bathrooms are handicapped accessible - are all king rooms at the values made that way?? There is a lot of extra room around the beds and the bathroom is set up for wheelchairs.

KiNg4aDaY
03-26-2013, 09:28 AM
thanks for the replies. I wasn't expecting an upgrade at all. I was just curious if this ever happened in Disney hotels. I already did the online check in and everything, so I highly doubt they would do it anyways.

on that note, is it a lot faster process since I did the online check in? I remember checking in at All star Movies was a little bit of a process when I was there about 6 years ago.

Katzateer
03-26-2013, 04:11 PM
I did get an upgrade in Jan. - booked a Little Mermaid room but was upgraded to a Lion King Suite. It was a real surprise for us we got the upgrade and loved it!!

Suggestions - don't use online checkin, politely ask for upgrade and see what happens. I don't think they do that very often but we were very lucky!

Good luck!:thumbsup:

Welovejiminy!
03-26-2013, 05:35 PM
I have never asked for a room upgrade but have received an upgrade twice. Both times were during the slow season. Both times I checked in around 9:30 am believe it or not, and the rooms were ready. On our last visit we stayed at the BC, booked a standard room, and ended up in a club level room with an Epcot view! Our balcony gave us a front row view of Illuminations every night. Disney knows what they are doing. Once you stay in an upgraded room, you get spoiled and don't want to book a standard room on the next trip. I'm crossing my fingers on my upcoming trip to the YC that my luck continues, since I booked a standard room. I also never do online check in. I'll cross my fingers and sprinkle some pixie dust that your upgrade comes through. Good Luck!!!